SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#51 2015-02-16 12:33:14

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

Re: Looks Like Someone's Beat the Community in Pushing Out a #! Successor

sysaxed wrote:
johnraff wrote:

@sysaxed no there's nothing on GitHub or anywhere else. Philip's announcement was ten days ago. (In this universe, that's a relatively short time.)

Well, and I don't know why. Any efforts on this stage must be shared on github, otherwise you're just playing in your own closed corner.

I am in the process of creating a BunsenLabs GitHub organization. I'll make a separate thread on this, later.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

Be excellent to each other!

#52 2015-02-16 13:11:18

spacex
ew
Website

sysaxed wrote:
johnraff wrote:

@sysaxed no there's nothing on GitHub or anywhere else. Philip's announcement was ten days ago. (In this universe, that's a relatively short time.)

Well, and I don't know why. Any efforts on this stage must be shared on github, otherwise you're just playing in your own closed corner.

spacex wrote:

Let's follow Bunsen, Wally or whatever springs out of this community, but don't let Ben Young and other outsiders snatch this project.

Well, one thing you should note is that #!++ is being actively/discussed developed on github. And even though I don't want to promote one or another fork at this stage, I'm actively helping with anything I can.

Even if #!++ is not the way to go, it is definitely a good fallback in case pvsage takes down the community efforts to create another one-man distro... Guys, it is good that we have several "forks" right now. Choice is good.

Yes, and that's fine. It is a fork. Nothing wrong with that. Anyone can fork anything. But don't pretend like it's the continuing of #!. That's where the abuse lies. Don't keep the name so close, and do not try to get people on board by highjacking this community. This new project has nothing to do with CrunchBang, and this community forum shouldn't at all be used for it. Actually I would suggest that their threads not only gets closed, but also removed. Outside projects doesn't belong in this community.

You see, there are several of us that are offering remastered images, install scripts and things like that. But that's different. My remaster for example, is Crunchbang Waldorf upgraded to Jessie. Pure and simple. Doesn't pretend to be the new Crunchbang. It is just a service to those that have issues upgrading Waldorf themselves. The same with install scripts and tutorials to create Cruchbang from Debian netinstalls and stuff. These are all things that are perfectly valid, and things that we have done long before CrunchBang ever was declared dead.

Ben's thing on the other hand is a completely different thing. It is a outside man/group's effort to take advantage of CrunchBangs death, by pretending like their new project is the continuing of CrunchBang. It is not. It is a completely new project. Has nothing to do with CrunchBang at all. So that is the problem. Them trying to associate their new project with the good reputation of Crunchbang. Much easier than creating a brand for themselves. But it's borderline immoral.

Regards,
spacex/ew
http://tweaklinux.org

#53 2015-02-16 13:17:32

spacex
ew
Website

KrunchTime wrote:
spacex wrote:

Grabbing the opportunity to run away with the original work, free branding, and free users.

But, isn't that kind of the nature of FOSS?  A bit different scenario, but someone uses a program, sees things that can be done differently and/or better, and does so.  Isn't the opportunity to run away with the original work what kind of drives forks of existing projects?

Yes, but the problem lies in keeping the name and brand so close that people can confuse it with the original. Take SolydXK for example. They did it the wright way. Created their own new brand. That is the only decent way to do it.

Regards,
spacex/ew

#54 2015-02-16 13:22:45

g33zr
#! Die Hard

^+1 and SolydXK is a fine Debian-based distro.

It's never too late to learn something new! wink

OHCG | LXer

#55 2015-02-16 13:25:58

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@spacex:  It feels so odd to have ew in our corner.  Good, but odd.  I'm trying to adjust to the oddness, but I appreciate ew'r support, as do the other mods.

#56 2015-02-16 13:35:50

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

@computermouth: https://corenominal.org/

Another indication that Corenominal does not approve of spinofs using a similar name to Crunchbang. Please adapt your project as soon as possible.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#57 2015-02-16 13:39:43

spacex
ew
Website

Unia wrote:
sysaxed wrote:
johnraff wrote:

I am in the process of creating a BunsenLabs GitHub organization. I'll make a separate thread on this, later.

