SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#76 2014-12-23 01:21:04

damo
#! gimpbanger

Re: crunchy-dark-grey, a theme for Waldorf (updated for jessie/Janice)

hhh wrote:

The scrot you posted is very weird, it's like a combo of our 2 themes. And what's up with the outlined buttons in Transmission and Evince? That must be from IcyBlack. Is that intentional?

Rats - schoolboy error 8o :8 . Repeat after me: "I will restart an application after changing the theme" big_smile

Sorry if I scared you! No it looks OK, apart from: The titlebar on Evince, and the base of some buttons are cut off in Evince and Transmission. These are ones like "Cancel", "Open" at the bottom of file dialogs.
I found a fix for this in IcyBlack, but I can't recall atm what it was....

The outlined icons in Evince are being taken from the button outline in the gtk3, because they certainly aren't using my Openbox3 settings. It seems like it is not displaying the WM titlebar, but is replacing/covering it with its own panel sad (I guess the devs know what is best for me  mad )

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#77 2014-12-23 01:33:31

hhh
Cityspeak

Ack, I have a feeling looking into this further won't be worth the frustration. Disabling compositing will prevent the rounded upper corners from overtaking your WM theme, but the min/max/close buttons remain. I have an idea, let's let every program theme itself, I want my desktop to look like Stevie Wonder themed it.

@Damo, I'm seeing the button outlines in all GTK3 apps in jessie w/ IcyBlack, but not w/ crunchy-dark-grey.

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

#78 2014-12-23 01:48:18

damo
#! gimpbanger

hhh wrote:

@Damo, I'm seeing the button outlines in all GTK3 apps in jessie w/ IcyBlack, but not w/ crunchy-dark-grey.

Buttons are supposed to be outlined by design in the gtk3, but not in the Openbox titlebar. Are you seeing them outlined in xfce titlebars?

Here is Evince doing its own thing, and galculator behaving itself
wK4CdbhN.png

(Tell me if you think I'm hijacking your thread BTW - I can move this to the IcyBlack thread)

Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#79 2014-12-23 01:53:24

hhh
Cityspeak

Just in the gtk3 theme, I was wondering if it was intentional. If it is, all good. And no worries about this minor off-topic. Cheers!

#80 2014-12-23 02:56:30

damo
#! gimpbanger

This is the problem with the buttons I am getting with crunchy-dark-grey
aryadWsc.png

I am using images for the borders in my theme and fixed it with (iirc)

.button{
   padding: 3px;
   border-width: 3px; .....
}

It isn't working for your theme though

Regarding the CSD and Evince, I found that (apart from the CSD section in gtk-widgets.css) the titlebar decorations are also affected by

.header-bar .button.image-button {  }

You probably know this better than me anyway - I'm just thrashing around in there!

Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#81 2014-12-23 03:19:31

hhh
Cityspeak

altman wrote:

It should be on next CB Janice Edition .

That's very kind of you, thanks.  smile

@damo, thank you for reporting that. I couldn't see it with the dark colors I'm using and my screen backlight dimmed. Greybird doesn't have this issue, so I'm sure it's fixable. I'll look into into tonight (and the next few if necessary).

#82 2014-12-23 05:19:28

hhh
Cityspeak

@damo, thrashing about in there is what I do, too. Can you confirm that this fix, taken from you, works? In gtk-3.0/gtk-widgets.css, line 203, padding: 5px 4px;

Thanks much, cheers.  smile

Last edited by hhh (2014-12-23 05:54:00)

#83 2014-12-23 12:19:22

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

hhh wrote:

You don't see the difference? Well, in those scrots, gnome-mplayer (also, on my box, transmission-gtk, easytag, meld and system-config-printer) honor my WM theme, while file-roller (also evince, gnome-font-viewer and gnome-system-monitor) remove the WM theme, round the top corners and add min/max/close buttons which I've disabled in the WM theme.

Those are the client side decorations I already mentioned, so I assumed you were talking about other rendering issues.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#84 2014-12-23 14:06:19

damo
#! gimpbanger

hhh wrote:

@damo, thrashing about in there is what I do, too. Can you confirm that this fix, taken from you, works? In gtk-3.0/gtk-widgets.css, line 203, padding: 5px 4px;

Thanks much, cheers.  smile

Yup, that works. Nice one smile

Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#85 2014-12-23 14:24:53

hhh
Cityspeak

Cool, that fix was all you *hands damo a cookie*. Can anyone on waldorf/squeeze see if that fix messes anything else up?

