SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-30 19:25:59

damo
#! gimpbanger

Multimedia pipemenu

Is it a good idea? How configurable would it need to be?

BTW I've got a multimedia pipemenu going, but there several special cases when it comes to display of names in the menu, the command to run something etc. It might become a bit unwieldy for easy user-editing though sad

I need a list of 3/4 alternate music and media players (which won't cause too much contention), sound editor, video editor, mixers etc, (and which are in the repos)

Example list for options:

Deadbeef
Audacious
VLC
Gnome Mplayer (smplayer2)
LXMusic
Guayadeque

mhwaveedit
Openshot
Avidemux

Volti Mixer

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2015-03-30 19:48:36

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

Re: Multimedia pipemenu

Music:
gmusicbrowser

Volume control:
qasmixer

Is umplayer in Jessie?  I love it.

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#3 2015-03-30 20:30:16

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

My current selection is:
MOC for Music
Gxine for video.
I used Openshot to build my dad's memorial video. Also, xsane to scan in all the pictures.
Pitivi won't run at all in Jessie currently.

#4 2015-03-30 20:33:17

damo
#! gimpbanger

tknomanzr wrote:

I used Openshot to build my dad's memorial video. ...

Same for me sad

Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#5 2015-03-31 05:50:32

smacz
#! Junkie

@tknomanzr @damo my condolences.

@damo I don't really have any default preferences (I lied, see below), as long as they're solid and sane and in the jessie repos. What I am more interested in is how you're putting together the pipemenu. Are you doing it like you did the graphics one? I saw that on github and that was solid. Nicely put together.

I did a A/B of all the big-name music players (Audacious, Rhythmbox, Banshee, ${???}) And only audacious pulled in installed in under 15MB. And it's slick to boot.

EDIT: Found that phoronix covered multimedia improvements in jessie. The mailing list message is very helpful. I also saw that mpv is to be added. Confimed with `apt-cache search` on my wally install.

Last edited by smacz (2015-03-31 06:03:06)

#6 2015-03-31 06:23:29

damo
#! gimpbanger

I've put one together in a similar way to the graphics one, but I think it is a bit clumsy, and not easily configurable atm. Too many options! Instead of an easy list, I'm trying to divide it into categories ie players, editors, utilities - but that takes some more functions and several more conditionals.

Hard-coding separate entries, as per some of the cb-pipemenus, may be more user-friendly - even if the bash gurus around here would disapprove!

Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#7 2015-03-31 06:40:52

smacz
#! Junkie

Those are all different categories, would they not all warrant their own pipemenu?

Last edited by smacz (2015-03-31 06:41:17)

#8 2015-03-31 06:46:40

damo
#! gimpbanger

smacz wrote:

Those are all different categories, would they not all warrant their own pipemenu?

I hadn't thought of that approach....

Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#9 2015-04-01 03:44:55

damo
#! gimpbanger

[I posted this in the wrong place to start with  :8 ]

I'm assuming that vlc is in the default installation, but deadbeef, audacious and mplayer will be only a couple of clicks away wink

I've got the Editors options as mhwavedit, Audacity and Openshot; the Utilities are xfburn and volti as volume control.

Any thoughts for a desktop recorder/capture application?

Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#10 2015-04-01 05:59:37

smacz
#! Junkie

Wouldn't volti be default? Pvsage has been touting that for the past two weeks as his volume-applet(?) of choice. Seems to me a volume-applet'd be better off dealt with as a default with the burden on the user to install their choice thereof if they have that strong of a preference.

[brainstorm]
In support of freewill (and playing devils advocate) would brasero and devede belong in the utils as well?

Also, what about a webcam util? There's always Cheese. But branching out, ZoneMinder looks cool for the paranoid tongue Reviews for Kamoso, WebcamStudio, and Camorama (2011)

What about a visualization program for the music players? You know...for all the hippies. Does mplayer or vlc support that (not the lame ones that vlc comes with) via a plugin natively? Or the music players mentioned? How about ProjectM?

Has anyone tried audacious with the iPods/Phones? As much as I hate them, they're becoming somewhat ubiquitous. Also android devices? If we need another syncing util Amarok should work as well. Plus it has a freakin coyote as it's icon tongue

I know VLC can stream stations (i usually use it for di.fm) but what about having Pithos as an option for Pandora? Or Spotify for linux? Or for agnostic streaming utils, how about Radio Tray?

Lastly, IDK how good/absolutely horrible it is, but how about kdenlive as another video editing option?

