SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#76 2013-09-27 23:33:22

Linuxephus™
Banned

Re: How we moderate your forum - feedback encouraged

ew wrote:

I`m always worried when someone seem to remember me from other forums, because I`m not always as nice as I am in this forum. I`m not sure that I participate in to many linux-forums though. I`ve only briefly participated in other linux-forums. I`m mostly on political forums, and then mainly on norwegian forums, where I can be among those that really can use the language to my benefit. In english my language skills tend to make me look like a drunk chimpanzee, and I`m never able to make my case in the same way as in my native language. Crunchbang is the only international community I participate somewhat actively in, because here it doesn`t mather if I`m perceived to have the mind of a chimp. In the #!-community everybody is accepted just as they seem to be big_smile

Laughing my arse off!
Well, in this case, you've naught to be worried in the least, though I'd daresay regardless of where it was or by how many one is remembered from elsewhere shouldn't weigh upon your mind in the least to begin with.
And I'm always calm, yet assertive as proper etiquette demands.
Your reply appears to infer that you may have had an impolite ruckus with me at some point in time in the past that you may not remember.
Hence, the above explaining that such with me at least is not the case, nor shan't be for that matter on the merit of myself being very experienced in dealing with one on the merits of their own politeness or potential impoliteness thereof.
I've yet to not be satisfied with the end result accordingly.
A timely, and well placed comment obfuscates many a misunderstanding as needed.

P.S.-Your English is quite understandable and satisfactory to read as it stands, so no worries in that regard as well.
If you care to be worried about the usage of English, keep a fair eye upon me and you'll soon discover I'm everybit the babbling monkey locked in a cage chattering away ceaselessly at the displeasure of being caged, figuratively speaking. yikes

Last edited by Linuxephus™ (2013-09-28 17:39:11)

-Evolution Is Merely God's Way Of Performing An Upgrade.-
-Linux: Guerrilla UNIX Development...Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus.-
-Linux: The Operating System With A C.L.U.E...Command Line User Environment.-

Be excellent to each other!

#77 2013-09-28 05:30:06

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Linuxephus™ wrote:

babbling monkey locked in a cage

Linuxephus™ may have seen the film Ordinary Magic; alternatively, he may know the expression "your mind is like a wild monkey", which is fairly well known to those with a passing knowledge of Indian mysticism.

Methinks the Editor in Chief of the Unixverse overindulgeth his perspicacity. wink

#78 2013-09-28 08:40:57

Linuxephus™
Banned

pvsage wrote:
Linuxephus™ wrote:

babbling monkey locked in a cage

Linuxephus™ may have seen the film Ordinary Magic; alternatively, he may know the expression "your mind is like a wild monkey", which is fairly well known to those with a passing knowledge of Indian mysticism.

Methinks the Editor in Chief of the Unixverse overindulgeth his perspicacity. wink

Ah my fine feathered friend of a Sage, surely my own legendary perspicacity comes nowhere near your own insight into any given matter of substance reading as how I appear to be the only one foolish enough to openly indulge such with what some might refer to as gleefully blatant disregard. big_smile

#79 2013-09-28 09:06:09

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Linuxephus™ wrote:

gleefully blatant disregard. big_smile

'Nuff said. tongue

#80 2013-09-28 09:27:49

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

To get back on-topic, I don't have any problems with the way the forum is run. It's always a pleasure to return, supported by the fact that I've never posted as much to any other distribution forum or other. Most of my registrations stay in the very low numbers of posts and they often do not particularly inspire to check back.

Thanks to the mods, don't worry about making decisions where you feel necessary and implement them. It's been great so far. Hoping to hear from VastOne again.

From ArchBang to SlackBang | Project SlackBang

Say no to bugs. - It's not a bug, it's a worm.

#81 2013-09-28 12:11:15

ew
#! Die Hard

Linuxephus™ wrote:

P.S.-Your English is quite understandable and satisfactory to read as is it stands, so no worries in that regard as well.
If you care to be worried about the usage of English, keep a fair eye upon me and you'll soon discover I'm everybit the babbling monkey locked in a cage chattering away ceaselessly at the displeasure of being caged, figuratively speaking. yikes

Lol. You babble just fine big_smile

PS! As for my slight worries, it`s just that I recall a couple of linux-people I`ve really crashed with. But you don`t sound like any of those people. They were of the pretentious type, and nothing bugs me more than people that thinks the entire world should bow to them, just because they`ve developed something, or because they are some sort of self-proclaimed expert in a certain area. I don`t care if it`s Bill Gates, Steve Ballmer or Linus Torvald. I expect the same kind of respect from them, as I would expect from "ordinary" people. As people are just people to me, regardless of who they are. Needless to say, I`m not of those that idolizes anyone, as I don`t think that anyone is any better than me big_smile

- apt-mark hold account

#82 2013-09-28 14:38:00

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

ew wrote:

I don`t think that anyone is any better than me big_smile

I know for a fact that I am  ]:D

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#83 2013-09-28 17:47:21

Linuxephus™
Banned

ew wrote:

PS! As for my slight worries, it`s just that I recall a couple of linux-people I`ve really crashed with. But you don`t sound like any of those people. They were of the pretentious type, and nothing bugs me more than people that thinks the entire world should bow to them, just because they`ve developed something, or because they are some sort of self-proclaimed expert in a certain area. I don`t care if it`s Bill Gates, Steve Ballmer or Linus Torvald. I expect the same kind of respect from them, as I would expect from "ordinary" people. As people are just people to me, regardless of who they are. Needless to say, I`m not of those that idolizes anyone, as I don`t think that anyone is any better than me big_smile

This is why Each (singular) is to be dealt with on the merit of their Own (singular) actions.
It negates any useless stereotypical self-importance that an individual may have and does wonders for drawing boundaries along those very lines.
Freedom is a right when earned and not abused as entitlement.
Anything outside of that borders on tyranny.
From there, the truly free learn that this same freedom is in fact a privilege earned by virtue of simply doing that which is right.

