SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2013-10-07 22:29:24

saneks
#! Die Hard

Re: One nixers epic journy to downsize the Waldorf iso to fit on a 700mb!

my good friend brought his girlfriend's laptop to "refresh" it..

when I saw the box' design, I hoped it might have a upgraded 1 gig of ram.. but I acctually expected 512MB. nope.
windows xp showed after 5 minutes of booting, coughing, and starting the very same virus behaviour that I saw 5 years ago on her boyfriend's laptop that I tried to purge out in my circle of friends.. then it showed it has merely 240 instead of 256?  wow. all-time-low for my linux/crunchbang experience (beside that 128mb RAM pc where I installed slitaz lo-ram 2 years ago

she wanted desktop icons in linux (will install lxde),  but they never even showed up in xp while I ran it just to see the system specs and operated 10 minutes there just to see the system specs. so I shut down the mess. popped in @CBizgreat! inofficial live CD (cause USB did not work and I couldn't be bothered to find a freakin diskette to copy plop on it) - and it was fine live and the install was fast and easy.

thanks a lot for saving me tons of time. this dinosaur now is fully usable again. will give her a super-light browser, maybe internet will be usable on that machine somehow. else it will be only for music, writing, movies, mail.. but it is enough, so why change a running pc when you can change the running system?

did not download it from the pirate bay link but from the link that was supported earlier. I promised to report.. so first time I tried, no problems here. great to have a #! cd for really old systems.

chapeau!

eee701 user & other lap/desktops

Be excellent to each other!

#27 2013-10-07 22:38:58

saneks
#! Die Hard

@CBizgreat!

it would be freakin awesome if you could put a little something in the first post of this topic..

the OB menu is still normal #!, but some packages are removed.. but which ones?

please put a line of "apt-get-install [everything to have the normal #! software-selection]" in your first post - it would be great to have a one-liner to get to an normal crunchbang install with all menu-items that are in the official crunchbang, but are missing in the "light-version"... so we can have a usual crunchbang install for our old boxes that only read CD's and get the missing bits via the repository.

Last edited by saneks (2013-10-07 23:56:36)

#28 2013-10-08 20:43:40

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Good 2 hear Saneks ...

Packages removed ... abiword, goffice, vlc, iceweasel, evince, aptitude, gimp and samba. See that for a list of everything that was purged. Would just reinstall the ones above, many of the packages that were specifically purged are likely to get reinstalled as a dependency-etc.

Vll!

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#29 2013-10-08 23:23:47

saneks
#! Die Hard

thanks for your reply. the only thing that gave me headaches was the missing samba, cause server access never worked for me on older crunchbang versions (statler times), but was finally implemented in waldorf  - and I was wondering if there was something removed from "behind the scenes" - stuff that does not show up in the menu. but since it is mostly the heavier programs that need just a simple apt-get, it is very easy for everyone to revive all the dinosaurs now. - running this 256mb 2ghz celeron machine with 65mb after boot. played with lxde, still very usable. (not with iceweasel ofcourse, but midori performs nice). great job!

edit: I can report that even live session worked like usual (just read in the other post that it would not)

Last edited by saneks (2013-10-08 23:32:51)

#30 2013-10-09 19:18:55

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

CBizgreat! wrote:

etc.

Wondering whether Isomaster might not have been an easier way.

From ArchBang to SlackBang | Project SlackBang

Say no to bugs. - It's not a bug, it's a worm.

#31 2013-10-09 20:42:49

porkpiehat
#! Die Hard

^ There are probably several easier ways, and several harder ways. No one else was willing to do anything except complain about the lack of a CD-sized iso, so CBizgreat stepped up and gave it a shot. Well done.

Last edited by porkpiehat (2013-10-09 20:43:41)

#32 2013-10-09 23:19:01

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

^ Awww shucks ... thanks. wink

Did dork around with Isomaster ... didn't look promising to me. Along w a bunch of other possibilities. Some of which may've turned out easier. People don't have to worry about the creation process involved ( unless they want to ... see the link posted), it's already done and ready to go. Download link is still working, as far as I know.

