SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#51 2015-02-22 14:29:45

twoion

Re: A community continuation: BunsenLabs

computermouth wrote:
Unia wrote:

^ Pvsage and others have stated that we will not support anything that requires its own repository. We'll have to see how to go about this, in due time. I'm thinking a script that locally builds and installs .debs, or something.

From what I've learned over the past few weeks, I don't think there'd be any reason you couldn't do this. Updates might be a pickle. Smxi manages to do it. I've never done anything with cron jobs, but between that and what it looks like some of you are capable of with python, you might have a pretty ok time just poking out to a server to see if your github repos have changed, download the master zip and build from there?

Well, offering pre-built packages should be no problem since we can upload them (even on Github). Nevertheless, maybe we could abuse Github's 'pages' functionality for hosting APT repos. I think that would be worth investigating.

Tannhäuser ~ {www,pkg,ddl}.bunsenlabs.org/{gitlog,repoidx}

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#52 2015-02-23 05:11:50

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Download sizes are likely to be pretty small, whatever method is adopted, because it will be nearly all text files: scripts and configs. The main exception is icon sets and wallpaper I guess.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#53 2015-02-25 15:03:59

Milozzy
#! Die Hard
Website

Heard just now about your efforts guys... Can't wait to try Bunsen out!!

Great work, keep it going!!!

Last edited by Milozzy (2015-02-25 15:21:10)

#54 2015-02-25 20:48:42

pjbrunet
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Unia wrote:

Rest assured we are working on restructuring the forums to better suit our new community needs. A new layout is in discussion and we just need Philip to implement it for us. When this has been done, we will do our moderator job to clean up the mess and move topics to where they belong

As far as appearance, the forum here looks good IMO.

Sorry I don't really have time to help but you can put me on the email list for announcements:
pj at pjbrunet dot com
moderator edit: email address ambiguated to protect poster's inbox from spam

I'm thinking, I'll probably keep using Waldorf as long as possible :-/

Basically I like Openbox + a window tiler (I use pytyle) and all the slim, minimal dark-grey themes are awesome. If you guys continue that tradition, I'm behind it.

Last edited by pvsage (2015-02-26 04:22:46)

#55 2015-02-26 11:39:44

kbmonkey
#! Die Hard
Website

This is great!  Subscribing this thread and starring watching the repos. I am busy setting up a netinstall in a VM to familiarize myself with the core steps of getting a base system running.

Last edited by kbmonkey (2015-02-26 11:40:56)

#56 2015-02-26 12:43:03

Anurag

Please keep it as close as possible to crunchbang. I am using crunchbang as my daily driver. Please don't stop maintaining this project

big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

#57 2015-02-26 18:08:02

hhh
Cityspeak

@BunsenLabs Team Members, please give your approval or disapproval to the following...

Anurag wrote:

Please keep it as close as possible to crunchbang.

This is what I'm pushing for, visually at least. A dark grey wallpaper based off of "Velvet Noise", my Bunsen1 GTK2/GTK3/notification theme that has a very similar color palette/scrollbar setup to the default Waldorf theme, the default Waldorf icon sets/Openbox theme, same conky and tint2 appearance and keyboard shortcuts, Liberation Sans for the system font and Andale Mono for the terminal font.

Then we'll have forum threads where users will add their wallpapers, themes, icon sets, preferred applications, suggested fonts, conky setups, scripts, configurations, etc...

johnraff and company are figuring out which #! scripts will remain and which will have to go the way of the dodo.

Some default applications will have to be changed. SLiM (the display/login manager) has been abandoned, LightDM will almost surely be used instead, for example.

I believe the plan for a so-called "release" is a two part one...

1) Install a minimal Debian jessie system (Debian provided non-free firmware netinstall.iso, then uncheck all desktops at the prompt), then download DEB packages containing #! BunsenLabs elements from our GitHub repository.

2) (eventually) Download a Live ISO and try it out, install it if you like it!

I think that's everything, probably not though. tongue

-edit- Pic or it didn't happen. These scrots are already a bit outdated, as the wallpaper will have a different logo most likely, but you can get the idea...
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. … 01#p418601

-edit- The default folder names will be the same as in Debian. Documents, Downloads, Pictures, etc...

Last edited by hhh (2015-02-26 19:02:08)

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

#58 2015-02-26 18:50:51

intoCB
Scatweasel

^Yes. Something different to CrunchBang could have been offered before "the end". The requirement here is to provide a similar experience to CrunchBang. So in the short term at least, a traditionalist approach would appear to make the most sense. There will be time for new fangled innovations later.

Having said that, Openbox is no longer in active development so we probably won't be doing this in ten years' time. Why not simply mug a pensioner now and treat yourself to a Macbook Pro? Let's face it, if CrunchBang is Philip's desktop then OS X is its most likely spiritual successor.

#59 2015-02-26 20:55:01

Naik
#! Die Hard

intoCB wrote:

Why not simply mug a pensioner now and treat yourself to a Macbook Pro? Let's face it, if CrunchBang is Philip's desktop then OS X is its most likely spiritual successor.

