SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#201 2013-11-03 08:15:51

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

Re: How we moderate your forum - feedback encouraged

@ew: we do Debian remasters, but also Ubuntu (with a self-made remaster tool) and an independent git-base distro (not a remix), and two new bases are in the making for 2014.
About lb: go for it, it's comparably easy if you once get behind the secrets of how to apply the hooks smile

Sweaty lads picking up the soap | I love the new "Ignore user" button

Be excellent to each other!

#202 2013-11-03 09:36:01

servingwater
#! Junkie

Not trying to be a douche here but what in the world is going on here?
I admit I am not quite up to date with the current community here and have missed quite a lot since my more active days on this forum but I can't remember all this whining in the past.
Now I read people split off and/or formed a another group due to some issues here and people announcing leaving because of petty little concerns, my apologies but yes they are petty, and overall all type of drama.
It has almost become like the old Debian Forums here to a degree.
I am not really trying to bash anyone but what I remember from these forums was a funny and friendly group playing around with this "minimal" theme that crunchbang introduced and discussing things on the side always in good fun and without much drama.

#203 2013-11-03 11:14:15

intoCB
Scatweasel

Well, I didn't really say I was leaving :-) - just that I needed to start contributing to a community properly (as well as hang out here). Yesterday I subscribed to a load of Fedora mailing lists. It's a start.

#204 2013-11-04 03:01:56

ew
#! Die Hard

machinebacon wrote:

@ew: we do Debian remasters, but also Ubuntu (with a self-made remaster tool) and an independent git-base distro (not a remix), and two new bases are in the making for 2014.
About lb: go for it, it's comparably easy if you once get behind the secrets of how to apply the hooks smile

Will do. But I started a bit easier. I tried Vastones new Raptor x64, with fluxbox and lxpanel(dock) as default session. I really loved it, and it`s quite Inventive and different, so that`s a keeper. So now I`m going to fiddle with the VSIDO install, and the next for me will be Pony_Muncher, and then a few other bbq-spins too. There is a lot to choose from smile

I will do lb as soon as I finish the DIY-projects in the house. My wife has had me under her whip for quite a long time now. The last month I`ve hardly had any time at all to do anything for myself. big_smile

- apt-mark hold account

#205 2013-11-04 03:13:02

ew
#! Die Hard

intoCB wrote:

Well, I didn't really say I was leaving :-) - just that I needed to start contributing to a community properly (as well as hang out here). Yesterday I subscribed to a load of Fedora mailing lists. It's a start.

Yes, it surely is. I understand the feeling. I also need to contribute more properly to a community. Good luck in Fedora smile

- apt-mark hold account

#206 2013-11-04 18:26:37

intoCB
Scatweasel

^Thanks. Good luck with Gentoo !

#207 2013-11-04 23:37:08

ew
#! Die Hard

intoCB wrote:

^Thanks. Good luck with Gentoo !

Oh. I`m not there yet. I`m enjoying VSIDO raptor and about to install BBQ_Pony_Muncher. So that I have them to play with if I get to frustrated about Gentoo and needa breather now and then. I can`t just go for Gentoo alone, because who knows how long it takes before I get a working system in Gentoo. I`ve talked to people who have tried and given up after days trying to configure everything. 

Anyway, Gentoo will not be the community that I engage in. I`m not all that etusiastic about it. I only chose it because it`s the most difficult distro. If I do Gentoo, it`s only to prove to myself that I can do it:)

- apt-mark hold account

#208 2013-11-04 23:54:06

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
Website

ew wrote:

Anyway, Gentoo will not be the community that I engage in. I`m not all that etusiastic about it. I only chose it because it`s the most difficult distro.

No way man. The most difficult distros are:

1) no distro at all (try to configure wifi here ... or configure HDD partitions ... ha!)
2) <empty>
3) FreeBSD
4) see above
5) <empty>
6) <empty>
11) <empty>
12) MS Windows
13) Gentoo
14) ... other linuxes ...
last) piece of sh*t (easy to configure to look for example like mouse ... or USB stick)

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..
--> The very new BL forum! <--

#209 2013-11-05 00:13:18

hhh
Cityspeak

Moderators! Thread way off topic! That's my feedback!

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

#210 2013-11-05 01:29:13

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

hhh is right. If you want to talk about moderating issues, this is the place. Ranking distros? Not so much. Let's bring this back on topic. Thanks.

