SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-09 23:37:03

ohyran
#! Member
Website

Hi #!

Ok first off the bat I should say this - I am not so much a crunchbang user as I am a crunchbang admirer (sounds weird). I have a laptop that requires distros with kernel 3.8 and above and wont boot #! otherwise it would be on here (I used Manjaro Openbox as an alternative - not perfect but what can you do?). Beyond that I have a really good stationary computer where #! may not come to its fullest right - so... instead I kinda just envy you guys from afar.

I'm simply here to introduce myself - I'm lurking the forums, reading your posts, checking your tint2 and Conky configs and all in all enjoy being here so why not?

What keeps my deep attraction to #! alive is beyond the aesthetics of it (I love it), the "feel" of it. More precisely these forums, the community behind it, the nice attitude from members and admins and the kind and wonderful way you seem to treat newcomers. You guys rock and perhaps its just me (I think there are more like me though) but you guys here should really pat yourself on the back for being your distros greatest asset and one of its "selling points" (couldn't come up with a better term for it, sorry).

So just keep up the brilliant work! You guys rock. I will continue lurking in the shadows and if one of you know a what to create an install-usb with kernel 3.9 in it - tell me wink

>>>I draw pretty pictures for a living!<<<
>>>>>>>>>>>>#! Animal<<<<<<<<<<<<

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-07-09 23:39:21

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Re: Hi #!

Welcome to CrunchBang ohyran, enjoy the ride!

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

I dev VSIDO

#3 2013-07-10 03:33:15

vic
#! by Default

admirer or not, weird or not, it does not matter, welcome to #!, have fun and get the #!inezz going!

Time to move on!#

#4 2013-07-10 03:57:04

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

What vicshrike said, and welcome to CrunchBang.

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#5 2013-07-10 04:16:33

th3pun15h3r
#! Die Hard

ohyran wrote:

Ok first off the bat I should say this - I am not so much a crunchbang user as I am a crunchbang admirer (sounds weird). I have a laptop that requires distros with kernel 3.8 and above and wont boot #! otherwise it would be on here (I used Manjaro Openbox as an alternative - not perfect but what can you do?). Beyond that I have a really good stationary computer where #! may not come to its fullest right - so... instead I kinda just envy you guys from afar.

I'm simply here to introduce myself - I'm lurking the forums, reading your posts, checking your tint2 and Conky configs and all in all enjoy being here so why not?

What keeps my deep attraction to #! alive is beyond the aesthetics of it (I love it), the "feel" of it. More precisely these forums, the community behind it, the nice attitude from members and admins and the kind and wonderful way you seem to treat newcomers. You guys rock and perhaps its just me (I think there are more like me though) but you guys here should really pat yourself on the back for being your distros greatest asset and one of its "selling points" (couldn't come up with a better term for it, sorry).

So just keep up the brilliant work! You guys rock. I will continue lurking in the shadows and if one of you know a what to create an install-usb with kernel 3.9 in it - tell me wink

Couldn't have said it better myself!

If your looking for a similar openbox experience with a newer kernel you could try Archbang linux.

Last edited by th3pun15h3r (2013-07-10 04:18:35)

#6 2013-07-10 06:45:54

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Welcome to Club#!, ohyran!  Enjoy the muffins.

On behalf of the moderation team and the community in general, all I have to say is "Aw, shucks." 8o  Now that you're here, the community is even 20% cooler.

#7 2013-07-10 08:07:01

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Welcome aboard ohyran.

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#8 2013-07-10 08:45:23

DebianJoe
#! Code Whisperer
Website

Hello ohyran, welcome to the Crunchbang family.  There is already a pretty sweet way to get a Crunch-like with Siduction.

That's 3.9.+ for the uninitiated. wink

#9 2013-07-11 05:08:59

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

Welcome to the community, ohyran.  I know of a way to install CrunchBang with a 3.9 kernel.  You could track the backports repo or the unstable repo.  The backports repo currently has kernel 3.9-0 and the unstable repo currently has kernel 3.9-1.

07/11/2013-01 edit:  My suggestion is assuming that you can install CrunchBang 11 to begin with.  If not, then my suggestion probably wouldn't work.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2013-07-11 05:15:53)

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

#10 2013-07-12 21:28:39

ohyran
#! Member
Website

Thanks all! big_smile

I tried the Darkside-version but it too had allot of problems getting up to snuff on the laptop (the keyboard wasn't recognized at all for some great reason) so I had to stick with Mint 15 XFCE and theme it like I would have Crunchbang (not the same but what can you do?).
But after allot of thinking about it I installed it on the big computer - even though I thought it may not be the best fit. So now I have a "legit reason" to lurk! big_smile

(I tried adding the Sid repos to it and then I installed the 3.9 kernel and the newer Krita (which is that one single thing I need on it for work beyond Gimp, a working internetconnection and maybe Inkscape)

#11 2013-07-12 22:46:01

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

You might also take a look at the LinuxBBQ Darkside64 roast:

http://linuxbbq.org/wordpress/linuxbbq- … e64-amd64/

Just understand that all of the LinuxBBQ roasts track Debian Sid/Unstable, so are not recommended for new Linux users.

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

#12 2013-07-13 07:14:26

ohyran
#! Member
Website

Thanks Krunchtime - its the same that DebianJoe suggested above - the tricky part is that it wont recognize my keyboard on the laptop for some incredible reason (I really really wish I knew why but there ya go). Sid is more my kind of melody I think and borking or no - I've so far managed to handle the few little sputters that turned up (knock on wood). smile

Board footer