SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-06 20:01:00

damo
#! gimpbanger

"Sparkle Dancer"? Nooooo!

I can't possible use a distro with that name! The sound of tiny hooves would be deafening sad

"Animal" works for me  lol

Last edited by damo (2015-02-07 11:45:14)

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2015-02-06 20:35:40

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Re: "Sparkle Dancer"? Nooooo!

@damo:
http://vimeo.com/97280566
I admit the name sounds delightfully inappropriate though. O:)

#3 2015-02-06 20:56:00

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

I keep imagining ponies and glitter. Lots of glitter. Just like my daughters would want it lol. You're just trying to run me to arch. Admit it  big_smile

#4 2015-02-06 21:00:05

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

tknomanzr wrote:

I keep imagining ponies and glitter. Lots of glitter. Just like my daughters would want it lol.

Your daughters may already be in luck.

#5 2015-02-06 21:05:58

damo
#! gimpbanger

schwim wrote:
tknomanzr wrote:

I keep imagining ponies and glitter. Lots of glitter. Just like my daughters would want it lol.

Luckily I hovered over your link before I clicked on it big_smile

Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#6 2015-02-06 21:10:06

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

damo wrote:
schwim wrote:
tknomanzr wrote:

Luckily I hovered over your link before I clicked on it big_smile

You know you want to install it.

#7 2015-02-06 21:13:29

pvsage
Internal Affairs

arpinux wrote:

oh yes !! good idea !! a crunchbang.deb big_smile you're right gwaldo ! so
...live and let die smile

This was my thought exactly; a single (or possibly a small handful of) .deb file(s) that could be downloaded (I was thinking more along the lines of a DA rather than a PPA, but whatever) and installed locally with dpkg -i.

altman wrote:
brontosaurusrex wrote:
arpinux wrote:

so if anyone wish to develop crunchbang on jessie, or want to use crunchbang on jessie, i'm proposing my little skill to test & build a CrunchBang distro based on Jessie.

i'm not here so often because i'm developping handylinux, a debian derivative for very beginners, but i think that crunchbang is the best Official Debian Derivative around and i really dont' want to let it go.

Sounds great, I would be interested to put in some configs/bash scripts/aliases/wallpapers/modified themes/modified icons into such project (whatever needed). p.s. arpbang sounds good to me.

Great idea , would that includes the # Slim as well !

Of course.  I want to have both Slim and GRUB themes similar to those in Waldorf. smile

cairenth wrote:

Sparkle Dancer? I have never associated crunchbang with sparkles before, but please keep up posted if it goes well!

Spoiler alert:  It's from Phase II and involves bloodworms.

#8 2015-02-06 21:15:11

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

schwim wrote:

You know you want to install it.

Heyheyheyhey.

Blurredponylines.

#9 2015-02-06 21:39:14

exidux
#! CrunchBanger
Website

My mind can not wrap itself around that link.
it tried, but it imploded.
Now i am stuck without my mind in the right place.

Last edited by exidux (2015-02-06 21:40:22)

~ When jessie hits stable you could upgrade crunchbang and keep it alive a bit longer.

#10 2015-02-06 21:43:37

olegabrielz
#! Junkie

I actually found it kind of cute though big_smile
But on the other hand: It's late friday night  lol

#11 2015-02-06 22:09:35

damo
#! gimpbanger

Even corenominal is using the SD word now. I'm devastated  8.(

Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#12 2015-02-06 22:21:22

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ I did say "working title" right? wink

How about we call it Zurg to keep it in the Debian spirit?

#13 2015-02-06 22:24:56

damo
#! gimpbanger

pvsage wrote:

^ I did say "working title" right? wink

How about we call it Zurg to keep it in the Debian spirit?

Phew, that's cool with me. I didn't want a dominant SD meme to evolve!

As Buzz says

Buzz Lightyear wrote:

"Right now, poised at the edge of the galaxy, Emperor Zurg has been secretly building a weapon with the destructive capacity to annihilate an entire planet! I alone have information that reveals this weapon's only weakness...."

"....he's mixing sources!"