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#211 2013-11-05 02:03:51

ew
#! Die Hard

lcafiero wrote:

hhh is right. If you want to talk about moderating issues, this is the place. Ranking distros? Not so much. Let's bring this back on topic. Thanks.

There probably will not be much more debate about moderating in this thread. It`s way to far out to get back on track. I for one will leave it alone from now on, and restrict myself to answering questions in the support-threads, and if I want to babble, I will take it to the Off Topic/general chat, where the topic is to be off topic. That`s a topic requirement that I`m able to manage:)

- apt-mark hold account

#212 2013-11-08 00:05:41

porkpiehat
#! Die Hard

At the risk of trying to bring this back on-topic, I'd like to say that just in the short time I have been a member here, I have seen a drastic decrease in the quality of technical support and an increase in the randomness and tolerance of off-topic "discussions" (the most recent political thread about the Russian Revolution is a good example). I think the moderators and admins of this forum need to decide whether they want to be a technical support forum for Crunchbang or a discussion forum -- I think right now you are trying to be both and succeeding at neither.

#213 2013-11-08 00:11:54

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

It's hard to argue with you there, porkpiehat.

The signal-to-noise ratio has increased, however I would like to just point out that there are only a handful of what I would consider nonsensical topics in the over 28,000 topics in the wider forum, where folks are still getting answers to questions they have about the distro. My suggestion would be to ignore the stuff that doesn't interest you -- it's what I do anyway (unless I have to read something when someone complains).

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

#214 2013-11-08 00:25:27

porkpiehat
#! Die Hard

I do try to ignore the stuff that doesn't interest me -- but I wonder what impression it gives new and potential users. I guess I'm trying to say that I think the moderators could be a little less "nice" and a little more proactive in keeping things on-topic (and by on-topic I mean technical support), unless off-topic is the desired direction for the forum. Even if the nonsense topics are only a handful out of the wider forum, it's loud nonsense, IMO, and when tolerated it has the potential to become much louder. But I don't want to be like ew and post seventeen times to say the same thing, so I will stop now.

#215 2013-11-08 01:31:25

ew
#! Die Hard

porkpiehat wrote:

At the risk of trying to bring this back on-topic, I'd like to say that just in the short time I have been a member here, I have seen a drastic decrease in the quality of technical support and an increase in the randomness and tolerance of off-topic "discussions" (the most recent political thread about the Russian Revolution is a good example). I think the moderators and admins of this forum need to decide whether they want to be a technical support forum for Crunchbang or a discussion forum -- I think right now you are trying to be both and succeeding at neither.

That`s correct, but the reason might be that here are very little support-questions. If you take a look at the support-threads, you will see that there are very few new posts. 2 or 3 questions a day isn`t enough to keep people in here to help others, and if that was all we could do in here, then this forum would soon be forgotten. So you could say that the off-topic stuff is just a way to get any activity at all. Besides the off-topic debates, it`s only the screenshot section that gets much activity.

Another reason for this  low activity in the support-threads, might be that this distro is way to solid and stable. It would be a good idea to continue being rock solid as it is now, but add more experimental choices for the users to play with. The next testing-release should have been here a long time ago, and here should also have been a experimental/unstable release to test and guide the way even further ahead in time. Without exciting projects like this, the forum will loose all quality-action, and be filled with chat and screenshots because people are bored. Face it, at this stage Crunchbang is to stale to cause much activity in the community. I`m just being honest.

- apt-mark hold account

#216 2013-11-08 01:33:18

porkpiehat
#! Die Hard

ew wrote:

blah blah blah, nothing at all to do with how the forum is moderated...

Weren't you leaving to install Gentoo?

#217 2013-11-08 01:35:46

rstrcogburn
CrunchRanger
Website

@ew

I think some of what you said was purely opinion and important/valid with yourself.  Also, there was some real good points.  The fact that CB is so stable, and lower support thread frequency.  That's good feedback dude and something that applies.

Pack em in snow!

#218 2013-11-08 01:58:28

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

ew wrote:

Face it, at this stage Crunchbang is to stale to cause much activity in the community. I`m just being honest.

I have to wonder how much of the forum, other than this thread, you actually visit or contribute to, ew, because there is no basis for this statement. There have been around 20-30 topics regarding help that have been discussed for the better part of the day today, and none of them had to do with anything Off-Topic.

You said earlier that you were here just for fun. OK, fine. Most of us are here to help make the distro better by helping other CrunchBang users, at various levels of skill, make their distro experience better. I'm sorry you feel the purpose of the forum is something entirely different, but that's the way it is.

