SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-04 19:21:54

hhh
Cityspeak

Default GTK/Openbox/Notification Theme

The default theme is the overall look, including the GTK, Openbox and Notification themes, fonts, conky, wallpaper, panel, etc... Since it's so many elements, all elements that people can get pretty passionate about, it's getting quite confusing to follow what's going on. Even though I'm making decisions on all elements for these mockups, if we could primarily keep discussion to the Subject headline that would help.

In the same vain, even though there is a dark theme up on GitHub and I've been working on an even darker one, I'd like to focus on a dark-text-on-light-background theme here.

First, some scrots...
Screenshot_03042015_01_05_22_PM.jpg Screenshot_03042015_01_19_12_PM.jpg
        fullscreen link                         fullscreen link

So, the blah blah part...

Two themes, the first with a splash of color and the second all gray-scale. Faenza-Dark-CrunchBang icons with Waldorf default tint2 and conky (except for fonts and the Clock format). The system/conky/OB Menu fonts are Open Sans Normal 10, OB Title font is Open Sans Bold 9 and the Clock is Open Sans Semibold 12. The volume applet is Volti, it allows Faenza to be set in it's preferences making it look way better than the alternatives. I don't use a clipboard thingy or switch Keyboard layouts, so I'm afraid I left those out. The compton config is not stock Waldorf either.

The Openbox theme has no handles/grippy/things on the bottom border and border width is set to one. This means resizing windows is best done with a keyboard shortcut. It's a tossup, you make it easier to use the mouse for resize, you end up with an uglier window. Looking for some feedback on this point.

edit- Additionally, the OB theme now has hover states for buttons and the inactive window title has slightly less gradient than the active window. /edit

The GTK2 themes have one major difference between the two colors, the style when tabbing through buttons is different. The blue one is easier to see but breaks from what GTK3 does. Actually, the gray one doesn't really match GTK3 as GTK3 has gone off the deep end theme wise (IMO). Again, I'd like feedback, but my thought is screw GTK3 and use the style that's more visible, we'll just make GTK3 look tolerable outside of GNOME. Last night I installed gnome-core on my tiny netbook and GNOME isn't making much effort to match within it's own environment. For example, switching to the Adwaita Dark theme has no effect on GTK2.

GTK3 sidebars and such now mostly use native icons.

The notification theme matches the Openbox menu now, and I think I've eliminated any trace of blue that Philip had in the Waldorf OB theme. I also deleted the Metacity theme that was originally in Bunsen1.

The wallpapers are 1920x1200, I set them with Nitrogen's "Zoomed Filled" setting. That placed the logo where you see it, I didn't mess with conky gap settings.

I think I've covered most everything, I'll edit this post if there's anything major I've left out. For example, I've just noticed that I didn't set the rest of tint2 to use Open Sans, so the desktop labels are still in Liberation Sans, waah. 8.( If I had noticed, I'd have used Open Sans Semibold 9.

I've uploaded Faenza-CrunchBang icons to my dropbox account for now so we don't keep hitting up Philip's repository.

GET THESE THEMES...

Bunsen1-Blue GTK/OpenBox/Notification Themes

Bunsen1 GTK/OpenBox/Notification Themes (gray)

Waldorf GTK/Openbox/Notification Themes (for comparison)

Faenza-CrunchBang and Faenza-Dark-CrunchBang Icon Sets

Wallpaper with Blue Flame

Wallpaper with Gray Flame

Enjoy and please post your feedback.

edit- It occurs to me that I didn't check permissions on these file before uploading them, you should probably set permissions wide open to skirt any weirdness.

Last edited by hhh (2015-03-05 22:45:20)

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2015-03-04 21:03:23

damo
#! gimpbanger

Re: Default GTK/Openbox/Notification Theme

Those themes look fantastic imo - I especially like the colour splash version. I'll work up some backgrounds using that colour value, and see how they work together.

Good effort smile

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#3 2015-03-04 21:35:05

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Awesome work hhh!  I was about to suggest trying hydrogen as the highlight color (search "hydrogen gas discharge tube"), but somebody might assume it's because of small horses.  They both look great, but the one with the blue (I'm assuming that's the same one in the Debian Lines artwork?) looks very professional.

#4 2015-03-04 22:05:14

hhh
Cityspeak

Thanks for the compliments, gents, theming is some eye-straining, complicated crap. I prefer the color version as well. I'm also working up a simple, dark LightDM theme that should be ready in a few hours.

