SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-23 20:01:44

tactonic

cpu-freq utils

Hi there,

Hope this is the right place to post this question....

I'm using Debian Wheezy with GNOME Shell at work and a got use to a little extension to set the cpu governor.
Is there something like that in openbox or does anybody know a good other way? to quickly modify the cpu governor?

Thankfull for any suggestions..

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2014-09-23 20:35:22

twoion

Re: cpu-freq utils

Well, bind icons in a dock or entries in a menu to a script that sets the frequency using the cpufrequtils, or use the terminal like I do it:

I wrote this Bash completion for cpufreq-set (from the cpufrequtils package): https://github.com/2ion/scripts/blob/ma … pletion.sh. It will auto-detect and complete the frequency scaling steps of your CPU and the available governors to I just enter 'cpufreq-set -u 16*tab*' and it will complete to 'cpufreq-set -u 1650000' meaning "set the upper frequency bound to 1.65Ghz". Same for the -g (governor flag) and others. Just read the script ;D

Note that when you use the cpufreq-* commands for setting something, they need to be run as root. I use the following entry in /etc/sudoers to allow launching them passwordless with sudo:

$myusername ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/cpufreq-set

Alternatively, you could make the binary SUID but personally, I wouldn't advise that.

Tannhäuser ~ {www,pkg,ddl}.bunsenlabs.org/{gitlog,repoidx}

#3 2014-09-24 05:23:24

ohnonot
...again

...i'd like to add: you could hack yourself a quick script to toggle your most-used frequencies, and add it to tint2, so you have a "button".
conky would give feedback about the current frquency.
the most important bit is editing /etc/sudoers as mentioned above!

#4 2014-09-24 06:52:21

uname
#! Junkie

Use package https://packages.debian.org/cpufrequtils . You can configure it in /etc/default/cpufrequtils . I think cpufreq-set from the same package is not persistent. Use "sudo -s" to change to root or the sudoers-alternative.

Last edited by uname (2014-09-24 06:54:27)

#5 2014-09-24 10:09:07

twoion

uname wrote:

Use package https://packages.debian.org/cpufrequtils . You can configure it in /etc/default/cpufrequtils . I think cpufreq-set from the same package is not persistent. Use "sudo -s" to change to root or the sudoers-alternative.

True that it's not persistent, but neither is the defaults file, since at boot time the settings will be re-set to the specified values, unless you use a configuration script that uses both the CLI command for setting the frequency at run time and rewrite the configuration script for setting the governor at boot time.

Last edited by twoion (2014-09-24 10:09:35)

Tannhäuser ~ {www,pkg,ddl}.bunsenlabs.org/{gitlog,repoidx}

#6 2014-09-25 17:58:22

tactonic

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I think i will make a script and add it to the menu.

I googled for a while but could not find a solution to but a button into tint2, does anybody know how, just out of curiosity.

#7 2014-09-25 18:25:06

damo
#! gimpbanger

tactonic wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I think i will make a script and add it to the menu.

I googled for a while but could not find a solution to but a button into tint2, does anybody know how, just out of curiosity.

Search for tint2 launcher. You may also be able to modify this method: Simple "Start" menu button for tint2

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#8 2014-09-26 06:25:51

ohnonot
...again

https://code.google.com/p/tint2/wiki/Configure

(it's called "Launcher", not "Button")

Board footer