SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#801 2014-06-02 15:25:27

CSCoder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll
From: /dev/zero
Registered: 2013-09-03
Posts: 2,256

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Just get out while you still can.
and don't join ANY pony forums while you're at it

Offline

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#802 2014-06-02 15:34:31

#!_828
#! Tinfoil Hat
From: Ohio, U. S. of A.
Registered: 2013-09-19
Posts: 1,244

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

^"Getting out" as you say, implies that Pony is a place. I find that, if anything, Pony is more of a state of being, an internal stronghold that embeds itself in your mind, fundamentally altering you from the inside out.


Those who would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither
Member of the (Un)Official #! Emergency Tinfoil Hat Distribution Center
Emergency Tinfoil Hat Conky Alert System development team

Offline

#803 2014-06-02 15:37:35

CSCoder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll
From: /dev/zero
Registered: 2013-09-03
Posts: 2,256

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

It's more complicated than that but okay then.

Offline

#804 2014-06-02 15:39:42

#!_828
#! Tinfoil Hat
From: Ohio, U. S. of A.
Registered: 2013-09-19
Posts: 1,244

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Well, how would you describe it, & how did you ever manage to de-pony?


Those who would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither
Member of the (Un)Official #! Emergency Tinfoil Hat Distribution Center
Emergency Tinfoil Hat Conky Alert System development team

Offline

#805 2014-06-02 15:43:05

damo
#! gimpbanger
From: N51.5 W002.8 (mostly)
Registered: 2011-11-24
Posts: 5,434

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

#!_828 wrote:

^"Getting out" as you say, implies that Pony is a place. I find that, if anything, Pony is more of a state of being, an internal stronghold that embeds itself in your mind, fundamentally altering you from the inside out.

You don't feel a bit bruised after your last go at debating philosophy? ]:D

Meanwhile, it is overcast and breezy now, and the temperature is much cooler today. I had a chance at going for a sail, but I thought I'd waste time here instead.


BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

Offline

#806 2014-06-02 15:47:18

#!_828
#! Tinfoil Hat
From: Ohio, U. S. of A.
Registered: 2013-09-19
Posts: 1,244

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

damo wrote:
#!_828 wrote:

^"Getting out" as you say, implies that Pony is a place. I find that, if anything, Pony is more of a state of being, an internal stronghold that embeds itself in your mind, fundamentally altering you from the inside out.

You don't feel a bit bruised after your last go at debating philosophy? ]:D

Oh God. Here we go again. Yes, pure Vulcan logic isn't exactly my strong suit, but I do at least enjoy semantics, to some degree.


Those who would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither
Member of the (Un)Official #! Emergency Tinfoil Hat Distribution Center
Emergency Tinfoil Hat Conky Alert System development team

Offline

#807 2014-06-02 17:08:09

CSCoder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll
From: /dev/zero
Registered: 2013-09-03
Posts: 2,256

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

#!_828 wrote:

Well, how would you describe it, & how did you ever manage to de-pony?

I sorta hinted something earlier lol.

Offline

#808 2014-06-02 17:17:38

damo
#! gimpbanger
From: N51.5 W002.8 (mostly)
Registered: 2011-11-24
Posts: 5,434

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

[serious mode]
Logic is actually very precise and specific - "Vulcan" if you want to call it that.

Formal logic deduction:  the branch of philosophy concerned with analysing the patterns of reasoning by which a conclusion is properly drawn from a set of premises, without reference to meaning or context

It is like a programming language in that respect, where you won't get a useful product without using the right definitions and following the correct rules. Many so-called paradoxes are based on false premises, so the chain of deductive reasoning is flawed from the start - GIGO.

It seems to me that most people use the term "logic" too loosely, when what they mean is "It seems reasonable to me". Ergo it is pointless trying to use logical argument with someone who isn't using proper logic.

Just sayin....

And we had better not get started on what "Semantics" means big_smile

[/serious mode] wink


BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

Offline

#809 2014-06-02 17:47:01

#!_828
#! Tinfoil Hat
From: Ohio, U. S. of A.
Registered: 2013-09-19
Posts: 1,244

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

^ So then, (please try to bear with my attempt to follow your logic) According to this, say we took a species.

Now, the goal of the species is to survive & continue itself, passing only the most beneficial traits onto the next generation, right? (in terms of basic biology, that's pretty much it) Well, basic natural selection is that those with superior beneficial traits will survive & reproduce to a much greater extent than say, those without such traits. So, if these individuals with said inferior traits are reproducing (again, to a lesser extent than the bulk of the population) & handicapping the next generation, wouldn't it then be best, in attaining the goal of passing on the most beneficial traits to the next generation, that these individuals with decidedly inferior traits should be removed? Does this mean there's a logical precedent for genocide?