Incidentally, you talked about going to Gentoo and Arch. Take a look at their forum rules.

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-525.html

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Forum_Etiquette

Good luck there.

#219 2013-11-08 10:22:10

dawiba
#! Member

Last edited by dawiba (2014-04-04 17:16:24)

#220 2013-11-08 13:10:43

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

So what if we have more off-topic discussions?! So what, if members that show an interest in other distributions are here?! So what, if there are less "technical" help topics?! As long as once there is a question and it gets answered, I don't see a problem!

The only reason I am here is my friends! And sadly, I notice more and more of those are leaving either because they stop showing the interest or because they are simply chased away! Lcafiero, especially you, have been getting on my nerves lately. And now telling ew to simple leave because he does not use Crunchbang anymore and is only here for fun?! Jeez, what has this place gotten to..... You need to start asking yourself whether or not you are taking things a bit too far.

If us, other distro users, are not welcome anymore because you want to be more technical and less fun, then so be it. But then I am out, as my old friends did long before.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#221 2013-11-08 14:09:31

ew
#! Die Hard

rstrcogburn wrote:

@ew

I think some of what you said was purely opinion and important/valid with yourself.  Also, there was some real good points.  The fact that CB is so stable, and lower support thread frequency.  That's good feedback dude and something that applies.

Nice to see that someone got my point. Beneath all my babble, the point you mention here was intended as the essence in my post. And that point isn`t a opinion. It`s pure logic and can be stated as a fact. As for the stuff that you think is purely opinion, that might be true, but I thought it was our opinion that was asked for in the feedback and suggestions-section.

Be honest. Would most of you hang here just for the threads that are purely support-related?

- apt-mark hold account

#222 2013-11-08 14:10:59

g33zr
#! Die Hard

This particular discussion is supposed to be about "Feedback & Suggestions: How we moderate your forum - feedback encouraged." But it seems that folks keep digressing off topic. hmm

If I may offer a suggestion, perhaps both the moderators and the forum members should stop and consider what a forum is and how does a moderator do his or her job effectively. Moreover, if members want to discuss other distros then why not begin a new topic or go to the "distro hoppers anonymous" discussion? smile

Meanwhile, since this is a forum open to discussion, folks can continue to agree to disagree, but the moderators also should strive to keep the discussion on topic. If that is no longer possible, then consider closing this one and opening a new one.

It's never too late to learn something new! wink

OHCG | LXer

#223 2013-11-08 14:13:57

anonymous
The Mystery Member

This discussion is starting to remind of whats going on at the Neowin.net forums right now. They've recently decided to try to be more technical support focused and get members to make more "quality posts". To accomplish this, they implemented a "Best Answers" like system similar to Yahoo Answers, Tom's Hardware forums, etc.

#224 2013-11-08 14:17:12

ew
#! Die Hard

porkpiehat wrote:
ew wrote:

blah blah blah, nothing at all to do with how the forum is moderated...

Weren't you leaving to install Gentoo?

tongue Sorry to disappoint you. I`m not at Gentoo, I`m elsewhere, but I never said that I would stay completely away from this forum, and as I mentioned, Crunchbang is still installed with me, and it even serves as master-grub, because it`s well suited for that role, being as stable as it is, and I have that to fall back to whenever I mess up my other installs that are more experimental. Crunchbang is doing it`s job in a very good way, but it doesn`t mean that it`s very exciting.

- apt-mark hold account

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#225 2013-11-08 14:42:53

snowpine
#!-a-roo

Unia wrote:

So what if we have more off-topic discussions?! So what, if members that show an interest in other distributions are here?! So what, if there are less "technical" help topics?! As long as once there is a question and it gets answered, I don't see a problem!

The only reason I am here is my friends! And sadly, I notice more and more of those are leaving either because they stop showing the interest or because they are simply chased away! Lcafiero, especially you, have been getting on my nerves lately. And now telling ew to simple leave because he does not use Crunchbang anymore and is only here for fun?! Jeez, what has this place gotten to..... You need to start asking yourself whether or not you are taking things a bit too far.

If us, other distro users, are not welcome anymore because you want to be more technical and less fun, then so be it. But then I am out, as my old friends did long before.

Well said, Unia!

Speaking only for myself, the technical support threads are the "noise" and the off-topic threads are the "signal." So, without the off-topic, there is literally no reason for me to be here after 5 years. sad

Why can't people just not click on threads they aren't interested in? Seems like the elegant solution! wink

/hugged

Board footer