SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2015-04-16 09:08:11

cpoakes
#! CrunchBanger

Re: [DONE] Sort of poor man's debian alternatives...

^On second thought, I think the bl-media-player alternative is restrictive.  It should be two:  bl-audio-player and bl-video-player. When you pointed out that audacious didn't play video, I decided to familiarize myself.  For audio playback, I decided I like the interface better than vlc and now use audacious for audio and vlc for video.  What if I decide I to use a video-only player as my replacement for vlc?  With the combined alternative bl-media-player I must either 1) have a third and unpreferred combined audio and video player, or 2) assign one or the other to bl-media-player and break my system.

I don't advocate requiring separate players, just accommodating them.  Keep vlc as the default application and map it to both bl-audio-player and bl-video-player.  The names describe their function and work for any combination of audio/video/combined media players.

programming and administering unix since 1976 (BSD, System III, Xenix, System V, Linux)

Be excellent to each other!

#27 2015-04-16 10:11:50

johnraff
nullglob
Website

The main reason I wanted to set up these six abstractions was so that the menu entries, pipemenus and keybindings would work even after users had changed their app for those functions. One adjustment (for the "alternative") instead of several, after searching around the file system.

Neither an audio player nor a video-only player would substitute for VLC. Actually I don't think there's such a thing as a video player that doesn't also play sound - both VLC and mplayer declare themselves to be video players, but they do a good job with sound too. So the multimedia player is really a video player in that sense.

If people want to add a dedicated music player with a nicer interface and perhaps a library function they're of course welcome to, but I think this alternatives stuff has to stop somewhere. Since the default menu has no "music player" entry anyway, users can just add their chosen app (and keybindings) themselves.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#28 2015-04-16 11:14:13

cpoakes
#! CrunchBanger

After reviewing a large number of developer websites and feature sets, I now realize there are a lot of "video" players that are more correctly classified as media players (play audio too).  Of the popular Debian packaged players (appearing in "top 10" video player lists), I did not find a single video-only player.  In this case, it is reasonable to implement a single bl-media-player and expect it to play audio without breaking anything.  A separate audio/music player can remain a user configured option.

programming and administering unix since 1976 (BSD, System III, Xenix, System V, Linux)

#29 2015-04-27 00:43:12

johnraff
nullglob
Website

@cpoakes many thanks for your help.
The scripts you provided are now installed in bunsen-configs and working perfectly.  cool

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

Board footer