SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#126 2015-02-21 17:30:56

jalexander9
#! Member

Re: Looks Like Someone's Beat the Community in Pushing Out a #! Successor

^ Bu wah-ha-hahaha!!!...funny stuff...thanks for posting the link(s) + ^^...bu-wa-haha!....

Last edited by jalexander9 (2015-02-21 17:32:26)

Intel Pentium 4 150 GB HDD 4 GB RAM

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#127 2015-02-21 18:21:38

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

corenominal wrote:
Zill wrote:

Err... but who do we follow, Master?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjz16xjeBAA

Follow the lobster.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK--JIYFNpg

lol  lol  lol  And the Bunsen Burner powered Skateboard.  wink

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#128 2015-02-21 20:14:19

pvsage
Internal Affairs

It's interesting that corenominal has been here more since retiring the distro than he had been in the previous year. smile

Thank you for the clarification, Papa.  I don't see any problem with people having a look at CrunchBang++, any more than there is with people trying out Arch, or Ubuntu, or Puppy, or whatever else.  The community here continues to thrive despite members moving on to different distros, and sometimes they return to our distro. {)

#129 2015-02-21 22:39:23

Hy
#! CrunchBanger

spacex wrote:
Hy wrote:

The CB++ site says this:

'Addressing Some Controversy
-Today I reached out to Philip Newborough -- corenominal -- creator of the original #!. There has been some community concern expressed that the project's name encroaches upon the original and that our teaser banner might be found offensive. Corenominal responded:

"I think there has been some confusion somewhere, I love the image and I have no problem with you using the CrunchBang++ name. I wish you all the best with the project and I hope it's a huge success for you.
To clarify, no pain, love the image, love the name.
Keep rockin'"'

here: the ++ news page

....so is it okay (ie: not stepping on anyone's toes) to use this one in the interim? i mean i felt sort of bad using it when PN's opinion was unknown so i wiped it. But now?

You should edit your About Page. Your project IS NOT the continuation of CrunchBang. This community and whatever projects this community starts, is the continuation of CrunchBang. And when we honour the wish for a clean break by changing the name to Bunsen, Wally or whatever, it is highly problematic having an external project pretending to be the new CrunchBang, and using the name CrunchBang ++ ... Surely you understand this?

Not sure how you could have misinterpreted my post, but i was just quoting from the cb++ page.

It's not my page, it's not my respin; I made it pretty clear at the end of my post that i felt bad just using cb++ while Corenominal's opinion was unknown and wiped it from my drive. I'm 100% up for a community spin.

~ Wait - what? ~

#130 2015-02-21 22:41:44

Hy
#! CrunchBanger

corenominal wrote:
spacex wrote:
hhh wrote:

If there's confusion, it's caused by the fact that Philip's only posted 2 random comments here on the subject.

Yes. Corenominal should clearify this for the community.

I'm not sure that I need to clarify, but here goes ...

Ben has set-up a website promoting #!++. That is cool and good luck to him. The community here has decided to start BunsenLabs. That is cool and good luck to them. As far as I know, everybody is free to contribute and use either of the projects, which is also cool. Happy days.

Big thanks! smile

~ Wait - what? ~

#131 2015-02-21 22:47:02

CSCoder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

corenominal wrote:
Zill wrote:

Err... but who do we follow, Master?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjz16xjeBAA

Follow the lobster.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK--JIYFNpg

relevent 8o O:)

#132 2015-02-22 02:49:49

computermouth

Glad that's settled. Personally, I'm stoked for BunsenLabs. I will absolutely be following the progress. And if I or my github can be of any assistance, feel free to consult either! Sharing is what it's all about.

Now powered by #!++, a #! revival project on Debian Jessie.

#133 2015-02-22 12:04:51

spacex
ew
Website

corenominal wrote:
spacex wrote:
hhh wrote:

If there's confusion, it's caused by the fact that Philip's only posted 2 random comments here on the subject.

Yes. Corenominal should clearify this for the community.

I'm not sure that I need to clarify, but here goes ...

Ben has set-up a website promoting #!++. That is cool and good luck to him. The community here has decided to start BunsenLabs. That is cool and good luck to them. As far as I know, everybody is free to contribute and use either of the projects, which is also cool. Happy days.

The only problem is that most people then will assume that the Crunchbang++ is the continuation of the original CrunchBang, instead of Bunsen. CrunchBang++ then get a lot for free, while Bunsen doesn't. I would much prefer that Bunsen got that kind of free promo and branding. That's all.

You must understand the confusion when this community wasn't allowed to continue the CrunchBang name. While Bens new project are blessed by you to do just that. If it wasn't so imperfect, I would almost be suspecting that you somehow are involved with plusplus. But surely not, as the most basic CrunchBang stuff is broken, like the pipemenus. Well well...

