SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#201 2015-02-07 22:37:29

jon#!

Re: The end.

So sorry to hear that you're calling it quits, although I do realize that time is a luxury that most cannot control. Even still, with all of the kind words, I cannot help but think that this is what linux should be, and if I hadn't found this corner of the internet I would have been forever looking. I cannot put into words how many times #! has come to my rescue, because of your moderators and your attitude towards the community which shines through. Your baby will not be forgotten, ever. Thank you so much, and all the best, you've truly created something special that no one can take away from you.

Sincerely,
Jon

Last edited by jon#! (2015-02-07 22:41:01)

"I would site regulation, but I know you would simply ignore it" - Spock

Be excellent to each other!

#202 2015-02-07 22:45:50

txtmsg

Thank you for all of your hard work, corenomial! I ran Crunchbang through all of grad school-- including writing my dissertation. Best of luck on your future projects!

{{ Eee 1005HA // Eee 1001PX // Thinkpad X131e }}
@desconcentrado

#203 2015-02-07 22:51:03

daks

I'm sad, I can't believe #! is gone, I will miss it, damn it...
J.Daks, Brno, Czech Republic

#204 2015-02-07 23:21:23

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

farinet wrote:

PS. The enormous conky thread here in the forum IMHO is really outstanding and would be just a sufficient reason to keep alive this comunity!

+1 lol

But then, I would.

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#205 2015-02-07 23:33:35

snowpine
#!-a-roo

Corenominal: Your announcement was neither expected nor unexpected. It sounds like you are doing the right thing for yourself and your family, and I respect that. Thank you for all your hard work! If only you had made #! a "rolling release" distro like I have suggested many times... (I kid, I kid! wink)

CrunchBang was there for me at exactly the right time, just as the Fluxbuntu project was ending, and I used it every day from 8.04 to 9.04. #! helped me switch full-time from Windows to Linux.

My favorite thing about #! was the interface. It was head and shoulders the most intuitive interface at the time for a mouse-hating, config-editing user such as myself. Phillip, you understand better than most how neckbeards like me interact with the machine. Hindsight is 20-20, but I really wonder what would have happened if, instead of creating a separate distro, you had collaborated on one of the major DE's like Gnome or LXDE. (I really truly believe if anyone could have made Gnome 3 not suck, it would have been YOU!) The #!-desktop is 1,000x superior to LXDE, and it's a shame #! will end while Lubuntu (for example) continues to exist.

To the Community, I think you know I have a love-hate relationship with you. But the fact is I have learned so much about conky, dmt, and ponies here through the years. Gratitude! I'll be back someday I'm sure to taunt you Sparkle Dancers! big_smile

/hugged

#206 2015-02-07 23:38:23

hinto
#! Windbag

"Sometimes I wish I hadn't taken the red pill" -Me

#207 2015-02-08 00:15:31

Time
#! Member

Hello everyone! CrunchBang - the best of the best!
Many thanks to the creator and to all the forum members!
I hope the forum will continue to work?

#209 2015-02-08 01:54:51

DigitalJedi
#! CrunchBanger

olegabrielz wrote:

@corenominal: CrunchBang was the OS that tipped the scale and made me migrate permanently into the GNU/Linux world.

+1

Nili wrote:

For me #crunchbang have been more than a system to use, the community and mod has made me feel like in my 2nd home.

+1

I'm sad...  8.(

I wish you all the best and thanks everybody for everything, the distro, the forum, the team, the "feel at home", I'll be coming back...

Now, back to distrohoping!  tongue

"Do or do not. There is no try." ~ Master Jedi Yoda

#210 2015-02-08 01:55:00

andril
Website

Thank you corenominal for a great GNU/Linux distro all of your work. The community has been great and very informative. Good luck with your moves in the future and hopefully you will have time to look back and see the changes you have made in Linux users.

Noob Question Alert: will my #! installs continue to update and run based on the repos?

#! Hit me like the suns rays - Stay Toasty my friends  big_smile
Registered User# 400765

#211 2015-02-08 01:57:48

pvsage
Internal Affairs

andril wrote:

Noob Question Alert: will my #! installs continue to update and run based on the repos?

Yup. smile  As long as you don't modify the source files, your Waldorf installs will continue to receive security updates as long as Wheezy is supported as oldstable.