#86 2014-12-23 14:38:03

damo
#! gimpbanger

Fires up waldorf usb, copies in modded crunchy-dark-grey theme, starts Transmission and Evince....

All is good! smile

hth @hhh

Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#87 2014-12-24 02:44:08

hhh
Cityspeak

It definitely does, thank you damo.

I did hours (5? 6?) of research on Client Side Decorations today, what a waste of time. tongue Dialog windows render normally because they've disabled CSDs for that (yeah, it should be CSD but that just reads weird to me). M. Clasen had a bunch of blog posts on it a few months ago but those pages render blank now ...
http://blogs.gnome.org/mclasen/ (still readable for now in Google's cache). WebUpd8 has a deb of gtk3-nocsd and instructions, I had success restoring WM borders with the .desktop file method but the min/max/close buttons remain. They're supposed to be removable via gtk.css or gsettings/dconf-editor but I had no joy. Eff it and eff gtk3, I'm not putting any more time into it and I see why linuxbbq is doing sid spins without it.

@Alad, I'd be interested in your nurse script, feel like doing a walk-through tutorial to save me some time/make it more idiot proof?

#88 2014-12-24 03:09:14

flaneur
#! Member

hhh wrote:

.... M. Clasen had a bunch of blog posts on it a few months ago but those pages render blank now ...
http://blogs.gnome.org/mclasen/ (still readable for now in Google's cache). [snip] Eff it and eff gtk3, I'm not putting any more time into it and I see why linuxbbq is doing sid spins without it. [snip]

I hope The Vanishing is accidental and not by design.

I thought gtk3 is supposed to be pure CSS and can't understand why each update has to break stuff.

#89 2014-12-24 03:14:01

Alad
Software Satan

hhh wrote:

It definitely does, thank you damo.

I did hours (5? 6?) of research on Client Side Decorations today, what a waste of time. tongue

I know right, spent a few hours on theming as well that should have been spent in sleeping. Makes me think on buying a mac or going back to Raleigh. neutral

@Alad, I'd be interested in your nurse script, feel like doing a walk-through tutorial to save me some time/make it more idiot proof?

Download and make executable

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/AladW/scripts/master/nurse
chmod +x nurse

Edit nurse to fix gtk3:

ed nurse

replacing the PKG INFO header with

### BEGIN PKG INFO
pkg=gtk+3.0
ver=3.14.5
rel=1
dist=unstable
pool=$(echo $pkg | cut -c 1)
source="http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/$pool/$pkg/${pkg}_$ver-$rel.dsc"
patch="http://tnsp.org/~ccr/gtk3/gtk_3.14_disable_csd_envvar_20141001.diff"
### END PKG INFO

If it works (doubt it 8o ), you'll get a bunch of gtk3 packages - you likely don't need the dev/dbg/udeb ones.

Last edited by Alad (2014-12-24 03:15:29)

#90 2014-12-24 10:35:01

pvsage
Internal Affairs

OK, I finally got around to giving this theme a chance.  I love the colors!  I prefer my darks a bit darker, but the balance is very easy on the eyes; I'll probably cut back the base, fg, and text colors a bit this weekend.

The theme itself is very decent, and a good fit with the CrunchBang aesthetic.  The colors are even better with the Adwaita-dark engine though! cool  I've cobbled the colors into the Adwaita gtk.css (basically just import the dark engine binary and override the default colors) and added the Greybird gtk2 theme (high congruence between its widgets and the Adwaita defaults).  The app-specific stylesheets (e.g. thunar) that come with Greybird wanted to give me trouble; for now, I've just told it to ignore them, and everything looks just dandy so far.

Screenshot of my frankentheme with hhh's color scheme, Thunar showing gtk2 and file-roller gtk+:
Screenshot_12242014_05_33_22_AM.jpg
EDIT:  I don't have anything gtk+ that shows scrollbars right now; I guess for now you'll have to take my word for it that the ones in the Greybird Murrine theme match Adwaita.  Maybe I'll install spacefm-gtk3 and post a scrot of that soon.

EDIT2:  Yes, I know the Waldorf Openbox theme doesn't match at all...

Last edited by pvsage (2014-12-24 10:44:05)

#91 2014-12-25 20:02:03

hhh
Cityspeak

@pvsage, I'm glad your finding this theme useful in creating your own. I take it you'll just change the color-scheme of your OB theme when you've finalized your palette?

@Alad, thanks a lot. Your script wiped my hard drive.

I kid!