But hey, no big deal. Bunsen isn't going to be a distro per say, it's more like the first ever openbox-DE. Which is awesome. Perhaps plusplus  can use the new BunsenDE. That way plusplus get sorted most of the rookie-mistakes.

Last edited by spacex (2015-02-22 12:13:55)

Regards,
spacex/ew
http://tweaklinux.org

#134 2015-02-22 12:31:50

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

spacex wrote:

The only problem is that most people then will assume that the Crunchbang++ is the continuation of the original CrunchBang, instead of Bunsen. CrunchBang++ then get a lot for free, while Bunsen doesn't. I would much prefer that Bunsen got that kind of free promo and branding. That's all.

I don't think this is much of an issue -- the #! home page directs users to the BunsenLabs thread on these forums.
http://crunchbang.org/

#135 2015-02-22 13:39:46

computermouth

spacex wrote:

If it wasn't so imperfect, I would almost be suspecting that you somehow are involved with plusplus. But surely not, as the most basic CrunchBang stuff is broken, like the pipemenus. Well well...

But hey, no big deal. Bunsen isn't going to be a distro per say, it's more like the first ever openbox-DE. Which is awesome. Perhaps plusplus  can use the new BunsenDE. That way plusplus get sorted most of the rookie-mistakes.

These problems are based on the pipemenus reliance on Philip's repository. Which is currently being resolved. Cheers!

#136 2015-02-22 13:40:25

Hy
#! CrunchBanger

One downside of all this is getting re-listed on Distrowatch ...and probably sitting in the waiting list for years sad
...but, that said, i think Softpedia seems a little more 'vital' than DW these days.

~ Wait - what? ~

#137 2015-02-22 13:57:13

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

@Hy, if its good, it will list automagically, if not..., well why bother people with it.

#138 2015-02-22 15:01:09

spacex
ew
Website

computermouth wrote:
spacex wrote:

If it wasn't so imperfect, I would almost be suspecting that you somehow are involved with plusplus. But surely not, as the most basic CrunchBang stuff is broken, like the pipemenus. Well well...

These problems are based on the pipemenus reliance on Philip's repository. Which is currently being resolved. Cheers!

Strange. We are several that have used the pipemenus for CrunchBang respins, and in other distros, and we have no problems getting them working from the get go. Obviously I modify some of them to suit the distro, release and the apps I'm using, but still. You probably should have been able to do that yourself smile

Anyway, no need to fix it for me. My own remastered Crunchbang image has it all working, and I'm now in the process of creating a new distro of my own, utilizing what's best in CrunchBang, but making different choices as far as app-selection and visual appearance, and obviously, I think that my distro is even better than the original. Not much left to do. It will not be a beta or  a release candidate, as everything is working as it should There are no bugs, other than the bugs that still are in vanilla Jessie smile

That's the advantage of keeping all the binaries vanilla Debian. it's not my problem sorting out the bugs. The only thing I take with me from Crunchbang, is the menu-structure, the pipe-menus and the exit and lock scripts, with my fixes for systemd. No need for any repo of my own, and the only thing I need to maintain, is the theme suite, the pipemenus, and the debian compilation as such.

But I wish you the best of luck. I only think that you should use a different name, as there are no point in the revival of CrunchBang, if the distro-clone is worse than a simply upgraded Waldorf-install. Hint. The pipemenus works there smile

Regards,
spacex/ew

#139 2015-02-22 15:42:27

computermouth

spacex wrote:

But I wish you the best of luck. I only think that you should use a different name, as there are no point in the revival of CrunchBang, if the distro-clone is worse than a simply upgraded Waldorf-install. Hint. The pipemenus works there smile

Correct, because it's using the #! repos. If I'd added the #! repos to the Beta, they'd have all worked too. I just want it to be self-reliant.

#140 2015-02-22 16:48:53

spacex
ew
Website

computermouth wrote:
spacex wrote:

Correct, because it's using the #! repos. If I'd added the #! repos to the Beta, they'd have all worked too. I just want it to be self-reliant.

OK That makes sense. I haven't actually tried your iso-image, just read what others say about it.

But adding the Crunchbang repos would break them for me, as I don't use the Crunchbang pipemenus as is, but my own versions of some of them. Others are not used at all, and I've added a few new ones by myself. So I have my own suite of pipemenus.

Anyway, good luck, I'm sure your distro-project will be awesome, and you've managed to get yourself a flying start by getting Corenominal on board with your project-name. Even if I don't like that you have gotten yourself this advantage, I have to admit that it makes perfectly sense for you to do just that:)

The only problem with this, is that I have to take my project further from CrunchBang, because I can't compeet with a #!-like distro, named #!++. My name tells nobody that it's anything like CrunchBang, and that's a disadvantage. Well, perhaps it's healthy for me. I need to free myself from being too influenced by CrunchBang. Waldorf can be upgrade to both Jessie and Sid, and I managed to do the same with Statler. So why release something that already exists?

