SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2015-02-17 01:15:06

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

Re: BunsenLabs Linux- a draft

It would still be useful for updates until Jessie goes stable, imo. I ran into a systemd bug on my very first jessie install back before I upgraded it to sid. Figured the smart thing to do was hold it til they got it sorted and it came downstream. Didn't really want my init system to blow up.

Be excellent to each other!

#27 2015-02-17 08:18:20

damo
#! gimpbanger

For a Stable installation I guess apt-listbugs isn't necessary, but I think it is worth including because it makes the dist-upgrade route safer for people who aren't so familiar with it. It may reduce the "I've broken my system because I upgraded ..." posts.

Last edited by damo (2015-02-17 08:19:18)

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#28 2015-02-17 15:04:30

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

Just like I have been thinking our post-install script should automagically do an apt-get update, apt-get upgrade. Get people mindful about security from the start. However, it's looking like if I use Debian's netinstall when building a Live Iso, then Live Build should handle the package updates for me. Let me see if I can explain this a bit better:
When I create a Live Iso, the packages in the iso will be "frozen" to the point in time that I created it. However,  LiveBoot will check security if you set it up that way during the config phase.

When you choose to Install from the Live ISO, then you will end up with a customized debian netinst and it should ensure you have the latest versions of packages.

This is a bit of guessing on my part. I have done one sample Live Build and did notice it was checking security packages, etc.

Hopefully tonight I will be able to get a customised build going. I spent most of last night configuring it. Barring any huge issues, I should be able to show some results soon.

#29 2015-02-17 15:28:15

cao

damo wrote:

For a Stable installation I guess apt-listbugs isn't necessary, but I think it is worth including because it makes the dist-upgrade route safer for people who aren't so familiar with it. It may reduce the "I've broken my system because I upgraded ..." posts.

I think apt-listbugs may break some of the cb-* scripts and pipemenus when apt-listbugs prompts with an unexpected y|N confirmation. These scripts use the apt-get -y option, and fail silently when apt-get fails.

If apt-listbugs is to be a permanent part of the install then we may want to revisit cb-* and friends to make them more resilient to additional y|N prompts.

Best.

Last edited by cao (2015-02-17 15:29:19)

#30 2015-02-17 20:05:30

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ I've always thought the use of the apt -y switch in cb-welcome was a mistake, especially since the Debian repo redirect service occasionally fails to find a good mirror; this can result in packages being removed due to missing dependencies, thus "upgrade borked my system".

I also think the full page scroll between steps in the welcome script is a bad idea, since you won't see any terminal feedback unless you know to scroll back.  We should limit white space between steps in such a script to 3-5 blank lines; enough to show you're at a new step in the process, but not so much that you don't see results of the previous step.

#31 2015-02-18 00:22:03

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^noted. We need to keep track of all these desirable improvements to the code base.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

Board footer