#212 2015-02-08 02:01:34

tao

Very saddened by the news as I have been using CrunchBang as my main desktop for quite a number of years. Nothing has compared to it in my experience. I wish you the best of luck going forward and thank you for all of your work over the years. It, and CrunchBang, made a difference in my Linux experience.

#213 2015-02-08 02:07:57

hhh
Cityspeak

pvsage wrote:
andril wrote:

Yup. smile  As long as you don't modify the source files, your Waldorf installs will continue to receive security updates as long as Wheezy is supported as oldstable.

That's twice I've seen this. Aren't there a few #! specific packages? Like if a security hole is found in compton, you won't receive a security update for it because your #! system will have compton-git installed, unless corenominal releases an updated package.

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

#214 2015-02-08 02:14:10

DigitalJedi
#! CrunchBanger

Err... does this also means there will be no #! 12???...

"Do or do not. There is no try." ~ Master Jedi Yoda

#215 2015-02-08 02:15:29

hhh
Cityspeak

DigitalJedi wrote:

Err... does this also means there will be no #! 12???...

The end, dude.

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

#216 2015-02-08 02:30:06

samdraz
#! CrunchBanger
Website

sad to see my favorite distro coming to end, hoped you would say atleast you will put project on hiatus, so there is a hope it will be developed in future.

lack of competition/alternatives of the same ilk

i completely agree with that. we really need something which is similar to #! design.

Is there any anything like that developed(WM, tint, login manager etc.,) which follows those new(systemd[loginctl], dbus, docker, wayland) concepts?

Last edited by samdraz (2015-02-08 02:32:56)

#217 2015-02-08 02:43:12

pheebs

#! was one of my first linux experiences.

It was the first distro i used in Virtualbox to experiment with web dev beyond shared hosting.  This was the foundation of my career.

It's been a great live-cd distro for recovering friends documents on old slow pcs.

It revived my college laptop in it's sad older years.

It was an early source of my admiration for beautiful and functional minimalist design (seriously, the default theming on #! is perfection).

I have lurked the forums on and off over the years, I've always enjoyed the screenshot threads immensely. The SUB 100 club thread was one I remember in particular, great learning experience.

Thank you so much for #!, it's been great.

#218 2015-02-08 03:50:38

dummie789
#! CrunchBanger

I just now realized what's been bugging me all day long---

I   A L R E A D Y   M I S S   M Y   C R U N C H B A N G ! ! ! ! ! yikes

Well, never mind. I guess it's still good for a year maybe, so I'll make the most of it while it yet lives, and I'll definitely be looking for the great fork which will no doubt appear: "LibreBang!" . . . or maybe "FreeBang!"  lol

#219 2015-02-08 03:50:59

bubblehouse

Crunchbang introduced me to Linux and how to use it.
As a result, I still use it today.
Thank you for all of your hard work, it has been meaningful to many people from many places.
Cheers

#220 2015-02-08 05:22:53

vlax
#! CrunchBanger
Website

yes...

Probe34 wrote:

(...) My computer is a 486. Yes, that is right. A 486 with 2Gig of memory. (...)have edited SVG-files with Inkscape. I am able to run Blender with it. On a 486!

it's the same to me!

mine is also a 486 but with just 1gb ram,,,,  and since more than 2 years CrunchBang is THE SYSTEM that let me work with audio edition without a problem (ardour, audacity,jack)

Last edited by vlax (2015-02-08 05:29:05)

'_[=]_'

#221 2015-02-08 05:32:10

nore
>2^9

Thank you, Corenominal. I don't exagerate when I say that you have influenced more than any other individual on the way I use and teach about using Linux on desktop.

I discovered CrunchBang 8 just when I needed it: I had been trying to find out how to built a usable yet light desktop on a minimal install. Getting hands on a readily made and well thought release did not prevent me from learning, on the contrary. Each new version and new tools have taught something about efficient use of desktop.

I once wrote in "Ideas for Janice":

Geany, like many other features Corenominal has chosen, is a gentle push towards deep end of the pool.

I want to think that this is yet another gentle push, not a kick, and it came just in the right time.

Last edited by nore (2015-02-08 07:34:12)

#222 2015-02-08 06:35:51

amjjawad

corenominal wrote:

I have decided to stop developing CrunchBang. This has not been an easy decision to make and I’ve been putting it off for months. It’s hard to let go of something you love.

