SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-10 14:55:57

paxmark1
#! Junkie

Solved: Fontconfig warning:

Starting Calibre, Thunar and Geany from command line yields the following warnings.   NOTE: No crashes or segfaults.

Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 9: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-droid-sans-fonts.conf", line 103: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-droid-sans-fonts.conf", line 138: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not work as expected

Running testing on CPU~Dual core AMD C-50  Kernel~3.4.0-35.dmz.1-liquorix-686 i686

This started recently after a dist-upgrade, maybe 5 days ago. 

In Ubuntu there is a listed bug Bug #1065606 from Oct 11, 2012 for update manager. 
Debian   #714561  for digikam where it crashes and burns, possibly the error messages are unrelated to the crash and burn. 

Actually it appears to appear in 9 different very diverse bug reports, possibly often happening alongside another showstopper bug in those programs.  I.E. a gnat bit not noticed due to a bee sting. 

Doing a different search yields

http://xubuntugeek.blogspot.ca/2013/01/ … rning.html

Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 9: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.

Fix
Open a terminal window and run:

mkdir -p $HOME/.config/fontconfig
mv $HOME/.fonts.conf $HOME/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf

However in #! or openbox (whichever-both?) the dotfile appears to be ~/.fontconfig

I will probably amend the fix suggested by xububuntu.blogspot and apply - but later, after I return from work.  Feedback welcome if I am on the wrong track

Last edited by paxmark1 (2013-07-11 05:43:53)

Jean Vanier wrote "Being Human" and "A Short History of Progress" by Ronald Wright.  Gotta love the Massey Lectures.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-07-10 23:01:45

ew
#! Die Hard

Re: Solved: Fontconfig warning:

I get the same warning as your first line, but I have no other issues, so I don`t care to much about it. I got it after upgrading to sid and installing xfce4, I don`t know whether it was the dist-upgrade that did it, or xfce4, but as long as I don`t notice any bad effects other than the warning itself, I guess I`ll just leave it as it is:)

Or, I checked /etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 9 just now, and as you see below,  I solved it by commenting out the two elements that the script states twill be removed in the future, and this solves the warning. It`s gone, and with no ill effects. Voila.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
	<!-- Load per-user customization file -->
	<include ignore_missing="yes" prefix="xdg">fontconfig/conf.d</include>
	<include ignore_missing="yes" prefix="xdg">fontconfig/fonts.conf</include>
	<!-- the following elements will be removed in the future 
	<include ignore_missing="yes" deprecated="yes">~/.fonts.conf.d</include>
	<include ignore_missing="yes" deprecated="yes">~/.fonts.conf</include> -->
</fontconfig>

Last edited by ew (2013-07-10 23:02:57)

- apt-mark hold account

#3 2013-07-11 00:33:27

farinet
#! Junkie

I had - among others - this problem as well. I solved it following this advice.

Eventually, you share my other problems as well?

#4 2013-07-11 02:18:59

ew
#! Die Hard

farinet wrote:

I use another kernel, so I don`t share that warning. As for this pixmap-issue, I solve it by installing the missing theme-engine, gtk2-engines-pixbuf. I see that you`ve fixed that. As for the glib-critical messages, you need a theme that handles the new gtk-3-0. I have modified the original Waldorf-theme to handle that. It will give you synaptic and everything else.

1. Download from my dropbox, choose download as zip-file:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a6h6oewgbkf89b1/-TNeo_B-EY

2. When downloaded, extract the zip-file. Then, as root, copy the extracted folder to /usr/share/themes. If you don`t want it to replace your original Waldorf theme, then just rename the folder to Waldorf2 BEFORE you move it into /usr/share/themes.

Then, choose the new theme with lxappearance, and to also fix the gtk3-rootapps like synaptic, in addition you will need to choose the new theme as root.

In other words, in terminal: "lxappearance" - choose "Waldorf2" , and in addition, repeat this step with "sudo lxappearance". The theme has to be chosen both as user and root. I can not stress this enough.

Reboot, Synaptic and everything else should work...

Last edited by ew (2013-07-11 02:20:14)

- apt-mark hold account

#5 2013-07-12 07:14:38

farinet
#! Junkie

ew! Thanks a lot for your effort.

[EDIT]
I'm still getting an error, when i try to do 'gksu aptitude' or 'gksudo aptitude'. Aptitude starts in the terminal but then closes without doing anything. The error msg i get is:

Unable to read from stdin:

[/EDIT]

Last edited by farinet (2013-07-12 12:03:45)

#6 2013-07-12 12:07:21

farinet
#! Junkie

ew wrote:

....In other words, in terminal: "lxappearance" - choose "Waldorf2" , and in addition, repeat this step with "sudo lxappearance". The theme has to be chosen both as user and root. I can not stress this enough.

Wasn't this done already by Flatstudio-Zuk-Crunchbang (which i was used to use before)?
wink

#7 2013-07-13 12:41:33

ew
#! Die Hard

farinet wrote:
ew wrote:

....In other words, in terminal: "lxappearance" - choose "Waldorf2" , and in addition, repeat this step with "sudo lxappearance". The theme has to be chosen both as user and root. I can not stress this enough.

