SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-03 00:30:15

Joe90
#! Junkie

How I did "Dual Monitors with Nvidia Twinview and Openbox"

Picked up a matching HANNSG 24" hdmi monitor on eBay for £25, so set about a dual screen setup for my Waldorf. I have an Nvidia 650GT graphics card running monitor 1 on HDMI so plugged into the VGA connector and booted up. Reset "new" monitor to factory defaults, adjusted colours to get a match.

Got both screens up but all apps opened on wrong screen and the screens were round the wrong way, plus my vertical tint panel showing on both monitors.

We normally turn to arandr/xrandr at this point but with an nvidia card and driver I needed nvidia settings.

gksudo nvidia-settings  (needs sudo to save settings to /etc/X11/)

Under X configuration, swapped the monitors left and right, set the HDMI one to Primary, and Absolute position, set the VGA one to "right of". Saved X config and Quit

Restarted X, better but applications still opening in wrong screen.

Openbox GUI Config Tool Next:

Windows tab:

Tick place new windows under mouse pointer
Prefer to place new windows on "Active Monitor"
Primary Monitor Fixed Monitor "1"

Restart openbox. Everything worked as it should. If an app persists on other screen, drag it across and close it then re-open, that should sort it.

Finally, edit tint2rc and change panel monitor to "1". This will force a tint panel to work only only the first monitor.

smile

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2014-06-03 10:53:08

damo
#! gimpbanger

Re: How I did "Dual Monitors with Nvidia Twinview and Openbox"

Bookmarked smile

Do you know if the nvidia-settings will persist after a smxi driver upgrade, followed by running nvidia-xconfig?

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#3 2014-06-03 16:58:44

Joe90
#! Junkie

If I am honest, I do not know what smxi driver does in relation to nvidia settings, but if you save out your /etc/X11/xorg.conf just in case you can always replace it

#4 2014-06-03 18:44:27

damo
#! gimpbanger

Joe90 wrote:

If I am honest, I do not know what smxi driver does in relation to nvidia settings, but if you save out your /etc/X11/xorg.conf just in case you can always replace it

The smxi scripts are an easy way of installing/updating kernels, nvidia etc. Sounds like some jiggery pokery may be required to set up the monitors again after an upgrade.

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

Board footer