SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#151 2015-02-25 03:41:43

AnInkedSoul
#! CrunchBanger

Re: Looks Like Someone's Beat the Community in Pushing Out a #! Successor

tknomanzr wrote:

His licensing,, the WTFPL, specifically states, do what you want too with my code, just change the name

there is no requirement to change the name in the WTFPL

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#152 2015-02-25 04:36:34

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

Yes, I see that now. I think possibly cb-exit, he had put below it, just change the name. Still  kind of cryptic though. Change the name of what? The program? Or take the name out of the credits? I'm not 100 % sure but I ended up changing both, when I modified the script for my own purposes. Not giving credit for someone ele's work kind of goes against my grain though. I think his name should have stayed in the source.

#153 2015-02-25 04:43:56

pvsage
Internal Affairs

AnInkedSoul wrote:
tknomanzr wrote:

His licensing,, the WTFPL, specifically states, do what you want too with my code, just change the name

there is no requirement to change the name in the WTFPL

There is in Version 2; based on the biolerplate in corenominal's scripts, it looks like he meant for everything CrunchBang to fall under WTFPL2.

#154 2015-02-25 04:51:48

johnraff
nullglob
Website

"Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim or modified
copies of this license document, and changing it is allowed as long
as the name is changed."

Surely the requirement to change the name refers to the license not to the software thereunder? WTF means do whatever you like.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#155 2015-02-25 05:00:08

AnInkedSoul
#! CrunchBanger

pvsage wrote:

There is in Version 2; based on the biolerplate in corenominal's scripts, it looks like he meant for everything CrunchBang to fall under WTFPL2.

The only name change requirement is in reference to the license name itself, not the software. If you modify the license itself then obviously you cannot call the new license the WTFPL too, so you would change the name. It doesn't have any requirement to change the name of the software/code.

Last edited by AnInkedSoul (2015-02-25 05:00:43)

#156 2015-02-25 05:04:22

Inodoro Pereyra
#! Die Hard

Hmmm, it seems it's talking about the license's name.

I don't really know anything about this licensing stuff. Is there a document Corenominal would've filled, where he stated what he wanted?

Either way, at least the way I see it, if Corenominal does have a problem with the CrunchBang name being used for a Waldorf successor, we should make sure (as much as we can) that his wish is respected, but if he doesn't have a problem, I think WE should have the priority for the use of the name. After all, THIS is the CrunchBang community.

#157 2015-02-25 06:11:49

AnInkedSoul
#! CrunchBanger

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:

...we should make sure (as much as we can) that his wish is respected....

true but it seems odd that he wouldn't allow it to be continued

#158 2015-02-25 06:56:32

Inodoro Pereyra
#! Die Hard

AnInkedSoul wrote:

true but it seems odd that he wouldn't allow it to be continued

Sure, but it's his right.
Maybe he doesn't want his name to be associated to a distro he has nothing to do with. I don't know.
What I do know is he's a grown man, and he stated one single condition in exchange for allowing the community to stay here and continue his work, and, as far as I'm concerned, that condition is to be abided by without question.
But then, he went and contradicted himself (or what we THOUGHT he said).
So, right now, I think we should hope he comes and clarifies the issue a bit.
But, if he really doesn't have a problem with the use of the CrunchBang name and logo, I think this community should be allowed to use it, over anybody else.
And if he does have a problem, I think, for starters, those who insist on using the name and/or logo should be kept off this community.

#159 2015-02-25 18:52:14

AnInkedSoul
#! CrunchBanger

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:

So, right now, I think we should hope he comes and clarifies the issue a bit.

I think he should make an actual statement about it.

#160 2015-02-25 20:25:41

hhh
Cityspeak

corenominal wrote:

I'm not sure that I need to clarify, but here goes ...

Ben has set-up a website promoting #!++. That is cool and good luck to him. The community here has decided to start BunsenLabs. That is cool and good luck to them. As far as I know, everybody is free to contribute and use either of the projects, which is also cool. Happy days.

Come on Yolanda what's Fonzie like?

Correctamundo.

