SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-01-20 05:47:09

hhh
Cityspeak

Re: crunchy-dark-grey, a theme for Waldorf (updated for jessie/Janice)

^

hhh wrote:

Includes GTK2/GTK3/... Transmission (GTK3) and Thunar(GTK2) are shown (in the screenshot) for comparison.

That was my whole point in this, I wanted the GTK2 and GTK3 apps on my wheezy system to look more unified than the other themes I've seen. Well, also that I wanted a dark theme and, very importantly, to be able to just change the color values at the top of the two GTK files and not have to go digging to come up with a new color scheme. corenominal's wheezy theme is one of the best I've seen at being unified, but I abandoned using that as my starting point as it got problematic for me when I tried to darken it.

However, this has been written for GTK 3.4, and I'm expecting the menus and other elements of this theme to not render properly in GTK 3.6. I haven't tested, but that's what all the themers have complained about. Themes have broken again with 3.8 and again with 3.10.

I chose Greybird to base this on as it's been updated through v. 3.10, and I think everything is supposed to be backwards compatible. We'll see. If so, eventually I'll transfer everything over, but getting even this far involved many hours of hair-pulling, so all in good time.

Last edited by hhh (2014-01-20 06:04:52)

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#27 2014-01-20 07:51:21

pvsage
Internal Affairs

hhh wrote:

Well, also that I wanted a dark theme and, very importantly, to be able to just change the color values at the top of the two GTK files and not have to go digging to come up with a new color scheme.

Speaking of, which color value controls the handle (for want of a better term) on dockable panels within GTK2 windows, like the one under the menubar in lxappearance?  I'm having a hard time changing that color.  I'm guessing I'd also have to dig a little to get to the menu colors as well.

#28 2014-01-20 08:53:12

nore
>2^9

I guess handlebox takes its background from bg[NORMAL]  (and bg{ACTIVE]), grips are fg[NORMAL]. In crunchy-dark-grey's gtkrc line 664:

class "GtkHandleBox*" style "toolbar"

Maybe you should make a new style for it?

#29 2014-01-20 09:57:20

Naik
#! Die Hard

using the updated version right now and am loving it!
everything works great. although i liked the rounded scrollbar handles more...
but most of all i have to thank you for pointing at  userContent.css to manage problems with dark themes or simply change everything that some "creative" guy found necessary, but i am not  ]:D

*kaum macht man es richtig, funktioniert es sofort*

#30 2014-01-20 09:58:28

pvsage
Internal Affairs

It's been a long time since I've delved into gtkrc; I'd forgotten how much variability there can be in how color definitions can be distributed within different themes.

EDIT:  No offense intended to hhh or to the Greybird theme on which his is based, but I've decided to use one I'm more familiar with (the Waldorf theme modified by ew for 3.8 compatibility) for my own "base" theme.  Thanks for the push though; I may be starting a thread for my base theme in a few days. cool

Last edited by pvsage (2014-01-20 17:20:39)

#31 2014-01-21 13:05:00

Naik
#! Die Hard

^ could you point out where to get this modified waldorf theme? i`d like to stay true #! but ditched waldorf for gtk3.8 so this would help a lot.
Right now i am happy with crunchy-dark but i know that some day i`ll get bored and need a change (no offence)..

greetz -naik

*kaum macht man es richtig, funktioniert es sofort*

#32 2014-01-21 16:25:58

damo
#! gimpbanger

Naik wrote:

^ could you point out where to get this modified waldorf theme? i`d like to stay true #! but ditched waldorf for gtk3.8 so this would help a lot.
Right now i am happy with crunchy-dark but i know that some day i`ll get bored and need a change (no offence)..

greetz -naik

Is this the one? Crunchy-Darkness

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#33 2014-01-21 20:35:51

pvsage
Internal Affairs

There's a download link in this thread:
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. … 45#p320445
His Unico theme deviates a bit from Waldorf though, mostly in terms of rounded ends on sliders and progress bars.  I think the Unico theme in hhh's set looks closer to the original Waldorf theme, and AFAIK ew's Murrine theme is a direct copy of the original, so...

OK, that should make things even easier! 8o  Future efforts on my part will be based on the original Waldorf Murrine theme and hhh's Unico theme based on Greybird.

EDIT:  After comparing screenshots with Transmission and Gnome-mplayer using the default Waldorf theme, the modified theme from ew, and the Greybird-based theme that hhh posted at the beginning of this thread, I have concluded that the Greybird-based Unico theme is close enough to the original Waldorf one to be an acceptable GTK 3.8 compatible substitute.

Last edited by pvsage (2014-01-22 02:50:03)

#34 2014-01-22 03:59:40

hhh
Cityspeak

re: GTK 3.8 , I have jessie/testing installed on a partition now, so I can see about updating this.

@pvsage, even if this comes too late, nore is right about the dock handles, and I'm sure they get their color from the theme bg_color, but I'm not sure which line. In your new theme, you removed them? It's hard to tell.

