SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-14 23:09:23

ohyran
#! Member
Website

Crunchbang my Linux Mint 15 XFCE!

Ok so not to waste everyones time I'll do the short-short version of my troubles. I have a laptop for work: an Asus UX32VD. I've tried allot of little moves and skips to get it to behave and it just doesn't with #! sadly, from display-issues to keyboard issues to problems installing stuff I need. Its a wonky laptop to deal with at my low skill level. So what to do when you love the crunchiest of bangs and need to use Mint?

I thought - if Mohammed can't go to the mountain, vice versa would have to be way to do it - like a placebo #! smile

My plan is to install Openbox, tint2, conky and so on onto my Linux Mint 15 install, recreate allot of the aestethic goodness that is #! and some of the details and in so doing at least get part of the joy and still keep the parts that make my laptop happy. A Crunchy Mint really...

My main problem is getting lxappearence to work together with the Openbox install - right now changing half of the options available does nothing (widgets specifically seems hellbent on remaining the same). My secondary problem, although not as big, is to fix all the keybindings. I've fiddled with some of the settings in the openbox config file, copied a keybinding for something else, pasted it below and changed it to what I wanted (name, command, keyboard-shortcut) but it didn't seem to change.

I got some help from Machinebacon but some things, the above mentioned especially still eludes me. So any pointers for a layman trying to create a placebo-version of a brilliant distro based on Linux Mint 15?

EDITED FOR CLARITY: I intend to remove the central XFCE parts afterwards so essentially "Crunchbang my Linux Mint 15" would be more apt...

Last edited by ohyran (2013-07-14 23:13:50)

>>>I draw pretty pictures for a living!<<<
>>>>>>>>>>>>#! Animal<<<<<<<<<<<<

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-07-15 02:28:45

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

Re: Crunchbang my Linux Mint 15 XFCE!

You need also obconf for the rest to customize Openbox.

#3 2013-07-16 16:31:39

ohyran
#! Member
Website

Haha well that too smile

Anyway the project kinda petered out as the end result didn't match my expectations so for now I'm keeping #! on my stationary computer and Mint Xfce on the laptop. I did on the other hand take a note from the crunchbang book of UX design and started slimming it all down. Cutting off parts I didn't need so at least there is that. smile

As for the config files I did a naughty one and just copied them and mailed them to myself and pasted them in there. End result: "not great but wth".

#4 2013-07-16 19:01:31

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

The problems with the keybindings might be the 'new' format of the xml file (execute <-> command, or what it was)
About Openbox not carrying over the themes - is openbox-session loaded or xfce4-session.

Anyway, you'd be better of doing it like this:
- get yourself Ubuntu Mini ISO and install it to your computer
- reboot and add the linuxmint sources to /etc/apt/sources.list
- sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
- sudo apt-get install the packages that are usually installed via cb-metapackage. Don't try to use Crunchbang's repos to get cb-related stuff - it's better if you copy for example /usr/bin/cb-* and /etc/skel/ to your Ubuntu-Mint system
- you'll be missing some config files that are in /etc/, for example slim.conf or so. This shouldn't be a huge problem to find out.
- This route is definitely cleaner and leaner than to unbloat Mint XFCE. So, take yourself a half day off and have a try.

Last edited by machinebacon (2013-07-16 19:09:08)

Sweaty lads picking up the soap | I love the new "Ignore user" button

#5 2013-07-17 14:40:47

ohyran
#! Member
Website

So I started today but did it on the big computer instead to test the method! I installed the mini.iso of Ubuntu (I kept the sources there because, well there really isn't that much difference between the two) - then I went about installing the relevant parts. I installed thunar, synaptic, openbox/config/menu/themes, nitrogen and lxappearence, aswell as lxappearance-obconf (only I did it in the wrong order I think since it doesn't want to do anything yet), geany, firefox and some other stuff.
Next step is to fix lxappearance and then isntall nvidia drivers and start fixing with the config and see what I did wrong. smile

But I'll do that tomorrow.

Question is if for example installing - maybe fedora LXDE - and then scraping of the LXDE superflous parts would be more convenient

Last edited by ohyran (2013-07-17 14:41:22)

#6 2013-07-17 15:40:42

hinto
#! Windbag

FWIW,
It's much easier to crunchify a Debian distro than a Mint (or Ubuntu distro).  You could very well end up in dependency he** which is why I came to Debian in the first place. (as opposed to other distros).  Don't get me wrong, nothing is wrong with Mint/Ubuntu (I have it installed) it's just mixing/matching repos can be problematic, unless you like that kind of stuff.
-Hinto

"Sometimes I wish I hadn't taken the red pill" -Me

#7 2013-08-19 10:54:35

ohyran
#! Member
Website

Ok so I've kinda come full circle on this: I've simply removed the XFCE panel added Tint2 and a conky to replace it and then tried my darndest to scrape it clean.
The odd thing about it is that there seem to be a TON of stuff going on behind the scenes which I just can't grasp why. I've removed the Xhost thing (lets avoid calling it spyware but thats the word being flung around) and all the little things I don't need but compared to for example Manjaro (or for that matter #!) it is running warm just standing idle.

So aside from all that I've started to check out BBQ again - if only I could figure out how to install Steam on it (yes I treat my computer like a dog treats its bed - I just go round round round seemingly never to lie down at all)

#8 2013-08-19 12:40:37

hinto
#! Windbag

LinuxBBQ Darkside is SID crunchified.
-Hinto

"Sometimes I wish I hadn't taken the red pill" -Me

#9 2013-10-29 14:32:19

th3pun15h3r
#! Die Hard

could just #! up xfce.  I removed icons on the desktop, took the menu button off the panel to make my right click menu.  I then used the keyboard settings option to make my keybinds.  Also added the tiling aero snap ppa so I can use my mouse to aerosnap up to 4 tiled windows.  Liking it so far.

#10 2013-10-29 15:44:41

saneks
#! Die Hard

if you don't mind to reinstall and need the ubuntu route for convenient driver supply, check out Madbox, which is a barebones ubuntu with openbox. maybe even easier than stripping Lubuntu

eee701 user & other lap/desktops

Board footer