SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-09 19:44:26

0day
#! CrunchBanger

why openbox?

fluxbox is lighter than openbox. when a new version comes out?

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2014-02-09 20:34:22

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
Website

Re: why openbox?

Because, corenominal said so.

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..
--> The very new BL forum! <--

#3 2014-02-09 20:45:06

porkpiehat
#! Die Hard

A search of your last few topics shows you have asked or suggested this at least once already. It is easy to replace openbox with fluxbox if that's what you prefer, and you have been given simple instructions to do just that. It's not likely that #! will use anything but openbox, since "The primary aim of the CrunchBang project is to produce a stable distribution offering the best possible out-of-the-box Openbox experience".

"Lighter" is not always "better" for many people, and if you are using "lighter" to mean "uses less memory" the difference between fluxbox and openbox is almost too small to measure.

Or are you asking when a new version of fluxbox will come out?

http://crunchbang.org/forums/search.php … er_id=4766

Last edited by porkpiehat (2014-02-09 20:47:34)

#4 2014-03-04 19:31:22

xero
#! Junkie
Website

i personally use awesome. i was just an apt-get install away.

on my system:
openbox uses 7mb
awesome uses 9mb
fluxbox uses 16mb

which is lighter again?
;D

Last edited by xero (2014-03-04 19:41:30)

▬▬ι═════════-
dotfiles http://git.io/.files

#5 2014-03-10 01:11:10

ew
#! Die Hard

Fluxbox is almost as good as openbox, but just almost.

- apt-mark hold account

#6 2014-03-10 09:47:45

Snap
#! Die Hard

It's up to you. You can use whatever WM you like. Just try by yourself. Exploring and testing WMs is so much fun. But a system has to have one and "the boss" smartly chose OpenBox.  tongue

IMO, OpenBox is one of the best choices available. I've been trying different WMs on #! lately (OB, FluxBox, Compiz, JWM, IceWM plus the ROX thing (tiling is not my cup of tea)) and after testings I always find myself login in back home:  ie, OpenBox. I keep Compiz because I like it, but OB is still my default.

Fluxbox is lighter and easier to configure. Also the transparency is a great feature if you want that, but looks cruder and seems less refined than OB to me. It's a good choice, of course. But...

Last edited by Snap (2014-03-10 09:50:04)

#7 2014-03-10 12:03:27

Iranon
#! Junkie

I've played around with many different WMs too. Not sure lightness is a real issue unless you artificially make it one... anything in this rough weight class should be nimble and snappy.
I think the big thing is configuration syntax and associated trade-off between power and ease of use.

Openbox gets the basics right, having open-ended plaintext for theming, GUI-frontend-friendly xml for functionality... the combination is rather convenient. It's also polished and known to play nice with many external tools.
It does its job well without trying to take over the world, hence its popularity for lightweight mix-and-match DEs.

From my experience, FVWM is far more powerful than most WMs in this weight class and it's my personal favourite. However, the open-ended nature of its configuration syntax has its drawbacks: you won't get polished GUI frontends, and it's very easy to implement something in a buggy/slow/unclean way.
In a way, moving from Openbox to FVWM is scarier than moving from a full-fat DE to Openbox.

Many others are somewhere in between.

LEGO won't be ready for the average user until it comes pre-assembled, in a single  unified look, and glued together so it doesn't come apart.

#8 2014-03-14 02:18:43

Openbox is much lighter than others ,and it's run very fast.By the way ,I hate the desktop and using flow the Windows Opration system.I can run any program by click my mouse everywhere on my desktop.

#9 2014-05-07 09:28:15

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

Saying openbox is lighter than fluxbox is not a fair comparison IMO.  Fluxbox comes with a panel, compositing, and some other features that openbox doesn't.  Therefore, of course openbox will appear lighter than fluxbox.

I haven't played with fluxbox much, but I do know that I prefer Tint2 to any other panel I've seen used with fluxbox.

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

#10 2014-05-07 21:39:32

vrkalak
#! Die Hard

I am an avid Fluxbox WM user ... I am one the Debian-Maintainer for Fluxbox WM
.............................................................................................................................

The Fluxbox Window Manager is closely based on Blackbox WM.

Fluxbox WM and Openbox WM - can use the xorg-system-core, with NO desktop environment.  Much like what Crunchbang and Archbang have done.

Fluxbox is still closely based on Blackbox.  Some say that, Fluxbox is the natural progression of Blackbox.  Fluxbox is a basic Blackbox; with a few more things added for user-friendliness.  Not to take anything away from the base-Blackbox build ... the BB-Devs did an awesome job.  I use many of the BB scripts, themes/styles and apps with Fluxbox -- they seems to be pretty much forward and backward compatible.

Openbox, was also, based on Blackbox but has grown more separate from the BB-base, with using and building it's own configs and apps.  Although, Openbox seems to be growing in popularity, with more Linux OS-distro systems using Openbox - as the default Window Manager.

Registered Linux User: #497030
my DeviantART page
-- #!Crunchbang- Sid "Animal"  (Fluxbox) -- LMDE Fluxbox Edition -- Manjaro-Fluxbox --

#11 2014-05-08 04:45:13

jdonaghy
The Manatee Whisperer

I myself prefer Fluxbox over Openbox, but I also prefer Pekwm over both. I'm a sucker for the lightweight stuff. I try to find the most lightweight solutions for all of my purposes. That said: from my measurements, Fluxbox is not at all lighter than Openbox. And well... Crunchbang is based on Openbox. And I can't see that changing.

Honestly, I'd love to see a distro pre-configged for lightness. Say, Pekwm and Dwm as the default window managers. Conkeror and Dwb as the default browsers. Just the most lightweight/minimalist (while still being usable) apps all around. But that's not what Crunchbang is, I'm afraid. It's just the best OB distro on this planet.

"If you can't control your peanut butter, you can't expect to control your life."
    --Bill Watterson

#12 2014-05-08 05:17:23

jeffreyC
#! Die Hard

If lightness is your main concern, generally JWM uses half as much RAM as OpenBox.

There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people.

#13 2014-05-08 05:17:33

damo
#! gimpbanger

jdonaghy wrote:

Honestly, I'd love to see a distro pre-configged for lightness. Say, Pekwm and Dwm as the default window managers. Conkeror and Dwb as the default browsers. Just the most lightweight/minimalist (while still being usable) apps all around

Better get on over to linuxbbq.org and take your pick smile

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#14 2014-05-08 13:17:44

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

^  What damo said.

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#15 2014-05-08 16:44:28

jeffreyC
#! Die Hard

+1 on the BBQ suggestion, those guys really go minimal.

There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people.

#16 2014-05-08 20:07:25

jdonaghy
The Manatee Whisperer

Yes, indeed. Checking out Pickles (Pekwm) and their CalmWM release. I'd never even heard of that one.

"If you can't control your peanut butter, you can't expect to control your life."
    --Bill Watterson

#17 2014-05-08 20:30:36

porkpiehat
#! Die Hard

#18 2014-05-08 20:56:50

sqlpython
#! Die Hard

I am just happy for the variety of WM out there.
While my #! is either OpenBox or Xfce. My Siduction and Debian Jessie installs are Fluxbox/tint2...
Yeah, variety is Good.  wink
Whenever you get bored with an install just change up the WM and you have a whole new experience.
One of many good reasons BBQ linux's being.

OHCG #!, Jessie,, Siduction-13.1Slackware 14Bridge,, Sabayon 13.4,

Board footer