Last edited by damo (2015-02-06 22:28:47)

Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#14 2015-02-06 22:31:39

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

^ LOL. Along with some ppa's sprinkled throughout.

#15 2015-02-06 23:15:58

twoion
Emerald Caffeine

pvsage wrote:

a single (or possibly a small handful of) .deb file(s) that could be downloaded (I was thinking more along the lines of a DA rather than a PPA, but whatever) and installed locally with dpkg -i.

Hosting a Debian repo is not so difficult.

IMHO, maybe that .deb could install a task (crunchbangify-task) which, upon execution, would pull in essential #! packages first (openbox, ...), install a resource package (wallpaper, themes, ...) and then take over these packages' configuration as required (ConfigPackage). Changing another packages' configuration in Debian requires some consideration (not declaring the intent is illegal) since things work different from just installing a package with the same name from a prioritized repository (apt pinning).

Tannhäuser ~ {www,pkg,ddl}.bunsenlabs.org/{gitlog,repoidx}

#16 2015-02-06 23:17:45

twoion
Emerald Caffeine

But that working title does indeed require reconsideration smile

Tannhäuser ~ {www,pkg,ddl}.bunsenlabs.org/{gitlog,repoidx}

#17 2015-02-07 00:22:15

lowrider
#! Die Hard

arpinux wrote:

i'm not here so often because i'm developping handylinux, a debian derivative for very beginners, but i think that crunchbang is the best Official Debian Derivative around and i really dont' want to let it go.

Well, Arp is the man who not only brings handylinux for the beginners but also created livarp which is a fantastic work for the advanced. If we can get you on board Arp you are more than welcome!

came for the distro, stayed for the community
streamripper :: smxi

#18 2015-02-07 01:26:30

TheSandman86

I realy want to see where this is going, especialy the name thing!!!

#19 2015-02-07 01:47:53

AwesomeFist
#! Die Hard
Website

I don't know about you guys, but I think the name is fantastic.  tongue

Hello, I go by Plio most internet places now, if you are seeing this it means that you are seeing one of my elusive "older internet accounts" (ooh, how exciting) Yeah...

My Tumblr (it's kind of dumb. Expect lots of webcomics, videogames, and anime)

#20 2015-02-07 02:32:30

StrangeCrunch

How about this Distro is "Bang On" ?

Or "The Animal Crunch"?

Dell D630, Crunchbang 11

#21 2015-02-07 03:58:52

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

i dont know what's happening here.  XD

i want in on the joke...

XD   what madness is this?   XD

#22 2015-02-07 04:20:42

snarkyguy

I don't care about the name, but I'd love to see this move forward. I'm not sure how much I could be of use, but I'd be willing to do whatever I can to help out.

#23 2015-02-07 04:47:20

intoCB
Scatweasel

Can we not just continue the forum as a Debian forum or even a Debian/Arch forum or even a Debian/Arch Openbox forum? (random name suggestion: Debarchery)

We could advise people how to put something #!-like together and maybe provide scripts. Do we need a distro?

#24 2015-02-07 05:20:07

johnraff
nullglob
Website

@pvsage Aargh... sorry but that name...  yikes

pvsage wrote:

For anyone interested, I hope to be able to take some time this weekend to dig into the .deb files that make CrunchBang what it is and see if I can repackage them so they can all be installed in a vanilla Debian netinstall without any repositories other than Debian.

To be honest, just over this last couple of weeks I'd been thinking it was time to play with a Jessie install and try to turn it into something like Waldorf. I'm just going to throw in the ideas that occurred to me and if you, and others involved here, think we are looking in vaguely the same direction then I'm happy to join in, rather than trying to do all the work myself!

-------------------------------------------

Starting from the opposite end from you, pvsage, I installed the "Xfce" version of standard Debian Jessie to see what was different from #! and what seemed to be working well, or not.
To date:
*) systemd by default. Politics aside it looks good. You can do eg

systemctl poweroff

to shut down as a normal user if PAM is set up right (which on Deb/xfce it is) which would make it very easy to recode cb-exit.
*) LightDM instead of Slim. This is working nicely, has more options than slim (eg timed login) and seems to be easily configured. (No GUI config tool though.)
*) Installing openbox, tint2, conky and friends is no problem. Viewnior is in the repos. I think it will very likely be OK to use vanilla Debian apps for nearly everything. The only possible exception I've found so far is pnmixer which would have to be compiled from source (probably not hard) or replaced.

