SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-26 22:50:59

Dragynn

Installing MATE desktop environment on Crunchbang

sudo geany /etc/apt/sources.list

Last edited by Dragynn (2014-10-29 21:40:19)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2014-10-27 23:46:36

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

Re: Installing MATE desktop environment on Crunchbang

it's weird how this has become a relatively sane thing to want to do.
4 years ago if u said you wanted to install gnome2 (which is basically the same thing), it'd been scoffed at.
now though, i'm even making a note of this thread incase i want to do that.   sounds great... if i want to try mate, i cant think of a better way.
that'd be especially cool if the crunchbang repo had some cool theme for it ready to go...   ... it doesnt tho right?

#3 2014-10-28 05:28:30

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ If you mean Metacity themes, then I'd expect the answer is "no"...with a "but".  (I don't know how Metacity themes work.  If they use colors off of gtk2 and gtk+ themes the way xfwm themes do, there shouldn't be a problem.)

#4 2014-10-28 20:23:16

Dragynn

The MATE meta-package does include a bunch of themes, extra icon packs, wallpapers, controls etc.  Too many really for my taste.  Metacity is still there, just been re-named like most stuff, I believe it's called "Marco" now, it gets installed with everything else.

The GUI for changing everything is available by right-clicking anywhere on the desktop and choosing "Change desktop background". You can change controls and window borders, fonts, everything right there, even colors used in any theme. I'm using a special set of icons I stashed away that I like from another distro that I can't find in any repo anymore, they are called Oxy2-zen, icons from the old Oxygen theme but changed to be mostly black and gray, goes nicely with the #! colors already present.

#5 2014-10-29 20:59:16

Dragynn

Added some info to main post, how to set up a menu entry to run slimconf to adjust user login settings.  smile

Board footer