When I first started working on CrunchBang, the Linux landscape was a very different place and whilst I honestly didn’t know if there was any value to it, I knew there was a place for CrunchBang on my own systems. As it turned out, there seemed to be quite a demand for it on other people’s systems too. I’m not entirely sure why this was the case, but if I had to guess, I would say that it was probably due to the lack of competition/alternatives of the same ilk. If I’m remembering correctly, at the time, there was no LXDE tasksel in Debian and certainly no Lubuntu around. CrunchBang filled a gap and that was nifty.

So, what’s changed?

For anyone who has been involved with Linux for the past ten years or so, I’m sure they’ll agree that things have moved on. Whilst some things have stayed exactly the same, others have changed beyond all recognition. It’s called progress, and for the most part, progress is a good thing. That said, when progress happens, some things get left behind, and for me, CrunchBang is something that I need to leave behind. I’m leaving it behind because I honestly believe that it no longer holds any value, and whilst I could hold on to it for sentimental reasons, I don’t believe that would be in the best interest of its users, who would benefit from using vanilla Debian.

Talking of its users, thank you, you’ve been awesome and you’ve taught me so much, much of which is beyond the scope of this post, but needless to say, I think I’m much wiser now than I was before the existence of CrunchBang and its community of users. I’ve made many friends through the project, which for me, has ultimately been the biggest benefit of the project, and something I’ll be forever grateful for.

I also want to take a few words to thank my wife, Becky, aka bobobex. She has supported me and the project from the outset. Over the years, I’m sure I’ve bored her almost to death with my geeky gobbledygook and she’s never moaned about it once, well, not to me at least. Seriously though, thank you Becky for your support, help and guidance, you’re my rock and I love you.

Regarding what will happen to the CrunchBang forums, they will remain online. Ultimately, they belong to the community and so it will be for the community to decide what happens to them. I’m happy to continue supporting them for as long as need be. I have already expressed my thanks to the forum moderators, privately, but I would like to do so publicly too. Unless you’ve been involved with a project like CrunchBang, I’m not sure you can entirely appreciate the behind-the-scenes work that goes into it. The forum moderators have effectively kept the community running and without them, I’m sure there would not have been a community at all. Over the years, they’ve had to deal with some truly bonkers and poisonous people (seriously, there are some bat-fucking-crazy nutters out there with far too much time on their hands) and they’ve done so with enormous tact, diplomacy and decorum. All the forum mods have my utmost respect, they are an incredible bunch of people.

As for me, while I’m deeply sad to let go of a project that in many ways has defined my existence for many years, but I’m also excited to see what happens next. I’ve got a few little pet projects I want to work on, and I’ve also got a day job that I want to excel at. It’s going to be interesting to see what the future brings.

See you around smile

Hi Philip,

First of all, I don't think anyone can deny that .. this is definitely a sad news for the FLOSS and GNU/Linux world, no doubt about it. I'm not really a Crunchbang user and never was. I have tried it few times in the past and some months ago but it is just not the system that I'd like to use but that's me. However, I for one should know, understand and appreciate the efforts, energy, sweat, tears and blood that have been dedicated for this project. I should know because I'm the founder of many projects and I know what kind of HUGE burden that is. I'd like to show my appreciation and thank you for all what you have done to so many users and how all that had contributed to the GNU/Linux world. Thank you so much smile

I'm sorry that I didn't introduce myself earlier.

I'm amjjawad (AKA Ali Linx). Former Team Leader of Lubuntu for 2 years and was the one behind its fame. Ubuntu GNOME Community Manager since July, 2013. Founder of ToriOS (which is why I'm posting here) and official member of both GNOME foundation and Ubuntu. Of course, with more projects in hands where I'm involved either directly by being the founder or indirectly by contributing whenever I have time for that.

Here is my Wiki:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad

Here is my website:
http://amjjawad.net

I tend to disagree with you. There are so many users out there with old machines. Most of them are poor to the point they can't buy new machines nor even upgrade their old ones. There are everywhere in this world.
Also, there are many users who appreciate and like minimal/lightweight systems even though they have better machines. I should know because I have been working and dealing side by side with those for years smile

Thus, I'm approaching you and this kind and nice community that you formed around Crunchbang and share with you the progress of one of my projects, that is ToriOS:

http://torios.net/

ToriOS, while it is build based on Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS, we simply challenge all the systems that are based on Ubuntu to show figures like we currently have. It is unbeatable when it comes to how fast and easy to install as NONE of the systems AFAIK is using the installer we're using with ToriOS. So far, we're close to Beta and our tests show 60MB of RAM (less or more) when idle.

