SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#451 2015-01-06 02:01:25

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

Re: How we moderate your forum - feedback encouraged

We are warned - he'll be back soon. smile

Sweaty lads picking up the soap | I love the new "Ignore user" button

Be excellent to each other!

#452 2015-01-06 05:37:49

hhh
Cityspeak

How you moderate "our" forum? Impotently. Pathetically. Limp and lump.

CBizgreat! wrote:

^ Take your own wise advice then dipstick and don't participate and/or block my and whoever elses posts make yo po inner child weep. big_smile

What have I ever done to you? Ignored your posts? Dismissed your incorrect conception of Xfce menus? Disagreed with your juvenile opinions? You go girl, wanna be Ali G. Keepin it reel, respec. big_smile Dipstick.

Also yep, imo you are a fine example. One of those everybody is entitled to their opinion and shiny happy people holding hands, AS LONG AS THEY AGREE W ME. Whether or not you have the slightest clue what you're typing/talking about.

*ring* Hello, Kettle? This is pot calling. You're black.

Mods, what the hell are you doing? 5 days of this, still collating? Bobobex has seen these threads. chillicampari has seen these threads. Unia has seen these threads. Sector 11 has seen these threads. pvsage is in his room with ponies.

It's not that hard. You see stuff, you either deem it appropriate or inappropriate. The end.

It's no wonder people are treating these forums as a bad joke.

Dead horse, yet again...
https://wiki.debian.org/TheFable

Props to schwim and Rocky for truth.

-edit- typos

Last edited by hhh (2015-01-06 05:41:31)

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

#453 2015-01-06 07:05:05

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

hhh ... ya know exactly what, or you should and if you don't, that's your prob dude. Am not wasting more time typing or going back and forth with you. If were going to spend any serious time in #!, yeah would simply use the existing tool to block having to see whatever you're up to. Pretty obvious I don't like you ( and vice versa), specs of reasons why are not important. Decided I'll just scroll over your posts for now.

OT: A "griefer" w socket puppets ? Holy carp ! Going take a shot and try to better understand things.

griefer: A particularly annoying and virulent type of forum troll ? They are virulent and annoying enough to cause participants in the affected forum "grief". Esp the Mods. Sometimes these foul users will also employ "sock puppets" to increase the level of grief and annoyance they enjoy inflicting on x community. As with all trolls ... These activities give them a sense of satisfaction, look I'm successfully annoying people or they cant stop me sense of power. However both of these things are obviously pathetic and lame.

In addition such trolls also get attention, a troll craves attention and acknowledgement above all things, even if it's negative feedback. Again these facts and this type of behavior just underlines how pathetic these creatures lives must be.

Sock puppet: Additional user accts set up by Trolls ( griefers) and other particularly nasty "toxic nixers" . Which sometimes plague a gnu/nix community. Upon doing so they feel a great sense of empowerment and of achievement. This only emphasizes the fact that they are really friggin lame and that any avg grade school child could easily employ the same clever online tactics as the Trolls. However fortunately most grade schoolers today are more mature and less pathetic than that.

This is on topic because I'd like feedback on the stuff above. They are experienced forum Mods and as such they can offer good info about the subjects. That would help me form an opinion on them and so it's on topic because w/o additional info I can't offer an honest opinion about this thread. Errrr ... well that's my story anyway.  big_smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2015-01-06 07:09:45)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#454 2015-01-06 07:24:35

pvsage
Internal Affairs

machinebacon wrote:

Yup, he will.

machinebacon wrote:

It doesn't matter what's worse -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactical_ignoring

wink

...and yet people keep feeding him. sad

@CBiz:  Yes, you've got it.  Unfortunately, even posting about how pathetic and empty you think their lives are feeds them.

#455 2015-01-06 08:07:06

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

^ Quick reply, plenty of relevant info and also a good point "don't feed da damn troll biz". big_smile Pvsage gets my vote for an excellent moderator.