One thing is 100% sure. I much rather would get on board with you guys. Even though I'm to much of an individualist to ever be part of a group like that. I'm more like Corenominal. I need to do it my way smile

Personally, when I discovered that the Debian netinstalls also does UEFI ootb, I'm leaning more and more to Debian netinstalls with different install scripts on top of it. It is best that all the binaries are in Debian, and that it's just config-files that differs any Debian-derivative from Debian itself.

The perfect approach is. Do the debian netinstall with just the standard system tools, then wget the install script you like to use. Keeps the ISO's small, and requires much less work than keeping and maintaining own big repos and iso's...

But that's just my opinion. So if I evcer create any distro, it will be done like that. The ISO offered for download would be the official debian netinstall.iso, and instead I would be offering a install script that does the rest to make it my distro. Sure, I would have to keep somethings outside Debian. like Wallpapers, icons, themes, custom pipemenus, a few config-files and things like that. But not all that much...

Regards,
spacex/ew

#58 2015-02-16 13:41:32

spacex
ew
Website

Unia wrote:

@computermouth: https://corenominal.org/

Another indication that Corenominal does not approve of spinofs using a similar name to Crunchbang. Please adapt your project as soon as possible.

100% agreed. ASAP.

Regards,
spacex/ew

#59 2015-02-16 13:42:59

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Awwww, shucks as usual Krunchmeister, ya say the nicest things fellow nixer. tongue For real appreciate the nice words Krunch.

Have zero doubt JohnR and Pvsage know of which they speak. Both of which being nixers I'd happily trust. Yep ... sticking by not liking what #!++ is doing. Even if it were an identical Crunch-clone. Which it's obviously not or JR and PS wouldn't be pointing out clear short-comings.

Outside of many other obvious indications the person(s) behind the effort are Aholish and not to be trusted, add to it putting out a half baked pre-beta, claimed beta #! clone ? Good gawds, this thing got me thinking about something, that's been crossing my mind anyway lately. Things like Devuan initially brought it to front of mind.

People are poss taking these anonymous weirdoes seriously ? Considering installing software from this oddball source ... seriously ? So introducing weird babble, take 1,619 !

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2015-02-16 13:45:15)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#60 2015-02-16 13:51:00

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

spacex wrote:

The perfect approach is. Do the debian netinstall with just the standard system tools, then wget the install script you like to use. Keeps the ISO's small, and requires much less work than keeping and maintaining own big repos and iso's...

But that's just my opinion. So if I evcer create any distro, it will be done like that. The ISO offered for download would be the official debian netinstall.iso, and instead I would be offering a install script that does the rest to make it my distro. Sure, I would have to keep somethings outside Debian. like Wallpapers, icons, themes, custom pipemenus, a few config-files and things like that. But not all that much...

That is  exactly what I am setting up now. The GitHub organisation will hold our community artwork, scripts and configs. The idea is that after a netinstall, one clones the github repositories and runs the install script that installs packages and puts everything into place. Once this is working, we can move on to something more complicated such as providing scripts that locally build .debs so apt or aptitude can track installed items. But hey, walk before you run and all that.

#61 2015-02-16 14:07:33

uname
#! Junkie

I need a live-cd/usb. Perhaps someone can use "debian-live" (jessie) to build it and upload a hybrid-iso and mainly the debian-live-configuration for recreation. Please minimize packages from http://packages.crunchbang.org/waldorf/pool/main and use only #!-configurations. Thanks.

Last edited by uname (2015-02-16 14:08:17)

#62 2015-02-16 14:19:21

snowpine
#!-a-roo

This negativity makes me so sad. Kudos to computermouth for taking actual action steps instead of sitting around complaining. smile

/hugged

#63 2015-02-16 14:21:24

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@uname:  That is the ultimate goal; the task du jour is actually working out what will be in it.

#64 2015-02-16 14:26:57

computermouth

Yes, our changes are all on github.

Yes, the name seems to be causing some controversy.

Yes, there are the aforementioned 'Ben bugs'.

Ultimately, I was building this literally just so that I could keep using crunchbang. Want to contribute? Cool! Want to help on Bunsen? Cool! Community wins no matter what.

Now powered by #!++, a #! revival project on Debian Jessie.

#65 2015-02-16 14:27:43

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

I began work on setting that up last night but to be fair it will be awhile before you see a Live Version. One thing folks need to understand is that it would be far better to build and push a polished product than it would be to slap a few things together, rebrand it, and call it the #! successor. Our initial work was what I would call exploration: i.e. what is the best way to bring up a basic OpenBox + Debian system from a netinstall. Document the process, then move forward.

