SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2015-01-25 17:13:00

Vic47

Re: Please help the linux newbie solve NO SOUND in #!

Well, hi again, people.
Sorry, i haven't visited this place much longer than i've planned - that's because i've got really tired of all the stuff going (and not going) in my life and my depression, which i struggle with for many years already, returned, so i've stopped most of my activity at all.
Today i've finally catched a good spirit and used it to try one more trick with that old laptop - i've tried to install a fresh version of Linux Mint - 17.1 "Rebecca" with Xfce, just like TicTac recommended me to try... And it worked! The laptop boots up, the sound works, and i've even managed to configure the keyboard layout switching through the control center in the main menu. So, i guess, i've found the linux distro i can use for that laptop. It runs not perfectly smooth (starts lagging a bit, when i launch Firefox, but not very hard) but still better than it's default OS, + all i need seems to work (even Flash games in the browser) and it supports Russian language in the system interface / keyboard layout, so i guess even the original owner of this laptop can handle it if he'll need it back. So i think i'll just stop on Linux Mint Xfce by now, because i've got really tired of all this atm, and not in the mood to continue the search and experiments. (At least by now. Maybe someday later i will.) I'd also like to have a "system resources monitor" on the desktop, just like in !#, and a keyboard layout indicator in the "task bar", but thats just cosmetics, and will, probably, consume some system resources too, so i think i can still live without that.
Again, thanks alot to all of you who helped me here, answered my newbish questions and suggested useful solutions. I really appreciate your help. If i'll need to ask something about Mint - i guess i'll have to/better do that on Mint's forums, since this is a !#-related forum, after all, and this would, probably, be considered off-topic (though, most of this topic already is, i guess...).
Good luck everyone, and thanks for the help once again.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#27 2015-01-26 12:00:21

ohnonot
...again

that's nice to hear (and hard to believe with 400MHz and 512MB of RAM).
you might want to deactivate some features in xfce; it has a nice settings manager, go through it one by one.
first that comes to mind is to disable compositing, that's under window decorations tweaks iirc (something with a magic wand). then maybe some autostarted apps (printer daemon?).
if you experience that thumbnail generation (tumblerd) takes up 100% resources, you might want to consider uninstalling tumbler.

#28 2015-01-26 12:34:03

vic
#! by Default

If you could double the RAM it would be pretty smooth sailing.

Time to move on!#

#29 2015-01-29 10:14:08

Vic47

ohnonot wrote:

first that comes to mind is to disable compositing, that's under window decorations tweaks iirc (something with a magic wand). then maybe some autostarted apps (printer daemon?).
if you experience that thumbnail generation (tumblerd) takes up 100% resources, you might want to consider uninstalling tumbler.

Thanks, i'll probably try this if i'll experience too much lags.

@vic:
I doubt that i can do that since those modules are too old and i couldn't find any in the town i live in (that, actually, wes the first thing i've tried to do for that laptop to make it work faster, before i've started trying different OS' ofr it) and i doubt it worth trying to find them anywhere else.

Board footer