SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#651 2015-06-28 21:29:20

News Plus
#! Member

Re: The end.

Colossal_Crunch wrote:

How can someone possibly get away with using someone elses name? What is keeping someone from promoting spyware as "Debian 8"?

Sourceforge Hijacks Accounts   sad

Be excellent to each other!

#652 2015-06-28 21:34:56

jonboy

I haven't got much of a clue how things work in the owning a distro side of things, but couldn't corenominal hand over his work to a trusted group of people. I know this would be like nasa giving all the spaceships to the russians, but better than them going rusty ^^ Mind you i dont think i could see my baby go.

On the other side of things, people making distros, isn't it just a load of packages coming from a source. Like if i was to start with a debian and set that up how i wanted it to be than say i have a distro, i guess there is more to it than that.

I would try any distro as lng as it's gone through distrowatch ^^

#653 2015-06-28 21:47:50

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

jonboy wrote:

if i was to start with a debian and set that up how i wanted it to be than say i have a distro, i guess there is more to it than that

Not really...

And that's why I stay as far upstream as possible smile

#654 2015-06-28 21:49:49

jonboy

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
jonboy wrote:

if i was to start with a debian and set that up how i wanted it to be than say i have a distro, i guess there is more to it than that

Not really...

And that's why I stay as far upstream as possible smile

What do you mean, upstream?

#655 2015-06-28 21:55:23

porkpiehat
#! Die Hard

^ http://superuser.com/questions/269942/what-is-upstream

Some distros take software directly from the origin ("upstream"), with very little (or no) modification. Other distros add their own patches for various reasons, and may or may not send the patches back to the original maintainer.

Last edited by porkpiehat (2015-06-28 21:56:23)

#656 2015-06-28 21:56:01

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

jonboy wrote:

As close to the package developer's releases as possible.

In practical terms: Arch is my main system and I have Debian (sid & jessie) 'cos I love the principles and politics of the project (although Debian does patch quite heavily; Arch doesn't patch at all unless absolutely necessary).

I don't really like derived distributions because they add layers of abstraction and patches.

#657 2015-06-28 22:09:32

jonboy

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
jonboy wrote:

As close to the package developer's releases as possible.

In practical terms: Arch is my main system and I have Debian (sid & jessie) 'cos I love the principles and politics of the project (although Debian does patch quite heavily; Arch doesn't patch at all unless absolutely necessary).

I don't really like derived distributions because they add layers of abstraction and patches.

So like arch bang might be the next best thing?

Last edited by jonboy (2015-06-28 22:09:51)

#658 2015-06-28 22:11:28

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

jonboy wrote:

So like arch bang might be the nest best thing?

No, not at all.

Rolling release distributions are entirely different from traditional fixed releases such as Debian Stable.

Debian Stable is (IMO) the best solution for mission-critical application.

Arch is for fun, jessie is for work wink

EDIT: Let me put it this way: I use Arch, Mrs. Head_on_a_Stick uses Debian jessie.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2015-06-28 22:12:38)

#659 2015-06-28 22:16:33

damo
#! gimpbanger

colorpixel wrote:

I'm confused -> BunsenLabs.iso ready for download?
Did i miss something?  yikes

It is outrageous! I've submitted an abuse report on Sourceforge, although what good that will do is debatable.

Makes me feel better though!

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#660 2015-06-29 13:38:56

snowpine
#!-a-roo

**Group Hug**

Last edited by snowpine (2016-07-15 18:59:36)

/hugged

#661 2015-06-29 14:28:58

LabRat
#! CrunchBanger

snowpine wrote:

It is basically #! with a white-on-white color theme

Ohhhh, I've always loved those high contrast themes.   tongue

Peace

#662 2015-06-29 17:25:58

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

snowpine wrote:

I am hard at work on my own SnowyBangPine Linux.

SBP Linux - sounds good!

Wouldn't it be better with "FFFAFA #255 250 250 Snow" on "FFFAFA #255 250 250 Snow" rather than "white" ?

You could make a "SnowySmokeBangPine" that comes in "F5F5F5 #245 245 245 WhiteSmoke" on "F5F5F5 #245 245 245 WhiteSmoke" based in SID  SSBP for short big_smile

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#663 2015-06-29 22:07:33

vic
#! by Default

^Can I have it transparent by default please  smile

Time to move on!#

#664 2015-06-29 23:18:50

spacex
ew
Website

snowpine wrote:
jonboy wrote:

I haven't got much of a clue how things work in the owning a distro side of things, but couldn't corenominal hand over his work to a trusted group of people.

He offered it to me, but I declined since I am hard at work on my own SnowyBangPine Linux. It is basically #! with a white-on-white color theme. Who's coming with me?!?

lol Pretty funny. But it's kind of true, except the white-on white part. We are a lot of people creating very simmular things, all heavily influenced by CrunchBang, and it doesn't seem that any of is able to get rid of the Crunch. The #! pipemenus are pretty much the default for all of us, whether it's Bunsen, Wally, #1++, Monara, TweakOS or something else, and we all pretty much use that same apps, and the same Tint2 bar. I separate myself a little from the rest by moving away from the grey and into the colors. But if I dropped in the #! default-tile, the waldorf-theme and the CrunchBang icons, my release would look the same as all the others.

Corenominal has made it difficult for us. It's pretty hard to come up with a openbox-concept that is better. Why would anyone that have tried CrunchBang create a different kind of menu or structure it differently. Everything is pretty much optimal. If you develop a distro away from the kind of UI and functionality that Corenominal has introduced and implemented pretty much as a standard, then you most likely are going to make it worse no matter what you do. So we all end up with pretty much the same, with wallpapers and themes to separate us....

