SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-22 19:08:07

tdlam

Linux boot repair

Hi gang,
I figure most of you probably already know about this but for those that dont  Linux Boot Repair has gotten me out of more than a few binds.
http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair-cd/home/Home/

I refurbish computers for charity and basically what I do is re-pourpose old computers installing linux on them and getting them into the hands of the needy. Sometimes after deploying my install image (i "make" a completely loaded installation on another computer and then make an image of it with Clonezilla which I also use to deploy that image onto other computers ready to donate) the computer wont boot form grub. Or I get a grub error. Now I could try learning and hacking through a bunch of command line tricks (which I am NOT proficient at) but instead I boot the computer off of the Linux Boot Repair disc listed above and I would say 98% of the time the problem is fixed. I have even used it to configure tricky dual boots that I was trying to set up with windows 7. Usually it configures the dual boot just fine and the choices are available in the grub menu with no problem ( I say usually but you know how it can go sometimes LOL) I tested it last night. I decided to install crunch bang on my Desktop tower. I was concerned about any potential issues letting the crunchbang installer handle the dual boot so I disconnected all my hard drives (I have 7 of them) except for the one I wanted to install crunchbang on. I installed crunchbang without grub. Then I reconnected all my drives and booted off of the boot repair disk. I told it to do recommended repair and afterwards my dual boot is working just fine.

Anyway...apologies if this is well known. I just wanted to share with the community something that continues to be a staple for me in my refurbishment and linux install adventures.

All the very best to you all.

There are three kinds of people in the world: Those that can count and those that can't.

Board footer