#84 2013-09-28 22:57:18

ew
#! Die Hard

Unia wrote:
ew wrote:

I don`t think that anyone is any better than me big_smile

I know for a fact that I am  ]:D

No worries. The important thing is how much I`m worth in my own mind, and I`m thrilled that your self-image surpasses your impression of my worth. That`s the way everyone should feel. Even if you obviously tell yourself lies, that`s actually a very good skill to have. Not only telling yourself lies, but actually beliving them. Well Done  O:)

- apt-mark hold account

#85 2013-10-15 16:18:53

johnraff
nullglob
Website

btw I've just noticed that the names of moderators no longer appear on the forum index. Are they secret?
It looks as if chillicampari is now a moderator (she's lived up to the #! tradition by closing a couple of threads), though I didn't see any announcement - anyone else?

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#86 2013-10-15 17:48:58

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

johnraff wrote:

btw I've just noticed that the names of moderators no longer appear on the forum index. Are they secret?
It looks as if chillicampari is now a moderator (she's lived up to the #! tradition by closing a couple of threads), though I didn't see any announcement - anyone else?

Curious as well! If there are new moderators, I want to know about it so I can adjust my attitude towards them  ]:D

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#87 2013-10-15 17:49:59

anonymous
The Mystery Member

^ hahahha lol

#88 2013-10-15 18:48:55

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

johnraff wrote:

Nope, just me (and yep, moderators aren't showing up in the forum index, not sure why). I've closed a couple, but I'd much rather kill spam than close threads. big_smile

@Unia-  O:)  ]:D

I'm new to moderating this forum so if I do something that looks wonky, lemme know! smile

#89 2013-10-15 21:02:20

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@chillicampari:  Unia didn't say which way the attitude would be adjusted. ]:D

I agree that there should have been an announcement at the time of CC's deputizing, along with a huuuge parptay. 8o  There hasn't been enough debauchery here lately. O:)

#90 2013-10-15 21:14:53

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

pvsage wrote:

@chillicampari:  Unia didn't say which way the attitude would be adjusted. ]:D

True... big_smile

I agree that there should have been an announcement at the time of CC's deputizing, along with a huuuge parptay. 8o  There hasn't been enough debauchery here lately. O:)

I'll bring snacks and a lampshade or two. ]:D

I guess I could announce myself, but that would be kind of weird.

#91 2013-10-15 21:41:12

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Body shots!!! ]:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqQo6FscVVE&t=4m22s

...ANYway...
I really do think corenominal or bobobex should have made the announcement.  I'd be happy to do so though!

#92 2013-10-16 04:54:05

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Not seeing too much of either Philip or Becky round here lately. Busy defending the walls of the castle I guess...

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#93 2013-10-16 06:13:33

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ Philip's been super-busy at his day job.

#94 2013-10-16 17:02:54

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

pvsage wrote:

^ Philip's been super-busy at his day job.

Crunchbang alone didn't cut it, I guess? Shame...

#95 2013-10-16 17:11:16

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

It's a pity, but yeah -- a guy has to support his family. big_smile

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#96 2013-10-18 16:14:25

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

How we moderate your forum - feedback encouraged

Please consider banning animated gifs as avatars, they are rarely used but when they are they are uber-annoying.

#97 2013-10-18 17:27:56

porkpiehat
#! Die Hard

brontosaurusrex wrote:

How we moderate your forum - feedback encouraged

Please consider banning animated gifs as avatars, they are rarely used but when they are they are uber-annoying.

+1. I have a very hard time reading posts from anyone with an animated avatar. I usually just skip over them.

Last edited by porkpiehat (2013-10-18 23:51:51)

#98 2013-10-18 17:49:10

dura
Bloated Gimp

A democratic moderating approach would employ a revolving set of moderators rather than a select few, which breeds corruption. Power corrupts, distributing it mitigates such issues.

#99 2013-10-18 18:12:01

bobobex
The Better Half

johnraff wrote:

Not seeing too much of either Philip or Becky round here lately. Busy defending the walls of the castle I guess...

We're here daily, keeping an eye on things. We may not post much but that does not mean that we are unaware of what's going on. Philip and I both have full time day jobs, and when we're at home, I do the domestic goddess stuff whilst Philip maintains CrunchBang. We don't have a lot of "us" time, as you can imagine. sad

We are very grateful to all of our moderators (past and present) who are an enormous help to both Philip and I in what is sometimes seen as a thankless task.  We have no control over who registers and participates in our forums; we just hope that whilst the members are here and participating, that they do so in a friendly and open way. CrunchBang forums have always had a reputation of being friendly and helpful - this is something that we would like to maintain but sometimes we are at the mercy of those members who wish to try and destroy something that doesn't belong to them.

As you can imagine, CrunchBang is Philip's baby and he is very protective of it. He selects his moderators carefully and with consideration to their contribution and positive impact on the forums.

Why he made me a moderator, goodness only knows!  lol

Politeness, Respect, Trust, Humility - forum etiquette I abide by!
twitter

#! forum moderator

Be excellent to each other!

#100 2013-10-18 18:28:37

intoCB
Scatweasel

dura wrote:

A democratic moderating approach would employ a revolving set of moderators rather than a select few, which breeds corruption. Power corrupts, distributing it mitigates such issues.

Was it you? You have the intelligence andd the skills.

Last edited by intoCB (2013-10-18 18:28:52)

Board footer