SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-01 18:35:48

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

[El Solvedo] Fuse / SSHFS frontend?

Hey there folks,

To date, I have used the terminal to both mount and unmout a remotely hosted filesystem.  I'm using:

sshfs -o workaround=rename uname@domain.com:/home/uname /home/schwim/Cloud/Fuse/domain.com
fusermount -u /home/schwim/Cloud/Fuse/domain.com

The switches passed in the mount are necessary.  If they're not included, I'm unable to overwrite files through apps like Geany.

I have attempted to create OB menu entries for these two commands, but when I use them, the filesystem is not mounted properly. I get a "transport endpoint is not connected.

terminator --command="sshfs -o workaround=rename uname@domain.com:/home/uname /home/schwim/Cloud/Fuse/domain.com"

So my menu entries don't work.  I can't google a solution to that, so I thought I'd use a frontend.  After some googling, I found two that hadn't been updated in half a decade and some mentions of Gigolo, so I installed gigolo and gvfs-fuse.

Opening gigolo, I see my mounted remote filesystem, so I made a bookmark.  Unmounting didn't work and trying to mount via the bookmark didn't work.  I deleted the bookmark and tried to create one on my own.  That's when I really got confused.  The bookmark doesn't allow for a local mountpoint or any switches.  TBH, it doesn't allow for anything but a bookmark color and URI.

I simply want to be able to mount and unmount this filesystem quickly without any hoops.  Anyone know of a frontend/gui/method that I might be able to utilize?

Thanks for your time!

Last edited by schwim (2015-04-03 23:32:26)

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2015-04-01 18:49:36

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Re: [El Solvedo] Fuse / SSHFS frontend?

I know absolutely nothing about remote filesystems so please excuse me if I'm talking nonsense here, but have you tried running the commands without using terminator?

<item label="Mount">
	<action name="Execute">
		<execute>sshfs -o workaround=rename uname@domain.com:/home/uname /home/schwim/Cloud/Fuse/domain.com</execute>
	</action>
</item>

#3 2015-04-01 18:53:16

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

I did but I didn't get a prompt for the password when I tried it so it never connected.

#4 2015-04-01 19:00:40

Joe90
#! Junkie

Try yad ?  ( a bazillion times better than Zenity!)

Yad on this forum

You will need to build the frontend but it is fairly easy.

Surprised gigolo doesn't do it for you, though?

#5 2015-04-01 19:00:42

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

I have a wrapper script that sets up my sshfs stuff. I'll post it when I get home. It's nowhere near that complicated. Once you get a working wrapper, it is easy enough to call up via a menu entry.

#6 2015-04-01 20:11:32

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

Thanks a bunch guys.  Taking a look at yad and look forward to to your wrapper, tk.

Thanks!

#7 2015-04-01 23:53:55

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

Here is the bash script I use to connect via sshfs.

#!/bin/bash
	sshfs user@192.168.1.2:/home/neandra /home/tknomanzr/Public
exit 0

Of course, the IP can be fully qualified domain name. Also, not sure how your ssh is setup, but I usually just generate keys and work off of keys (no passwords) Passwords can present a security risk. This is at home, however, where I have complete control of my ssh setup. Fuse should handle the mounting.

If you still have troubles, I would likely think that polkt-1 would be the culprit. As you can see above, I am mounting a remote filesystem to my local filesystem, and doing it without root access. You will need to have your polkit rules setup to do that. If you have trouble, just let me know and I will share my polkit-1 setup.

I love this setup though, as it allows me to mount my media without having to setup a full-blown media server,

#8 2015-04-02 00:24:33

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

tknomanzr wrote:

Here is the bash script I use to connect via sshfs.

#!/bin/bash
	sshfs user@192.168.1.2:/home/neandra /home/tknomanzr/Public
exit 0

Of course, the IP can be fully qualified domain name. Also, not sure how your ssh is setup, but I usually just generate keys and work off of keys (no passwords) Passwords can present a security risk. This is at home, however, where I have complete control of my ssh setup. Fuse should handle the mounting.

Unless I'm googling incorrectly, I'm unfortunately not going to be able to use this, as I'm incapable of installing the necessary requirements on the remote server.  Running the script just freezes x, due to the need for the PW.

Looks like it's the terminal for for a bit longer.

#9 2015-04-02 01:20:36

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

Yeah, if you have no control over the remote host, that makes it rougher.

FWIW, though, I run my wrapper, titled mount_media from terminal enter the password for remote host, then as you can see, I mount the remote filesystem to Public (I just recently changed this, it used to be remote). I can then drag a shortcut over to my side-panel in my  file manager. If the remote system is properly mounted via sshfs, then it will show up in that shortcut. If not, it comes up as an empty directory.

