SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-15 14:09:06

rmcellig
#! Die Hard
Website

Quick video editing

A while back I posted to the forum that I needed to find a way to quickly create video snippets  and save them to seperate files.

On the Mac side, I have been using MPEG Streamclip. Amazing tool for quick video editing. Put a marker at the beginning and end of the clip you want and than save the clip. Job done. Avidemux never worked well for me because it had problems with some file formats. So, I tried compiling the latest version myself. Looks pretty straight forward but I ran into problems and just need some clarification. This is the page I am looking at:

http://avidemux.org/admWiki/doku.php?id … nstall_2.6

Correct me if I am wrong but this is the approach I took when I previously installed it:

Step 1 - Install all of the code under Requirement list (debian/ubuntu)
Step 2 - This is where I get confused. Do I install this:

bash bootStrap.bash --deb

and this:

bash bootStrap.bash --deb --without-qt4 --with-gtk

Or is it one or the other?

After installing, I am told that the deb files are in a folder called deb. Do I run all of those deb fies? If so, any particular order?

Once I run them, where do I locate the Avidemux app to launch it? It mentions something about placing the contents of the launch folder into /usr as root of course.

Here is the actual quote:

If you don't use –deb or –rpm, the result will be in the *install* folder. You can copy its content to /usr later.

I just need some clarification so that I don't mess things up in my new install of Crunchbang.

Before leaving, I am aware of another option I have so that I don't have to go the Avidemux root and that is using ffmpeg instead. Would that be a more flexible and easier option to use? After all, years ago when I discovered Linux I was looking for a gui solution that would record my radio shows based on a schedule. THEN, I discovered arecord and as they say..... The rest is history. Gotta love that command line wink

Thanks!!!!

Last edited by rmcellig (2014-10-15 14:09:44)

Cheers Randy
www.mcran.com - my web site
www.chuo.fm - My radio show Sundays  noon-2pm EST or 89.1 fM

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2014-10-15 14:58:35

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

Re: Quick video editing

Its one or the other. But this wont build correctly on wheezy I suppose (There is no libaften-dev or libfaac-dev in repos which are needed for common plugins), at least not easily...

you can install debs with

sudo dpkg -i *.deb
(which should install them in no particular order)

I managed to build the qt4 version.

---

For the cutting part (I have tested mp4 (AVC video + AAC audio) input only) I would:
a. Use avidemux (or mpv --osd-fractions input.mp4) just to locate the in and out points for video.
b. Use modern version of ffmpeg to construct a command line like;

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -ss 42.250 -to 46.337 (define output video and audio codec here) out.mp4

codec copy method seems unreliable for AVC input.

p.s. Being fancy with mpv:
add

Meta+c run "/bin/sh" "-c" "/bin/echo -n ${time-pos/full} | xsel --clipboard --input"

to ~/.mpv/input.conf and then you can use meta+c key to copy current playhead position to clipboard.
btw: You can use , and . for frame to frame step.

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2014-10-15 16:11:46)

#3 2014-10-15 16:16:11

rmcellig
#! Die Hard
Website

Re: Quick video editing

Thanks!!

Last edited by rmcellig (2014-10-15 16:20:20)

Cheers Randy
www.mcran.com - my web site
www.chuo.fm - My radio show Sundays  noon-2pm EST or 89.1 fM

Board footer