SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-26 01:30:06

payasam

Hello

Hello, friends. I am Mukul Dube, a 64-year-old man in India. Google will tell you that I write and take photographs. I have been on Debian for some years, and before that was on Mandrake, PCLinuxOS and Linspire. Am always attracted to simplicity and minimal use of resources.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2014-11-26 01:48:30

TicTac
#! Junkie

Re: Hello

Hi Mukul Dube and welcome to #!

You've come to the right place and found a great distribution to enjoy working upon your compositions and photography.

CrunchBang is simple and minimal but also powerful, efficient and productive.  smile

"Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."   

The Dude.

#3 2014-11-26 01:56:44

payasam

Thank you, TicTac. Will you please confirm that I can preserve my /home partition when I install Crunchbang. That will save me the trouble of copying data back from the external drive I use as a back-up.

#4 2014-11-26 02:33:52

TicTac
#! Junkie

payasam wrote:

Thank you, TicTac. Will you please confirm that I can preserve my /home partition when I install Crunchbang. That will save me the trouble of copying data back from the external drive I use as a back-up.

Short answer is yes.

See here: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=317194

Note; I have never done so and always install my system upon a single partiton then, use a "share" partition to keep a backup of /home... No reason other than habit.

If you choose to do so, I would absolutely make certain of backing up your essential media within the /home partition you wish to save and do so OFF the drive you're installing to. You'll obviously need to enter the installer's partiton editor to ensure it won't be over written during the new install.

EDIT; Upon further thought payasam, I believe it prudent to wait until another who does install to multiple partitons, has a chance to answer your question with more confidence than I.

Last edited by TicTac (2014-11-26 02:38:16)

"Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."   

The Dude.

#5 2014-11-26 03:50:31

payasam

Thank you. I have installed Debian several times formatting only / and /swap and leaving /home alone. My guess is that the CB installer will be the same or similar.

#6 2014-11-26 04:10:29

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Hello Mukul - we're the same age, and I've made payasam! An Indian sweet, right? smile

I've installed Crunchbang (and Debian) before, keeping a separate 'data' partition (mounted on /data) and it worked fine. As long as you take TicTac's advice and make sure you have a backup of your data on some separate drive, then installing with a pre-existing 'home' partition mounted on /home should be OK.

The only tricky point with a /home already containing data is that the CrunchBang installer will copy a lot of configuration files over from /etc/skel to /home/yourusername and if you already have any files there with the same name then they will be preserved, and the default CrunchBang settings will not be copied over for that file.

After the install you might have to compare your local files with those in /etc/skel and adjust some settings to get the standard CrunchBang setup. Alternatively, move or rename your local config files before the installation, so that the new CrunchBang ones can get installed, then afterwards check if you want to restore any of your personal settings.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#7 2014-11-26 06:26:46

payasam

Thank you, John. I'm in the process of tidying up my installation and getting things I need. The location /etc/skel is not one I have met before, but I have jotted down your advice and shall do whatever is needed.

#8 2014-11-26 06:58:38

johnraff
nullglob
Website

/etc/skel usually contains only 2 or 3 files like .profile or .bashrc to be copied into the home directories of newly-created users. However, Crunchbang puts all the default user settings there.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#9 2014-11-28 22:53:16

payasam

Thank you, John. Other than a couple of annoying but harmless error messages, I'm doing all right.

#10 2014-11-28 23:14:11

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Hello, payasam, and welcome to #! - you should also know that you're eligible for this:

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8503

Happy CrunchBanging!

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#11 2014-11-28 23:27:09

payasam

Just the kind of welcome I like. Thank you.

Board footer