SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-03 20:55:26

HALO
#! Member

[SOLVED]Openbox places sub-menu and opening media files.

In the places menu from right clicking the "desktop" in openbox, I can swiftly access my media files, which I prefer to opening Nautilus or Thunar. My only issue is that for some reason it wants to open mp3s as text files in Geany. I googled around and could not find a clear concise answer. I tried a few things of my own but was not successful.

How would I be able to tell it what to do? What script/s would I have to edit?

Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated, thanks ahead.

Last edited by HALO (2013-11-04 01:38:21)

I am up to neither good nor bad, but what serves me.
                                                                                                    follow me @twohalos

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-11-03 22:21:56

dura
Bloated Gimp

Re: [SOLVED]Openbox places sub-menu and opening media files.

Click on that file type.

Properties

Change opens with

#3 2013-11-03 22:53:13

HALO
#! Member

dura wrote:

Click on that file type.

Properties

Change opens with

Already did that. I have them set for deadbeef. They open as intended everywhere else, but only through this pipe menu do they open with a text editor. Image files open as intended with their viewer, text and config files etc open with Geany, and so on...

follow me @twohalos

#4 2013-11-03 22:58:34

HALO
#! Member

OK- so the issue is that anything in my shared NTFS partition gets executed as program from this menu for some stupid reason. I can change these properties if they are in my home folder, but not from my other partition...

And this apparently only affects the behavior from this menu for some reason. If I drag a file over from home folder that I have changed the properties to, they revert back to their original properties.

Any takers?

EDIT: So this seems to be a mixed deal with pipe menu trying to execute mp3s and ends up opening them as text files/ I need o figure out a way to change execute permissions for an NTFS formatted drive. I did ls -l and everything in that partition is set rwrxrwxrwx. When I bring the file over from there to home I can change the execution properties and mp3s open with deadbeef.

I'm guessing the solution is either screw with fstab or change whatever is scripted in that pipe menu that is trying to execute mp3s. I imagine fixing it on the script side would be better as this is only an issue from this menu, when I click an mp3 from a file manager, it does what it's supposed to.

???

Last edited by HALO (2013-11-04 00:19:46)

follow me @twohalos

#5 2013-11-04 01:43:54

HALO
#! Member

OK- the fix was for me to go into editing etc/fstab and change my partition mount permissions by adding umask=022,noxec, for NTFS.

This will stop me from executing binaries in the future while giving RW-R--R-- pemissions to files, RW-RW-RW to directories (which I don't see any reason why I would execute binaries from a shared NTFS partition as is), but it stops the pipe menu script from trying to execute media files as binaries which defaults to them opening up in a text editor (the logic behind why it would open with a text editor rather than it's default program as set in permissions is beyond me).

I'm calling it solved, but I think a better solution would be to stop the pipe menu script from trying to execute everything from that menu....???

If anybody knows how to do that please post,

Thanks.

Last edited by HALO (2013-11-04 01:45:58)

follow me @twohalos

#6 2014-01-27 13:35:37

PyvesQ

Hi,

had the same problem and was looking for a solution but haven't so far.

Solved the problem by myself. Below is HOW-TO:

You just have to comment the line 40 of the cb-places-pipemenu script (which can be found in /usr/bin).

Line 40 is :

[ -x "$1" ] && exec "$text_editor" "$1"     # comment out this line if you don't want to edit executables instead of executing

Hopefully that will do the trick for you.

Cheers.

Last edited by PyvesQ (2014-01-27 13:46:04)

#7 2014-01-27 22:08:32

HALO
#! Member

boom. thanks

follow me @twohalos

#8 2014-02-18 17:06:12

johnraff
nullglob
Website

PyvesQ wrote:

Hi,

had the same problem and was looking for a solution but haven't so far.

Solved the problem by myself. Below is HOW-TO:

You just have to comment the line 40 of the cb-places-pipemenu script (which can be found in /usr/bin).

Line 40 is :

[ -x "$1" ] && exec "$text_editor" "$1"     # comment out this line if you don't want to edit executables instead of executing

Hopefully that will do the trick for you.

Cheers.

Sorry to be late replying to this. (I wrote the places menu.) Line 40 was put in so that you can click on an executable shell (or python, perl...) script and edit it instead of executing it. That's the behaviour I usually want. An executable file has no "default program" - it runs itself. That an mp3 file should be flagged as executable is wrong, and I think changing the mount options in fstab was the right way to go.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

Board footer