Sage ... yeah, knew that. Trolls don't care what they're feed, they'll eat anything ... unfortunately except their teeth, cuz they hide behind the internet.  Sighs and shrugs, another example of how great diversity is for a community. Hey all you shiny happy people here, why dontcha quit holding hands for a min and hug a troll ? big_smile

Sage ... do have some input I need to send. PVA's are definitely not the answer imo. Though like Alad said ... jmo, ignoring an azzhat and hopefully they'll go away doesn't seem right either. Basically saying the kill them with kindness and turn other cheek nicey nicey. Here's one example, though will send some others. Usually the user controls their sigline. However the MODS can be given that function.

Something like PLEASE DON'T FEED ME, IM A PATHETIC TROLL displayed prominently on their profile and posts ? big_smile Just saying kindness imo has likely never killed an azzhat, while being too kind has killed the hell out of way too many good people. Putting together a somewhat composition of do onto to others and etc that could ( or not) be useful here.

More on that tactic above. Could mark their posts with a pic of a Troll with a red circle around and line through it. big_smile Instead of allowing them to chose their user image. Would also tell/remind users that this person is an azzhat and probably encourage them not to feed said toxic nixer. Only biz's way of saying there's more than one way to skin a cat, there are even more ways to skin an azzhat or a troll.

Vll! smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2015-01-06 08:19:07)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#456 2015-01-06 09:03:58

hhh
Cityspeak

"hhh ... ya know exactly what, or you should and if you don't, that's your prob dude"

Seriously. no freaking clue. My problem, as you said.

#457 2015-01-06 10:17:04

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Sighs, yep me again. Sheesh ya'll should ban me if you want to better moderate this community. Arghhh. big_smile

Just another random thought on this topic. That being how you/we can better moderate the #! community. If #! is "understaffed" in terms of moderators, imo that's because you are choosing to be. There are plenty of people here who would volunteer some time to pitch in. Like a community watch kinda deal.

They won't want to sign up and work a set work schedule etc. But folks who come here for 20mins or some who spend 9hrs a visit. Would likely be happy to sign onto a moderator panel and help clean things up while they're here.

Plenty of kewl people here, who've put in the time or contributed enough posts to have earned their "chops". You can tell who these members are easily enough. Guessing they don't like seeing the community junked up, anymore than the full time Mods do. So while they're here anyway, they would probably be happy to sweep up a bit or help wash a window or two.

Such as moving posts, posted into the wrong section and sending the offender a gentle reminder that, that's not the way this community does things. Deleting outright toxic nixer posts, or necrobumpers and thread hijackers etc. These folks would probably be happy to do it too.

Though don't make me a mod .... EVER. Right now one of my 1st official acts as a moderator, would be to ban hhh. LMAO ... which would cause a virtual chit-storm among the official moderation team. big_smile

Edit ... dang it. Hhh ... peace dude, I will agree to stop taking random shots @ you, if you agree to do likewise. Personally ... I'd rather get along w people. So whatcha say ? Truce ?

Vll! smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2015-01-06 10:37:58)

#458 2015-01-06 11:02:40

nore
>2^9

I have to disagree about increasing number of moderators. A small but dedicated group works more efficiently than a loose, large herd of part timers. In a big pack there would be so many views about moderating, that the top guard would have their hands full with moderating the moderators. Forums should not try to be a democracy, but rather a meritocracy with big ears.

Last edited by nore (2015-01-06 11:03:24)

#459 2015-01-06 11:59:08

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@CBiz:  Tried the "kill him with kindness" thing about ten pages ago; we saw how well that went.

The problem with mod coverage was simply a matter of timing; for the mods, it was the holidays as well, and many of them have family commitments that take priority over the goings-on here.

#460 2015-01-06 12:02:10

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

^ Morning pvsage. Yeah, doesn't/wouldn't make much sense, as I am writing this there are 3 mods online. Hi Unia and johnraff wink Quite nicely distributed all over the globe, so even time zones are no problem.