I have moved on to work on the Live Build setup and configuration but please do note that I am very early into that process at this point and much testing will need to be done to ensure it all works as expected. Also a Live Build requires a couple of hours to complete, even on decent hardware so it may take me a bit to show some results.

Once we get an official github setup we will be able to begin to merge our efforts and it will all begin to make more sense, I am sure.

#66 2015-02-16 14:29:18

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

tknomanzr wrote:

Once we get an official github setup we will be able to begin to merge our efforts and it will all begin to make more sense, I am sure.

Such is the idea smile

#67 2015-02-16 14:34:14

sysaxed
#! Member

Unia wrote:
tknomanzr wrote:

Such is the idea smile

I don't know what are you waiting for. Put up just anything so that we can move discussions there. It doesn't have to be ready (in fact, nothing is ever ready), it doesn't have to be polished (in fact, it does not even have to be installable). Just put anything so that people who want to contribute can contribute (and also so that we can see the openness).

#68 2015-02-16 14:51:14

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

Calm it down, sysaxed. I have a life outside of this, too. It is up and anyone with google skills can find it. I will officially announce it in the forums later today as sitting in a bus is not the right moment to type such a post.

#69 2015-02-16 14:53:40

hhh
Cityspeak

computermouth wrote:

Yes, the name seems to be causing some controversy.

For me it's the image that's offensive. Maybe you're too young to remember what The Sex Pistols song "God Save the Queen" was about. It was anti-monarchy, equating The Queen with a fascist regime. The artwork is sexually dominating, The Queen's been blinded and gagged, held hostage by kidnappers whose ransom is the end of the monarchy.

If I were Philip, I'd be pissed that someone did that to my face.

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

#70 2015-02-16 15:03:38

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
Website

Unia wrote:

Calm it down, sysaxed. I have a life outside of this, too. It is up and anyone with google skills can find it. I will officially announce it in the forums later today as sitting in a bus is not the right moment to type such a post.

Take your time Unia ... I think that majority here understand that making distro is not your primary job, or even secondary smile

BTW, thanks for taking care of this!

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..
--> The very new BL forum! <--

#71 2015-02-16 16:54:16

spacex wrote:

And have no doubt, that's calculated. It's not done in love and admiration.

Yes, he was a bit too eager to buy the domain (he said he couldn't find corenominal's statement about the name, and neither could I) and the artwork has the potential of being offensive (although, it's probably made in best of intentions), but, dude, you've registered just a month ago, and you're already trying to impose your schizophrenic paranoia of strangerson on others? You are the only person overreacting and "jumping in panic" here.

Your technical suggestions are perfectly fine and the right way to do stuff like this (netinstall, then wget the script) but overzealously attacking someone, calling him a calculated gravedigger? Your social tact is bonkers. You have some issues you need to resolve with yourself before you engage with other people.

@spacex, well said

Great perspective @spacex!

@spacex  I have to agree with you.

LOLWUT?! I guess a community gets what it deserves, right? I'm just a passer-by who felt the need to register only to point out a toxic person.

Good riddance.  {)

Last edited by 2345 (2015-02-16 17:15:13)

#72 2015-02-16 17:16:25

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

^ Actually, @spacex has been with us for a long time under different accounts. I think we all know him best as ew, or common-sense. As a passer-by, perhaps you should dig into things a bit more before making such statements wink

#73 2015-02-16 17:27:26

That explains some things, but makes others even sadder.

#74 2015-02-16 17:36:06

Ragnarok
#! Member

I appreciate what you're doing, but please change your project's name and logo.

corenominal has been quite clear he doesn't want distributions based on #! to use the CrunchBang name, so please respect his wishes. I honestly think the logo is going a bit too far, too. You're using an image of Philip Newborough himself as the logo for your project and your avatar. It seems pretty obvious you're trying to appear to be corenominal/official successor/version 2.0.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#75 2015-02-16 17:39:40

intoCB
Scatweasel

The only problem I have with #!++ is that the concept not only goes against Corenominal's express wishes, it also uses his face. An Englishman's face is his own private castle.

In hindsight, a more restrictive license than the WTFPL might have been in order smile

This reply is published under the GPL.

Board footer