Are you serious? I can for - all nixers sake - find no possible universe where i would be able to
a) mug a pensioner
b) spend my hard earned money for ANY Apple product besides ...well a fresh red apple
c) replace CB by OSX

But for the post beforehand: I would recommend keeping BunsenLabs as close to CrunchBang as possible too. If the people around would have a desire to use something entirely different, the would have done so...

naik -greetz

*kaum macht man es richtig, funktioniert es sofort*

#60 2015-02-27 00:28:29

TicTac
#! Junkie

hhh wrote:

This is what I'm pushing for, visually at least. A dark grey wallpaper based off of "Velvet Noise", my Bunsen1 GTK2/GTK3/notification theme that has a very similar color palette/scrollbar setup to the default Waldorf theme, the default Waldorf icon sets/Openbox theme, same conky and tint2 appearance and keyboard shortcuts, Liberation Sans for the system font and Andale Mono for the terminal font.

Although I agree with using most of the above, it could still be somewhat monochromatic but perhaps in a color not normally associated with the usual Crunchbang grey scale color theme. A monochromatic theme based on a burnt orange may be more in tune with the new name and logo being currently worked upon. Same general "feel" as Waldorf and Crunchbang releases of the past, yet something a little different to set it apart.

"Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."   

The Dude.

#61 2015-02-27 00:44:49

damo
#! gimpbanger

@TicTac

That's worth thinking about, although personally I would steer away from orange  wink

The new Debian8 themes are mainly blue or teal BTW

If you have some examples of what you mean then post them in BunsenLabs - Default Wallpapers

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#62 2015-02-27 00:45:28

johnraff
nullglob
Website

hhh wrote:
Anurag wrote:

Please keep it as close as possible to crunchbang.

Sounds good here, on the whole.

Which icon set? Personally I prefer faenza-crunchbang but the default crunchbang-icon set is OK. Either of them is quite a big download, especially faenza, and neither of them is on the Debian repos. They'd have to be hosted somewhere - we can't leech off Philip's server for ever...

Did wonder about conky - is it necessary for BL to look exactly like #!? With all the incredible work that's been done by Sector11 and friends, there might be something cool and appropriate, that would indicate that things are moving.

johnraff and company are figuring out which #! scripts will remain and which will have to go the way of the dodo.

Actually, they could pretty much all stay, with a bit of minor tweaking. (I am thinking bunsen-welcome might be redone a bit though, to make it even more modular, and possibly a checklist instead of step-by-step.) It's more a question of if there are any scripts (or menu entries) that people have little use for, and just get in the way.

The idea of BL being "as close as possible to crunchbang" - this gets a lot of support, and makes a lot of sense, but I'd go with pvsage's take on that, to wit, to keep as close as possible to the spirit of CrunchBang, while keeping up with the times. Philip made many improvements between the different #! releases, and personally I feel our target should be not to clone Waldorf on Jessie, but to make something like what Philip might have done with Janice. Using our imaginations there a bit of course.

So lightweight default apps on the whole, a clean desktop, the simple openbox menu, some handy utilities, elegant but simple graphic design (that area is clearly in good hands already)... yes, pretty much CrunchBang. So current users won't feel let down, will feel happy to go on using BL after Waldorf, and there'll also be a few improvements here and there, a few itches scratched, a few annoyances cleared up... so the impression would be that BunsenLabs Hydrogen is even better than CrunchBang Waldorf.

That's my take on it, fwiw. smile

John
--------------------

#63 2015-02-27 00:45:51

bjmuirhead
#! Member
Website

intoCB wrote:

Having said that, Openbox is no longer in active development so we probably won't be doing this in ten years' time. Why not simply mug a pensioner now and treat yourself to a Macbook Pro? Let's face it, if CrunchBang is Philip's desktop then OS X is its most likely spiritual successor.

What about Fluxbox? It is still in active development--- latest release 1.3.7 February 2015.

I haven't used Fluxbox for a while, until very recently, and am now running the Jessie version (with lxde toolbar, strangely enough) and I am finding it every bit as good as openbox, and a little easier to configure (for me, at least), though there are still a few things I haven't worked out. It also groups windows, of course, which was why I used it in the first place.

Also, cb-wmhacks, cb-conky, compositing, and so forth, work quite effectively in it.

Also... pensioners rarely have enough money to make a mugging worth while. I know I don't!

Last edited by bjmuirhead (2015-02-27 01:00:20)

#64 2015-02-27 00:54:56

damo
#! gimpbanger

When I made a Crunchbang lite remaster, I made several pipemenus for post-install options, and took them out of cb-welcome. For instance, no GIMP in the install, but a "graphics" pipemenu for installing GIMP, Blender, Inkscape etc. I also put LibreOffice in an "office" pipemenu. The same for browsers.

I like the idea of a post-install script checklist, instead of a series of screens

Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#65 2015-02-27 00:57:52

hhh
Cityspeak

damo wrote:

That's worth thinking about, although personally I would steer away from orange  wink

There's already an orange-themed distro? Whatever do you mean?  tongue

I think we should stay with grey. The visual nod is going to be the biggest way people will feel they're using the natural successor to #!. Same with Openbox as the default WM. Anyone can install anything in Debian, so catering to people's preferences is futile.