For GKT2 menus... if you mean the menubar, it's the section starting at line #313, if you mean popupmenus, it's above that starting at #280. Post a screenshot if it's something else.

If I'm hunting for a selector through trial and error, I'll remove @bg_color or shade(@bg_color... or whatever and replace it temporarily with "red" (or red w/out quotes, where appropriate)...

bg[SELECTED]      = "red"

Last edited by hhh (2014-01-22 05:39:03)

#35 2014-01-22 04:43:49

pvsage
Internal Affairs

I used Waldorf as the starting point for the GTK 2 theme, which uses the base color for handleboxes and buttons; I think Greybird just distributes base and background a little differently in its color definitions.

Almost done with the GTK 2 theme actually...getting cross-eyed on the gtk.css...

#36 2014-01-22 07:51:31

pvsage
Internal Affairs

My apologies to anyone who visited the other thread I linked to earlier and tried to download from ew's Dropbox account; apparently the files have been removed. 8.(  I should have checked the link before posting. :8

#37 2014-01-22 20:20:39

photonucleon
Quantum Geek

@hhh: I'm having trouble downloading the file from that link; it redirects me to a download page, so I click the download button and although it says it's going to download, nothing actually happens except loads of ad pages appear sad

- Ai! Aníron Undómiel. -
- Some things are certain. -
- Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta. -

#38 2014-01-22 22:47:16

hhh
Cityspeak

Are you sure you have the right link? I just checked and it's working here. Here's the link again...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/k16jd … rey.tar.gz

Maybe the Wookies have restrictions on Mediafire where you are. Post back if it still doesn't work and we'll figure something out.

-edit- a pop-up ad window did appear for me, but the tar.gz still downloaded. Also, a "repair your download" link appears where the big green button was.

Last edited by hhh (2014-01-22 22:51:02)

#39 2014-01-23 17:53:38

photonucleon
Quantum Geek

Hmmm, that link didn't work for me either, the same thing happened when I used my computer to attempt the download (and the 'repair' button didn't do anything either), but I downloaded it to my iPod, emailed it to myself, and then successfully installed it smile Whatever problem must have been at my end of things...

I can definitely say that this is the best dark theme I've ever used - I love it, thanks for sharing it! big_smile

Last edited by photonucleon (2014-01-23 18:02:45)

- Ai! Aníron Undómiel. -
- Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta. -

#40 2014-01-25 00:30:56

hhh
Cityspeak

^Thanks!

I've updated this theme to work in GTK 3.8 and be backwards-compatible with earlier versions. Got to the first post for the download.

-edit- @Unia... I used the git version of Greybird for this, so it should work fine w/ GTK 3.10. If you try it, let me know what you see (open file-roller and/or transmission-gtk, check their Properties or Preferences windows, etc...). Thanks!

Last edited by hhh (2014-01-25 06:44:10)

#41 2014-01-25 09:12:00

vic
#! by Default

Download worked for me. Thanks.

Time to move on!#

#42 2014-01-25 12:34:25

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

hhh wrote:

-edit- @Unia... I used the git version of Greybird for this, so it should work fine w/ GTK 3.10. If you try it, let me know what you see (open file-roller and/or transmission-gtk, check their Properties or Preferences windows, etc...). Thanks!

Upon a quick glance, I notice a few things that seem off:
25-01-2014-1317.png

1) The buttons in the dialog aren't position properly
2) Checkboxes don't really match the theme
3) It's hard seeing the difference between a disabled item and a non-disabled item (in the dialog, the upload combobox is enabled while the download combobox is not)

And in this screenshot:
25-01-2014-1321.png

1) The stackswitcher buttons (those two on the left in the header bar) don't look as nice imo (EDIT2: apparantly this does not show in the screenshot... I guess the application needs to have focus to show. Anyway, the border is colored in the light gray color which just seems off)
2) The two buttons on the right look as if they're pressed
3) The close icon on the far right doesn't get a border around it on hover, is this intended? I think it's a bit hard to see it's actually being hovered when just the X changes color slightly.

EDIT: But overall, the theme looks nice! Finally a proper dark theme that matches with my terminals  wink

Last edited by Unia (2014-01-25 12:36:43)

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#43 2014-01-25 12:56:24

photonucleon
Quantum Geek

This doesn't bother me too much, but there's a little problem with Synaptic and this theme. When you search in the quick search box, it initially looks like this (before any text is entered) :
1390653790.png

And then, when search text is entered, Synaptic changes the background of the text entry field to a pastel yellowish colour, which makes the pale grey of the search text impossible to see - there is text in the search bar in this image:
1390653903.png

As I said, it doesn't bother me greatly, but just to let you know that this issue exists smile

- Ai! Aníron Undómiel. -

#44 2014-01-26 16:52:06

hhh
Cityspeak

@photo, I don't use Synaptic, but I installed it with --no-install-recommends to check but there was no quick-filter there. I'll do a check on my testing partition later with a full synaptic install and see if there's a quick fix. Thanks for the report. I don't know what bug fixes I can provide, I'm afraid I'm no GTK guru.