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

#161 2015-02-25 21:51:24

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

AnInkedSoul & Inodoro Pereyra

Please cool it guys ... this is NOT a competition.  We are not Crunchbang++.  Ben can do what he wants and he has a place to do it.

BunsenLabs is here in this forum. and here  http://bunsenlabs.org in this forum.

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#162 2015-02-25 23:02:13

AnInkedSoul
#! CrunchBanger

cool what?

I cant say that I think it odd that he doesnt want it continued...???

WOW....considering the amount of 'saying what what someone thinks' that goes on in this forum.....really wow...

Last edited by AnInkedSoul (2015-02-25 23:04:01)

#163 2015-02-26 01:22:53

johnraff
nullglob
Website

It's OK.

We don't have any need to run down #!++ ; they're doing their thing and we're doing ours.

Now, Philip has said he doesn't want #! continued. It was his personal project. I think he has the right to ask that any forks use some other name, but there was some misunderstanding earlier about just how CrunchBang-reminiscent a new name could be. We (mods) took it to mean "no names with any allusion to CrunchBang or #!", but, easy-going fellow that he is, Philip has since stated that he's OK with the name #!++.

Fair enough. It's no big deal really. BunsenLabs is a new project, based on CrunchBang for sure, and aiming to carry forward the spirit of CrunchBang, but with the emphasis on going forward.  cool

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#164 2015-02-26 01:34:02

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

And he did come along and state that he found the name intriguing. Regardless, he is likely watching our progress and cheering us on.

#165 2015-02-26 09:29:28

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Yep ... you guessed it. Well if you guessed I'd post some more mostly pointless babble then you guessed it. tongue

If Corenominal's good w this devel, then enough said. Though would theorize he's also laughing inside about it. Stuff like buckle your seatbelt you're in for a ride you clearly have zero idea about. Feel safe in saying for every distro listed on distrowatch there's probably at least 10-20 that never made it far enough for anyone to hear about.

Not including a gazillion that never left a good nixers harddrive. ie: Anaconda mentions he'd been putting together a distro longgggg ago and was likely a nice nixy OS, that never saw the light of dy. At least not much beyond the drawing board. Am sure he's not the only nixer who's put something together and for whatever reason(s) never made it to the starting line.

Person behind #!++ in biz's view is showing all kinds of bad signs/indicators too. Stuff like he/they were able to trackdown what license the packages Corenominal created are under BUT weren't able/aware ( according to him or them) to hear about Core expressing wishes that the name Crunchbang and trademark not be used ?

Also the fact that he/they can't seem to iron out minor technical issues or manage a beta release that's even worthy of full beta status ?!!? That doesn't bode well for someone aspiring to be a new distro maintainer, clearly doesn't so much bode well for that distro's userbase either, shrugs.

However in my view all of this is pretty much /dev/null n void anyway due to the following. Due to clear and glaring incompetence, #!++ will for sure crash and burn + implode soon enough of its own accord. No need for Core to aggravate himself or Crunch-fans to think much on it.

Also ... I've started to hear rumors that all but the most ancient of gnu/nix distributions are about to be shutdown anyway. At the rate Machinebacon +grillers are putting out releases, there's no longer any need for the others. Distrowatch will have to start deleting them to make room for the Lbbq spins. big_smile

Oh yeah ... nother thought about #!++, the guy chose the username computermouth ? Who does that ... and for real folks are gonna be like yeah, meet our leader ... computermouth ? lol

For real ... one thing about growing to really like a one wo/man show distro. All eggs = one basket. Not that that's an absolute deal breaker. Just a pointless observation to go w all the rest of the nonsense I've typed in this post.

Vll!

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2015-02-26 09:34:32)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#166 2015-02-26 12:11:12

spacex
ew
Website

Just to correct you. Machinebacon is throwing out new spins all the time, but they will never replace any gnu/nix distribution. BBQ`s focus is on Unstable, and their approach is to minimal to be a viable alternative for the average linux-user.

Regards,
spacex/ew
http://tweaklinux.org

#167 2015-02-26 22:15:25

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

I stand corrected ... it was a joke Ew. smile

Vll!

Afterthought babble ...