@john, faenza-crunchbang, hosted on GitHub. Fine if you want conky to be more sophisticated than it is, but it's not broke so I'm against "fixing" it. There will still be new users who'll need the keyboard shortcuts, and the basic Sytem Info is practical. Again, people can/will customize as they see fit.

/2 cents

#66 2015-02-27 01:05:17

thumbtak

I am very disapointed with this dicision. I am a huge fan of CrunchBang and use it on all of my computers. To see it go is a big disapointment. I even got others into using it. I know a ton that will be very disapointed. I will continue to use Crunchbang even if updates do not work. Again, very disapointed.

#67 2015-02-27 01:05:53

hhh
Cityspeak

One more note on theming...

As those who have followed the Monthly Screenshot threads have seen, I've been basically pushing out the same desktop with new color schemes to match whatever wallpaper I'm using whenever the mood suits me, it takes me less than half an hour. With the themes I've hacked together and an icon set like AnyColorYouLike or gnome-colors, it's really trivial. Rest assured, I can provide a whole rainbow of matching walls/themes/icons. We can make Bunsen the giant Crayola box with the built-in sharpener to shiki-color's puny 7 varieties.

Last edited by hhh (2015-02-27 01:06:20)

#68 2015-02-27 01:06:48

johnraff
nullglob
Website

damo wrote:

When I made a Crunchbang lite remaster, I made several pipemenus for post-install options, and took them out of cb-welcome. For instance, no GIMP in the install, but a "graphics" pipemenu for installing GIMP, Blender, Inkscape etc. I also put LibreOffice in an "office" pipemenu.

Yes there is some overlap between menu pipemenus and the welcome script. (There are already "office" and "WWW Browsers" pipemenus in #! btw.) A graphics pipemenu sounds good too. (Anyway, Gimp seems to be a major candidate for taking off the default apps list.)

This sounds like a case for making a generic "apps" pipemenu that can be adjusted for any group of similar apps with a few quick edits, and plugged into the menu where needed. cool

John
--------------------

#69 2015-02-27 01:15:44

johnraff
nullglob
Website

hhh wrote:

I think we should stay with grey. The visual nod is going to be the biggest way people will feel they're using the natural successor to #!. Same with Openbox as the default WM.

+1 here. Likewise tint2, at least for now.

Fine if you want conky to be more sophisticated than it is, but it's not broke so I'm against "fixing" it. There will still be new users who'll need the keyboard shortcuts, and the basic System Info is practical.

True enough. I check the keyboard shortcuts now and then, it is handy. Openbox+Tint2+Conky=CrunchBang in a way. smile

John
--------------------

#70 2015-02-27 01:19:13

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

Agreed and if we set up a way to do user-contributed themes, walls, etc, we will soon end up with a bundle of different things to help new users start breaking the ice and learning how to configure their system.

#71 2015-02-27 01:35:06

hhh
Cityspeak

johnraff wrote:

Openbox+Tint2+Conky=CrunchBang in a way. smile

As this kids say, ^this.

#72 2015-02-27 01:40:46

TicTac
#! Junkie

@damo
lol cool

If I could write that paragraph again,  I would probably have chosen any color but orange... point taken folks. I'm also fully aware of how quickly and how easily the theme can be changed to suit taste. Still, with all the work you guys are obviously putting into this project, it would be pleasing to see that work reflect those of you actively contributing to it and not just a carbon copy or continuation of the development of #!.

Just my two cents, for what it's worth.  smile

"Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."   

The Dude.

#73 2015-02-27 01:43:02

damo
#! gimpbanger

hhh wrote:
damo wrote:

There's already an orange-themed distro? Whatever do you mean?  tongue

I think we should stay with grey. The visual nod is going to be the biggest way people will feel they're using the natural successor to #!. Same with Openbox as the default WM. Anyone can install anything in Debian, so catering to people's preferences is futile.

@john, faenza-crunchbang, hosted on GitHub. Fine if you want conky to be more sophisticated than it is, but it's not broke so I'm against "fixing" it. There will still be new users who'll need the keyboard shortcuts, and the basic Sytem Info is practical. Again, people can/will customize as they see fit.

/2 cents

FWIW I agree smile  But no harm in getting alternative ideas.

Anyone remember Crunchbox? A python script for a gui theme management utility

Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#74 2015-02-27 02:26:46

hhh
Cityspeak

TicTac wrote:

Still, with all the work you guys are obviously putting into this project, it would be pleasing to see that work reflect those of you actively contributing to it and not just a carbon copy or continuation of the development of #!.

That's very kind.

Personally, I feel just the opposite... if we "fooled" people into thinking that they were using corenominal's next customized Debian release, then I'd feel we'd done a good job.

Be excellent to each other!

#75 2015-02-27 05:49:01

HisVirusness
#! Member

Another concept logo:

GxnhQfct.png

I have tasted the flesh of fallen angels...

Board footer