SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-17 09:30:36

hhh
Cityspeak

crunchy-dark-grey, a theme for Waldorf (updated for jessie/Janice)

Please download, test for bugs and comment. Thanks!

-edit- Jan 14, 2015 latest fixes added, see post #102.

Includes GTK2/GTK3/Openbox/#! notifications (xfce4-notifyd)...

crunchy_dark_grey.jpg

Download link...
https://dl.orangedox.com/xCs7czovfGqWuO … rey.tar.gz

The background/foreground colors are from the dark theme from CrunchBang 9.04, and that's the Openbox theme I started with, too. The GTK themes are based on Greybird from The Shimmer Project. The notification theme is based on Xfce's default theme. The wallpaper in the screenshot is fabric-tile-1.png and the icons are Faenza-Dark-CrunchBang, both from the Waldorf repository. Transmission (GTK3) and Thunar(GTK2) are shown for comparison.

ISSUES
~Place in /usr/share/themes or else the auto-mnemonics (the underlined letters when you press the Alt key that show you the shortcuts) don't work right in the GTK3 theme, they show all the time instead. It's the same with the Waldorf default theme (on my system, at least).

~As with all light-text themes I've used, input fields in Iceweasel/Firefox are hit or miss. I get around this via userContent.css. Navigate to ~/.mozilla/firefox/xxxxxxxx.default/chrome, rename userContent-example.css to userContent.css and add the following to the bottom of the file...

input {
    -moz-appearance: none !important;
    background-color: white;
    color: black;
}

textarea {
}

select {
}

You can set the colors to whatever you like using hex codes.

To make this theme appear in Chrome/chromium, see post #10.

TIPS (and my personal preferences)
~Select the notification theme in the Openbox menu, Settings>Notifications>settings and set Opacity to 100%.

~Don't like the dotted arrows in the Openbox menu? Open the theme's openbox-3 folder, put the xbm files into the images folder
and reconfigure or restart Openbox.

~A quick way to make Terminator match is to check "Use colors from system theme" in its Preferences>Profiles>Colors. Or, if you want to use the theme's background color instead of its base color, set the custom colors to #e6e6e6 (foreground) and #3c3c3c(background).

~Disable menu and tooltip opacity and enable notification and tooltip shadows in the Openbox menu, Settings>Compositor>Edit Compositing Settings (menu-opacity = 1.0; put a # before shadow-exclude = [ "n:e:xfce4-notifyd" ]; change the tooltip line to tooltip = { fade = false; shadow = true; opacity = 1.0; })

~Install qt4-qtconfig, run qtconfig and set the GUI style to GTK+ in the Appearance tab.

~Log out, or even reboot, to get rid of any theme glitches.

Please test this theme and post your feedback. I plan to do a bluer theme that matches the default Waldorf tile background and these forums, but not if this one's full of bugs and not usable. That's all I can think of for now. I hope you like this theme, cheers!

-edit- I forgot to mention that this theme's GTK3 files don't link to ///resources so changing the color values is easy enough using gcolor2 and a text editor. Edit /gtk-2.0/gtkrc and /gtk-3.0/gtk.css (and the Openbox and notification themes too, if you like).

Last edited by hhh (2015-01-19 13:31:09)

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2014-01-17 11:05:33

zirak

Re: crunchy-dark-grey, a theme for Waldorf (updated for jessie/Janice)

smile  smile  smile  smile  love it! I'll install the theme tonight!

e.faix se.la marfa

#3 2014-01-17 12:05:01

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

hhh, great work and certainly not bug-ridden, the main problem is the chrome look for me.

#4 2014-01-17 13:18:55

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

Could you please take a look at making it work with GTK 3.10? I'm not sure what you'll have to change but I do know that I'd love to run it!  big_smile

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#5 2014-01-17 14:39:54

xero
#! Junkie
Website

b e a u t i f u l !

great work!

▬▬ι═════════-
dotfiles http://git.io/.files

#6 2014-01-17 15:02:33

Naik
#! Die Hard

I love it!

