SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#301 2015-02-09 21:37:09

fredbird67
#! Junkie

Re: The end.

Wow...so sorry to see Crunchbang ride off into the sunset. sad I'll never forget the Statler Xfce version, which I absolutely LOVED and had on my computer for over a year.  I remember I customized the heck out of that thing and had quite a good thing going with it.  Phil, I want to wish you the best in your future endeavors.  I'll be finding a Crunchbang wallpaper online and a gray icon theme to pay tribute to such a great lightweight distro.  Phil, I wish you all the best, dude.

Fred in St. Louis

Just who is General Failure and what's he doing reading my hard drive?

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#302 2015-02-09 22:25:41

jordi

Muchas gracias  y mi mayor reconocimiento.
Hasta siempre CRUNCHBANG.

#303 2015-02-09 23:08:40

dbvolvox
#! CrunchBanger

Thank you Philip and all the best as you move on to pastures new. However, there is a very important aspect in which this is not the end. (apart from the fact that many of us will go on and on using it)

That is the Crunchbang that you created exists and will continue to exist and be revered because it is one of those rare things a "DESIGN CLASSIC".

The qualities of this distro espoused in so many of the 300 posts before mine attest to that.  It will always be a touchstone, a benchmark for elegance, simplicity and functionality that others will try to equal and I hope strive to surpass.

Thank you again,  David

#304 2015-02-10 00:02:14

AnInkedSoul
#! CrunchBanger

dbvolvox wrote:

It will always be a touchstone, a benchmark for elegance, simplicity and functionality that others will try to equal and I hope strive to surpass.

ehhh....ummm.....a bit over the top in my opinion but to each his own....

#305 2015-02-10 01:38:06

seppalta
#! Member
Website

I agree with Corenominal that the Crunchbang distrubution is no longer that important in the crunch of Linux Distros. However, Crunchbang is more than just a distro.  It is a community and a forum, perhaps the best current Linux forum.    I use a variety of Openbox distros, and the Crunchbang Forum is the first place that I search for information. Many distro forums go days without a post, and the Lxde Forum is essentially dead.   Some only entertain questions related to their distribution, at least that is the way it appears in practice.  I hope there will be at least an attempt to keep this forum alive, perhaps somehow in an expanded form   How about "THE LINUX CRUNCHBANG FORUM" for all lightweight Linux operating systems?

#306 2015-02-10 02:06:17

spacex
ew
Website

blackjack wrote:

As majority of what i read here seems to thank and respect what corenominal has decided, me im not! IM VERY ANGRY how the distro went, and i really dont feel it deserved to be halted after so many great things happened with it. Maybe im just angry coz its my first time using Linux coming from windows and i fell in love with this distro. I researched and found this distro, and now its retiring. I really hate it. I dont know. i still hope though that Corenominal changes his mind. Its not yet too late.

Theres are many people still in need to discover the power of this distro. My friends are also in shock as to how this distro went, i really hope someone will continue it if not Corenominal comes back realizing this is the best project he ever had.

Yes, it's sad. But he lost his motivation and drive a long time ago, and it does actually require a lot of dedication and sacrifize to run a distro like this, without making any money at all at it. Corenominal has shared his work and dedication for free for many years, and we can't demand that he should do it forever. No reason to be pissed. People have to decide themselves what to do with their spare time, and that applies to Corenominal also.

As a recommendation for you to go forward from here, I would suggest that you try Lubuntu or Debian LXDE. It let's you login to a openbox-session, and it is just a few config-files that are needed to make it look and feel like Crunchbang. This community will continue to be, at least for a while, and I'm sure that you will be able to get help no matter what direction you take from here.

But no rush. If you upgrade Waldorf to Jessie, or pick this image which is already upgraded, then Crunchbang should last as long as Jessie exists...https://www.dropbox.com/sh/77scm69d7er9 … 65-va?dl=0

Last edited by spacex (2015-02-10 02:12:24)

Regards,
spacex/ew
http://tweaklinux.org

#307 2015-02-10 03:06:28

MsMattie
#! Member

Crunchbang is where Linux began for me...