Sweaty lads picking up the soap | I love the new "Ignore user" button

#461 2015-01-06 12:33:48

Alad
Software Satan

machinebacon wrote:

Of course he will, considering the privileged position he has here. Anyways:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDWgs2cnga0[/video]

Should have done so 1450 posts ago, but w/e.

#462 2015-01-06 15:27:58

snowpine
#!-a-roo

CBizgreat! wrote:

If #! is "understaffed" in terms of moderators, imo that's because you are choosing to be.

Speaking as a former moderator, I found this to be, for all practical intents and purposes, a one-moderator forum. Which is a valid choice I am not criticising at all---I think it is a perfectly rational/normal approach to have one person in charge of the forums, since #! is a one-developer distro. smile

/hugged

#463 2015-01-06 16:00:55

TicTac
#! Junkie

hhh wrote:

*ring* Hello, Kettle? This is pot calling. You're black.

Boy, ain't that a fact though? Your single line statement gets the thread's "Truth Spoken" award.

CBizgreat!,

Wish I had a real dollar for every time you've used the word, TROLL. Or, ten for each time you've sought to redefine it.

Please cease, you're giving me an itch. smile

-->Post edited and redacted in compliance with moderation.

Last edited by TicTac (2015-01-06 17:06:33)

"Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."   

The Dude.

#464 2015-01-06 16:17:23

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

^ Please remain on topic and don't call one another out. If you have something personal to discuss, do it in private or not at all.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#465 2015-01-06 17:39:15

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Is TicTac a sock puppet ? big_smile

Ahhh alright no worries, the people have spoken. Ya'll keep shining, keep being happy and whatever you do, keep on holding hands.

Vll! smile

Dang it edit: Tons of kickbutt nixers here past/present etc ( YOU KNOW WHO YA ARE). They'll keep being kickbutt w/o me subjecting myself to head/buttaches. Six months wasn't nowhere near enough time away. Will check back in 10yrs or so. Good vibes 2 good folks. See ya on the flip side.

Oops gotta add the Vll! smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2015-01-06 18:32:17)

#466 2015-01-06 17:50:52

TicTac
#! Junkie

CBizgreat! wrote:

Is TicTac a sock puppet ? big_smile

Nope, just your average breath mint... Would you like one?   tongue  big_smile

Indeed, I agree enough's been said here.

"Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."   

The Dude.

#467 2015-01-06 19:09:49

hhh
Cityspeak

CBizgreat?

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. … 71#p412471

That is a lucid, intelligent, well thought-out post. The sky is falling! No worries, mate. One thing, your habit of using the Quote button for emphasis... that confuses the hell out of me.

PM me with links to where I've taken pot shots at you (apart from the one in my last rage-post) so I can apologize for them.

/OT, sorry Unia.

OT, and to the Moderators... What happens when the Report link gets pressed, are all the mods alerted? How come the reporter doesn't get a record of their report? Is it at the discretion of the Mod who ends up reading the report whether they tell the reporter if their report is worthy of action, and what action was then taken? Does the person who posted the reported post get notified that it's been reported, or is that at the Mod's discretion? How come there's nothing on the forums describing what the Report link is for? Would you like me to ask another question with the word report in it?

#468 2015-01-06 20:27:00

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

hhh wrote:

OT, and to the Moderators... What happens when the Report link gets pressed, are all the mods alerted? How come the reporter doesn't get a record of their report? Is it at the discretion of the Mod who ends up reading the report whether they tell the reporter if their report is worthy of action, and what action was then taken? Does the person who posted the reported post get notified that it's been reported, or is that at the Mod's discretion? How come there's nothing on the forums describing what the Report link is for? Would you like me to ask another question with the word report in it?

There is a separate page where all reports get sent to. All moderators can see the reports, the submitters and the added messages. We usually don't notice reporters that action is going to be/has been taken, but you can be assured all reports are discussed internally.

I'm pretty sure all moderators would happily answer a PM regarding a report, if you want to know more about what we did with it.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#469 2015-01-06 20:38:11

hhh
Cityspeak

Unia wrote:

I'm pretty sure all moderators would happily answer a PM regarding a report, if you want to know more about what we did with it.

