SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-05 11:31:46

saneks
#! Die Hard

My Computers have been stolen

well, 2 laptops have been stolen from my room yesterday.
as a designer, this is pretty devastating.

any ideas what to do?
changed passwords, went to the bank, will go to the cops now.
any more ideas what steps to take?

I dont have cash to buy a new one, which sucks hard.

karma will get this thief.

this is what was stolen from me:

black acer travelmate 5740 with 250gb hd (instead of factory 500), dual core 4gb ram, microphone   and usb ports on the right side are disabled, little nick top-left on the screen casing.

the other one is a HP with a floral pattern on the screen lid. black keyboard, silver siding around it, 3gb ram, 500mb hdd

both stolen in germany on 4.feb 2015.

Last edited by saneks (2015-02-05 15:57:37)

eee701 user & other lap/desktops

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2015-02-05 11:45:49

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

Re: My Computers have been stolen

sad  so sad ....

No advice, just feel sad with you.

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#3 2015-02-05 12:17:52

damo
#! gimpbanger

Sad to hear sad

Insurance? Data OK?

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#4 2015-02-05 12:40:39

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
Website

sad  sad  sad

I can only imagine what complication you are in now ... Hope you at least have backup of important work ...

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..
--> The very new BL forum! <--

#5 2015-02-05 12:50:39

dot|not
#! Junkie

And that's why I encrypt all my hard disks. So a potential thief can go eat a bag of dicks.

Do you have the serial numbers written down somewhere? In some countries there is a centralized database where pawnbrokers and money lenders can see if the thing they are about to buy is stolen.

#6 2015-02-05 14:32:19

olegabrielz
#! Junkie

I'm really sorry to hear about your computers  sad  Hopefully karma vill strike down upon him/her/them!!

#7 2015-02-05 15:04:28

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

saneks wrote:

any more ideas what steps to take?

First, I'm so sorry to hear about your deal.

Secondly, start checking Craigslist, eBay, etc. for your laptop models.  You can use a service like SearchTempest to search more than one locale at a time.  Also pay a visit to any pawn shops in your areas.  Most often, it's stolen by a junkie just trying to make some easy cash.  They may not even try booting the computers.

Although chances aren't great, I hope you get your stuff back.

#8 2015-02-05 15:05:52

vic
#! by Default

That sucks! Let us hope that the thief/s get really #!ed!!!!! In a really really baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad way!

Time to move on!#

#9 2015-02-05 15:33:42

saneks
#! Die Hard

well, went to the cops.. had even evidence he must have touched (powerplug and the mouse he left me and a bag with cds) - they didnt care so much. the first police station I went, the cop just showed me his schedule and told me to come back on monday... went to another station and spent 2 hrs there.
so I also missed my bus to berlin to meet friends there.

yeah, did not encrypt, but have had password at least. junkie for sure, met a shady guy two days before in our garden. sure it was him. 2 minutes for him, so he can buy some drugs for a week - and months of saving for me. this was my working equipment. I am pretty much in trouble without it.

no insurance. poor artist.

it was stolen while I was in our community room meters away, doing free work, printing bags for benefit for our local underground-music-venue.

Last edited by saneks (2015-02-05 15:45:28)

#10 2015-02-05 16:20:36

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

My condolences.
Aside from the usual stuff which you've already done, try to remember what you have stored on it and whether any of the info could potentially compromise the privacy/safety of anyone you've communicated with (loved ones, clients, etc).  If so, it's best to contact associated parties informing them of the theft. Highly unlikely since most thieves just look to sell it off, but you can never be too sure.

Point & Squirt

#11 2015-02-05 17:44:32

saneks
#! Die Hard

yes, thought about that too, but there is no ciritical information. emails are all on webserver, and I changed all passwords for email, ebay as the very first step and informed my bank that someone might have my account number(not the pin ofcourse), CV etc.. I will check the local pawn shops as well. we have quite a few in this part of town. they are also the place to go if your bike was stolen.

I guess the thief was just a junkie who does not care bout my data, but you never know what the people can do who buy the stuff.

#12 2015-02-05 18:01:23

pingu
#! Junkie

That's horrible.
Good luck with your search.

"We don't merge kernel code just because user space was written by a retarded monkey on crack."
Linus f****g Trovalds

#13 2015-02-05 18:28:28

pvsage
Internal Affairs

It took me some time to deal with the theft of my Mini about a year and a half ago, and that was hardly a "production machine"; I can hardly imagine how hard this is for you, saneks.  My heart goes out to you.

I wish you luck in finding your stolen hardware, but chances are it's already "in the wind".

#14 2015-02-05 19:33:25

twoion

As a resident German myself, I am quite surprised that something like this happened -- I hope that you are going to find ways to harden your place, since those asocial individuals might actually come back to you sad

And please, heed dot|not's advice about using full disk encryption in the future!

Tannhäuser ~ {www,pkg,ddl}.bunsenlabs.org/{gitlog,repoidx}

#15 2015-02-05 19:53:35

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

Pawn brokers in the US would require all passwords to enter the machine before they would pawn a laptop.