On first run it complained of needed dependencies quilt debian-keyring devscripts curl fakeroot libdistro-info-perl equivs. I installed those which pulled in nearly 50 other packages (YMMV, I'm on straight Debian jessie, not #!) and ran it again. This time it threw an error message first saying...

E: Unable to locate package quilt debian-keyring devscripts curl fakeroot libdistro-info-perl equivs

but then continued to run, pulling in another 132 packages (I should have enabled deb-src and ran apt-get build-dep gtk-3-0 first, oops). When all was done, I ran ./configure make (make took a long time) and sudo make install, and put export GTK_DISABLE_CSD=1 in /home/hhh/.profile, logout and in. No joy. Tried the variable in .bash_rc and /etc/profile, no joy. Ran dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -b and let it build deb packages overnight and installed libgtk-3-0_3.14.5-1_i386.deb, reboot, no joy. So I gave up. But thanks for the easy instructions, much obliged!

#92 2014-12-26 01:30:28

Alad
Software Satan

Ugh, nurse still has her nasty streak. Okay, you shouldn't have to run configure etc., it's supposed to build those packages by itself (13 in fact 8o ). Anyway last I tried (which was 3.12 or so) the patch worked, maybe try to put the vars in /etc/environment or ~/.xinitrc (Xorg should inherit vars from the login process, but meh).

In the end I've recompiled GTK3 apps (just emacs in my case) to use GTK2 instead of forcing GTK3 to behave. Though GTK2 isn't all that great either.

Last edited by Alad (2014-12-26 01:35:04)

#93 2014-12-26 04:11:27

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@hhh:  Thanks, I'm mostly sticking with your colors while I get all the bugs worked out of Greybird first.  Seems it's gonna be a little harder to get properly tweaked than I thought, so I might end up making a separate greybird-dark archive when all is said and done.  Context menus were the first problem to crop up; commented out the custom shading in that style definition, and they're already a lot better, so I'm thinking most of the fixes will be subtractive.  Looks like buttons - especially the ones in the CrunchBang logout dialog - will be my next hurdle.

Oh, I noticed there's a border around the scrollbar slider in Greybird that isn't in Adwaita.  Hopefully the Murrine engine will let me remove that somehow, or at least shade it so it matches the rest of the slider...

...don't get me started on the tab shading in Iceweasel...defies all reason & logic...

EDIT:  By the way, for the matching OB theme I'll probably start with something that's already a bit flatter than Waldorf.  No gradient, no bevel...

Last edited by pvsage (2014-12-26 04:14:38)

#94 2014-12-26 05:06:03

hhh
Cityspeak

Good luck, IIRC matching the scrollbars was the worst part.

Alad wrote:

...it's supposed to build those packages by itself (13 in fact 8o ).

It created 2 archives (gtk+3.0_3.14.5.orig.tar.xz gtk+3.0_3.14.5-1.debian.tar.xz), a folder named gtk+3.0-3.14.5 and a dsc file.

#95 2014-12-26 19:55:02

Alad
Software Satan

^ Okay, weird. I have no debian system right now to investigate, so I'll just mark it as broken. Thanks for testing.

#96 2014-12-29 20:19:48

Alad
Software Satan

Tried the patch again with the latest GTK 3.14.6. It seems now that disabling CSD disables ALL GUI ELEMENTS. While you can use CSS to get rid of the pesky shadows, the window controls are unusable outside GNOME. e.g. minimizing a GTK3 application makes it disappear and you have to use killall from the console.

GNOME!  mad  mad  mad  mad

#97 2014-12-29 20:59:24

damo
#! gimpbanger

Alad wrote:

GNOME!  mad  mad  mad  mad

Either big_smile, or 8.(

Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#98 2014-12-30 01:47:02

flaneur
#! Member

pvsage wrote:

Oh, I noticed there's a border around the scrollbar slider in Greybird that isn't in Adwaita.  Hopefully the Murrine engine will let me remove that somehow, or at least shade it so it matches the rest of the slider...

Is there a separate thread for your theme? I tweaked Greybird to get "flat" scrollbars without borders around the slider. I can post the code there or wherever else is appropriate.

#99 2014-12-30 06:42:32

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ Not yet; feel free to start it. big_smile

Be excellent to each other!

#100 2014-12-30 16:47:23

hhh
Cityspeak

Alad wrote:

Thanks for testing.

My pleasure!

A note to others, in my attempts to patch GTK 3, apps that use it started crashing when using their file chooser with the error "GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema 'org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser' is not installed". I was able to fix that by reinstalling libgtk-3-0, libgtk-common and libgtk-bin (I think the last was the most important, just a guess).

Board footer