-------------------------------------------

Ultimate target: a downloadable iso file, with a live session and installer, backed up by a repository?

Possible steps on that path:

*) A "how to" thread with instructions to follow and commands to run, starting from the Debian Netinstall? That might make it easy for many people to contribute ideas.

*) Some .deb metapackages to bring in the needed packages. Maybe start with the "core" desktop - just replicating the user interface tools and basic system - and later add all the fancy stuff and pipemenus? Like an sd-core package and, later, an sd-full package which would depend on it?

*) Repackage some other cb-* packages as sd-* (but please change the name!) and edit as needed?

*) Maybe as a side-project at some point I could try to rewire the cb-netinstall script to automate some of that...

*) Configuration. As twoion has made clear, it's a thorny path. Could we at least assume there'll be no cb-* packages around to clash with? Renaming all packages might make it easier to keep things clean? A lot of the config files are in /etc/skel to be pasted into users' home dirs by /usr/share/crunchbang/cb-user-setup (which is installed by cb-slim) , a script triggered by slim at each login. LightDM has a 'session-setup-script' setting which should be able to do the same. One file which might be tricky is /etc/skel/.config/openbox/menu.xml which would need to change, depending on whether sd-full had been installed, or only sd-core... So there's plenty to think about there. (Twoion I hope you'll be on board here.)

*) Theming - finding a theme which looks as much like Waldorf as possible, but works with the latest gtk3, or else something different? Wallpapers? Icon theme?

*) Put all that stuff up on a repository so people can just do a netinstall, add the gpg key and install the highest level metapackage to pull everything in?

*) Make an iso file with an installer built in?

*) Make an iso file with a live session too (I think that's harder)?

I don't know how that looks as the hazy beginnings of a roadmap?

---------------------------------------------------------

@pvsage, are we on basically the same wavelength?

If so, count me in, if not I'll try elsewhere. smile

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#25 2015-02-07 05:23:35

smacz
#! Junkie

There definitely seems to be enough ground swell to facilitate a successful fork. Setting aside the issue of the name for now (I have a humble suggestion, but will meditate on it for awhile longer) there doesn't seem to be any talk going on here.

Which leads me to ask...What are you guys playing around with? wink What is taking place in your VM's tonight?

Obviously I'd love to see something great show itself on the interwebz, which may take some time to build up, and I'm certainly content to wait. If there is going to be a concerted effort to rise up from the ashes of crunchbang, I, for one, would glady volunteer my time and effort to it, as #! has been more that just a distro, and more of a way of life to me.

Personally, I will be able to sleep tonight only if I know that there is a first step towards the future. There is much looking back to be done to make this happen though. I have neither the skills nor the experience to put together and manage a distribution such as crunchbang as corenominal has done -- a huge undertaking to say the least. If this is indeed going to be a successful venture, I would be in favor of at least a general discussion on an IRC channel, a mailing list, github, or elsewhere that would facilitate the evolution of "The distro formerly known as crunchbang".

In the spirit of justice, and in respect to @corenominal, I do support a hard fork:

Stan Marsh wrote:

I don't want everything to go back to the it was! You were right, (corenominal). Sometimes the only way to go forward is to take a big left turn. I've been resisting it, but I'm ready now. I want you to stay at (linux), dude. You're going to do this and I'm going to do my thing and... my (favorite distro) a(i)n't getting back together. But you know what? It's okay. In fact it's better. Where will (debian distros) go from here? That'll be cool to see! And it opens me up to a whole new adventure, exploring... new relationships with new (distros) in town. Maybe (Sparkle Dancer) will be my new (distro). Or maybe this (distro) will.South Park Wiki

P.S. Thank you @johnraff for the post you put up while I was writing mine. I will look into those points and reply in turn.

Board footer