Wasn't this done already by Flatstudio-Zuk-Crunchbang (which i was used to use before)?
wink

Nope. Flatstudio-Zuk-Crunchbang is a mixup of Flatstudio and Zukitwo. The theme I presented are the original Waldorf-Theme without any changes to anything else than the gtk3-theme. Openbox, xfwm, and gtk2 are totally untouched by me. So this is for everyone that want`s the original Waldorf-theme. FZC is a fine theme, and if you`re used to it, then just use it. But when people are having gtk-trouble with the waldorf-theme, then I prefer to provide them with a working waldorf-theme, instead of something else that has been tweaked to get close to the original.

Do you get it now? The theme I`m linking to, isn`t my theme. It`s the original waldorf-theme with a replacement for the gtk3-theme.

My theme is named Crunchy-Darkness, and it works perfectly for me, but I don`t recommend this to people who like the waldorf-theme, because it`s completely different ... It`s very dark.

- apt-mark hold account

#8 2013-07-13 13:06:10

ew
#! Die Hard

farinet wrote:

ew! Thanks a lot for your effort.

[EDIT]
I'm still getting an error, when i try to do 'gksu aptitude' or 'gksudo aptitude'. Aptitude starts in the terminal but then closes without doing anything. The error msg i get is:

Unable to read from stdin:

[/EDIT]

OK, this happens with "gksu aptitude" for me also. I`ve never noticed it, because I never use it. This modified Waldorf theme is just the original Waldorf theme with Adwaita as a replacement for the gtk3-theme, slightly tweaked if I remember it correctly. But I tested "gksu aptitude" with the original Adwaita-theme, and the same error appears there..., so if you need to use aptitude with gksu then I can`t help you.

- apt-mark hold account

#9 2013-07-14 22:23:38

farinet
#! Junkie

ew wrote:

. . . OK, this happens with "gksu aptitude" for me also. I`ve never noticed it, because I never use it. This modified Waldorf theme is just the original Waldorf theme with Adwaita as a replacement for the gtk3-theme, slightly tweaked if I remember it correctly. But I tested "gksu aptitude" with the original Adwaita-theme, and the same error appears there..., so if you need to use aptitude with gksu then I can`t help you.

No no, it's only i went in the previous errors trying to do this command and only after that i discovered other programs where touched as well. It was out of curiousity, i tested this (in some way, i'm happy it's not only restricted to me wink ).

I got it, for the theme. So, really, i could substitute the original waldorf by that one you corrected. No need or use for the old one anymore ...

#10 2013-07-14 23:18:54

ew
#! Die Hard

farinet wrote:
ew wrote:

. . . OK, this happens with "gksu aptitude" for me also. I`ve never noticed it, because I never use it. This modified Waldorf theme is just the original Waldorf theme with Adwaita as a replacement for the gtk3-theme, slightly tweaked if I remember it correctly. But I tested "gksu aptitude" with the original Adwaita-theme, and the same error appears there..., so if you need to use aptitude with gksu then I can`t help you.

No no, it's only i went in the previous errors trying to do this command and only after that i discovered other programs where touched as well. It was out of curiousity, i tested this (in some way, i'm happy it's not only restricted to me wink ).

I got it, for the theme. So, really, i could substitute the original waldorf by that one you corrected. No need or use for the old one anymore ...

Yes, you could do that. But you could also keep both. It`s up to you. If there ever comes a new version of the waldorf-theme in the waldorf-repo, then I guess that a dist-upgrade would upgrade whatever theme that currently is named waldorf, as long as you have the waldorf-repo activated. So I assume that if you remove the original theme and rename the new theme to waldorf instead of waldorf2, then  you automatically would get a new waldorf-theme if a upgrade is released, and it would already be activated, because it would replace the one you got from me. Perhaps not a bad idea.

Last edited by ew (2013-07-14 23:21:16)

- apt-mark hold account

#11 2013-07-16 20:05:47

arman1992

ew wrote:
farinet wrote:

I use another kernel, so I don`t share that warning. As for this pixmap-issue, I solve it by installing the missing theme-engine, gtk2-engines-pixbuf. I see that you`ve fixed that. As for the glib-critical messages, you need a theme that handles the new gtk-3-0. I have modified the original Waldorf-theme to handle that. It will give you synaptic and everything else.

2. When downloaded, extract the zip-file. Then, as root, copy the extracted folder to /usr/share/themes. If you don`t want it to replace your original Waldorf theme, then just rename the folder to Waldorf2 BEFORE you move it into /usr/share/themes.

Then, choose the new theme with lxappearance, and to also fix the gtk3-rootapps like synaptic, in addition you will need to choose the new theme as root.

In other words, in terminal: "lxappearance" - choose "Waldorf2" , and in addition, repeat this step with "sudo lxappearance". The theme has to be chosen both as user and root. I can not stress this enough.

