SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-15 15:00:42

saneks
#! Die Hard

[solved] How to get rid of LXDE?/change DE session

so I installed crunchbang on this old laptop for a friend. set it to autologin. put LXDE on top of it.
then he didnt want lxde but pure openbox. no problem I say. wrong.

LXDE has its own menu entry for desktop-session settings (extended options), which seem not do anything with slim.conf and might be the source of my problem.. when I take out openbox-lxde in that menu and just write openbox or openbox-session, I get a mix of lxde with conky and rightclick menu..

It always boots by default to lxde. so I edited slim.conf to have "openbox-session,lxde-session".. thinking it should boot into openbox now by default. no. so I took out the the auto-login option (thinking without it maybe bypasses slim?) - so I have a login screen now and can press F1 to change sessions. the default session, however, is still LXDE - although it is second in line in slim.conf. why is that?

then I went to openbox and apt-get removed lxde and said autoremove after. it took out some packages, but I saw lxpanel and all the other stuff was not removed. and the default login is still lxde, eventhough it is not even in slim.conf anymore. on the login, I can still choose between openbox and lxde.

when I log out from either session and log back in without hitting F1, I always come back into LXDE. so no chance the system might remember the last one I used..

so I presume default-booting to lxde is managed by yet another file.

I would like to keep both actually, but want openbox to be default... or to remember the last choice that was made last session to be the new default..

however, right now it is impossible for me to just bypass lxde at all. only by changing session with F1 and then logging in in Slim, which is obviously sub-optimal.

any help appreciated.

Last edited by saneks (2013-10-21 17:23:49)

eee701 user & other lap/desktops

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-10-15 15:25:01

GekkoP
#! Junkie
Website

Re: [solved] How to get rid of LXDE?/change DE session

Try:

sudo update-alternatives --config x-session-manager

And pick openbox. Then reboot.

#3 2013-10-21 17:25:56

saneks
#! Die Hard

thanks, that worked! - turned out I have even two entries for startxlde, one for openbox and one for lxsession - what's the difference between lxsession and startlxde? I also sometimes saw openbox-session and openbox - does either of those restore last session with open windows?

eee701 user & other lap/desktops

#4 2013-10-21 18:28:05

GekkoP
#! Junkie
Website

I'm not on lxde nor openbox, but you could look at those scripts and see for yourself what they do.
Try for instance:

which startlxde

than open it with your favorite text editor (or just go with: sudo cat /path/to/startlxde).

Board footer