But there seem to be some errors:

sudo lxappearance wrote:

** (lxappearance:6987): WARNING **: Pixbuf theme: Cannot load pixmap file /usr/share/themes/crunchy-dark-grey/gtk-2.0: Bilddatei »/usr/share/themes/crunchy-dark-grey/gtk-2.0« enthält keine Daten*

(lxappearance:6987): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_width: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed
(lxappearance:6987): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_height: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed
(lxappearance:6987): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_width: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed
(lxappearance:6987): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_height: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(*imagefile [...] contains no data)
I have no idea what that means but it doesn`t seem to stop the theme from working.

EDIT: Just rebooted my mashine and everything is working now!
I didn`t try the ob-theme for now, because i love my own and it fits in so well, that there is no need for a cange... (see in screenshot-thread)
great work! -naik

Last edited by Naik (2014-01-17 21:28:22)

*kaum macht man es richtig, funktioniert es sofort*

#7 2014-01-17 15:23:15

anlem
#! CrunchBanger

Very good work! I'm using this theme with my Sid install and everything looks just cool. Thanks so much!!!  smile

#8 2014-01-17 15:53:55

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

Very nice indeed ...

How do I open it? 2014_01_17_12_42_10_230x165_Sector11.jpg .. just joking

Will look at it in a bit.

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#9 2014-01-17 16:09:03

damo
#! gimpbanger

Playing with it now smile

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#10 2014-01-17 22:04:40

hhh
Cityspeak

Yo peeps, thanks for checking it out and for the feedback!

Thanks to the Arch Wiki's page on Firefox, I've got the fix for Iceweasel/Firefox. This is what you should have in userContent.css...

input {
}

textarea {
}

select {
}

That will give you unstyled input boxes in many cases (this forum, for instance), but at least everything will be legible. You can set the colors to whatever you like using hex codes.

brontosaurusrex wrote:

... the main problem is the chrome look for me.

My bad , I should have checked it with Chrome/chromium as so many people use it, I just naver have on the desktop (though it rox on my smart-phone). The fix...

~In Preferences (upper-right 3-lined icon)>Settings>Appearance>Use GTK+ theme and put a check next to Use system title bar and borders.

There is one bug, the pop-up blocker notification has a yellow background making the light theme-text almost unreadable, but it displays the same message every time, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Unia wrote:

Could you please take a look at making it work with GTK 3.10?

sid's only at 3.8! You crazy Arch users... I finally have a testing partition space on my desktop, so if my distrohopping takes me to 3.10, I'll have a look and PM you. OT and going back to our previous discussion, here's another rant on GTK3 from 2012 that links to most everyone else's old rants, it makes for some depressing reading...
https://igurublog.wordpress.com/tag/gtk3/

BTW, I should have mentioned that this theme's GTK3 files don't link to ///resources, so changing the color scheme is easy peasy, you sleazy crunchers. PEACE!

ps; @Sector, HAH! poor forgotten open sourcers

Last edited by hhh (2014-01-17 22:25:13)

#11 2014-01-17 23:33:28

user77
#! CrunchBanger

Looks great! Downloading..

#12 2014-01-17 23:40:31

damo
#! gimpbanger

All OK so far - thanks for the effort you have put in.

...except that I find sliders are always too narrow or low-contrast, so I'll end up hacking the code anyway wink

I look forward to the bluer one smile

Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#13 2014-01-17 23:49:27

iann
#! Die Hard

I still like scroll buttons lol

#14 2014-01-18 00:19:53

hhh
Cityspeak

I found a bug; when copying/cutting text in, for example, a text editor using the mouse right-click context menu, the selected area changes back to the base color. I'll upload the fix, or edit /gtk-2.0/gtkrc, line #103 to...

base[ACTIVE]      = @selected_bg_color

Also, the file diff program Meld is useless with this theme, I don't know if there's a fix.

re: scollbars, what a freaking PITA it is trying to get them uniform in GTK2 and 3. I'll mess with it some more and make note of where the changes go in the different files. Slider width and stepper buttons is trivial, but color matching is a nightmare.

Last edited by hhh (2014-01-18 00:26:10)

#15 2014-01-18 00:48:10

pvsage
Internal Affairs

I've tried the theme and think it looks lovely.  It's actually a little light for my taste, but I understand that's, like, my opinion man. wink  I'm looking forward to deepening some of the darks this weekend.  (What can I say?  One of my favorite tropes is the Sacred Dark.)