Though after a moment of reflection is kinda shame Mb's focusing mostly on the unstable niche. Machine excels at demonstrating gnu/nix's versatility, have no reason to believe any branch, base, niche or specialized usecase(s) would be any diff for him. He's a-the friggin gnu/linux Machine afterall.

Also not sure if minimal is an entirely accurate overview of the Grill. Haven't spent much time looking over the releases either. Remember the guy came out with a release that had practically every Wm since history began and still kept it under 700mbs. big_smile

Would agree many of the Lbbq releases aren't so much for everyday avg noobish type users. Definitely would be a good way to go for people who want to track Sid or more adventurous #!'ers, despondent that Crunch is closing it's doors, can't see how it'd hurt anything to take Darkside for a spin. Oops and/or Lightside, read the notes on those, darkside=systemd vs lightside=sysv mostly the differences ? If remember correctly anyway. DAMMIT ... also not sure how actively either of those are being maintained.

Just more stupe babble musings.

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2015-02-26 22:40:15)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#168 2015-02-27 14:43:36

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Arghhhhhh !!!! Gotta post summin. Not that really matters ... just out of curiousity really. Computermouth = Ew ? Dude manifests many of Ew's trademarks imo. Blatant disrespect and contempt for Corenominal + #!. Technical ineptitude.

Edit: Not necessarily due to lack of ability. Sheesh, you've been posting about Ewbang forever. Thing ought to be one of the most well polished gnu/nix #!-like distro's in history by now. In this case though, may not really care about quality and well worth $10 bucks to slap up a site. It's an epic griefer opportunity and chance of a griefer lifetime. big_smile

84 diff user accts, meant to torment, incite crap and/or disrupt Bang-U. So curious, is it you-Ew ? Fess up dude. Plus where were you Oct 15th of 1999 at approx 3:14pm !?!?!?! Confess dammit, confesssssss !

Vll! smile

If it's not you-Ew sorries dude. Does seem somewhat consistent though and taxing trying to keep up w such epic grieferness. Arghhhh, can'tcha take up stamp collecting or summin ? big_smile

Not trying to be aholish. Just wondering wth, sometimes find myself liking/agreeing w Ew, then have to stop and wonder if it's actually something he's sincerely typing or if he's arguing w one of hiz own sock puppets or what. For reasons that can only be known to Ew. Sighs ... shrugs.

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2015-02-27 15:48:33)

#169 2015-02-27 20:09:03

computermouth

No, I registered last year with this username and have only ever used this one. Also, I hope I haven't portrayed any blatant disrespect for Corenominal. In fact, I think he's a super cool guy, who built a super cool distro.

The technical ineptitude is kind of a misstep too. I'm working through my Bachelor's in Computer Science, work nights as a sysadmin for a public library, and have managed to repackage all corenominals packages, build the disc, and set up a signed repo.

Also, I never intended to incite crap or disrupt the forums. In "The End" I even offered to lend my talents to the BL project. Eventually, I settled that what I wanted going forward was a #! clone on Jessie, and that's not what BL is. So I started my own.

Hope that resolves some of the confusion/aggression.

Now powered by #!++, a #! revival project on Debian Jessie.

#170 2015-02-27 20:44:45

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

^ Like the funny black dude says in Rush Hour. Do ya hear da words that are coming outta my mouth !?!? Errrr ... well keyboard anyway. big_smile

Was mostly curious if you're Ew, in yet another sockpuppet configuration. Doesn't really much matter. Though did pull up CM's and spaceX's post histories side by side and imo are some clear similarities. Ala posting style + tude projected. This could be lack of sleep and too much caffeine regardless. Shrugs.

Either way no harm or sincere aggression meant. Let the chips fall where they may. Still personally endorsing the efforts of Johnraff, Damo, Pvsage and any other long time kickbutt nixers from this community. Not surprisingly, they're rising to the occasion. Didn't see the meta-package coming and gets a kewl-good idea from me.

Cmouth, just to be clear, if Corenominal were to post up and request dead stop on #!++, outcome would be ? If this has already been approved by Corenominal, biz missed it. So again, not offensively intended. Sighs ... ok, am no longer fit for human consumption atm. Need to listen to some music and unwind folks.

