SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#101 2015-02-17 14:28:15

snowpine
#!-a-roo

Re: Looks Like Someone's Beat the Community in Pushing Out a #! Successor

"Oh my!" is George Takei's catch-phrase. So I interpreted Corenominal's cryptic tweet as telling the community "it's okay to be Takei."

/hugged

Be excellent to each other!

#102 2015-02-17 14:46:06

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

spacex wrote:
johnraff wrote:

btw most of the things they say on their site don't work yet on #!++ are working fine on Wally, and presumably any number of other #! clones...

Yes, but we are not going to tell them how to fix those things, are we? I'm sure not going to smile

Well if they had spent any amount of time on these forums, they would already know how to fix that stuff  wink

#103 2015-02-17 19:39:25

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@snowpine:  I got a Takei vibe from the tweet as well.  Do you suppose there's a reference to Takei's orientation (c.f. my post here)? O:)

#104 2015-02-17 19:51:40

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ ...and they'd have enough respect for Philip to not make what, upon a little reflection, appears to be an attempt to fragment our community.

#105 2015-02-17 20:26:54

Kuno
#! Die Hard

Someone looked at that site lately under News ???  sad

Last edited by Kuno (2015-02-17 20:28:27)

#106 2015-02-17 20:27:09

arcum
#! Junkie
Website

also... is that Phil's head on display there?

well does anyone here know that guy? https://twitter.com/computermouth

EDIT; well... corenominal approves "according to that newspost" - if so, who are we.........  neutral

Last edited by arcum (2015-02-17 20:32:06)

playtime's over - shit just got real

#107 2015-02-17 20:35:20

AnInkedSoul
#! CrunchBanger

aww cmon now...dont let that stop the drama...

#108 2015-02-17 21:32:47

Kuno
#! Die Hard

arcum wrote:

well does anyone here know that guy? https://twitter.com/computermouth

Me not. In fact, i don't really know folks, who aren't allowed to drink alcohol yet... neutral

#109 2015-02-17 22:11:18

corenominal
WRONG
Website

@snowpine @pvsage, you two are too funny! big_smile

Ex-developer of #! CrunchBang. Follow me on Twitter smile

#110 2015-02-17 22:12:45

corenominal
WRONG
Website

Forthy wrote:

What if computermouth is core nominal, and this is all just a strange experiment?  yikes

Twisted imagination, you have.

#111 2015-02-17 23:02:24

Forthy
#! CrunchBanger

^thou dost protest too much  tongue

#112 2015-02-18 09:37:02

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Forthy wrote:

What if computermouth is core nominal, and this is all just a strange experiment?  yikes

2 which Corenominal replied ...

Twisted imagination, you have.

Did anyone else read that reply and think of Yoda ? Hmmm ... what if Corenominal is Yoda !?!? Btw ... that's clearly a compliment, Yoda's like 4,000yrs old and still kicks farkin azz ! Errr ... plus techically he died in the movie but hiz ghost still kicks major farkin azz anyway. tongue

Vll!

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2015-02-18 09:39:18)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#113 2015-02-18 12:27:45

ferenc
#! Member

relax.

About the name and face: Corenominal and the author will sort this out. In the end, it may go to C&D. My personal feeling is that this is a kind of a joke... a a flattery. I mean we all love crunchbang and the first idea is: Phillip. I am sure they will sort it out in the end. That's what normal people do, but it may last a day or two and we do not have to know about the details. Personally, I would be honored. But I have a different name...

Second: about the distro: if it works in 64 bits and shows potential: good. I might try it. If not, it will die off pretty soon and nobody will care.

I have personally went lubuntu on 2 machines - and it is rather fantastic, new packages compared to wheezy, some stuff is great (drivers!) and... no systemd yet! All you have to do is clean out some Canonical crap and get a decent theme...

f

#114 2015-02-20 01:07:12

Hy
#! CrunchBanger

The CB++ site says this:

'Addressing Some Controversy
-Today I reached out to Philip Newborough -- corenominal -- creator of the original #!. There has been some community concern expressed that the project's name encroaches upon the original and that our teaser banner might be found offensive. Corenominal responded:

"I think there has been some confusion somewhere, I love the image and I have no problem with you using the CrunchBang++ name. I wish you all the best with the project and I hope it's a huge success for you.
To clarify, no pain, love the image, love the name.
Keep rockin'"'

here: the ++ news page

....so is it okay (ie: not stepping on anyone's toes) to use this one in the interim? i mean i felt sort of bad using it when PN's opinion was unknown so i wiped it. But now?

~ Wait - what? ~

#115 2015-02-20 12:30:12

spacex
ew
Website

tknomanzr wrote:
spacex wrote:
johnraff wrote:

btw most of the things they say on their site don't work yet on #!++ are working fine on Wally, and presumably any number of other #! clones...

Yes, but we are not going to tell them how to fix those things, are we? I'm sure not going to smile

Well if they had spent any amount of time on these forums, they would already know how to fix that stuff  wink

Sure they would. But they are outsiders. They don't know shit. But really people, you can all just settle down. No point for anyone to do anything. I'm in the process of learning how to make distros like Core and other Pro's do it. My first small test build yesterday was sufficient to make me comfortable that I will be able to do it. So whether it's the plusplus, Bunsen, Wally or any other attempts to make a good replacement for #!. Just forget it. You may beat me to it, but my release will be much better. tongue

So the Bunsen Lab would probably serve much better as my secretaries and guinea pigs. I fully understand that you wouldn't let Ben highjack you, but you really should consider letting me take charge of you. Corenominal, just sign over the keys to me, and I'll take care of Ben for you. Problem solved and all are warm, fuzzy and cuddly big_smile

Edit: I have to add that this prosedure would be the best way to ensure a clean break  8o

Last edited by spacex (2015-02-21 11:04:04)

Regards,
spacex/ew
http://tweaklinux.org

#116 2015-02-20 15:20:56

hhh
Cityspeak

If there's confusion, it's caused by the fact that Philip's only posted 2 random comments here on the subject.