Those who would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither
Member of the (Un)Official #! Emergency Tinfoil Hat Distribution Center
Emergency Tinfoil Hat Conky Alert System development team

Offline

#810 2014-06-02 18:12:22

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
From: The Netherlands
Registered: 2010-07-17
Posts: 4,634
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

^ That has nothin to do with logic per sé. That is drawing a conclusion (and a rather cruel one) using logic. Trust me, you do not want to get in touch with what logic is. I had a class on it last quarter and it is abstract to the max. Fun, but it can quickly get very ugly.


If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

Offline

#811 2014-06-02 18:22:46

mrpeachy
20% cooler
From: The Everfree Forest
Registered: 2009-11-08
Posts: 3,460

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

^^also evolution by natural selection does not work as you suggest
you have only set out a crude approximation in your statement

Offline

#812 2014-06-02 18:29:50

#!_828
#! Tinfoil Hat
From: Ohio, U. S. of A.
Registered: 2013-09-19
Posts: 1,244

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

^^So then my scenario is more of an "inherently flawed" deductive reasoning? By the way, the point was to use logic, as an example of a logical precedent, to illustrate the following: the biggest difference between man & machine (or even man & vegetable) is how we don't need to have everything handed to us to do anything other than sit on our collective asses like tubs of lard, how we can actually figure out stuff beyond black & white numbers. That ability to infer at the grey areas is something fairly unique in the universe, & not something we should attempt to discard, lest we become, well, inhuman. Maybe I don't have an expert status in all the studies of the philosophical nature of everyone else's ideas, but I do have my own, original ideas, a conscience, & a path; & I wouldn't trade any of it.

Last edited by #!_828 (2014-06-02 18:30:09)


Those who would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither
Member of the (Un)Official #! Emergency Tinfoil Hat Distribution Center
Emergency Tinfoil Hat Conky Alert System development team

Offline

#813 2014-06-02 18:36:05

damo
#! gimpbanger
From: N51.5 W002.8 (mostly)
Registered: 2011-11-24
Posts: 5,434

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

@#!_828

[sigh]
Species do not have a goal; Evolution does not have an aim; Individuals with beneficial traits MAY be more likely to pass them on, but it is the survival of GENES not individuals which evolution works on (Selfish Gene theory)

Pay attention in class - what did I say about false premises?

^ what Unia said


BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

Offline

#814 2014-06-02 19:20:38

#!_828
#! Tinfoil Hat
From: Ohio, U. S. of A.
Registered: 2013-09-19
Posts: 1,244

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

^ See last sentence of my previous post for rebuttal

Last edited by #!_828 (2014-06-02 19:20:54)


Those who would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither
Member of the (Un)Official #! Emergency Tinfoil Hat Distribution Center
Emergency Tinfoil Hat Conky Alert System development team

Offline

#815 2014-06-02 19:54:29

damo
#! gimpbanger
From: N51.5 W002.8 (mostly)
Registered: 2011-11-24
Posts: 5,434

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

#!_828 wrote:

^ See last sentence of my previous post for rebuttal

This?

Maybe I don't have an expert status in all the studies of the philosophical nature of everyone else's ideas, but I do have my own, original ideas, a conscience, & a path; & I wouldn't trade any of it.

And that is a great attitude imo. Just be careful, because "original ideas" probably aren't, and anyway could suffer from being based on inadequate knowledge/experiences. But it wasn't a "rebuttal"  tongue cool
Rebuttal: to refute or disprove, esp by offering a contrary contention or argument.

And now I am sounding far too much like an old fart telling the young'uns how to behave, because it wasn't like that in my day, and I fought in the war you know, and I find your music is too loud and your fashion tastes are ludicrous. And you don't respect your parents either. (I think that is the rough translation of some cuneiform script found on a piece of ancient Sumerian pottery big_smile )

Time for my nap....zzzz


BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

Offline

#816 2014-06-02 19:54:43

mrpeachy
20% cooler
From: The Everfree Forest
Registered: 2009-11-08
Posts: 3,460

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

its all well and good to have your own ideas, but when those ideas are wrong, surely you have to update them

Offline

#817 2014-06-02 20:07:13

pvsage
Internal Affairs
From: North Carolina
Registered: 2009-10-18
Posts: 13,970

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

CSCoder4ever wrote:
#!_828 wrote:

Well, how would you describe it, & how did you ever manage to de-pony?

I sorta hinted something earlier lol.

I must admit my interest is piqued as to why you felt a need to de-pony.