Vll! n whatever #! successor(s) wins out ! More than one viable option on the table. smile

Had to know o course, apparently #!++ is diff from #!, as Notepad++ is to following a lobster. tongue Errr or summin of the sort anyway. So open mouth, insert digi-foot biz, arghhhh. Still sticking w the above aka: Kickbutt #!'ers thang. Though help is for sure help wherever it can be found and eva lil bit helps.

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2015-02-27 21:29:33)

#171 2015-02-27 21:54:46

computermouth

Well once everyone started raising issues about the image and the name I directly contacted him to ask. He gave it the thumbs up, but if he hadn't: I'd have absolutely changed the name.

And I didn't necessarily mean you as far as the aggression goes. But there have been members of the forum who have expressed disdain purely based on the name and my not being a prominent part of the community.

Now powered by #!++, a #! revival project on Debian Jessie.

#172 2015-02-28 01:30:36

spacex
ew
Website

CBizgreat! wrote:

Arghhhhhh !!!! Gotta post summin. Not that really matters ... just out of curiousity really. Computermouth = Ew ? Dude manifests many of Ew's trademarks imo. Blatant disrespect and contempt for Corenominal + #!. Technical ineptitude.

Edit: Not necessarily due to lack of ability. Sheesh, you've been posting about Ewbang forever. Thing ought to be one of the most well polished gnu/nix #!-like distro's in history by now. In this case though, may not really care about quality and well worth $10 bucks to slap up a site. It's an epic griefer opportunity and chance of a griefer lifetime. big_smile

84 diff user accts, meant to torment, incite crap and/or disrupt Bang-U. So curious, is it you-Ew ? Fess up dude. Plus where were you Oct 15th of 1999 at approx 3:14pm !?!?!?! Confess dammit, confesssssss !

Vll! smile

If it's not you-Ew sorries dude. Does seem somewhat consistent though and taxing trying to keep up w such epic grieferness. Arghhhh, can'tcha take up stamp collecting or summin ? big_smile

Not trying to be aholish. Just wondering wth, sometimes find myself liking/agreeing w Ew, then have to stop and wonder if it's actually something he's sincerely typing or if he's arguing w one of hiz own sock puppets or what. For reasons that can only be known to Ew. Sighs ... shrugs.

Sorry mate. The plusplus project has nothing to do with me. Do you really think that Corenominal would let me use the CrunchBang trademark with his blessings? Nope, Ben has to Phillips nephew or something....

But I have also started on a new "ewbang" the last few days. As everyone else seems to do it. A beta is already out. But it's not a CrunchBang clone, even though it's somewhat influenced by CrunchBang.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/tweaklinux/

For anyone trying it, take notice of this bug in the Debian-installer:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo … bug=767682

In short. Don't let there be a grub in any partitions that you want to use for the install. If there are, erase the data, or preformat it.

Regards,
spacex/ew
http://tweaklinux.org

#173 2015-02-28 03:11:28

AnInkedSoul
#! CrunchBanger

spacex wrote:

For anyone trying it, take notice of this bug in the Debian-installer:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo … bug=767682

That seems to involve having grub in the partition boot record instead of the master boot record which should be rare. Actually it should be non-existant as there are warning messages if you try to install grub to a partition instead of device.

no problems installing debian here

#174 2015-02-28 03:56:18

Inodoro Pereyra
#! Die Hard

spacex wrote:

But I have also started on a new "ewbang" the last few days. As everyone else seems to do it.

So I should call the abomination I'm building "BernyBang" then (I mean, since my name is Bernardo)?
Or should I go for broke, and just call it "CrapBang"? ]:D ]:D ]:D

Be excellent to each other!

#175 2015-02-28 06:01:11

Cope57
#! Member

A successor to Crunchbang?

1Q38IwK.png

When crunchbangplusplus makes it to thirteen on distrowatch, I will consider it a successor to Crunchbang, but until then, it is just another distribution.

( o< -Penguins rule!
/ /\
V_/_
Computers do not have problems, they have users. ~Cope57

Board footer