SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#51 2013-09-14 16:10:16

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Re: The Official "Show Snowpine Your P****s" Thread

^ You know there are bat wings, right? ]:D

EDIT:  You've probably already seen this one.
funny-monalisa-pictures_4848598223946300.jpg

Last edited by pvsage (2013-09-14 21:08:37)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#52 2013-09-15 02:24:28

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

pvsage wrote:

@chillicampari:  "Respect" is in the same neighborhood as "love and tolerate".  Welcome to the herd!

For those of you who have that uneasy feeling when you see ponies, I'm pretty sure most bronies experienced the same thing at the beginning.  I know that in my case, it was a matter of overcoming a lifetime of societal gender policing..."only little girls like ponies", "men aren't supposed to feel feelings", that kind of thing.  If you manage to get past that, "manly tears" will be shed.

Why thank you pvsage! There really isn't a better message than "Love and Tolerate".

I am completely with you on gender policing and societal constructs. When I was growing up with my brother we were lucky enough that our parents didn't care which one of us was playing with Barbie or Spider-Man or Atari or the Star Wars Playset or whatever as long as we were quiet and out of the way. It was other people (including extended family) who cared if my brother wanted to take one of my Barbies with him somewhere, or if I borrowed his Pac-Man t-shirt and wore it to school. Which was sort of foreshadowing attitudes we'd both run into later in life, but that's sort of tl;dr. 

And ponies are awesome.

#53 2013-09-15 03:54:07

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Maybe you've heard about pony/furry/comicons.  There's a FiW clip that I had missed before because it isn't actually part of the abridged series based on "At The Gala".
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtuKJzeNctE[/video]
I kinda figured they were like this, and bloggers just spin the shizzle out of them.

EDIT:  By the way, in that clip...I'm Spike. sad

Last edited by pvsage (2013-09-15 04:13:10)

#54 2013-09-15 04:20:17

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

Oh god that's hilarious. I've worked smaller regional comicons in the past as vendor/booth help (my husband still helps out with that and anime), but really haven't been to anything like The Convention.

Last edited by chillicampari (2013-09-15 04:22:49)

#55 2013-09-15 04:27:45

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ Vendor support?  You must've seen so much Rule34. yikes

#56 2013-09-15 04:37:22

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

Haha! You have a PM.

#57 2013-09-15 18:34:37

codingman
#! Junkie

pvsage wrote:

^ "How do you people make these?"  Yeah, but I wasn't sure you were being serious.  They're Flash sprites, just like the ponies in the show; there's a Pony Creator "game" that many bronies use for their OCs.  I'm pretty sure S11 used that for the #! pony, and I'd bet that's what was used for the Linux Ponies on DeviantArt as well.

I got it now. I thought you people were just epic Inkscape and GIMP'ers!

U iz not goin to getz an anzer frm me if u tip lik dis  mad

#58 2013-09-15 19:22:57

CSCoder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

codingman wrote:

I got it now. I thought you people were just epic Inkscape and GIMP'ers!

there is a Version 3 that just released, but it gets a big "Meh." from me personally.

#59 2013-09-15 20:06:56

falldown
#! Samurai

I gimped mine.. Didn't know of a pony creator!

#60 2013-09-15 21:08:25

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@CSCoder4ever:  Didn't know about Version 3; kinda disappointed that he dropped the mains/tails from the show.

I'm sure a lot of the fanart is created with different tools, as there are many OCs in PMVs (like AMVs, but with ponies) that are unlike anything you could do in Generalzoi's game.

#61 2013-09-15 21:40:10

CSCoder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

I agree, that's what made the first one great anyways.
also, generalzoi is a ma'am  tongue

#62 2013-09-15 22:33:39

ew
#! Die Hard

chillicampari wrote:

I am completely with you on gender policing and societal constructs. When I was growing up with my brother we were lucky enough that our parents didn't care which one of us was playing with Barbie or Spider-Man or Atari or the Star Wars Playset or whatever as long as we were quiet and out of the way. It was other people (including extended family) who cared if my brother wanted to take one of my Barbies with him somewhere, or if I borrowed his Pac-Man t-shirt and wore it to school. Which was sort of foreshadowing attitudes we'd both run into later in life, but that's sort of tl;dr. 

And ponies are awesome.

I agree with you, but for me it`s not a gender-issue, it`s more like I feel that the ponies are for kids, not for adults. I would be just as suprised if a grown woman watched "My Little Ponies", as I would be if a man watched it. But hey, it doesn`t hurt anyone, and there are very much that people do, that I can`t wrap my mind around. Like collecting stamps, coins, napkins, comic-books, match-boxes or you name it. But then again, many people wouldn`t understand why I keep a stack of old pc`s, still have my recordplayer and vcr, and why I still have my first cell-phone. This one:
150px-Nokia_3110.jpg

lol

- apt-mark hold account

#63 2013-09-15 23:10:22

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

^ I can understand that. In my case, though I am mature, I still like a lot of things I did as a kid, and collect vintage toys, watch cartoons and play pinball (on the PC though nowadays). And it's good to have an outlet for escapism once in a while. I think if I stop doing those things, I won't feel mature with a balance of fun, I will feel old.

That is one badass Nokia you got there! I actually prefer "dumb" phones myself. :-D

#64 2013-09-15 23:29:59

pvsage
Internal Affairs

ew wrote:

I would be just as suprised if a grown woman watched "My Little Ponies", as I would be if a man watched it.