A humble request to The Team, please read my posts thoroughly and respond to my feedback requests. It seems my questions fall on deaf ears or blind eyes as the case may be. In this case, button preferences, Openbox resizing/handle preferences, GTK2/3 matching were all mentioned in the OP.

damo wrote:

I'll work up some backgrounds using that colour value, and see how they work together.

Note that the theme selected_bg_color is less saturated than the flame color. Using the same value as the wall color made the theme look too blue to me. I chose the flame color using a color picker and a picture of a blue-flamed Bunsen burner.

pvsage wrote:

(I'm assuming that's the same one in the Debian Lines artwork?)

Not sure what you mean. It's not the same values as Deb8, no, and there are updates here that I haven't added to Deb8, though all of these started with Greybird.

Thanks again for the kind words.

#5 2015-03-04 22:48:09

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

Nice work, are those notification looking nice even when there is no compton (compositor) present?

#6 2015-03-04 23:09:34

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

RE the resize handles, I find them hard to use. I prefer alt-right-click and drag.

#7 2015-03-04 23:59:46

spacex
ew
Website

Still no 1920x1080(16:9) wallpapers?

Regards,
spacex/ew
http://tweaklinux.org

#8 2015-03-05 00:26:05

hhh
Cityspeak

brontosaurusrex wrote:

Nice work, are those notification looking nice even when there is no compton (compositor) present?

No to me, no. I like shadows, and it's why I'm using Compton with Xfwm4, because Xfwm's compositor in 4.10 no longer (?) draws shadows on notifications nor xfce4-panel. Without shadows, it all depends on the background how they look. Feel free to download, use and edit as you see fit.

tknomanzr wrote:

RE the resize handles, I find them hard to use. I prefer alt-right-click and drag.

You, my friend, have a mouse! For those of us using laptop touchpads w/ no mouse, an Openbox keyboard binding works best. Something like...

<keybind key="W-h">
      <action name="Resize"/>
    </keybind>

That changes the cursor, then use your arrow keys to choose a border and move it.

spacex wrote:

I hope English is not your first language, because to me that sounds like something a whiny bitch would say. I spent 8 hours alone today theming, what have you done for me lately except post derailing, off topic comments? Nevertheless, since you apparently can't open GIMP...
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. … 02#p421302

#9 2015-03-05 00:32:34

damo
#! gimpbanger

hhh wrote:

A humble request to The Team, please read my posts thoroughly and respond to my feedback requests. It seems my questions fall on deaf ears or blind eyes as the case may be. In this case, button preferences, Openbox resizing/handle preferences, GTK2/3 matching were all mentioned in the OP.

Give me a chance to install and use it! I can't give adequate feedback from a scrot, and there is some life away from the keyboard tongue
Re the selected_bg_color - I've built up a few palettes now, so I should find something that works well with it.

spacex wrote:

When we decide on a selection, there should be full sets of all the usual sizes. For testing it makes sense to put something out that can be cropped if you need to - as @hhh says, that is easy enough to do

Last edited by damo (2015-03-05 00:36:50)

Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#10 2015-03-05 00:49:30

hhh
Cityspeak

damo wrote:

Give me a chance to install and use it! I can't give adequate feedback from a scrot, and there is some life away from the keyboard tongue

Sorry, didn't realize your comment was just based on the scrot. Take your time!

#11 2015-03-05 01:12:43

johnraff
nullglob
Website

hhh you're doing fantastic work here. I plan to install these themes on my test system, try them out soon, and yeh come out with a bit of feedback.

Let's not forget that everyone round here is putting time into various things (some unrelated to BunsenLabs), so there is sometimes a difference in how people view timescales. I too find it a bit irritating whan someone seems to be saying "Why haven't you fixed this bug in this script yet?" Work is done when it's done.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#12 2015-03-05 01:23:26

damo
#! gimpbanger

Feedback..

Both themes are lookin' good - smooooth and well-integrated;
Highlight colour/shading works well;
Notifications look fine, buttons are working well (thanks for the fix for tabbing between them btw. I can see them now! smile );
I can live with slight differences with the gtk3 - it's actually one of the nicer gtk3 themes I've seen;
Faenza-Crunchbang icons are one of my stock go-to sets anyway - looks particularly good with this theme imo;

Personally I'm happy without the OB resize-grips - it's easy enough to change window.handle.width anyway. It could be a possible issue with new users though?