#16 2014-01-18 07:05:23

hhh
Cityspeak

I agree with damo that the scrollbars are too dark when not highlighted, and the highlight doesn't need to be so drastic. I fixed that and made the sliders look even more uniform, grab the fixed theme from the original link.

@damo, for wider sliders, download the latest and then edit /gtk-2.0/gtkrc line #63 and /gtk-3.0/gtk-widgets.css line #27. The standard width is 15.

@iann, steppers, as they're called, won't look uniform because Unico and Murrine render them differently (I think, notice how Adwaita in 3.4 doesn't even attempt to make the scrollbars alike?) Regardless, to add them download the latest and edit the same files as above, lines #66 and #67 to value 1 in GTK2 and lines #31 and #32 to true in GTK3.

@pvsage, thanks and I hear ya'. My original aim was to have a uniform GTK2/GTK3 theme where I could change the color scheme fairly easily (the answer to your question in the other thread, iann), and then it went to gray-scale  to make it easier to spot differences, and then I thought the Bangers might like it so I tried to make it fit in with the rest of default Waldorf (hence narrow scrollbars with no steppers). Grab the latest before you start tweaking, the scroll fixes are important IMO.

pvsage wrote:

... that's, like, my opinion man.

Caucasian.gif

PS: For GTK2 apps to your theme edits, change to another theme and back. For GTK3, close the app and restart it. If still no go, try a logout, or else a reboot. I've seen some weirdness with theme edits, and it's been reported elsewhere.

Last edited by hhh (2014-01-18 12:38:30)

#17 2014-01-18 13:13:35

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

Only inside a GNOME environment will GTK3 themes automatically update when changed. This is because gnome-settings-daemon is used to pick up on these changes, and in your Crunchbang setups, I don't think it's running.

I look forward to seeing that PM  wink

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#18 2014-01-18 20:29:53

damo
#! gimpbanger

I agree with damo that the scrollbars are too dark when not highlighted, and the highlight doesn't need to be so drastic. I fixed that and made the sliders look even more uniform, grab the fixed theme from the original link.

@damo, for wider sliders, download the latest and then edit /gtk-2.0/gtkrc line #63 and /gtk-3.0/gtk-widgets.css line #27. The standard width is 15.

Thanks - I was already on the case smile

Here's a weird one though...Iceweasel starts with the wider sliders, then a new tab or a refresh opens up with narrow sliders again
I'll see what a restart does......

LATER...same result

Last edited by damo (2014-01-18 20:33:22)

Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#19 2014-01-18 21:44:57

hhh
Cityspeak

It's working here, but change the value of line #59 in GTK2 too and post back.

#20 2014-01-19 00:04:09

hhh
Cityspeak

Unless damo reports back or else I or someone else catches anything, the final version is out. I removed the gradient and padding from the scrollbar trough, both of which were annoying the hell out of me, matched the trough colors between GTK2 and 3 and commented out the redundant slider-width line that I suspect was damo's problem.

Please download from the original link, remove the old version, run it for a while and post back, I'd be grateful. Many thanks!

#21 2014-01-19 00:40:31

damo
#! gimpbanger

Lookin' good so far ..... smile

Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#22 2014-01-19 04:02:17

Dobbie03
Resident Metaller

@ hhh, the theme looks fookin great, wish I used Openbox to check it out!

#23 2014-01-19 08:46:25

vic
#! by Default

Lovely looking theme hhh.

Time to move on!#

#24 2014-01-19 09:35:46

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@Dobbie03:  The GTK themes should be usable in other WM/DEs, shouldn't they?  I seem to recall them all being accessible in XFCE/XFWM...

Be excellent to each other!

#25 2014-01-20 05:01:13

Dobbie03
Resident Metaller

pvsage wrote:

@Dobbie03:  The GTK themes should be usable in other WM/DEs, shouldn't they?  I seem to recall them all being accessible in XFCE/XFWM...

GTK3 though? The only to find out is to try big_smile

Board footer