Mentioned the common sense things someone would do with any iso, md5 check, decent burn util and speed etc. Other than that the iso should install fine, shrugs. Anyway ... hopefully eventually Corenominal gets around to putting out an official 700mb or less iso.

Vll! smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-10-09 23:23:17)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#33 2013-10-10 19:12:06

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

porkpiehat wrote:

^ There are probably several easier ways, and several harder ways. No one else was willing to do anything except complain about the lack of a CD-sized iso, so CBizgreat stepped up and gave it a shot. Well done.

Ah, well, this was not meant in a disparaging way, just...wondering. CBizgreat might have tried it and it did not work and this would have been good to know if one wanted to attempt this himself. Or on the other hand, why make it harder than needs to be? Anyway, all my machines have USB and installing from stick works fine there so this was a theoretical question. Thanks for contributing a lighter iso to help those who need it!

From ArchBang to SlackBang | Project SlackBang

Say no to bugs. - It's not a bug, it's a worm.

#34 2013-10-10 20:07:21

xero
#! Junkie
Website

toss the iso up on http://linuxtracker.org/ and i drop us the link. i'll seed it, along with the other 1000x distros im already sharing  ]:D

▬▬ι═════════-
dotfiles http://git.io/.files

#35 2013-10-10 20:28:04

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Thanks Barnabyh ... didn't take offense, though thanks again to Porkpiehat for the encouraging words too.

Honestly didn't spend a ton of time trying to get familiar with Isomaster. Mounted the iso, looked around ... seemed to be getting nowhere fast, so went another route. So Isomaster may very well work, could've just been impatience or me = user error. wink

Also thanks Xero ... will follow that link later and perhaps upload. Dsl connection is in business use atm, a massive upload would bring it to a crawl ... arggh! Another download source would be nice for folks who want the iso though.

Vll! fellows. smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-10-10 20:29:43)

#36 2013-10-10 20:34:06

xero
#! Junkie
Website

CBizgreat! wrote:

will follow that link later and perhaps upload. Dsl connection is in business use atm, a massive upload would bring it to a crawl ... arggh! Another download source would be nice for folks who want the iso though.

np.
but that's what's great about torrents. once the swarm amasses, you share the burden of seeding with lots of others big_smile

▬▬ι═════════-
dotfiles http://git.io/.files

#37 2013-10-11 05:39:32

johnraff
nullglob
Website

( cough cough )

CBizgreat! I hope you don't mind me mentioning this here, but there is another option for people who can't boot from usb or dvd - this netinstall script.

Your iso respin method is fantastic and has other possibilities, but as always, Linux is about choice, right?

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#38 2013-10-11 10:11:53

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

+1 John big_smile

It's actually all your fault fellow nixer. Saw that how to you posted and got me chewing over how I'd go about doing it. Thought it'd be easy = WRONG, turned into a real pain n the <blank> big_smile That post you made looks good to me John and there's always room for more good info about gnu/nix.

Vll! smile

#39 2014-02-13 08:50:11

weareua

CBizgreat!
TU for crunchbang lite!
it was very helpful for me.
on 11-year`s old  p4-1.7ggz, 756ram have no problems with it!

#40 2014-02-13 13:33:51

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Good deal man, feels good to know somebody got use from the time/trouble.

Long live Windows 8! Yeah right ... Vll! smile

#41 2014-02-15 21:16:07

RacerBG
#! Member

The whole idea about CB on single CD sounds great!

#42 2014-04-25 22:41:16

dbvolvox
#! CrunchBanger

Just acquired an old Advent laptop, model 7006, Pentium P4 1.8 Ghz, 512Mb RAM, 30Gb HDD, WiFi via a Belkin USB Dongle. The Waldorf Lite CD install went straight through, everything worked! Installed, Iceweasel, Icedove, LibreOffice, Evince. Result is 3.1 GB of disk in use, 87Mb of memory at rest. Whole install including complete update was 2 hours.

Chalk up another one CBizgreat!

#43 2014-11-30 06:27:54

winosdonotmarch

Great!
after several attempts to get waldorf installed from an usb to no avail - always hung, never got into the boot manager - i have used this stripped down version.
I put your image on a CD and everything (live-session and intallation) went very smooth.
Thanks!

Board footer