Distinctive enough from Crunchbang to be BunsenLabs, but close enough for bangers to be happy with I think.

Take a bow! big_smile

Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#13 2015-03-05 01:50:00

spacex
ew
Website

damo wrote:

When we decide on a selection, there should be full sets of all the usual sizes. For testing it makes sense to put something out that can be cropped if you need to - as @hhh says, that is easy enough to do

Hehe, yes, I'm aware of the option to do it myself, but that's a ugly hack or workaround, and I don't like workarounds. I can't evaluate Bunsen if I do stuff myself smile So I'm going to take the role as a complete linux-noob, and expect to get everything served at a silver-platter. I'm going to judge this project as if I was my mom trying linux for the first time tongue

I'm just kidding of course big_smile

But to be serious, I get a bit confused as to where you are in the process, what wallpapers and backgrounds you actually are thinking of using as defaults. I see something from one of you, and something else from yet another, so I have to admit, I'm a bit confused. The only thing I do know, is that I like the 2 Bunsen-themes, but now I just saw that there were several other themes up for grabs. My personal opinion is that you should start boiling it down to a few choices, and save the big selections for later. The community needs something to do after the release also.

Regards,
spacex/ew

#14 2015-03-05 02:22:45

hhh
Cityspeak

spacex wrote:

But to be serious, I get a bit confused as to where you are in the process, what wallpapers and backgrounds you actually are thinking of using as defaults.

Nothing's been decided, I'm posting what looks good to me. I can't help it if my own work is vastly superior.

Aaaaaaaand that comment sent my own sarcasm-meter off the scale! tongue

@johnraff, thanks! @damo, cool!

#15 2015-03-05 02:26:51

spacex
ew
Website

hhh wrote:
spacex wrote:

I hope English is not your first language, because to me that sounds like something a whiny bitch would say. I spent 8 hours alone today theming, what have you done for me lately except post derailing, off topic comments? Nevertheless, since you apparently can't open GIMP...
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. … 02#p421302

Correct, it isn't my first language. And sure, I can fix them myself. It's not the first time I have to resize a wallpaper. But someone posted a prerelase-build of the themes and wallpapers, installable by gdebi and dpkg, and it is in that context I made my comment. When I download and install a wallpaper-set by gdebi, I expect there to be at least 1 wallpaper in 16:9 format. Now I see that this was a private build, and not a official one. But I have to admit that I'm confused as to who is actually involved in the project, and who is just doing their own stuff. It's very fragmented and all over the place..

I DO KNOW how much work it is to customize themes, and I've already said that I think you've done an awesome job with the two Bunsen-themes. And nope, I haven't done anything for you lately, but then again, I have never pretended to be directly involved in this community-project.

Regards,
spacex/ew

#16 2015-03-05 03:00:23

hhh
Cityspeak

@spacex, no worries, mate, and thanks for the compliment!

#17 2015-03-05 03:20:42

johnraff
nullglob
Website

OK feedback - all my own personal preferences of course.

hhh wrote:

Two themes, the first with a splash of color and the second all gray-scale.

I like the grey one. For some reason the blue bits annoy me. Don't know why.

The volume applet is Volti, it allows Faenza to be set in it's preferences making it look way better than the alternatives.

On this setup volumeicon-alsa also looks OK with "default" icons. Volti might look marginally better with "Faenza"... Guess we also need some technical comparisons on those two.

The Openbox theme has no handles/grippy/things on the bottom border and border width is set to one. This means resizing windows is best done with a keyboard shortcut. It's a tossup, you make it easier to use the mouse for resize, you end up with an uglier window. Looking for some feedback on this point.

There's still a nice grippy bit in the bottom right corner so resizing with the mouse is easy enough. No need for thicker borders imho.

edit- Additionally, the OB theme now has hover states for buttons and the inactive window title has slightly less gradient than the active window. /edit

OB buttons? Sorry, where? I thought all the buttons were GTK. Re the gradient on the title bar, my own preference is for a bit of brightness at the top. ie as if the light was coming from above (and a bit to the left perhaps?). This is consistent with compositor shadows being thrown to the bottom right.

Anyway, nit-picking. Nice work! (Although Deb8 is nice too - is this an extension of that?)

John
--------------------

#18 2015-03-05 03:58:00

hhh
Cityspeak

@johnraff, title buttons in Openbox (iconify, maximize, close).

