SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-11 08:21:23

DisneyWizard
Website

I want to serve a Wiki, on Raspberry Pi, under Debian. What engines?

I want to serve a Wiki, on Raspberry Pi, while learning Python and Perl under Debian.
Two questions:
Where can I find a list of Wiki engines to run on RPi?
and
Which wiki engines facilitate the serving up of dynamic pages created on the fly with Python or PEARL?

The proposed initial platform is a Raspberry Pi B+, running Debian Wheezy, on a 128GB TransFlash card.
(BTW: imagine that, a stack of eight TFcards will fit in a pencap, and at 128GB ea. represent a Terabyte!)

I'm very familiar with editing on Wikipedia, and have created two wikis on Wikia, but want total control and the ability to monetize (serve advertisements.) To be clear, many megabytes are similar infrastructure, with an additional several infrastructure categories integrating ZIP code, Area Code and City, State as well as potentially billions of article entries. I was in the middle of developing an Android app which automated article page creation including a photo and map.

After weeks of searching, so far I have only found the MoinMoin Wiki engine (the problem it seems is that searching about hosting a wiki results in millions of posts ON wikis.) and being a charter member of the usenet news:comp.sys.raspberry-pi

I post these questions because I found this post:
Help me think of a debian wiki site to build
But he never reveals the engine...or the proposed site, just a duplicate Debian Wiki fork.
- UPDATE-
I have found a list of wiki engines at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wiki_software

Last edited by DisneyWizard (2015-02-19 04:08:35)

I'm just a sniveling internet programmer - I have a code in my nodes. 8o

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2015-02-12 22:04:57

olegabrielz
#! Junkie

Re: I want to serve a Wiki, on Raspberry Pi, under Debian. What engines?

Hi there and welcome to the forum DisneyWizard smile

I just wanted to stick my head in and say hi and welcome in these exiting times. Buckle up and enjoy the ride!!

#3 2015-02-16 03:35:04

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

@DisneyWizard:  Welcome to the distro and the community.  Your question would have been more appropriate in the Off Topic/General Chat forum.  This forum is for users to introduce themselves.

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

#4 2015-02-16 05:18:25

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@KrunchTime:  He can't post in any other part of the forums yet, due to a new member policy change implemented a few days ago, and at the moment corenominal and bobobex are the only ones who can extend full "trusted" members' rights to new registrants.  We're working on a fix.

#5 2015-02-19 03:48:40

DisneyWizard
Website

Thanks, olegabrielz, KrunchTime, and pvsage for the welcome.8o --(o=8>
Yes, I actually tried to post first in Off Topic/General Chat which resulted in the 'not authorized to post' message. Anyhow, Howdy! This is what I'm about - RPi gift facilitates an old programmer who has forgotten more languages than most people know, or even know of. RPG, Fortran, Cobol (I HATE COBOL!) so many versions of BASIC, wrote a decompiler for the Commodore 64/128 in 6802 machine code, studied construction of computer languages, ADA, Pascal, C, C+, C++, Visual(youNameIt) then on to Wordprocessors, Lanier, WordPerfect x.x with macros and the whole bit, (MSWord sucks), never did PaperClip, VisiCalc and all it's competitors. Then moved on to Networking certification Novell, and WinNT and variants. When I was a kid I must have been the youngest to checkout and understand the library Packet Switched Networks book in 1976 which spent much of the book promoting packet over multiplex channel. I built an Altar 8080 with my dad using the plans from Radio & Electronics magazine, built a KIM-1, wanted a TRS-80 model 1 for Christmas at almost $700 and mom said no, dad said no and each bought one for themselves, that I could use when they weren't themselves. Got an Apple ][ to piss them off. VIC-20, Commodore 64 & 128 was my first user group in Santa Monica, CA. Charter member of SIG-APL while starting college Computer Science through Business Data Processing on Hollerith punch cards and from then on, even though I took the classes for the degree, realized that computer science offered by higher education is a joke because I can learn the latest without them. Nowadays who needs the guarded access to mainframes or TSO? I recommend Raspberry Pi and an internet connection is all that's necessary to satisfy any strong desire to learn coding.
So, add that to the web design, net admin and wiki publish - you know where I'm coming from.

Sorry I skipped all that and went straight to what I'd like to do with it - make the world a better place.
I still think that what I'm ABOUT at the moment is hosting a wiki on RPi (as an exploration of a stack of RPis doing it) and am searching without much success for suitable wiki engines, and that IS on topic, even though I didn't spark an answer or two. I did, however, discover the Wikipedia list of wikis since posting.

#6 2015-02-19 04:04:37

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

Maybe I'm wrong about this but if a RPi can run a LAMP stack, you should be able to pick whatever wiki engine will run on the stack.

#7 2015-02-19 12:56:28

DisneyWizard
Website

@tknowmanzr, Thanks, yes, RPi can run a LAMP stack. Which wikis do you recommend, best suited to the criteria? Links to the wikis which solve are appreciated, or even a link to where perhaps a #! reader has seen this 'wiki on RPi' question posed/solved elsewhere. Please reply at Index» Off Topic / General Chat» I want to serve a Wiki, on Raspberry Pi, under Debian. What engines? now that I, the nubie, can post there.

< simile > I love doing the research and comparisons, but in the library of #!, I'm stuck at the card index without direction as no librarian has yet pointed me towards 005.432! </ simile >

Last edited by DisneyWizard (2015-02-19 13:20:00)

#8 2015-02-19 13:54:22

damo
#! gimpbanger

DisneyWizard wrote:

< simile > I love doing the research and comparisons, but in the library of #!, I'm stuck at the card index without direction as no librarian has yet pointed me towards 005.432! </ simile >

I like your style DW - enjoy these exciting times with us smile

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#9 2015-02-19 16:13:53

Joe90
#! Junkie

Dokuwiki and Mediawiki seem the most popular and user friendly, not sure about the "ad" part though....

Board footer