SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-10 22:26:15

thorbs
#! Member

Powersave on chrunchbang

Does anybody have knowledge about how to make a laptop with chrunchbang less power hungry. Is the LTP program compatible with crunchbang? http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/improve- … fe-in.html

I have a older lenovo, so I am dealing with the constant fan problem, is there a best practice for over comming this on crunchbang?

Thanks.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-11-10 22:41:47

damo
#! gimpbanger

Re: Powersave on chrunchbang

Search for the powersave script

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#3 2013-11-10 23:03:48

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

damo wrote:

This one matey?

https://github.com/Unia/powersave

big_smile

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#4 2013-11-11 00:01:57

dura
Bloated Gimp

Enter:

lspci 

uname -a

and post the output. It will give a clearer indication of your machine and how power might be saved.

TLP, rather than LTP, is good and I've used it before, and you can make modifications, but I think most can be offset with a kernel fitting your machine rather than having tlp running, etc.

My lenovo runs lovely

#5 2013-11-11 02:23:21

twoion
Emerald Caffeine

Unia wrote:
damo wrote:

This one matey?

https://github.com/Unia/powersave

big_smile

for i in /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video*/brightness; do echo 0 > $i; done

I don't know, powersaving for me does not mean getting visually impaired O.o

@thorbs:
You should poke around in the powersave script and take what you need. Also, powertop

sudo apt-get install powertop

gives you a nice UI to toggle powersaving options for your hardware.

At the fan problem you mentioned: You have to make use of the packages

lmsensors
fancontrol

which let you regulate the fan speed in software based on temperature readings from your CPU thermal sensor. As this is different from letting hardware controls do the job, and you (unlikely) could damage your hardware by manually switching your fan off for too long, make sure to read all the available documentation!

Important Lenovo/ThinkPad specific note: For lmsensors/fancontrol to be able to control your fan, you have to manually switch on this functionality in the kernel module. For this purpose, run the following as root (don' t miss the >>):

echo "thinkpad_acpi fan_control=1" >> /etc/modules

and re-boot or re-load the kernel module thinkpad_acpi. This is for ThinkPads, I don't know if you own an IdeaPad (do you? I have no idea how IdeaPads are supported in Linux). With this preparation, you want to follow a guide on setting up lmsensors with fancontrol. You can adapt the one from Archlinux: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fan_Speed_Control or google around.

Because ThinkPad ACPI support is a bit quirky and there might be more options for you to explore, the documentation on the thinkpad_acpi kernel module is required reading: https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kerne … tags/v3.12, section "Fan control and monitoring: fan speed, fan enable/disable".

Last edited by twoion (2013-11-11 02:30:31)

Tannhäuser ~ {www,pkg,ddl}.bunsenlabs.org/{gitlog,repoidx}

#6 2013-11-11 13:06:02

thorbs
#! Member

Thanks for all the reply, there is a lot to look at here.

I have a thinkpad t61 with 3gb ram. Sorry for not posting that in the first post.

Tlp seems to have helped somewhat, but also dimed the comp. If I want to look at it, does any one know which directory I should look in?

#7 2013-11-11 16:47:26

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

@twoion, that is highly laptop/setup dependable. On my old laptop, the screen was bright enough when I put the brightness to 0. On my new, which is in another branch on the same repository, you can see that I don't.

After all, the script is meant for my own setups and are supposed to be tweaked by you, should you want to use it.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#8 2013-11-11 22:39:38

dura
Bloated Gimp

Hardran's power savings script in this forum is the best I've found, with powertop.

Screen consumes by far the most. Some graphics can use up a lot if kernel doesn't like it.

There's a few threads about power savings hanging around too.

Last edited by dura (2013-11-11 22:46:18)

#9 2013-11-12 18:26:47

zubcho81
#! CrunchBanger

The best option is to undervolt your cpu. There is a guide if you search for it. My Dell Latitude D600 consumes 10-11w on battery. Almost 4 hours on 45840mWh  battery.  (New from China) This is very good for this laptop smile New models are consuming 3-4w on battery when they are undervolted. ( 6 or more hours work away from the power outlet )

Dried frog pills
As their name suggests, these are pills made chiefly from frogs, specifically the extremely poisonous ones that live in the vivarium at Unseen University and handled by the first-year students, so that if they kill one of them, not too much education has been wasted.

I use them daily! tongue

Board footer