Linux in the backwoods of the Rocky Mountains...

#308 2015-02-10 03:44:09

OldYogi

All the praise, of Philip  of the distro, and of the quality of the forum, is well-deserved.  Now What?   

Perhaps it would be useful to get a clear list of what we will all miss.  I, for one, have it running on 5 old laptops - starting with an ancient Pentium M, two old ThinkPads T41 and T43, and two old Dell machines  - one whose screen I replaced, and the other specially set-up for my 9 year old grandchildren.

For me the essentials have been simplicity, a small footprint, easy and total customization, speed, no needless extras.   I've looked at Manjaro, and at Lubuntu -- but I'll be happy to stay here as long as I can.

#309 2015-02-10 03:48:29

arinlares

Thank you, corenominal, for the great distro.  I didn't use it after the Debian switch (not anything wrong with the distro, my preferences just shifted), but it got me to jump into using Openbox, which I am eternally grateful for.

#310 2015-02-10 05:00:35

Nebucatnetzer
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Thanks a ton for your work.
I certainly learned a lot from Crunchbang and it's community.
And even though I stopped using Crunchbang a while ago I still came to visit the forums and I always used some of your scripts.
I wish you a good time and hope to see you around.

#311 2015-02-10 07:17:51

blackjack

Can someone suggest  distro that came near close as crunchbang did? I want a light weight distro and simple one too. Any ideas? Or can i just keep this one coz i think crunchbang is immortal in some sense..

#312 2015-02-10 07:35:24

0day
#! CrunchBanger

A link For download #! jessie 32 bit & 64 bit?

Last edited by 0day (2015-02-10 07:35:58)

#313 2015-02-10 07:36:59

olegabrielz
#! Junkie

[off_topic]
@blackjack: Like snowpine wrote in answer to your earlier post:

snowpine wrote:

I also see from your post history that you have the skills to add sid/unstable repositories to your software sources, so you could very easily just keep on using #! as a rolling-release for years to come, instead of getting angry.

And take a look at some of the other active threads in this forum. You would probably find your answer there smile
[/off_topic]

#314 2015-02-10 07:44:04

superwow
#! Member

@Corenominal, thanks for sharing your iconic configuration of linux. Thanks for helping out the community, especially in the early days. It fostered the best Linux forum ever. I admit that when I borked my #! system, and it wouldn't reinstall, I again started to distrohop, which was kinda good for me since I could not install #! at work, but could install Debian. Your vision and the community you started helped me understand how to configure everything about linux. After a while, it becomes second nature. Which helps me maintain my Debian computational cluster at work.

I appreciate all you have done for the #! community, and also, for linux in general.

Thanks @bobobex for chiming in on the communities, and also for letting us have Philip for a bit!

But both of you, don't be strangers, stick around!! We benefit from you being here.

#315 2015-02-10 10:22:31

blackjack

Actually snowpine, im not angry about the changes. I know there is no changes. And thats the reason i am angry, #! will stay like this forever and i was hoping that he would create The janice version of this so as to see a change. And now it will be like "you can do it w/ your own" if you want to upgrade to jessie (which should be Janice). But i really wanted to see crunchbang atleast to see Janice version before he gone away.

#316 2015-02-10 10:45:29

intoCB
Scatweasel

#317 2015-02-10 12:09:04

Zill
#! CrunchBanger

porkpiehat wrote:

IMO, it's like this. Someone gives you free soup. They collect all the ingredients, cook the soup, and then give it to you for free (crunchbang). Then one day they decide they don't feel like cooking soup anymore, and even tell you where you can get other free soup (Debian). But they will still give you bowls and spoons and a place to eat your soup, and people to show you how to season it (the forum). Is it appropriate to be angry? Not in my opinion -- the appropriate response is "thank you for the free soup, and good luck with your next project."