Ok, back to the drawing board. I need to change the UI significantly away from CrunchBang and CRunchBangplusplus. Thanks for forcing me to do just that. It's not only Corenominal that needs a clean break. It's very limiting to lock the mind on one way to do it smile

Last edited by spacex (2015-02-22 16:50:14)

Regards,
spacex/ew

#141 2015-02-22 17:06:09

computermouth

spacex wrote:

The only problem with this, is that I have to take my project further from CrunchBang, because I can't compeet with a #!-like distro, named #!++. My name tells nobody that it's anything like CrunchBang, and that's a disadvantage. Well, perhaps it's healthy for me. I need to free myself from being too influenced by CrunchBang. Waldorf can be upgrade to both Jessie and Sid, and I managed to do the same with Statler. So why release something that already exists?

This is all very true. The reason I wanted to name it something was so that people would know what it was. Corenominal's addition of BunsenLabs to the crunchbang.org page should be a big help! As far as why, even if I weren't hosting it publicly, I'd build the installer for myself. I'd rather just install something that I wouldn't have to make any changes to. I'm sure some others might feel the same. Once we're both up and running, I'll be putting a mention for BunsenLabs on the website. You guys are doing a good thing here, and I'm sure there's a pile of users who'd like something new rather than a patched crunch clone.

#142 2015-02-23 23:30:00

News Plus
#! Member

computermouth wrote:

... and I'm sure there's a pile of users who'd like something new rather than a patched crunch clone.

+1

#143 2015-02-24 11:19:31

spacex
ew
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
spacex wrote:

I don't think this is much of an issue -- the #! home page directs users to the BunsenLabs thread on these forums.
http://crunchbang.org/

Yes, for now it does. But I assume that this webpage needs a new domain... If not, then it isn't the clean break that Core wanted. And when this webadress changes to bunsenlab.org or whatever, then it becomes a issue.

Regards,
spacex/ew

#144 2015-02-24 11:28:19

spacex
ew
Website

computermouth wrote:
spacex wrote:

This is all very true. The reason I wanted to name it something was so that people would know what it was. Corenominal's addition of BunsenLabs to the crunchbang.org page should be a big help! As far as why, even if I weren't hosting it publicly, I'd build the installer for myself. I'd rather just install something that I wouldn't have to make any changes to. I'm sure some others might feel the same. Once we're both up and running, I'll be putting a mention for BunsenLabs on the website. You guys are doing a good thing here, and I'm sure there's a pile of users who'd like something new rather than a patched crunch clone.

Yes, true.  smile

Regards,
spacex/ew

#145 2015-02-24 13:55:59

spacex
ew
Website

Unia wrote:
sysaxed wrote:
Unia wrote:

These quotes should suffice.

#!++ is clearly a distinct name and indicates a break from the project. There is no problem whatsoever.

Uhm.. no. Crunchbang++ is still 10/12 the same name.

Well Unia, I was on your side as I thought that Corenominal wouldn't like the rise of a new distro with the name CrunchBang. Because that was the signals he left early on. But he corrected me, and he is actually very happy for the CrunchBang++. So it seems like he prefers the name to carry on, as long as it isn't you mods or existing members that continue the name.

Perhaps he's Ben's uncle or something. Anyway, it's confusing to hear what you have said about Corenominal's wishes, and what he himself now say about Bens project and the use of CrunchBang++... Very confusing indeed...

Regards,
spacex/ew

#146 2015-02-24 22:46:45

sysaxed
#! Member

Errr, what happened with the title?

#147 2015-02-24 23:41:41

Forthy
#! CrunchBanger

Dodgy thread merge I think

#148 2015-02-25 02:14:11

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

Read the first post that explains it.

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#149 2015-02-25 03:26:48

Inodoro Pereyra
#! Die Hard

spacex wrote:

Anyway, it's confusing to hear what you have said about Corenominal's wishes, and what he himself now say about Bens project and the use of CrunchBang++... Very confusing indeed...

I don't see it as confusing.
The way I see it, he expressed his wish that the Crunchbang name and logo died with Waldorf, but now he's realizing that, while we may honor his wishes, it's impossible to "enforce" them on other people, and, somehow, he's accepting that.
I don't think he actually likes the idea. What I think is this shows he's just too polite, and too much of a nice guy, to tell the guy what he'd have a right to tell him.

Personally, I'm not that polite, so I would like to present a motion to the community to boycott any distro that doesn't respect Corenominal's wishes. I think we owe him, at least, that much.

Be excellent to each other!

#150 2015-02-25 03:37:05

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

His licensing,, the WTFPL, specifically states, do what you want too with my code, just change the name. It's in every script he created for Crunchbang. I don't see how it can be any more clear then that  neutral

Board footer