@Unia, I'm going to upgrade my testing partition to experimental today (for fun!) so I can more clearly see what you're talking about, how different the hover states are from GTK2 and from Greybird, and whether I can do anything about it. BTW, you do have the unico engine installed (just checking)?

That button-cut issue was reported here...
https://github.com/shimmerproject/Greybird/issues/41

... which got bounced to here...
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=710909

... which got "resolved" by adding a fix to... gnome-screenshot? 8o Switch to Adwaita and see if it's a GTK issue or a theme issue. Again, whether I can do anything is up in the air.

The checkboxes are image files in /gtk-3.0/assets, so changing them to fit better means editing them in GIMP. As I change my theme colors all the time, I didn't bother with that. You've given me food for thought, though.

There's also a bug report on button hover states...
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/2558

... which got bounced to here...
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=711343

... which somehow got resolved by fixing... gnome-screenshot? *facepalm*  8.(

#45 2014-01-26 17:09:19

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

I don't have unico installed, but everything looked fine without it? In any case, I'll try again later. This week I have my exams, so not much time me thinks.

The buttons in transmission look fine using Adwaita

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#46 2014-01-26 17:19:44

hhh
Cityspeak

Greybird requires unico (for gtk3) and murrine (for gtk2) to render as intended. I didn't mention it in the OP because #! has those OOTB. Good luck on your tests!

#47 2014-01-31 20:24:27

photonucleon
Quantum Geek

We have been having a little discussion about this theme and .Xsession-errors over on the French #! forums:

http://crunchbanglinux-fr.org/forum/vie … 296#p40296

- Ai! Aníron Undómiel. -

#48 2014-01-31 23:32:42

hhh
Cityspeak

Correction: gtk3-engines-unico is only required up to gtk v.3.2, the dependency has been removed for later versions (according to the greybird git).

@photo, Je ne parle pas français, mais ... the errors are a known bug and should be fixed by installing gkt2-engines-pixbuf (again, according to the greybird git site and my tests). They might be lxappearance specific. I've only used lxappearance with jessie and sid, but it has bugs. I've switched to using a combo of gtk-chtheme and adding manual entries to .gtkrc-mine.

There are gtk3 errors too, which are problematic in that fixing the error in a later gtk3 version creates errors in earlier versions. Choose your poison.

@Unia, GNOME 3.10 in experimental is still unusable (to me, at least). I currently have a sid partition running, but even pulling in libgtk3 packages isn't practical, since some gtk3 apps are at 3.10 while most are still at 3.8, and downgrading libgtk3 back to 8 is a pain. I know, because I've successfully done it twice now. I've seen the same bugs you've mentioned using greybird-master from git, but haven't reported it at the greybird git since I can't reliably test. Feel free to mention it there, if you feel like it. PS: I hope your exams went well! Also, I have tweaked the button hover values in the gtk3 theme but haven't uploaded it since the cut-off issue is still there. I can upload it for you if you want, let me know.

I'm still gradually checking other themes for the best base to use, but greybird is the best for what I want so far. If anyone comes across anything, post it here!

-edit- @photo, oops! I'm seeing a pixbuf/pixmap error too, I'll fix it over the weekend and create a dropbox account to avoid mediafire problems. BTW, theme error and warning messages like that don't hurt anything, other than filling up that log file, AFAIK. Many themes generate them.

Last edited by hhh (2014-02-01 02:37:49)

#49 2014-02-01 10:40:06

photonucleon
Quantum Geek

I guessed that the errors weren't too harmful - in fact, I didn't notice them until it was pointed out over on le forum français...

EDIT: the discussion deepens en français: http://crunchbanglinux-fr.org/forum/vie … hp?id=2610

Last edited by photonucleon (2014-02-01 17:12:07)

- Ai! Aníron Undómiel. -

Be excellent to each other!

#50 2014-02-04 16:00:58

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

hhh wrote:

@Unia, GNOME 3.10 in experimental is still unusable (to me, at least). I currently have a sid partition running, but even pulling in libgtk3 packages isn't practical, since some gtk3 apps are at 3.10 while most are still at 3.8, and downgrading libgtk3 back to 8 is a pain. I know, because I've successfully done it twice now. I've seen the same bugs you've mentioned using greybird-master from git, but haven't reported it at the greybird git since I can't reliably test. Feel free to mention it there, if you feel like it. PS: I hope your exams went well! Also, I have tweaked the button hover values in the gtk3 theme but haven't uploaded it since the cut-off issue is still there. I can upload it for you if you want, let me know.

Too bad to hear that; although everything is usable: I have been using your theme since I tested it.

I'm pretty sure I passed for all three exams big_smile Now I'm enjoying a week off with my girlfriend in Sweden, hence this late reply. I would like to have the new version for testing wink

Board footer