SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#51 2014-03-15 07:58:05

mullberry

Re: Share your actual desk(top)!

I don't the only thing I plan on getting for this is a HDD. Mainly because I cannot sink money into it to much but also because I like my rt7d50. It might be a membrane keyboard but it has lasted years not only for coding but also for gaming so if I ever do need a new keyboard I will more than likely buy another d50. plus it is literally the most common keyboard where I live you can walk into any doctors office school or gov't building and I promise if you have to type something on their computers you will use a d50 so I guess it's also kind of a comfort thing to.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#52 2014-03-28 11:36:16

proycon
Website

My home office:

w_Zx_CVl_R.jpg

--- Moderator Edit --- S11 ---
Please use thumbnails (please try to avoid the large thumbnail imgur.com code) linking to the larger image to help those of us with slow connections. An example of the code needed is below. Most image hosting sites will automatically generate this for you as well. Users have been using postimage.org lately which does a nice job.

[url=http://link.to.your.fullsized.image][img]http://link.to.your.thumbnail.image[/img][/url]

Please use the Report button to let moderators know of images that are too large. Thank you!

#53 2014-03-28 11:50:40

damo
#! gimpbanger

A very restful room - nice smile  I guess there isn't much Heavy Metal sounds out of those speakers? big_smile

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#54 2014-03-28 11:59:16

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

Erg mooi proycon!  wink

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#55 2014-03-28 14:13:10

proycon
Website

Thanks/Bedankt! wink  No heavy metal indeed no, right now it's playing Enya wink

#56 2014-03-28 20:46:40

xero
#! Junkie
Website

here's my setup at work:
qGc5fXjs.jpg

#! laptop, external hdmi monitor, kinesis split keyboard, vape, etc

▬▬ι═════════-
dotfiles http://git.io/.files

#57 2014-03-28 23:13:11

CSCoder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

xero wrote:

here's my setup at work:
http://i.imgur.com/qGc5fXjs.jpg

#! laptop, external hdmi monitor, kinesis split keyboard, vape, etc

needs more mechanical keyboard  tongue  O:)

looks good otherwise though!  cool

#58 2014-03-31 14:48:20

xero
#! Junkie
Website

CSCoder4ever wrote:

needs more mechanical keyboard  tongue  O:)

if only i could get a ergodox

▬▬ι═════════-

#59 2014-03-31 15:39:59

#!_828
#! Tinfoil Hat

Seems like it'd be hard to learn the new setup of a keyboard that very few people use  neutral
I'm good with just a regular ergonomic qwerty keyboard, but I'd change one thing: replace the windoze key with a nice little Tux-logo key, or, better yet, a #! key  big_smile

Those who would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither
Member of the (Un)Official #! Emergency Tinfoil Hat Distribution Center
Emergency Tinfoil Hat Conky Alert System development team

#60 2014-03-31 16:35:46

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

#!_828 wrote:

Seems like it'd be hard to learn the new setup of a keyboard that very few people use  neutral
I'm good with just a regular ergonomic qwerty keyboard, but I'd change one thing: replace the windoze key with a nice little Tux-logo key, or, better yet, a #! key  big_smile

I took an "edding 8400 CD Marker" blacked out the little "windows" on those keys - my ancient Microsoft Internet Keyboard Pro is a cream colour - and wrote on the left key: Panic, on the right key: Any

You can get the idea from my post

Works for me.

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#61 2014-04-01 13:54:09

xero
#! Junkie
Website

#!_828 wrote:

it's not really a different layout. just that the keyboard is cut in half.  a lot easier on the wrists. forces me to keep my hands on the correct side of the keyboard too. the ergodox is a bit different with the 3 buttons by the thumbs (vs just the spacebar). but i bet i could get used to that pretty quickly.

▬▬ι═════════-

#62 2014-04-01 14:01:39

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

ergodox

This would drive me to the insane asylum.