I had to pawn some nice equipment last year due to massive financial difficulties and they required passwords plus the ability to reset the machine to factory before they would pawn it. Not sure tour average lawn broker would have the ability to deal with a Linux machine though. Perhaps if the thief got lucky.

Sorry to hear about this. I can tolerate all sorts of behavior but I can't stand a thief.

#16 2015-02-05 21:36:54

burritomike
#! Member

Sorry to hear your stuff got jacked, man hmm

If you feel like going to the trouble/expense of organizing shipping from California I have an HP Pavillion DV6000 I can box up and send you, free. Battery is shot so if you can live tied to an outlet then it works fine...

Lazy harp seal has no job. Lazy harp seal has no money.

#17 2015-02-06 11:40:49

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Man that f'ing sucks. People who steal from good people who can't afford to lose the stuff they take are lower than maggot chit fellow nixer. You mention you have a suspect, assuming you don't have his name ( or can't get it) and no poss of his present whereabouts ?

Am not a cop caller, someone fecks me, tend to believe in handling my own bizness/problems. Though if you do have the above info wouldn't fault you for taking that and adding it to whatever police report you've got going. Maybe they would check them out, find out their a fricken lowlife and then have enough reason to raid da bastard or question them ? Might also, depending upon personal things, confront said azzhat and ask them about it. There are signs and tells of deception when someone is lying. Even good/chronic liars can give themselves away. With eye movements or other body language.

I don't want to advise ( and can't/won't be held responsible for anything that may happen.) if you did decide to do something on your own. Sighs .. dammit, not that I'm saying walk up and put a blade 2 said azzhats throat (edit: Or if ya have some buddies w what most folks would consider a seriously mal-adjusted appetite for violence, if so ya might invite them along to any personal confrontation. ) Either way ... am sure you'll make a mental note on the matter and be better prepared for this bs in future. It's also true about folks having a weird tendency to "return to the scene of the crime." So no kidding keep that in mind. Maybe put up a hidden cam somewhere in your room or whatever. At least be aware of this kinda thing.

This also doesn't help, cause you wouldn't be asking if you had such things in place. Know there are low-jack type apps a person can install on pc's and smartphones that will call home when on the web or allow for remote activation of same for recovery purposes in case of loss or theft. Just a maybe keep in mind for newer equipment you get.

Setting a dang UEFI firmware password, just as a fek U 2 any thieves. Supposed to make it difficult on people to use/sell said equipment. Who's going to buy a computer that won't bootup ? Though a thief would just throw stuff in the trash. Even heard of android apps ( and assume the same is avail on comps) w a camera, that will take a picture every so often and email it to a pre-selected addy. That would be funny, smile fektard, you're on candid camera.

Sheesh more babble, perhaps offer a reward, flyers + craigslist kinda deal and conduct a lil investigation on your own, if you have the time and are inclined. Ask some people in the immediate area if they saw any azzhats etc. Someone else mentioned looking in local pawnshops or asking the owners ? If you did happen to see your equip, would think they'd have record of who they bought it from and @ least here in the craptastic states of america, they'd have to give your stolen stuff back free of charge.

Sorry fellow nixer, most this stupe babble probably doesn't help or make you feel any better. Chit might help in future. Hope said offending azzhat(s) doink turns green and falls off. If you have anything by way of credit ( ie: Credit cards etc etc.) Could/may be able to get something on credit w/o having to come up with a lump of cash ? Also since you've acquired some nixy knowledge. Nothing wrong w buying used maybe ? Cheaper and a nixer could/should be able to bring old hardware back from the dead.

Alright ... hope things workout well w this situation Saneks. Vll!

Edit: Thought of one last thing. Folks would be surprised what people will post on social networks, ie: Facebook or whatever is in Germany atm. Again "if" you can get access to said fektards user info or view any accts they have. May see chithead talking about the new comps they just got ahold of. Feckers !

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2015-02-06 11:49:20)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#18 2015-02-06 16:39:56

saneks
#! Die Hard

^ I live in a bigger city and do not know each shady person around and have no interested in investigating and meeting them.. that is the job of the police. I gave them a good description of the guy I saw two days before.

luckily my friends have no unusual appetite for violence and I am not flicking blades at anyone, cause this might get me or my friends in serious trouble.. I call that normal civilized behavior. - the thief is outside of that sphere, but I am not gonna follow him there.

but thanks anyway for your kind babble and the rest of advice. wink my next computer is gonna be encrypted, and I will certainly install something to locate it incase I might lose it somehow.

thank you all for your support. this really made me feel confident and strong and put a smile on my face. after my private space was violated, this is something very important.

you are great people!

Last edited by saneks (2015-02-06 17:11:53)

#19 2015-02-06 18:46:21

PackRat
#! Die Hard

it was stolen while I was in our community room meters away, doing free work, printing bags for benefit for our local underground-music-venue.

This in an apartment complex or similar? They happen to have some security cameras around or at the various entrances? I would think someone walking out with two laptops under their arm is not a daily occurrence.

"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce tribe

Board footer