Offline

#818 2014-06-02 20:12:06

damo
#! gimpbanger
From: N51.5 W002.8 (mostly)
Registered: 2011-11-24
Posts: 5,434

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

pvsage wrote:
CSCoder4ever wrote:
#!_828 wrote:

Well, how would you describe it, & how did you ever manage to de-pony?

I sorta hinted something earlier lol.

I must admit my interest is piqued as to why you felt a need to de-pony.

At the risk of getting flamed again (!), I imagine it's a bit like getting de-loused O:)


BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

Offline

#819 2014-06-02 20:59:53

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
From: The Netherlands
Registered: 2010-07-17
Posts: 4,634
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

pvsage wrote:
CSCoder4ever wrote:
#!_828 wrote:

Well, how would you describe it, & how did you ever manage to de-pony?

I sorta hinted something earlier lol.

I must admit my interest is piqued as to why you felt a need to de-pony.

Because you can go too far?  ]:D


If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

Offline

#820 2014-06-02 22:29:05

mrpeachy
20% cooler
From: The Everfree Forest
Registered: 2009-11-08
Posts: 3,460

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

you could pick a convention for ANY movie or tv show and you would get photos like that
just people having fun...

but you can go too far... google "lyra plushie" and see what you get
Edit - all fandoms have their nastier sides...

Last edited by mrpeachy (2014-06-03 01:26:55)

Offline

#821 2014-06-02 22:29:16

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
From: SR11 Cockpit
Registered: 2010-05-05
Posts: 15,667
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Spoiler Alert! - Spoiler Alert! - Spoiler Alert!

You must use the horse!

Don't say I didn't warn you.  cool


·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

Offline

#822 2014-06-03 03:13:19

#!_828
#! Tinfoil Hat
From: Ohio, U. S. of A.
Registered: 2013-09-19
Posts: 1,244

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

damo wrote:
#!_828 wrote:

^ See last sentence of my previous post for rebuttal

This?

Maybe I don't have an expert status in all the studies of the philosophical nature of everyone else's ideas, but I do have my own, original ideas, a conscience, & a path; & I wouldn't trade any of it.

And that is a great attitude imo. Just be careful, because "original ideas" probably aren't, and anyway could suffer from being based on inadequate knowledge/experiences. But it wasn't a "rebuttal"  tongue cool
Rebuttal: to refute or disprove, esp by offering a contrary contention or argument.

And now I am sounding far too much like an old fart telling the young'uns how to behave, because it wasn't like that in my day, and I fought in the war you know, and I find your music is too loud and your fashion tastes are ludicrous. And you don't respect your parents either. (I think that is the rough translation of some cuneiform script found on a piece of ancient Sumerian pottery big_smile )

Time for my nap....zzzz

The good news is that up until that post, I'd completely forgotten the whole generation gap thing lol As far as how you come across to people (at least on the internet) I'd never guess that you could ever say you did something 40 years ago. Compared to, say, my dad (who will be 61 in September) you, Sector11, the rest of the OTHCG, etc. seem much more relatable to people of my age group.

So then, I guess I'll concede to stop trying to find loopholes in objective fact & we can all live happily ever after  O:)


Those who would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither
Member of the (Un)Official #! Emergency Tinfoil Hat Distribution Center
Emergency Tinfoil Hat Conky Alert System development team

Offline

#823 2014-06-03 03:32:43

#!_828
#! Tinfoil Hat
From: Ohio, U. S. of A.
Registered: 2013-09-19
Posts: 1,244

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Sector11 wrote:

Spoiler Alert! - Spoiler Alert! - Spoiler Alert!

You must use the horse!

Don't say I didn't warn you.  cool

Now, Ponies have officially become a bit more badass (to me, at least)  cool


Those who would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither
Member of the (Un)Official #! Emergency Tinfoil Hat Distribution Center
Emergency Tinfoil Hat Conky Alert System development team

Offline

#824 2014-06-03 10:26:55

photonucleon
Quantum Geek
From: Hogwarts
Registered: 2013-06-10
Posts: 952

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

1401791200.jpg


- Ai! Aníron Undómiel. -
- Some things are certain. -
- Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta. -

Offline

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#825 2014-06-03 14:45:19

CSCoder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll
From: /dev/zero
Registered: 2013-09-03
Posts: 2,256

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

it's soo cute... but it's not doing itself a favor by living in a rubber dome keyboard, mechanicals are where its at! tongue

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB

Copyright © 2012 CrunchBang Linux.
Proudly powered by Debian. Hosted by Linode.
Debian is a registered trademark of Software in the Public Interest, Inc.
Server: acrobat

Debian Logo