SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-22 17:08:11

pvsage
Internal Affairs

DDoS FAQ (generously contributed by canpolat)

FAQ
I freshly installed Crunchbang. Is there anything I should pay attention to?
After the installation, a terminal window will pop up to run the cb-welcome script. Press "q" to quit. You can run the cb-welcome script later, once the DDoS attack is over.

Why doesn't cb-welcome work?
It downloads packages from Crunchbang repositories which are currently under attack. Due to this dependency, cb- welcome script will fail.

What is cb-welcome?
It's a convenience script that installs some additional software on your Crunchbang system. There is no harm in not running it.

Are there any mirrors that I can use instead of the official repositories?
No.

Does the ongoing attack impact my running Crunchbang system?
No. It only has an impact on the repository servers. Therefore, updates from that server will not be possible. Other than that you can safely continue using your running Crunchbang system.

I want/need to run an update on my sytem, what should I do? Is there a step-by-step guide?
(EDIT:  See this thread. - pvsage)

Are there any other known problems related to the attack?

• When updating from Wheezy, APT will probably balk at updating tint2. To work around this, purge the currently installed versions of tint2 and tint2-conf, then reinstall tint2

• There's a good chance you'll see the Debian swirl in GRUB.  You haven't released the magic smoke. APT simply pulled updates to GRUB and linux-base from Debian.

When will the DDoS attack end?
We don't know. It all depends on the people attacking and the technicians at Linode.

What is a DDoS Attack?
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ddos_attack

Is there anything I can do to help?
What we can do as forum members is quite limited. We simply need to be patient while the attack lasts and enjoy the forums. If you don't need to install new packages or update your system, the attack shouldn't have any impact on your daily use of Crunchbang.

I have this technical problem that I think is related to the server being down. What should I do?
Post it to the forums as usual. We'll try to help as much as we can.

Should I panic?
Definitely not smile

Board footer