I'm a hunt and peck - three and a half finger, look at the keyboard kinda guy.

Been this way for over 30 years.

#63 2014-04-01 14:05:55

#!_828
#! Tinfoil Hat

^ Same here. While I pretty much know my way around a keyboard, my hands don't always do what I want them to do unless I'm looking at them on the keyboard. I've tried not looking at my hands, but I end up taking more time fixing typos than actually typing

#64 2014-04-01 14:26:14

xero
#! Junkie
Website

^^ it's what i do for a living. if you have to think about typing, it's less you can think about programming.

my mom knew computers where the/my future, so i've been taking typing classes since i was a kid (on actual analog type writers *gasp!* lol). they tested us using keyboards w/ no markings, so i was forced to learn the "home row" style. it's odd. when i try and think about what keys i press with which finger, i can't really tell. but let me lay my hands on one, and it's off to the races ;D

▬▬ι═════════-

#65 2014-04-01 14:55:32

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

/OFF TOPIC

#!_828 wrote:

^ Same here. While I pretty much know my way around a keyboard, my hands don't always do what I want them to do unless I'm looking at them on the keyboard. I've tried not looking at my hands, but I end up taking more time fixing typos than actually typing

The tip of my left hand middle finger is missing ...

... sheet metal shears ... shear.jpg ... claimed the tip 46 years ago!
And older machine like this but ... less the yellow guard and plexiglass shield ... tapping on anything too long with that finger is painful. And forget it if I bang it on something ... see white spots PAIN!

xero wrote:

but let me lay my hands on one, and it's off to the races ;D

A very wise mom! When I was in school - typing - was for girls only!
/ON TOPIC

Last edited by Sector11 (2014-04-01 14:56:10)

#66 2014-04-01 15:10:46

#!_828
#! Tinfoil Hat

^ Sorry to hear it, my grandfather lost half of his left hand in a meat grinder when he was 19.

#67 2014-04-01 15:13:48

xero
#! Junkie
Website

Sector11 wrote:

wow, the hardware it guy at my last job had the exact same thing happen to him. but said he had no pain with annual cortizone shots, something to think about.

yeah, my moms a hip lady. she was a grade school teacher and got a free apple II gs to learn how to use a computer in the classroom. it started my love affair with computers (also, the only apple computer i have ever owned). years later, when she was sick of watching me go though the "hunt and peck" style of typing, she bribed me with my own computer if it took typing classes at the local community college.

ok, back on topic!

i have always wanted one of these bare computer parts under glass style desks.

▬▬ι═════════-

#68 2014-04-01 15:36:02

#!_828
#! Tinfoil Hat

^ Mother of God! How much would that cost? Pretty cool. Is that like the desk is the case of the actual computer, or is it just parts there to look cool?

#69 2014-04-01 16:04:26

xero
#! Junkie
Website

#!_828 wrote:

^ Mother of God! How much would that cost? Pretty cool. Is that like the desk is the case of the actual computer, or is it just parts there to look cool?

yes, the desk is the actual case of the computer. this one is commissioned and 100% diy (according to this)

▬▬ι═════════-

#70 2014-04-01 16:17:44

boisei0
#! CrunchBanger

xero wrote:

i have always wanted one of these bare computer parts under glass style desks.

Ah, the l3pd3sk, I enjoyed reading the forumposts he wrote about it during the building. Maybe, somewhere in the future, I'll be doing a casecon as well. It is somewhere on a bucketlist I once made.

#!_828 wrote:

His buildlog (forum topic in Dutch): http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/lis … es/1420280

And my own setup:
ze_De_WKz.jpg
Ity0_Exq.jpg

--- Moderator Edit --- S11 ---
Please use thumbnails (please try to avoid the large thumbnail imgur.com code) linking to the larger image to help those of us with slow connections. An example of the code needed is below. Most image hosting sites will automatically generate this for you as well. Users have been using postimage.org lately which does a nice job.