In that way, we all make each other redundant, and while there are a need for Debian-derivatives that offer a functional openbox-setup, there aren't a need for so many of us. But at least one distro is needed, because if I took out my configs from the live build, and just made a build with whatever defaults and configs that you get from Debian vanilla, it would look like sh.., and have little or no functionality at all. So we are needed because Debian doesn't come with a decent openbox-configuration and setup.

However, if Bunsen gets their DE into Debian, then all of us pretty much can stop what we are doing, and launch our distros as theme-suites instead.  A single Deb-file with some icon, themes and backgounds... lol

Regards,
spacex/ew
http://tweaklinux.org

#665 2015-06-30 03:22:53

Anaconda
crypto-anarchist

spacex wrote:

However, if Bunsen gets their DE into Debian, then all of us pretty much can stop what we are doing, and launch our distros as theme-suites instead.

Bunsen DE, kind of like what LXDE did with Openbox but CrunchBang style. That's where I see this leading to so far.

“The university is well structured, well tooled, to turn out people with all the sharp edges worn off...." Mario Savio
"Protections for anonymous speech are vital to democratic discourse". Help enforce our right to free and anonymous speech by taking the Tor challenge.

#666 2015-06-30 12:53:04

News Plus
#! Member

#667 2015-06-30 22:58:11

spacex
ew
Website

Anaconda wrote:
spacex wrote:

However, if Bunsen gets their DE into Debian, then all of us pretty much can stop what we are doing, and launch our distros as theme-suites instead.

Bunsen DE, kind of like what LXDE did with Openbox but CrunchBang style. That's where I see this leading to so far.

Yes, me too. But I wonder if the Bunsen-team has thought about the fact that if this is achived, then "Hydrogen" is going to be redundant. No need for Bunsen to create a live-iso if the Bunsen-DE is included as a option in all the installation medias from Debian itself. So you can say that if they do succeed, there are no longer any use for the Bunsen-team, besides working to maintain and develop the DE for Debian.

Then they have pretty much painting themselves into a corner where they have to become devs and maintainers for Debian, with all the obligations that comes with a role like that smile

Regards,
spacex/ew

#668 2015-07-01 08:46:10

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
Website

"Bunsen DE, Bunsen DE, Bunsen DE". As far I can say, there is no 'DE' in Bunsen, and I don't think they (devs) plan to make a DE. (At least I hope so.)

Redundancy? It has been said it before here, but I will nevertheless say it once more: a linux distro is not only about downloadable iso, or dev team. It is about community as well (in particular, its educational/knowledge value!). I would say that even #! success was half about distro, and half about excellent #! forum. IMHO.

So, as I see it, #! legacy was - at the end - this #! forum, and Corenominal left it to BunsenLabs dev team. Meaning, BunsenLabs has been given chance to continue on this legacy. (And this is why I consider BunsenLabs as a successor of the #!, in broader terms. Not CB++ or Monara or whatever.)

As for #! i.e. BunsenLabs forum ... I don't use #! any more, I don't even intend to use BunsenLabs on my production machine. But there will be always one BunsenLabs in my VirtualBox, or on older laptops (or for my kids, or as recommendation for friends' computers) ... and I will always try to be of help to other forum users, as my knowledge and free time permits.

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..
--> The very new BL forum! <--

#669 2015-07-01 09:32:04

News Plus
#! Member

iMBeCil wrote:

I don't even intend to use BunsenLabs on my production machine.

I read it on this site over and over again. What's wrong?

#670 2015-07-01 09:51:22

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
Website

^Nothing's wrong. Thanks to #! and BunsenLabs I learned (and I'm still learning) so much about linux and debian that now I am able to start with minimal Debian netinstall and add stuff I want myself (like PekWM instead of OpenBox, urxt instead of terminator ...).

In a sense, #! and/or BunsenLabs are at the moment too bloated for my needs. Otherwise, I find BunsenLabs excellent intermediate level distro. Or: BunsenLabs - a distro for people who use Ubuntu/Mint, but want to know more about linux, and want to be able to actually tune system to their liking.

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..
--> The very new BL forum! <--

#671 2015-07-01 11:29:12

intoCB
Scatweasel

@spacex - Well, making itself redundant would be a good thing for BL if it meant it got a "DE" like #! into Debian.

#672 2015-07-01 15:34:11

hhh
Cityspeak

News Plus wrote:

What's wrong?

You are. Take your caustic, non-productive nagging elsewhere, please.

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

#673 2015-07-01 15:45:12

spacex
ew
Website

intoCB wrote:

@spacex - Well, making itself redundant would be a good thing for BL if it meant it got a "DE" like #! into Debian.

Yes, correct. It would be a very good thing. Provided that the team want to devote and obligate themselves to do that for Debian. Because, then it is no longer just for fun. Then they have to deliver, and then there is deadlines and stuff. At this point they can do it in their own pace, but after it's been accepted as a DE in Debian, then it's no longer the team that decides the pace and how much work they want to put into this. They will need to meet the deadlines.

So I' would love for this to happen. But I'm unsure whether they have thought it fully trough. They will be obligating at a lot of their time to Debian... It's wonderful if they want to, but not if they paint themselves into a corner where they are forced to do it, without actually wanting a role like that.

Regards,
spacex/ew

#674 2015-07-01 15:53:09

hhh
Cityspeak

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. … 93#p433393

With our own repository, we could offer an easy-to-install openbox suite that would not be restricted by the overly bureaucratic Debian policies. The paint could dry without our footprints on it.

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

Be excellent to each other!

#675 2015-07-01 16:09:51

intoCB
Scatweasel

Bah. Join Debian. It will make some men out of you.

Board footer