SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-12-30 06:43:21

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

NSA Reportedly Intercepting Laptops Purchased Online

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-12-30 08:55:28

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

Re: NSA Reportedly Intercepting Laptops Purchased Online

Well, this articles look like a heat, there is no single photo of such device to be seen, there are also no instructions on how to find such device, which can mean either: a. http://www.theverge.com is on the NSA side, or b. They don't know what they are talking about, c. They post something heaty because they think that will make them look cool < pick one.

(I have noticed that journalism has gone from bad to useless in latest years and it's not just web part of it.)

#3 2013-12-31 16:12:05

Tovarich Volk

I seem to remember the British Military giving a directive for electronics suppliers to not utilise Chinese made Huawei microelectronics components for the very same reasons. Huawei was started by an ex-PLA officer who allegedly maintained close connections with the PLA.

#4 2013-12-31 22:34:17

jeffreyC
#! Die Hard

In past years I have seen reports of electronics from China coming from the factory with viruses already installed.

When it comes to governments the default seems to be you cannot trust them.

There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people.

#5 2014-01-01 02:59:03

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

brontosaurusrex wrote:

Well, this articles look like a heat, there is no single photo of such device to be seen, there are also no instructions on how to find such device, which can mean either: a. http://www.theverge.com is on the NSA side, or b. They don't know what they are talking about, c. They post something heaty because they think that will make them look cool < pick one.

(I have noticed that journalism has gone from bad to useless in latest years and it's not just web part of it.)

Actually, The Verge article refers to an article that appeared in Der Spiegel, a German newspaper.

Linux User #586672

#6 2014-01-01 03:00:03

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

jeffreyC wrote:

In past years I have seen reports of electronics from China coming from the factory with viruses already installed.

When it comes to governments the default seems to be you cannot trust them.

That actually happened with electronics purchased for the military branches in the U.S.

Linux User #586672

#7 2014-01-01 23:15:11

SailorTears
Website

The original story broke at Der Spiegel.

Not just laptops and desktops - routers, servers and cellphones too. "To protect and defend the Constitution" - HA!

Last edited by SailorTears (2014-01-01 23:41:59)

It is by caffeine alone that i set my mind in motion...

#8 2014-01-01 23:31:57

porkpiehat
#! Die Hard

SailorTears wrote:

The original story broke at De Spiegel.

It's "Der Spiegel" (which means "the mirror") not "De Spiegel" (which means ... nothing).

And I have said it before, and will say it again here -- if you think they don't know everything you do on line (if they care) you are not paying attention.

i_know_youre_listening.jpg

Last edited by porkpiehat (2014-01-01 23:35:29)

#9 2014-01-01 23:45:21

SailorTears
Website

Corrected. My fingers not once ever left my hands.

It is by caffeine alone that i set my mind in motion...

#10 2014-11-03 02:40:40

m1rr0r5h4d35
#! Member

I will agree, but the method seems ridiculous. The article does not indicate the scope, but if you were to try something like this on a fairly large scale, I think it would be a logistical nightmare. Not saying it's not possible, just seems like it would be more trouble than it's worth, unless they had very specific targets.

#11 2014-11-03 07:36:18

ohnonot
...again

if theverge quotes spiegel online, there must be something to the story.
if even microsoft labeled the agency an "advanced persistent threat", that certainly deserves some attention.

tl;dr - the retro-fitting hardware approach doesn't seem feasible for large amounts of devices, but who knows whether they're retro-fitting. (maybe the retro-fitting is just a warm-up and they want to get into the production lines with that)

btw, it's not the first time the nsa (or some other 3-letter-us-american-agency) tried the hardware approach, see link in my sig (moxie...).

Last edited by ohnonot (2014-11-03 16:37:51)

#12 2014-11-03 10:58:01

jdonaghy
The Manatee Whisperer

No kidding, eh? I love malware! I hope they've included some good stuff. The only thing I really miss about Windows...

Last edited by jdonaghy (2014-11-03 11:12:37)

"If you can't control your peanut butter, you can't expect to control your life."
    --Bill Watterson

#13 2014-11-03 11:58:28

TicTac
#! Junkie

@jdonaghy... Funny!   tongue

@ohnonot... The NSA's actually been working on advanced Methane gas detection equipment and plan early 2015 deployment. The objective? To compile a vast database and discern the "true" identity of anyone who's had lunch at Taco Bell.   lol

... Come on, this article's got nonsense written all over it.

"Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."   

The Dude.

#14 2014-11-03 16:46:01

ohnonot
...again

"Der Spiegel" has been (for 60 years?) a totally serious, social-democratic "real" journalism weekly (political) magazine in germany.

an article there has infinitely more credibility than some you-name-it online tabloid.

of course, i can already hear someone reply that nothing is credible and there's no objectivity bla bla.
well, i for one am neither existentialist nor nihilist, and if i have to make a choice between believing "Bild" (german tabloid) and believing "Der Spiegel", it will always be "Der Spiegel".