One final note:
in order to use any shell script via openbox menu, I use x-terminal-emulator -e <shell_script> in the menu. Of course, I moved away from terminator sometime before Phillip's announcement and changed all his #! scripts to refer to x-terminal-emulator instead of terminator. If you are using the version of terminator in Wheezy, it does not honor the x-term -e flag. If you are using it an not absolutely stuck on Terminator, then you could change your terminal emulator to something that will recognize the -e flag, and I am pretty sure a sshfs wrapper script invoked via x-terminal-emulator -e <your_script> will work in the menu.

Last edited by tknomanzr (2015-04-02 01:21:16)

#10 2015-04-02 03:24:23

johnraff
nullglob
Website

If you don't want to open a terminal, you could also try putting gksu at the front of the command. A password window should pop up, just as if you were launching synaptic or something.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#11 2015-04-02 13:50:45

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

tknomanzr wrote:

One final note:
in order to use any shell script via openbox menu, I use x-terminal-emulator -e <shell_script> in the menu. Of course, I moved away from terminator sometime before Phillip's announcement and changed all his #! scripts to refer to x-terminal-emulator instead of terminator. If you are using the version of terminator in Wheezy, it does not honor the x-term -e flag. If you are using it an not absolutely stuck on Terminator, then you could change your terminal emulator to something that will recognize the -e flag, and I am pretty sure a sshfs wrapper script invoked via x-terminal-emulator -e <your_script> will work in the menu.

the command works for me, but for some reason, running either the batch file or just passing the command via a menu entry ends in a failed mount.  To be a bit more clear:

Running:

sshfs -o workaround=rename uname@domain.com:/home/uname /home/schwim/Cloud/Fuse/domain.com

Successfully mounts the filesystem.  Running that very same command through a menu entry(either in batch file or the command itself via terminal fails with the transport endpoint error after asking me for my password.   I exhausted Google but it's such a broad error, I couldn't find anyone with my particular issue.  That's why I was looking for a front end for mounting.

Thanks a bunch for your help!

#12 2015-04-02 14:04:36

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

johnraff wrote:

If you don't want to open a terminal, you could also try putting gksu at the front of the command. A password window should pop up, just as if you were launching synaptic or something.

That wouldn't pass the password to the mount command, however, correct?

#13 2015-04-02 19:50:38

hhh
Cityspeak

schwim wrote:

fusermount -u /home/schwim/Cloud/Fuse/domain.com

~/.bash_aliases that sucker? Sorry if that's a stupid suggestion.

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

#14 2015-04-02 21:36:25

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

I think I'll still be foiled by the need for a password.  As much as it pains me, I'm probably going to have to try the yad or zenity.  The only reason I'm not too hot to invest the time is because there's just as much of a chance for the same unexplainable failure that I'm facing with the menu command.

#15 2015-04-03 02:51:46

johnraff
nullglob
Website

schwim wrote:
johnraff wrote:

That wouldn't pass the password to the mount command, however, correct?

Yes it would I think. Give it a try.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#16 2015-04-03 14:48:58

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

I gave gksu a shot and while it didn't ask me for another password, it also didn't mount the drive.

The format I tried:

gksu batchfile <-- No response
gksu sshfs -o workaround=rename uname@domain.com:/home/uname /home/schwim/Cloud/Fuse/domain.com <-- Invalid option -o
gksu "sshfs -o workaround=rename uname@domain.com:/home/uname /home/schwim/Cloud/Fuse/domain.com" <-- No response

Last edited by schwim (2015-04-03 21:25:40)

#17 2015-04-03 22:53:33

VDP76
#! Bean Roaster

schwim, I don't know if this actually relevant but I got grsync working with a ssh mount point (i.e. having a prompt for the password) using x11-ssh-askpass under Arch.
I think the corresponding package for Debian is ssh-askpass...
HTH

#!#!#! Forum etiquette #!#!#!
Are you a new member!? Have you introduced yourself?!
CLI basics | LVM | smxi | chrooting | multiarch

#18 2015-04-03 23:31:50

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

Thanks a bunch VDP.  I had installed it a bit earlier, upon Google's orders, but was unable to get it to work right.

Good news, however! I figured out what I had screwed up during the installation of the RSA pub key.  I'm now getting a passwordless mounting and the command is working from the menu(knock on wood).

Thanks everyone for all your help!

#19 2015-04-04 00:09:03

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

Congrats. Glad you got it sorted.

Board footer