Thanks ew. This solved my problem.
Just was curious what did you do with the gtk3 one? I get same errors with other themes. If I knew how to fix them...

#12 2013-07-16 21:00:56

ew
#! Die Hard

arman1992 wrote:

Thanks ew. This solved my problem.
Just was curious what did you do with the gtk3 one? I get same errors with other themes. If I knew how to fix them...

I don`t use the theme myself, I use another theme that I`ve worked a lot more with. A dark Theme. But for the waldorf-theme I used the original theme, and replaced only the gtk-3-folder, with the gtk-3-folder from the theme in the link below.  If I remember correctly then I didn`t change the new gtk-3-theme to much, as it already worked with gtk +3.8. I just tweaked the selected green to grey and little things like that. As I don`t use it myself, I didn`t put to much work into it. But I used the gtk3-theme from this theme:
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ … ent=159001

I used the (Adwaita GRN+ 3.8.3) download, NOT the "only dark Theme"...

If you download this theme, extract it, and use only the gtk-3-folder from this theme to replace the gtk-3-folder in themes that doesn`t work with gtk-3.8, there should be a good chance that you get them working. If I were you, I would start there. Just download the theme, extract it, move the gtk-3-folder into the themes that doesn`t work. It will replace the current gtk-3-folder in those folders, so it could be a good idea to back them up, so that you can use them as a guide for picking colors when you start to configure the gtk-3-theme to match the rest of your theme.

But initially, I would just replace the gtk-3-folders, and don`t worry about how it looks. When it`s working, you can get back to us and ask how to tweak things that you can`t figure out yourself. Just get it functional first, and let`s start with that.

- apt-mark hold account

#13 2013-07-17 21:09:33

Nebucatnetzer
#! CrunchBanger
Website

ew wrote:

May I ask why we have the theme has to be chosen by the user and root?

#14 2013-07-17 22:39:43

ew
#! Die Hard

Nebucatnetzer wrote:
ew wrote:

May I ask why we have the theme has to be chosen by the user and root?

Yes, of course. That`s because it`s possible to use different themes as user and root. Some people like to have a totally different enviroment when they are in root-mode, making it obvious that they are in root-mode.

If you set the theme only for the user, it will work for most apps, but not some of the gtk3-apps who needs to be run as root. So "transmission" will work, but not apps like "synaptic" which requires you to be in root-mode. They will still use the old theme that is set for root. In other words, the gtk3-root-apps will continue to use the old theme that doesn`t work, unless you also choose a working theme as root. You don`t have to choose the same theme as for the user, but you need to choose a theme that works with gtk-3.8+

Last edited by ew (2013-07-17 22:42:19)

- apt-mark hold account

#15 2013-07-23 02:56:43

pmo
Website

ew wrote:
farinet wrote:

I used your theme, worked fine and all.. but some apps like transmission-gtk show up as Gnome3 does, awiata or what that theme is called.

Catch me on irc.freenode.net @ #crunchbang - pmo

#16 2013-07-23 09:00:03

ew
#! Die Hard

pmo wrote:

I used your theme, worked fine and all.. but some apps like transmission-gtk show up as Gnome3 does, awiata or what that theme is called.

Yes, this theme will pretty much do just that, as the gtk3-theme is almost identical to the original adwaita-theme. The only change as far as I can remember is that selected items are grey instead of blue.

I don`t use that theme myself. I use a dark-theme that also works with gtk-3-8, and there synaptic-gtk looks like this:

screenshot-07232013-105532am.png

If you are interested in dark-themes, you could try this:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/poq9dklpjdua15u/1B5avyM9bc

Last edited by ew (2013-07-23 09:00:44)

- apt-mark hold account

#17 2013-07-23 09:11:32

Nebucatnetzer
#! CrunchBanger
Website

That looks like a good replacement until FlatStudio gets updated. Thank you.

#18 2013-08-11 17:20:36

kamal

Thanks @ew, that fixed it for me :]

#19 2014-06-20 13:26:17

tmaiden

Here is the error that I had and how I fixed it.
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-droid-sans-fonts.conf", line 146: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not work as expected

## Backed-up Original File 
sudo cp /etc/fonts/conf.d/65-droid-sans-fonts.conf /etc/fonts/conf.d/65-droid-sans-fonts_conf20140620.bak

Changed Lines:

<test name="lang">
      <string>zh-cn</string>
      <string>zh-sg</string>
      <string>zh-hk</string>
      <string>zh-tw</string>
      <string>zh</string>
    </test>

to

<test name="lang">
      <string>zh-cn</string>
    </test>
    <test name="lang">
      <string>zh-sg</string>
    </test>
    <test name="lang">
      <string>zh-hk</string>
    </test>
    <test name="lang">
      <string>zh-tw</string>
    </test>
    <test name="lang">
      <string>zh</string>
    </test>

Here's the original post: Bug 6919 - fontconfig emits more warnings with google-droid-fonts installed

Board footer