SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-21 14:20:12

twoion

[Firefox Addon] Display page tags in tab titles

If a page has been bookmarked, it is possible to assign tags to this bookmark. This addon checks on loading a page in a new tab if the current URL has been assigned tags, and if yes modify the tab title to

${RegularTabTitle} #${Tag0}#${Tag1}[...#${TagN}]

that is, you'll see a list of the tags assigned to its page in the tab title. Example:

2014_09_21_172413_969x591_scrot.jpg

.XPI download | Source

Limitations

We currently can't react to tab content changes by content navigation. Accessing the tagging service requires running in Chrome context. Since having Chrome authority is tantamount to having unlimited access to all Firefox APIs/the system, obtaining it is not possible when running in Content context which is necessary for listening to page load events. The Firefox SDK currently doesn't allow to bridge these worlds in a secure way, thence this limitation.

For some reason the SDK sets the maximum version for Firefox to 30.0 when building an XPI. This addon runs fine under 33.0beta however.

You might want to increase the default tab widths when using this since the default space allowance for tab titles is quite small.

Disclaimer

I just wrote this up as I went over the FF docs for the first time. Actually, I a) can't really write JavaScript and b) have no idea about web development/browser development either. So the above limitations are likely just due to me overlooking something. I'm not sorry. Don't place expensive bids on stocks/options online while testing this addon 'cause this addon might crash your browser :D No guarantees/warranty.

Last edited by twoion (2014-09-21 15:25:47)

Tannhäuser ~ {www,pkg,ddl}.bunsenlabs.org/{gitlog,repoidx}

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2015-04-23 11:32:41

twoion

Re: [Firefox Addon] Display page tags in tab titles

Starting with Firefox 38 (now in beta), the old Mozilla addon SDK has been deprecated and will be replaced with JPM.

The code of this addon has been updated in order to build cleanly with JPM. Addons built with JPM cannot be installed on Firefoxes/Iceweasels prior to version 38.

A readily built extension for Firefox/Iceweasel >= 38 is available for download here.

#3 2015-04-23 12:09:11

twoion

Re: [Firefox Addon] Display page tags in tab titles

Board footer