SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-05 01:32:33

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

[es ist gelöst] Any GTK theme gurus?

Heya folks!

I'm using the Mediterrenean Dark theme and think it's the bees knees except for a few select issues.  My primary one being the blue  selected item bg color.

gdJXpxJ.png

I'm a little partial to orange, so I opened the gtk.css in theme found in my .themes folder, found the two entries and altered them.

@define-color selected_bg_color #CC6900;
@define-color theme_selected_bg_color #CC6900;

I logged out and back in to find the same color.   I applied a different theme then came back to it but the color persists.  I can even see the blue mocking me on the color tab of lxappearance, but can't change it there since I don't have the lx session manager installed.

I suspect I've managed to edit the wrong thing or maybe there's some type  of caching going on. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by schwim (2015-04-05 13:38:19)

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2015-04-05 09:48:44

unfugr
#! Member

Re: [es ist gelöst] Any GTK theme gurus?

I'm no theme guru.
But this is what I do if I want to change a colour in a theme.

If my theme resides in /usr/share/themes I do

cp -r /usr/share/themes/my-theme ~/.themes/my-theme-custom

then

cd ~/.themes/my-theme-custom
grep -lr hexcode-of-colour-I-want-to-change-without-leading-#

...and I have a list with all files containig this colour.

More fun:

vim -p $(grep -lr hexcode-of-colour-I-want-to-change-without-leading-#)

and then search and replace.
...if you happen to use vim, but it should work with every editor that is able to open multiple files.

If the background in your theme happens to be an image file that is not defined by xml (you can edit *.svg or *.xpm in your text editor, but not *.png for example) ...well, you have to ask your resident gimp for help.

Still in your theme directory:

gimp $(find -name *.png)

...opens all *.png contained in your theme in gimp.

Last edited by unfugr (2015-04-05 10:47:25)

#3 2015-04-05 11:52:46

dkeg
#! Die Hard

I do not use, have, or know too much around GTK3, but is it possible that you also need to edit the GTK2 theme? It is always interesting to see the different ways that users solve their tasks. Generally if you are in vim, and you want too search and replace in one fell swoop

vim filetoedit
:%s /oldvalue/newvalue/g

Good Luck

grill it | the rocky path may just be the best path

#4 2015-04-05 13:31:00

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

Yeah you will need to edit both files as you never know which app is using which gtk version. I am no guru though, One thing though, that image shows some browser stuff. Are you sure that color is not being controlled by the browser? What I mean is, if the selected background color works as expected in other places but is blue in the browser, then the browser theme will be controlling the color.

Last edited by tknomanzr (2015-04-05 13:34:01)

#5 2015-04-05 13:36:46

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

Hi there guys and thanks a bunch for your help!

It was indeed caused by not editing all files.  I mistakenly thought the files would use the same definitions, so I had searched for "selected_bg_color".  Searching for the color instead found three more files, all of which called it something different. It's as if every morning the GTK developers pulled a paper from a hat to decide what they would call the definitions.

Last edited by schwim (2015-04-05 13:37:24)

#6 2015-04-05 14:16:47

damo
#! gimpbanger

schwim wrote:

..... It's as if every morning the GTK developers pulled a paper from a hat to decide what they would call the definitions.

Welcome to the wonderful world of gtk themeing big_smile

(I hope everyone gives lots of kudos to @hhh when the Bunsen theme is finalized, because even modifying an existing theme is a big task)

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#7 2015-04-05 16:35:19

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

Truth be told, graybird, your IcyBlack theme, or hhh's BunsenLabs themes are great places to start with gtk themes. Compared to other stuff I have seen, they are very clean. I derived the theme that I used for wtfbox from IcyBlack and I have to say, compared to say Mate's themes, .xsession-errors stays pretty clean. I find gtk theming to be alot like coding .css for the web though. It just takes a lot of trial and error to figure out what is what,

Board footer