#15 2014-11-03 16:47:51

CSCoder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

Meh, Just Take out the hard drive, insert an SSD, install a *nix, and you're set!  8o

#16 2014-11-03 16:59:00

TicTac
#! Junkie

The NSA are signal analysts, nothing more and nothing less. They have zero law enforcement power and couldn't care less how many bong hits half the world takes after a hard day's work. I truly don't believe I'm nearly important enough for them to waste their time on but if they wish to keyhole my system... Good luck and more power to um', as doing so will NOT make their lives anymore exciting. hehehehe lol

"Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."   

The Dude.

#17 2014-11-03 20:02:27

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

TicTac wrote:

The NSA are signal analysts, nothing more and nothing less. They have zero law enforcement power and couldn't care less how many bong hits half the world takes after a hard day's work. I truly don't believe I'm nearly important enough for them to waste their time on but if they wish to keyhole my system... Good luck and more power to um', as doing so will NOT make their lives anymore exciting. hehehehe lol

+1, well said that man!

#18 2014-11-03 20:46:37

Different55
#! CrunchBanger

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
TicTac wrote:

+1, well said that man!

+2 I, too, heartily agree with what has been said in the above post.

Sorry about that. I accidentally posted my password in IRC and I had the same password set here so they changed my signature.

#19 2014-11-03 21:38:00

TicTac
#! Junkie

Head_on_a_Stick & Different55,

Wow, thanks guys and that may be the ONLY time anyone will find something I say here... Helpful ( always learning ) Promise I won't let it go to my head.  tongue

The Dude.

#20 2014-11-03 22:25:25

jeffreyC
#! Die Hard

TicTac wrote:

Sorry but that is pure disinformation.
If the NSA are only signal analysts why have they had tanks (armored fighting vehicles) for well over 20 years?

They are larger and better equipped than the CIA, and for decades they were nearly secret, their nickname was No Such Agency.

There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people.

#21 2014-11-03 23:07:09

TicTac
#! Junkie

@jeffreyC,

Tanks? That's certainly news to me. The NSA doesn't have battle tanks... They're geeks and any muscle comes from the US Military, the FBI or CIA.

"Disinformation" implies I've an ax to grind one way or the other... I don't. Do I dig secretive agencies sneaking around? Of course I don't but I'm a 50 year old, recently retired Nurse and have spent the better part of 30 years working within a level one trauma unit... I know how unkind and violent this world can be, I've literally brought it home under my fingernails at night. I love my 14 yr old Daughter, my lovely Wife, my family and my friends... If what the NSA's doing saves JUST ONE innocent life or prevents 4000 innocent human lives from burning in buildings and airplanes, then I'm willing to put up with an occasional look-see.

The Dude.

#22 2014-11-04 01:41:55

Different55
#! CrunchBanger

jeffreyC wrote:
TicTac wrote:

Sorry but that is pure disinformation.
If the NSA are only signal analysts why have they had tanks (armored fighting vehicles) for well over 20 years?

They are larger and better equipped than the CIA, and for decades they were nearly secret, their nickname was No Such Agency.

I'm going to need some source on that claim. What would they even do with tanks? They can't exactly go to war on their own.

Last edited by Different55 (2014-11-04 01:42:07)

Sorry about that. I accidentally posted my password in IRC and I had the same password set here so they changed my signature.

#23 2014-11-04 01:57:03

CSCoder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

TicTac wrote:

@jeffreyC,

Tanks? That's certainly news to me. The NSA doesn't have battle tanks... They're geeks and any muscle comes from the US Military, the FBI or CIA.

"Disinformation" implies I've an ax to grind one way or the other... I don't. Do I dig secretive agencies sneaking around? Of course I don't but I'm a 50 year old, recently retired Nurse and have spent the better part of 30 years working within a level one trauma unit... I know how unkind and violent this world can be, I've literally brought it home under my fingernails at night. I love my 14 yr old Daughter, my lovely Wife, my family and my friends... If what the NSA's doing saves JUST ONE innocent life or prevents 4000 innocent human lives from burning in buildings and airplanes, then I'm willing to put up with an occasional look-see.

I would LOVE to hear some of these instances that actually happened.

#24 2014-11-04 02:13:53

TicTac
#! Junkie

Conversely, I can't imagine it hasn't happened CSCoder4ever... The proof's in the pudding. I'm not crazy about the need for the NSA but the notion they're sneaking around our bedroom windows, is shear lunacy. I'm simply not that important nor am I that exciting to itch or worry about it.  smile

The Dude.

Be excellent to each other!

#25 2014-11-04 06:55:48

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Board footer