SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-13 15:34:27

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

Inside a Chinese Bitcoin mining operation

689-1423841301-share.png

I must confess that I understand very little about the gaining popularity of the pseudo-currency but found the video nonetheless very interesting, mostly due to the incredible scale of the effort.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2015-02-13 20:19:29

Bob E
#! Member

Re: Inside a Chinese Bitcoin mining operation

I did some looking around on your site and got Rick Rolled!  lol

"Never get out of the boat." - Apocalypse Now

#3 2015-02-13 20:28:23

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

Haha, I get people that contact me just to talk about my Terms of Service or their Rickroll.

"We've been together, for so long...."

#4 2015-03-02 09:25:12

#!wallace

Love this. Thanks for the video link. Those factories are pretty impressive. Almost up there with hosters such as 1&1. Those data centres they're using for their dynamic cloud servers are crazy big. Take a look. They went with renewable energy sources. Perhaps the Chinese guys should try it out. Save some of that 80,000 electricity bill at least.

Last edited by #!wallace (2015-03-02 15:52:51)

#5 2015-03-03 01:00:36

Inodoro Pereyra
#! Die Hard

Ok, I just saw the video, and read a little online, so I'm definitely NOT an expert on bitcoin mining, so try to be gentle... tongue

My question is, being that, for what they said in the video, the speed of those systems is so highly dependent on temperature, isn't it a bit inefficient to run so many air cooled systems inside a warehouse (of sorts)?
I don't know, maybe I'm way off, but I would liquid cool the hell out of those systems...

#6 2015-03-03 01:09:32

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

Correct. However, you have to balance the cost of the mining with the projected ROI. The best ROI would be a grid of cheap, highly capable units that don't have a lot of power consumption. Wait, wouldn't the new Raspberry pi's fit the bill? If doing it from a pc, you almost need to run the mining off of your gpu in order to get enough cycles to pay for your power consumption. I read up on it a couple of years ago and thought what a waste of resources. Now, I am figuring once someone figures out grid computing with raspberry pi's and wires up enough of them, it stands a good chance of devaluing the currency into worthlessness. Dang things have nearly as much processing power as my laptops.

Edit: I should add that most successful ooperations run specialized appliances running (big suprise here) ARM based processors.

Last edited by tknomanzr (2015-03-03 01:12:50)

#7 2015-03-03 01:50:31

Inodoro Pereyra
#! Die Hard

@Tknomanzr: For what I read here, PC's are no longer used. I wonder if a raspberry pi array with some very specialized software would be a suitable option.

What I mean is, I know the initial investment for a liquid cooling setup (especially of that size) would be (maybe significantly) higher than the setup on the video. But in the long run, I think it'd end up being much cheaper. Just in terms of needed  real state, you could probably put 3 to 4 times as many systems in the same space, and, if you can run the systems at a lower temperature (within reason, of course), they could be ran faster (maybe even with a degree of overclocking?), and therefore run more transactions with (comparatively) less electricity?

Of course, this is not something that can be solved without some real world data on the working conditions of those systems, but I think there could be a lot of room for improvement on that setup. Not to mention the power supplies running (and generating heat) inside the same room as the processors... roll

#8 2015-03-03 02:45:41

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

Yeah. I think we are on the same page here. It's just nt worth it for the average joe. But a rpi array using some grid technology, uber cooling, and possibly some super efficient Mips assembly or c for the decryption routines might make it worth it.

#9 2015-03-03 02:48:58

Inodoro Pereyra
#! Die Hard

tknomanzr wrote:

and possibly some super efficient Mips assembly or c for the decryption routines might make it worth it.

Well, call me a fanboi, but I was thinking HEX... ]:D ]:D

Board footer