SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-17 13:50:12

th3pun15h3r
#! Die Hard

How much longer will waldorf be supported?

My pc hobby business has been good to me, so I've been able to build a new gaming machine.  Should be getting my new case, psu and Optical drive (yes I still use one sometimes smile ) today to migrate my other parts over.  The old case I will use for the parts from my wife's older machine, (q6700, 4 gb ddr2, gtx 260, 600 watt psu), which I plan to use as a linux workstation for data recovery, remote services, and data storage for clients.

So been trying to decide what linux distro to install and crunchbang is on that list, but I want to have a stable system that will be supported for a long time (why I am thinking of 14.04 lts based distro or maybe solydk being semi rolling release).  I wasn't sure how soon #! Janice will be out and how much longer after it waldorf will be supported.  Just don't want to have to do a reinstall after a year or less.  Also wonder if spotify works again and if native netflix is supported with chrome now on debian wheezy.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2014-10-17 14:05:14

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Re: How much longer will waldorf be supported?

Waldorf will continue to receive the occasional security patches via the Wheezy/Oldstable repo for about a year after Janice/Jessie goes stable.

#3 2014-10-17 14:51:41

Neil
#! CrunchBanger

Why not just install Janice now, even though it's still in testing?  When it goes stable, you can expect years of support.

#4 2014-10-17 14:55:33

vic
#! by Default

Spotify works only with an older version on Waldorf stable. On 14.04 it works ok, so will Netflix with an updated Chrome.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2824623/ … ounds.html

I hope all this stuff will just work on the next stable Debian release.

Time to move on!#

#5 2014-10-17 15:40:12

th3pun15h3r
#! Die Hard

Neil wrote:

Why not just install Janice now, even though it's still in testing?  When it goes stable, you can expect years of support.

I didn't see anything in the download section of #! website, is there a link that goes to it?  Or do you mean to just switch the repos to Jessie or testing?

I am sure by then Spotify and Netflix will work natively.  If not, im sure the #! community will find a way to make it work!  cool  just cool like that.

Until then If I decide to go #!, I can check out Spotify using wine and use pipelight still.  I plan to have two drives with the secondary being where all important data is stored so if I need to do a wipe and install for a new version of #! or another distro it wont be that big of a deal.

Anyway thank you all for your responses!  Keep crunchin!

#6 2014-10-17 15:46:40

photonucleon
Quantum Geek

Spotify Web Player? This avoids installing the Spotify client, and any potential trouble that may come with it.

http://play.spotify.com

This didn't work with Chrome on #! last time I checked - however, while I use Chrome for browsing, I use Iceweasel with the web player for Spotifying smile

- Ai! Aníron Undómiel. -
- Some things are certain. -
- Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta. -

#7 2014-10-17 15:49:52

Neil
#! CrunchBanger

Oh!... I was think of installing Debian Jessie:  http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/jessie_di_beta_2/

But now that I think about it, you were looking for Jessie based Crunchbang, right?  Yeah, that doesn't exist yet.

#8 2014-10-17 15:59:21

photonucleon
Quantum Geek

Neil wrote:

Oh!... I was think of installing Debian Jessie:  http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/jessie_di_beta_2/

But now that I think about it, you were looking for Jessie based Crunchbang, right?  Yeah, that doesn't exist yet.

Yet.

- Ai! Aníron Undómiel. -
- Some things are certain. -
- Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta. -

Board footer