...and yet nobody batted an eye when Michael Bey and Stephen Sommers made big-budget films based on Hasbro's franchises targeted at little boys; in fact, I seem to remember the general adult public eagerly anticipated those films.  Part of the cultural bias is that entertainment intended for little girls must be inferior to entertainment for little boys; FiM subverts this with some high-quality writing.  To me, it doesn't matter that they're My Little Ponies; they could just as well have been Care Bears, Trolls, Strawberry Shortcake, Lisa Frank...

On a side note, some of the voice talent in FiM was carried over from the G3 series (which is almost universally panned); I suppose this shows just how important writing and directing talent are to the final product.

#65 2013-09-15 23:31:45

ew
#! Die Hard

chillicampari wrote:

^ I can understand that. In my case, though I am mature, I still like a lot of things I did as a kid, and collect vintage toys, watch cartoons and play pinball (on the PC though nowadays). And it's good to have an outlet for escapism once in a while. I think if I stop doing those things, I won't feel mature with a balance of fun, I will feel old.

That is one badass Nokia you got there! I actually prefer "dumb" phones myself. :-D

I`m not against fun, but it`s different things that is fun for me now. I did all those things when I was a kid, but they left me somewhere in the teens when girls, bikes &cars, and beer and booze got more important(not together for the most part), and the only thing I continued doing, was to play soccer. Which I still love to do, and I also love to watch it. Go Liverpool big_smile

Edit: I forgot to say that linux is the escape for me. It`s the only thing I can do, that blocks everything else out. My wife tells me that I`m totally unreachable when I`m at the pc, and for the most part, she`s dead on...

Last edited by ew (2013-09-15 23:37:30)

- apt-mark hold account

#66 2013-09-15 23:48:33

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

Actually, whimsical might have been a better word than fun. I also like retro things in general (old radio gear, vintage clothing, etc.). We still have a Laserdisc player and every so often I watch Star Wars Original Trilogy on it. And our turntable still gets almost daily use.  :-D

Yep, with Linux it's pretty easy to get into the "zone" with. My husband says pretty much the same thing as far as being unreachable. When I was working in IT/Tech it'd take a while to switch gears.

Last edited by chillicampari (2013-09-15 23:54:44)

#67 2013-09-16 00:32:33

ew
#! Die Hard

@pvsage

It`s nothing wrong in liking things that our culture regards as girly, whether it`s cartoons and animated movies targeted at girls, or  teary drama-films targeted at grown women. It`s just not my preference. I like the usual boy/guy-stuff, and I find the girly stuff extremely boring. But that`s just me, there`s nothing wrong in having other preferences. If I had a girl, I probably would have tried to get her to like soccer, fishing, bmx, longboard and all that stuff, just because I could have participated in that with a genuin interest, instead of having to pretend to like jazzballet, showjumping(horse) or syncronized swimming..., so if the enviroment at all plays a role, my girl would become a tomboy, and my boy would become just a boy...

But personally I doen`t think that the enviroment has much to do with it. It has been researched, and even with the exact same enviroment and stimulans, a larger percent of the boy-babies will pick cars instead of Barbie-dolls, and vice versa. That`s just a matter of fact, whether we like it or not. But of course, in this we have all kinds of variations, and it`s nothing wrong with a boy playing with dolls or a girl playing with cars, but it`s not what most of them would choose, if not influenced at all...

You can`t blame all on the "cultural bias". Some of this are we born with, and there are differences between the female and the male brain, even if we strip away any cultural or enviromental influence...Even thoug this doesn`t apply to all, it applies to a average of each gender.

- apt-mark hold account

#68 2013-09-16 02:25:03

pvsage
Internal Affairs

There's just one problem with that theory, ew:  It's impossible to completely rule out the influence of cultural bias without completely removing the child from all gender-typing influences.  This kind of cultural isolation is so uncomfortably close to The Forbidden Experiment that researchers won't touch it.

There have been some intriguing theories presented recently regarding biological differences between the sexes and the tendencies toward Fight or Flight vs. Tend and Befriend behavior, but these depend largely on the production of androgens or estrogens, which obviously isn't a factor until the onset of puberty.

EDIT:  By the way, this seems to be a good place to continue this sidebar.

Last edited by pvsage (2013-09-16 03:38:16)

#69 2013-09-16 03:10:36

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Back on-topic:
2555118456_d65ebb56a0_m.jpg

#70 2013-09-16 03:51:25

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

@pvsage, well said. Edit- and a good read behind the link you posted.

And more ponies! I've always thought carousel ponies were cool. Some of the artwork is really nice.

el0YfEVs.jpg

Larger image behind the thumbnail.

Last edited by chillicampari (2013-09-16 04:21:12)

#71 2013-09-16 04:04:10

pvsage
Internal Affairs

There have been several scenes in the show where a pony's tongue was sticking out - usually the party animal - for no apparent reason.  A quick image search for "pony tongue" suggests it's not uncommon when a pony is happy.
Pony_Tongue_by_Kev247.jpg

#72 2013-09-16 04:19:08

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

bMQXfOvs.jpg
WHKV7oYs.jpg

#73 2013-09-16 05:22:54

pvsage
Internal Affairs

I keep reading that, when it isn't simply an undesirable habit, tongue lolling in equines is often a sign of dental trouble.

Fridge Brilliance:  The party animal is always eating sweets!  Maybe she has cavities? lol

#74 2013-09-16 05:48:27

pvsage
Internal Affairs

What non-bronies think of My Little Pony:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWB3GjlhCI8
(By the way, this is the answer to the "name that meme" thing.)
What bronies think:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKo1c91PUi0

Be excellent to each other!

#75 2013-09-16 07:09:06

intoCB
Scatweasel

^Ah, now I get it.

Board footer