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

#117 2015-02-21 10:54:29

spacex
ew
Website

hhh wrote:

If there's confusion, it's caused by the fact that Philip's only posted 2 random comments here on the subject.

Yes. Corenominal should clearify this for the community. But I hope there is no confusion as far as turning over the keys to Ben Young and his theme. Nor that Unia, PV and the rest of the Bunsen-team would ever let this become a community for Bens pluplus-project. Why not just tell them to f... off. Because it seems like those outsiders still think they have a fair chance getting us on board with them.

So Core and Mods. Clearify this once and for all. Are Ben Young in or out. Because if highjacked by outsiders, then I will have no part in this, and don't even wish such a project good luck. If they stay outside, and build their own community, then of course, good luck to them. But I'm sure not wishing them any luck in taking over us as a community for their project.

So PV and co, end this drama by saying a big thanks, but no thanks, to these outsiders. Do it in a way that cant be misunderstood, as it seems like they don't get it in any other way.

This paragraph in Bens new projects about page, doesn't seem like he 's getting it.

#!++
CrunchBang++ is an open source and completely free computer operating system, designed as a continuation of the CrunchBang Linux distribution, based on newer Debian 8 (Jessie) packages and built around the minimal and lightweight Openbox window manager. CrunchBang++ is also known as CBPP or #!++ or CrunchBang Plus Plus.

Last edited by spacex (2015-02-21 11:12:10)

Regards,
spacex/ew

#118 2015-02-21 11:17:47

spacex
ew
Website

Hy wrote:

The CB++ site says this:

'Addressing Some Controversy
-Today I reached out to Philip Newborough -- corenominal -- creator of the original #!. There has been some community concern expressed that the project's name encroaches upon the original and that our teaser banner might be found offensive. Corenominal responded:

"I think there has been some confusion somewhere, I love the image and I have no problem with you using the CrunchBang++ name. I wish you all the best with the project and I hope it's a huge success for you.
To clarify, no pain, love the image, love the name.
Keep rockin'"'

here: the ++ news page

....so is it okay (ie: not stepping on anyone's toes) to use this one in the interim? i mean i felt sort of bad using it when PN's opinion was unknown so i wiped it. But now?

You should edit your About Page. Your project IS NOT the continuation of CrunchBang. This community and whatever projects this community starts, is the continuation of CrunchBang. And when we honour the wish for a clean break by changing the name to Bunsen, Wally or whatever, it is highly problematic having an external project pretending to be the new CrunchBang, and using the name CrunchBang ++ ... Surely you understand this?

Regards,
spacex/ew

#119 2015-02-21 11:42:27

#!#

spacex wrote:

it is highly problematic

Is it problematic for who?For you?Not for me for example wink

Philip Newborough -- corenominal -- creator of the original #! say:

I have no problem with you using the CrunchBang++ name. I wish you all the best with the project and I hope it's a huge success for you

Clear?

wink

#120 2015-02-21 13:15:31

corenominal
WRONG
Website

spacex wrote:
hhh wrote:

Yes. Corenominal should clearify this for the community.

I'm not sure that I need to clarify, but here goes ...

Ben has set-up a website promoting #!++. That is cool and good luck to him. The community here has decided to start BunsenLabs. That is cool and good luck to them. As far as I know, everybody is free to contribute and use either of the projects, which is also cool. Happy days.

#121 2015-02-21 13:52:57

damo
#! gimpbanger

corenominal wrote:
spacex wrote:
hhh wrote:

Yes. Corenominal should clearify this for the community.

I'm not sure that I need to clarify, but here goes ...

Ben has set-up a website promoting #!++. That is cool and good luck to him. The community here has decided to start BunsenLabs. That is cool and good luck to them. As far as I know, everybody is free to contribute and use either of the projects, which is also cool. Happy days.

Unfortunately we got the information that you didn't want the Crunchbang name or "branding" to carry on, here, hence a new name

pvsage wrote:

Philip has mentioned that, since CrunchBang has been his project from the beginning, he would like to see the name separated from any derivative that succeeds it

sad

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#122 2015-02-21 14:03:48

corenominal
WRONG
Website

damo wrote:

Unfortunately we got the information that you didn't want the Crunchbang name or "branding" to carry on, here, hence a new name

pvsage wrote:

Philip has mentioned that, since CrunchBang has been his project from the beginning, he would like to see the name separated from any derivative that succeeds it

sad

Yes, that is entirely my fault and I apologise. The mods are not to blame for this, the message I gave to the mods was ambiguous and too easily open to interpretation. I should have been clearer.

That said, CrunchBang++ is not CrunchBang, in the same way as Notepad++ is not Notepad, and C++ is not C.

#123 2015-02-21 14:24:08

damo
#! gimpbanger

^ Thanks  {) ++

Whatever, it is all very exciting  lol

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#124 2015-02-21 16:57:44