The concept of ToriOS is very unique IMHO. While it supports old machines (Non-PAE), it is modern and very beautiful. It has its own system/settings manager built in-house by our developer. We have lots of interesting stuff.

Why I'm posting and sharing this with you all?

(1) I'd like to know what is the future of Crunchbang?

(2) Is this community interested to join forces with ToriOS even though I'm aware that #! is based on Debian and ToriOS is based on Ubuntu (but they still from the same family anyway)?

(3) Is there anyway if #2 will be rejected to help each other as help is always needed and highly appreciated? you're the best who could understand what does: "it is an overkill and a huge burden to find a volunteer developer" these days. ToriOS was about to die or go idle until one of the members of our community decided to learn programming and step in. I'm forever thankful for him because that what made us so close to release Beta soon.

(4) Is there anything I/we could do to help? I know many people because I've been around for nearly 5 years now and in case anyone here needs any help, I/we won't be late.

It is worth mentioning that we want out Beta release to be 0.5 version and it is for users + testers. We trust ourselves and we know that it would be as stable as rock. Well, that is what our testing is saying.

I am not sure if #! as a project has reached EOL or not yet? I have no idea ... I'd appreciate if someone could enlighten me about that. But I am sure the demand of such minimal and lightweight system will carry on and won't stop just yet.

I am sorry for the long post but I'm here offering full help and support and at the same time, seeking help/support whenever needed.

Once more, thank you so much for all your hard work and good luck with your next step smile

Thank you!

My Website: http://amjjawad.net
My Wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad
Current Projects: Kibo, ToriOS and Ubuntu GNOME
Member of GNOME Foundation and Ubuntu

#223 2015-02-08 06:57:50

kelean
#! CrunchBanger

Corenominal thank you so much for the work you put into CrunchBang.  It was one of thee only distros I could count on to work on my odd ball hardware.  I really enjoyed using CB and showing it off to my friends.

It is going to be sad to see CB go but all good things do end eventually.

Good luck on whats to come for you and your family.

Thank you!

#224 2015-02-08 08:22:37

HELPME
#! Junkie
Website

amjjawad wrote:

I tend to disagree with you. There are so many users out there with old machines. Most of them are poor to the point they can't buy new machines nor even upgrade their old ones. There are everywhere in this world.
Also, there are many users who appreciate and like minimal/lightweight systems even though they have better machines. I should know because I have been working and dealing side by side with those for years smile

Thus, I'm approaching you and this kind and nice community that you formed around Crunchbang and share with you the progress of one of my projects, that is ToriOS:

http://torios.net/

ToriOS, while it is build based on Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS, we simply challenge all the systems that are based on Ubuntu to show figures like we currently have. It is unbeatable when it comes to how fast and easy to install as NONE of the systems AFAIK is using the installer we're using with ToriOS. So far, we're close to Beta and our tests show 60MB of RAM (less or more) when idle.

tiny slitaz only uses 8mb
tiny core linux uses as low as 9mb

Last edited by HELPME (2015-02-08 08:24:31)

Be excellent to each other!

#225 2015-02-08 08:24:35

seraphtrend
#! CrunchBanger

8.(  .....
I just want to say that im so deeply sad about what im reading that i have held my head in my hands for nearly ten minutes.
Sir, you have to know that this project is bigger than anything you might be considering to endeavor.  Crunchbang has so much potential that I have successfully introduced new users to Linux via your awesome distro and this amazing community. Your distro has brought computers to many upon many children elderly and students who have brought me old new and virus infected computers without the money to purchase new machines. Now they have a logical, slick, modern computer and the help of an amazing community to back them up in their computing needs. I had a vision for this OS that hanged on it's survival.
Im heartbroken to read the headlines, but at the same time i'm wishing you the best with your new path and any projects you pursue, im sure they will be either as good or better. But I will say this with all honesty...
I fail to see how you will touch so many people as you have already, I fail to see how something with so much potential could be abandoned, I fail to see WHY you don't have the hopes we all have for a great project like this one. I mean, what you have built here is a massive undertaking and a huge success.
I am grateful for all of this that you have created here, I am grateful to this amazing community. Rethink this and remember all that you have done that has touched so many.
You ROCK Sir!

Board footer