I'm sure of that, too. Thanks, Unia!

#470 2015-01-06 20:47:02

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

Unia wrote:

I certainly would answer a PM about a report.

But I'd like to add something here:

Reports of spam are not discussed, first mod to get it acts on it and marks the report as read.

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#471 2015-01-06 22:32:02

common-sense
#! CrunchBanger

Lol. If nothing else, I have brought some life to this lazy and comfortable camp, and I can leave in full confidence that you guys are more than capable to cause all kinds of grief and conflict between each other without my help in any way.

And Cbiz, I told you to ease up on the mushrooms, but I didn't tell you to smoke your socks. Your suggestions are the same kind of BS no matter how many times you repeat them. You could label my accounts and highjack my signature with all sorts of crap, but that wouldn't mean shit in order to stop someone like me. Simply because I am no troll. I have no agenda, and I'm totally unaffected by everything anyone might have to say to me. Not at all looking for attention or confirmation. Not here, and not in real life. So there you couldn't be more wrong.

And hey MB, you are dead on. Here I am again. But not to troll anyone. Simply because as the more perceiptive might have picked up on by now, is that I have a small issue letting someone else have the last say. See, I do know my flaws. And I could make up a much bigger list of flaws too...

So just to assist the mods and releave Cbiz's obsession by me, (poor fellow, he's almost becoming the new forum spammer) then you would have a much bigger chance to get rid of me, by simply stopping to discuss me when I leave. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that I do watch the forum after I leave, and that I may be tempted to reply when I see that I'm still the biggest topic in this community. Talk about having a life, lol. Some of you guys are wasting a hell of a lot more time discusssing me, than I'm doing annoying you. And let's face it, at this point I do actually have pleasure by annoying some of you.

Though I haven't ever been a troll before, Alad and CBiz sure as hell are doing their very best to turn me into one. Especially when Alad has the nerve to make up direct lies about me. NO, I'm not banned in Arch. NO, I'm not banned in Debian, and NO, I have never been banned in BBQ. Nor have I ever been in any kind of conflict or been warned in any of those communities. Not been persona nongrata in any of them as you falsely claim. So Alad, shame on you for being a filthy lier. Do you really expect me to sit quiet and watch you create such lies?

Anyway, now it's really good bye. SSD formatted and ready to start building and testing my new personal distro as soon as Jessie goes stable. Until then I will go over my online accounts and let ew-linux die for good. Unfortunately this will also make it impossible to contact me by pm and email, so I won't be able to help anyone that approaches me by such channels. I will not get your messages. To bad, but I feel it's necessary. A lot of vendictive souls here, and I don't assume that the most obsessed will let me be nowhere else in the linux community. And the last thing I want to do, is to drag this shit into any other community.

Relax PVSage and the rest of you. This is actually now officially over, and MB, I will keep my promise this time. I will start to build myself a new identity in linux. The branding of my current identity hasn't turned out exactly as I planned it to. It's probably best to do it all over again smile

#472 2015-01-06 22:35:16

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

That lasted long  roll

#473 2015-01-07 12:35:13

Hadrianvs

^^^^^^^^^(^) This has been an interesting read.

//lurking

p.s. methinks it has somewhat strayed from the topic at hand?

Last edited by Hadrianvs (2015-01-07 12:36:41)

Honeste vivere, neminem (altervm non) laedere, svvm cvique tribvere.

#474 2015-01-07 18:47:06

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Sector11 wrote:

Reports of spam are not discussed, first mod to get it acts on it and marks the report as read.

btw I'd like to mention that even if spam reporters get no direct feedback - beyond seeing the spam post disappear - their reports are really very much appreciated and help us a lot! smile

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

Be excellent to each other!

#475 2015-02-03 04:58:44

vic
#! by Default

The unsticking of threads have so far been a very positive experience.

Time to move on!#

Board footer