[url=http://link.to.your.fullsized.image][img]http://link.to.your.thumbnail.image[/img][/url]

Please use the Report button to let moderators know of images that are too large. Thank you!

YAWS (cli weather script with conkyForecast syntax) | Bitbucket | Github | Blog
Member of the Unofficial #! Emergency Tinfoil Hat Distribution Center

#71 2014-04-01 18:14:46

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@Sector11:  Man, that sucks.  I have some persistent issues due to old soft tissue injuries, but I can hardly imagine what it would feel like to be in the Tony Iommi club. sad

xero wrote:
Sector11 wrote:

wow, the hardware it guy at my last job had the exact same thing happen to him. but said he had no pain with annual cortizone shots, something to think about.

Or...bottle cap.  Seriously, that's what Tony started out with after his industrial accident.  If thimbles allowed him to play guitar as well as he does, maybe something similar would be helpful for S11.  On the other hand, you've probably tried this at some point in the past 46 years, and are tired of people comparing your situation to Tony's, so I'll shut up again.

#72 2014-04-01 19:45:19

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

@ boisei0

Is that an alligator/crocodile on the other side of your keyboard, which looks surprisingly like mine.  big_smile

#73 2014-04-01 20:00:26

TeoBigusGeekus
#! Die Hard

pvsage wrote:

@Sector11:  Man, that sucks.  I have some persistent issues due to old soft tissue injuries, but I can hardly imagine what it would feel like to be in the Tony Iommi club. sad

xero wrote:
Sector11 wrote:

Or...bottle cap.  Seriously, that's what Tony started out with after his industrial accident.  If thimbles allowed him to play guitar as well as he does, maybe something similar would be helpful for S11.  On the other hand, you've probably tried this at some point in the past 46 years, and are tired of people comparing your situation to Tony's, so I'll shut up again.

Who knows, maybe that's what makes him a genious in conky...

Please make Autocad Civil 3D and Archicad work on Linux!

#74 2014-04-01 20:26:57

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

pvsage wrote:

@Sector11:  Man, that sucks.

True it does, but not nearly as bad as some other things that people have to live with. wink

I'm unconscious of how careful I am of it for the most part now.  Tapping something isn't that bad, the 'feeling' builds if constant, so it doesn't happen often - or long.  There is no 'meat' between the skin, that's now scarred, and the bone so ... if I bang it - like I said, "I see white spots PAIN" go cross eyed and dance around the room like oil on a hot skillet.  Then it'll throb for an hour or so.  Doesn't happen as often as it use to, almost an instinct now to protect it I think. smile

Banged it on a bus once when the driver slammed on the brakes ... the others around me thought I must have broken something and there was a real sense of panic for a bit.  Poor driver almost had a heart attack!  Five minutes later we were on our way .. I was the only one hurting!

I never knew that about Tony and I like Black Sabbath!  I have never thought of anything other than learning to live with it, so no yearly shots either.

OK, last on this ... way off topic .. funny incident.

After they sewed up my finger, put it in a metal splint and bandaged it up I couldn't bend my finger at all.  So here's my finger sticking straight out to the front as I'm riding my motorcycle.  The cold from the 'wind' would drive the pain right up to the "funny bone" of the elbow.  I still remember that pain!  The doctor suggested covering it with a condom.  It actually required two dry condoms, not the lubricated kind, over the finger for that to work quite nicely.

One Saturday I drove a friend into town to do some shopping.  While she was in the dressing room trying something on, the lady clerk looked at me as said "Advertising?" indicating my finger ...

Not understanding . . . I looked at my hand  :8 :8 OOPS! :8 :8
... I had forgotten to remove the condoms.  lol lol lol lol

Be excellent to each other!

#75 2014-04-01 20:30:11

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

TeoBigusGeekus wrote:

Who knows, maybe that's what makes him a genious in conky...

Who!  Me?  The Stephen Hawking of Conky?  cool
and thank you

Board footer