SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-25 16:53:48

linuxreign
#! Junkie

Janice?

Is it Janice ready for a test spin? if so, where can I get it?

Thx

LR

Linux Registered User 445731

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2014-11-25 17:04:05

sleeveroller
Website

Re: Janice?

Not that I'm aware off. Keep an eye on the "News & Announcements" section. I'd expect to see some action there if / when Janice is ready to be tested.

#3 2014-11-26 00:12:30

DogMatix

I must admit I was hoping to hear of some timeline/schedule relating to Alpha/Beta testing for Janice. I do pop by this forum occaisionally looking for news but so far I haven't seen anything.

Jessie is now in feature freeze and rumours are of a spring/summer 2015 stable release. IIRC Waldorf and Wheezy became stable at the same time. If this the plan for Janice and Jessie I would be expecting to see some kind of announcement soon! (?)

Crunchbang is the best OOTB openbox distro I've used. It'd be a crying shame if it went no further than Wheezy/Waldorf. I have a !#Animal install. But, I have a partition ready and waiting for testing an official Janice Alpha release.

Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer. - William Burroughs

#4 2014-11-26 07:21:08

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

@DogMatrix -- this is just supposition based on @corenomial activity in the #! community recently, but I would say you would be best just installing jessie and copying over your configs and setup from #!

I would have thought we would have heard some word about plans (at least) by now if there was going to be a Janice edition.

I hope I'm wrong though...

#5 2014-11-26 08:19:26

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

@HoaS:  Got an email today from Debian about the freeze status.  Email stated that over 200 bugs have been resolved since the freeze.  At this rate, maybe we can expect Jessie to become stable by the end of the year.   big_smile

I'm going to be really bummed if CrunchBang ends.  If it does, I've decided not to use another distro developed by one person.  If that person goes away for whatever reason, then you have to go find another distro.  Then again, look how long Slackware has been around and it has been developed by one person since it began.

We could always hope that someone else might be interested in taking over development of CrunchBang or forking it.

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

#6 2014-11-26 22:37:23

snowpine
#!-a-roo

Have faith and be patient; the early Janice demos I've tested are very promising! I am sure papagnomial will share with a wider audience when he feels it's ready. smile

/hugged

#7 2014-11-26 22:56:33

lowrider
#! Die Hard

snowpine wrote:

Have faith and be patient

Best comment on this thread. We use Debian and Debian = Ready when ready

came for the distro, stayed for the community
streamripper :: smxi

#8 2014-11-26 23:14:59

TicTac
#! Junkie

snowpine wrote:

Have faith and be patient; the early Janice demos I've tested are very promising! I am sure papagnomial will share with a wider audience when he feels it's ready. smile

I'm in complete agreement with your comment. Although I've no personal knowledge of either, both corenominal and bobobex appear to be stand up kind of people and I can't imagine them leaving the community dangling like a fish on a hook. Perhaps no news should be taken as good news in this instance and for now. Patience is indeed a virtue.

"Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."   

The Dude.

#9 2014-11-26 23:23:44

DogMatix

snowpine wrote:

So from this we can read Janice is actively being developed? If so that's great news. Care to share any tasty spoilers of what we can expect  smile

Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer. - William Burroughs

#10 2014-11-27 02:03:46

mos

I'm really looking forward to having something that will officially help my dell xps 13 feel more native with crunchbang. I'm not too sure about why some of you mentioned it but I hope cb isn't going away. I donate occasionally albeit small amounts but I hope it all adds up and helps where it can. Thank you to the crunchbang gods and may this os live forever.

#11 2014-11-27 07:14:57

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

snowpine wrote:

the early Janice demos I've tested are very promising!

What?

The Janice repo's are empty -- how have you done this?
http://packages.crunchbang.org/janice/pool/main/

I think the community should be informed of any development...

#12 2014-11-27 10:03:21

exidux
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Maybe janice is waldorf dressed up as jessie decorated with a gpg key, and the 28 bytes empty bzip big_smile
http://packages.crunchbang.org/janice/dists/janice/

~ When jessie hits stable you could upgrade crunchbang and keep it alive a bit longer.

#13 2014-11-27 13:17:46

bot-555

I have a question.  Recently there has been talk about Crunchbang Janice not comming to pass.  I'm not saying that it's true, but if God forbid it is, and Crunchbang Waldorf is the last we see, what are the dangers of using an "inactive" distro?

I mean, I know there are TONS more out there, but I already feel comfortable with Crunchbang and I would not want to change if I don't have to. 

Thank you.