+1
An excellent analogy! smile

#318 2015-02-10 12:58:59

spacex
ew
Website

seppalta wrote:

I agree with Corenominal that the Crunchbang distrubution is no longer that important in the crunch of Linux Distros. However, Crunchbang is more than just a distro.  It is a community and a forum, perhaps the best current Linux forum.    I use a variety of Openbox distros, and the Crunchbang Forum is the first place that I search for information. Many distro forums go days without a post, and the Lxde Forum is essentially dead.   Some only entertain questions related to their distribution, at least that is the way it appears in practice.  I hope there will be at least an attempt to keep this forum alive, perhaps somehow in an expanded form   How about "THE LINUX CRUNCHBANG FORUM" for all lightweight Linux operating systems?

I agree with you 100%. Great suggestion. That would be the very best use of this community, and it is a form of use that should sit well with Corenominal. Much better than letting any group or individual acessing control over this community to use it for his/her or their "new project/s".

+100 Because a community like this, is something that will become more and more important.

Regards,
spacex/ew

#319 2015-02-10 13:04:42

uke-eda

Crunchbang actually was the one distribution I expectantly waited for to release a new image. With a new exciting Openbox theme perhaps, new scripts to explore, ... I'm quite disappointed that didn't happen but naturally understand the reasons Corenominal mentioned.

Looking back I think Crunchbang accompanied me for about 6 years. Can that be? I definitely will miss it!

Wish you the best Corenominal, thank you very much for your efforts! Still somehow hope, the distro won't die ...

#320 2015-02-10 13:09:23

spacex
ew
Website

blackjack wrote:

Can someone suggest  distro that came near close as crunchbang did? I want a light weight distro and simple one too. Any ideas? Or can i just keep this one coz i think crunchbang is immortal in some sense..

What is immortal, is the uniqe and well-configured openbox-menu with all the pipemenus and useful scripts. That's what I take with me from Crunchbang. Then, I adjust it to suit whatever apps I'm using in the distro I find myself in. As long as it is openbox, it doesn't matter. I can use the menu.xml as a template for any new menus, the tint2rc and whatever else I feel is uniqe with #!.

So could you. This is Debian8 LXDE. Besides the wallpaper and colors, it isn't all that different from Crunchbang, is it?

2015-02-10--14235329041366x768scrot.png

Regards,
spacex/ew

#321 2015-02-10 13:09:53

vic
#! by Default

^^^Yes agreed.

Last edited by vic (2015-02-10 13:10:17)

Time to move on!#

#322 2015-02-10 13:56:56

Hickory

Corenominal
I have been using linux for years, i tried literally every distro before i settled on Crunchbang. It was by far the most mature, refined and the most satisfying OS.  The #! community is wonderful, always helpful.
It is a sad day for me that development has come to an end.  Thank You.

#323 2015-02-10 14:19:29

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

I want to thank Philip for having created Crunchbang and this forums on which I met those people I regard as my friends and brothers. A well-deserved rest, and not "The End", I'm pretty sure.

Sweaty lads picking up the soap | I love the new "Ignore user" button

#324 2015-02-10 14:19:40

altman
#! Member

spacex wrote:
blackjack wrote:

What is immortal, is the uniqe and well-configured openbox-menu with all the pipemenus and useful scripts. That's what I take with me from Crunchbang. Then, I adjust it to suit whatever apps I'm using in the distro I find myself in. As long as it is openbox, it doesn't matter. I can use the menu.xml as a template for any new menus, the tint2rc and whatever else I feel is uniqe with #!.

So could you. This is Debian8 LXDE. Besides the wallpaper and colors, it isn't all that different from Crunchbang, is it?

http://www.zimagez.com/miniature/2015-02-10--14235329041366x768scrot.png

Looks great spacex , that s a great idea .

HP Pavilion DV7-Notebook Intel i7-2670QM #/Jessie

Be excellent to each other!

#325 2015-02-10 15:11:27

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

blackjack wrote:

Try Slackel Openbox, based on Slackware and Salix and the Salix live scripts. Can be easily tweaked to look just like #!. Nitrogen is missing in the latest version 6.0.2 although it is in the menu. Just need to install it from the repo. Replace the grub and login themes and you're good.

From ArchBang to SlackBang | Project SlackBang

Say no to bugs. - It's not a bug, it's a worm.

Board footer