As stated, elsewhere, all these themes originated with Greybird. Deb8 uses a color scheme meant to compliment the Debian Lines artwork. I emailed Juliette B.T. (the Lines creator) and he responded that he liked it, he's busy with school but then hopes to install it and give it a spin.

These 2 themes use a color scheme adapted from Waldorf, which is why I linked to that theme for comparison.

#19 2015-03-05 04:28:08

johnraff
nullglob
Website

hhh wrote:

@johnraff, title buttons in Openbox (iconify, maximize, close).

Ah I can see it now, but they're so small it's hard to notice to be honest. Still, it's these tiny details that make a finished product.

John
--------------------

#20 2015-03-05 04:29:55

hhh
Cityspeak

johnraff wrote:

On this setup volumeicon-alsa also looks OK with "default" icons. Volti might look marginally better with "Faenza"... Guess we also need some technical comparisons on those two.

Not marginally here, dramatically. volumeicon-alsa "Default" is invisible on the setup in that screenshot, all the other icons are GAA!!!, plus volumeicon requires an external mixer like Xfce4-mixer (which requires xfce4-panel. BTW, in your Xfce names query you forgot xfwm4, xfwm4-settings and xfwm4-tweaks-settings! lol ) This discussion needs it's own thread, if there isn't one already.

Re the gradient on the title bar, my own preference is for a bit of brightness at the top. ie as if the light was coming from above (and a bit to the left perhaps?). This is consistent with compositor shadows being thrown to the bottom right.

Interesting, and nice paying attention! I've changed Bunsen1 to diagonal light-to-less-light as a test (Diagonal top-left to bottom-right, you can't set how much diagonal). It's very subtle on its own but pretty dramatic when you switch betweeen Bunsen1-Blue in obConf.

#21 2015-03-05 04:33:48

hhh
Cityspeak

re: hard to see, very visible at 1024x600! Sorry I have no other monitor to test on. I don't think Openbox allows resizing of those images, even if you add xbm files, does it?

#22 2015-03-05 04:57:27

johnraff
nullglob
Website

hhh wrote:
johnraff wrote:

Not marginally here, dramatically. volumeicon-alsa "Default" is invisible on the setup in that screenshot, all the other icons are GAA!!!, plus volumeicon requires an external mixer like Xfce4-mixer (which requires xfce4-panel.

I am getting some weirdness with icon invisibility on volumeicon it's true. Also, just now, two volume bars popped up. yikes  No need to install Xfce4-mixer btw. If you're using pulseaudio (which I expect will be BL default) then you can use pavucontrol. I set that for the external mixer on volti too.

BTW, in your Xfce names query you forgot xfwm4, xfwm4-settings and xfwm4-tweaks-settings!

Indeed, though it wasn't really a query so much as a rant. We'd like to get some consistency in our own naming if possible I thought.

John
--------------------

#23 2015-03-05 05:53:21

smacz
#! Junkie

@hhh Very nice work! As has been stated before the devil's in the details. I especially like the button highlights in gtk+ screens as I tend to tab through the options being mainly a command line man myself. Makes this theme very appealing.

Also, you mentioned that the deb8 colorscheme was based off of the "Lines" palette but that you were just winging it on this one. It certainly looks well put together. Bravo.

#24 2015-03-05 06:46:33

pvsage
Internal Affairs

I'll get caught up on this thread after posting this; just got back from work.

hhh wrote:
pvsage wrote:

(I'm assuming that's the same one in the Debian Lines artwork?)

Not sure what you mean. It's not the same values as Deb8, no, and there are updates here that I haven't added to Deb8, though all of these started with Greybird.

Thanks again for the kind words.

I meant the default wallpaper in Jessie that comes with desktop-base - the lighter blue with the cross through the Debian swirl and arcs that seem to have nothing to do with the Fibonacci sequence.  It looks close to the same shade, at any rate, and is a nice nod to BunsenLab's Debian base. wink

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#25 2015-03-05 06:57:46

pvsage
Internal Affairs

johnraff wrote:

The volume applet is Volti, it allows Faenza to be set in it's preferences making it look way better than the alternatives.

For one thing, Volti comes with its own native (gtk? gtk+? not sure which, but it's lovely) mixer, whereas volumeicon-alsa requires either an external mixer like xfce4-mixer or it uses alsamixergui (fugly) or alsamixer in a terminal (fugly in NCURSES).  Other than that, they're fairly comparable, and both have options to trap the XF86Audio* keys for control volume.

Board footer