#14 2014-11-27 13:52:12

intoCB
Scatweasel

Debian is basically CrunchBang with some (but not all) packages removed. Since Debian is not going to disappear, your only risk is that the packages that Debian removes will not be maintained. They aren't many but some are nice to have. If (God forbid). CrunchBang does die, you should probably move to Debian.

#15 2014-11-27 14:08:40

damo
#! gimpbanger

bot-555 wrote:

I have a question.  Recently there has been talk about Crunchbang Janice not comming to pass.  I'm not saying that it's true, but if God forbid it is, and Crunchbang Waldorf is the last we see, what are the dangers of using an "inactive" distro?

I mean, I know there are TONS more out there, but I already feel comfortable with Crunchbang and I would not want to change if I don't have to. 

Thank you.

AFAICS It will be almost the same as now, if you have dist-upgraded to testing/sid. A few tweaks to cb scripts are needed, and there is no longer any upgrades from the crunchbang repos, because they have been commented out or removed. The "look and feel" is still there, the window snapping still works, but at the moment you would be running a rolling release (with the risks that entails).

A worst case scenario with no Janice release can still be worked around by making a Crunchbang jessie:

Save all the cb- scripts and pipemenus, themeing etc
    Install the new jessie
    Put back the cb stuff.
    Edit scripts/pipemenus as appropriate, since some things will be slightly different:
         eg browser pipemenu, the cb-exit script, finding a working gtk theme.
    Run your new Crunchbangy jessie Stable smile

(Others may know of other specific crunchbang configuration that needs attending to? I suspect networking for example, since there is a cbnetwork group)

Last edited by damo (2014-11-27 14:10:04)

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#16 2014-11-27 14:22:56

bot-555

Thank you both.  I just love the look and feel of Crunchbang.   The IT guy at my college is actually knowledgeable about Linux in general, and trusts me with a LiveUSB.   Crunchbang has even helped me fix a Windows 7 laptop recently at that campus. Granted, I could have used Ubuntu or something similar, but Crunchbang is so fast. Plus, the Windows 7 repair disc I own wouldn't do anything, besides tell me the source of the problem.  Thank God for Linux LiveCDs.     Yeah, fellow classmates come to me for help.  I tell 'em I don't know it all, but I am constantly learning, with my major interest at the moment being cybersecurity and malware.   

I really like that I can practicaly use #! with only the keyboard.  Speaking of which, is there a way to disable the trackpad while typing?  It does get annoying when you're typing a letter or entering a command, only for your cursor to select something else. ;D

Last edited by bot-555 (2014-11-27 14:25:26)

#17 2014-11-27 16:42:13

damo
#! gimpbanger

Glad you like Crunchbang smile

Speaking of which, is there a way to disable the trackpad while typing?

Pssst - at the top right of the page there is a Magnifying Glass forums search icon. There are several threads about disabling the touchpad wink

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#18 2014-11-27 21:04:04

exidux
#! CrunchBanger
Website

intoCB wrote:

Debian is basically CrunchBang with some (but not all) packages removed. Since Debian is not going to disappear, your only risk is that the packages that Debian removes will not be maintained. They aren't many but some are nice to have. If (God forbid). CrunchBang does die, you should probably move to Debian.

Crunchbang Waldorf =/= Debian Wheezy ;
- pre-configured openbox
- finely crafted openbox menu entries
- a good selection of pre-delivered usable software
- the fine-tuned amount of pre-delivered packages.
- crunchbang tools (cb-exit, cb-*)
- a few patched up packages ; package-1.0.whatever-crunchbang
- a unique and beutifull theme.

At least that is what my digging around in the system showed me...
A lot more work then one could expect from a first glance !

Last edited by exidux (2014-11-27 21:06:18)

~ When jessie hits stable you could upgrade crunchbang and keep it alive a bit longer.

#19 2014-12-01 20:25:46

sleeveroller
Website

Worth a read for those still wondering

http://larrythecrunchbangguy.wordpress. … is-golden/

#20 2014-12-01 20:36:09

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

sleeveroller wrote:

Worth a read for those still wondering

http://larrythecrunchbangguy.wordpress. … is-golden/

Hooray!
Thank you so much for this!
Time to celebrate!
big_smile

#21 2014-12-01 21:17:59

HairlessHippy
#! Member

^^ As good a reason for a pre-Xmas drink as I can think of...  tongue

#22 2014-12-01 22:21:43

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
Website

Looking forward to Janice ... to come back to #! 8.(  8.( ... with updated kernel >= 3.16, and newer broadcom-sta-dkms package ... I hope!

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..
--> The very new BL forum! <--

Board footer