EDIT: Were you going to bring in Gimp this way too?
[/brainstorm]

These are all suggestions for the pipemenus. I'm not even saying that their dependencies are in line with what we would want a user to have on their system. Just giving suggestions. Being on debian has it's advantages...there are packages galore to choose from.

EDIT: What would be better via a pipemenu, and what might perhaps be suited to bunsen-welcome (if anything)

Last edited by smacz (2015-04-01 06:14:07)

#11 2015-04-01 06:26:02

woodape
#! CrunchBanger

damo wrote:

Any thoughts for a desktop recorder/capture application?

I've been using gtk-recordmydesktop to record presentations and such. I really like it. Lightweight, no frills, just records the screen or a portion of the screen and the audio and saves it to a video file. Easy peasy.

#12 2015-04-01 06:33:24

damo
#! gimpbanger

@smacz
Pipemenus populate the main menu automatically, so if eg volti is installed there is  a menu entry to show volti-mixer. If it isn't installed it then you have an install option. Same for all the other apps - that's how the menus work, with dynamic entries.

GIMP is in the graphics pipemenu (in the applications array in the script actually), so if it is installed you can run GIMP, if not then you have the option to install it. (Install is done with the same script used by bl-welcome)

Last edited by damo (2015-04-01 06:33:52)

Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#13 2015-04-01 07:05:24

smacz
#! Junkie

I guess I didn't see why volti needed to be in a pipemenu in the first place. But upon further reflection, it could come in handy if one doesn't have the applet on tint2.

Should've seen GIMP in the graphic menu...my bad.

#14 2015-04-01 12:41:19

damo
#! gimpbanger

smacz wrote:

I guess I didn't see why volti needed to be in a pipemenu in the first place. But upon further reflection, it could come in handy if one doesn't have the applet on tint2....

I put it in because I had a volume control menu item in my waldorf menu. Also, with the handy keyboard selection features in Openbox, anything in the menu can be started quickly via keystrokes. (That poor cat is being skinned so many ways!)

Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#15 2015-04-01 15:43:00

hhh
Cityspeak

damo wrote:

mplayer

mplayer and mplayer2 have been superseded by mvp.

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

#16 2015-04-02 05:12:40

smacz
#! Junkie

Just installed mpv. It's chugging through some Future Garage mixes atm, and doing a fine job of it (oh how I love youtube-dl)

@damo I'm taking a look at what you have up at github right now.

Ooh! how about `unetbootin` in addition to xfburn? [/brainstorm straggler]

#17 2015-04-02 06:57:59

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

smacz wrote:

Ooh! how about `unetbootin` in addition to xfburn?

Why?

That program is only of use for ISOs that are not available as "hybrid" images -- it messes up the Debian installer ISO if you use it...

Anyway if syslinux is installed, you can use:

# isohybrid <name of ISO image>

To convert a CD/DVD image to one that can be written to a USB stick using `dd` or `cat`

#18 2015-04-02 07:12:41

smacz
#! Junkie

Using `cat` huh?...TIL

And of course `dd` is the preferred method, but for people who wouldn't utilize the command line whatsoever, unetbootin may be an imperfect but usable GUI for them. I suggest that particular one because I have mostly if not always had success with it and it's relatively simple to use. Are the any suggestions you would have from this wikipedia list? I honestly have only ever used unetbootin.

Also TIL that a .iso can be either a strictly CD/DVD image or a hybrid to facilitate booting from a USB.

EDIT:

HoaS wrote:

That program is only of use for ISOs that are not available as "hybrid" images -- it messes up the Debian installer ISO if you use it...

I've not experienced any impaired functionality of the debian installer using unetbootin for any distro I've ever tried. I have noticed that the GRUB menu is unetbootin's and not debian's, but a user who didn't know `dd` wouldn't care I wouldn't think...

Last edited by smacz (2015-04-02 07:18:29)

#19 2015-04-02 07:24:36

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

smacz wrote:

I've not experienced any impaired functionality of the debian installer using unetbootin for any distro I've ever tried. I have noticed that the GRUB menu is unetbootin's and not debian's, but a user who didn't know `dd` wouldn't care I wouldn't think...

I don't have time to find the links but we have had problems reported with unetbootin on the Debian forums.

This seems pretty simple to me, even for users who don't like the CLI:

# cat debian.iso > /dev/sdX

This is the method recommended in the Debian installation guide:

# cp debian.iso /dev/sdX
# sync

https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ … -isohybrid

Board footer