SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#176 2013-05-16 10:30:06

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

Re: Ideas for Janice

auto-updating menu

You already have one. It's called dmenu, and it's the greatest thing since marmite.

Point & Squirt

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#177 2013-05-16 11:06:09

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ I totally agree!  Some users just gotta have their developer-configured auto-updating menu like you find in Gnome, XFCE, or - gasp - Windows though, whether it's in a right-click menu or in something equivalent to the "Start button".

#178 2013-05-16 16:03:34

kiiroitori
#! CrunchBanger

I was just thinking...I don't own a ssd but wouldn't it be nice if there was a script to install crunchbang on such drive with all the right settings?
Also inclusion of packages like Anything-sync-daemon would be cool I guess...

I love #! more than my own kids. I told them and they sympathized.

#179 2013-05-16 16:43:56

ew
#! Die Hard

kiiroitori wrote:

I was just thinking...I don't own a ssd but wouldn't it be nice if there was a script to install crunchbang on such drive with all the right settings?
Also inclusion of packages like Anything-sync-daemon would be cool I guess...

What`s the right settings? Installing on a ssd is just as installing on a hdd. Some want to drop swap, others want to have it. Some will use fstrim manually, other as a cron job, and some will use online discard(fstab), while others doesn`t recommend it. There`s no such thing as the right settings...

- apt-mark hold account

#180 2013-05-16 19:15:55

damo
#! gimpbanger

pvsage wrote:

How about an option (one moar for cb-welcome?) to configure an auto-updating menu?  Acceptable compromise? 8o

I'm shocked at the sage's suggestion - my cb world will never be the same again! At this rate cb-welcome will be a full-featured bloated app: why not call it the Crunchbang Software Centre? tongue big_smile

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#181 2013-05-16 21:30:48

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ LULz!

@kiiroitori:  I agree with ew; from the moment I started install OSs different from Dellbuntu on my Mini (32GB SSD...don't remember the brand) everything seemed to go tickety-bo, with no complaints from the installer, Gparted, or anything else.  Only thing I set manually was noatime and relatime as boot options for both / and /home.

#182 2013-05-16 22:14:49

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

damo wrote:

At this rate cb-welcome will be a full-featured bloated app: why not call it the Crunchbang Software Centre? tongue big_smile

Eh? I thought you liked the gooey stuff. =P
Papanominal could also have the welcome script launch other sub-scripts for easy maintenance, instead of having all the code in one file.

Either way, looking at all the 'requests' here (Papanom's a Top40's DJ now, it seems), I think it's about time Mr.Peachy got started on his Really Kewl Linux.  Would be huge!!

Last edited by gutterslob (2013-05-16 22:15:13)

Point & Squirt

#183 2013-05-16 22:49:12

ew
#! Die Hard

pvsage wrote:

^ LULz!

@kiiroitori:  I agree with ew; from the moment I started install OSs different from Dellbuntu on my Mini (32GB SSD...don't remember the brand) everything seemed to go tickety-bo, with no complaints from the installer, Gparted, or anything else.  Only thing I set manually was noatime and relatime as boot options for both / and /home.

Yes, but you should also add "discard", if you`re not using "fstrim" like me. "relatime" is nice, but you don`t need to set it.  It`s been the default in Linux-kernels sine 2.6.30 or something like that.  I don`t use relatime as mount option, but I still boot with it, as it`s the kernel default. To test this, remove "relatime", reboot, and when up again, in terminal:(as you see below, relatime is still used without me setting it)

ew@CBmaster:~$ cat /proc/mounts
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
udev /dev devtmpfs rw,relatime,size=10240k,nr_inodes=1006432,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000 0 0
tmpfs /run tmpfs rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,size=806396k,mode=755 0 0
/dev/disk/by-uuid/45be6c0a-ac34-42f0-bceb-33069953003d / ext4 rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
tmpfs /run/lock tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k 0 0
tmpfs /run/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=1612780k 0 0
/dev/sda3 /media/cb_experimental ext4 rw,relatime,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/sda4 /media/distro2 ext4 rw,relatime,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/sda8 /media/filedrop ext4 rw,relatime,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/sda5 /media/hopper1 ext4 rw,relatime,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/sda6 /media/hopper2 ext4 rw,relatime,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
fusectl /sys/fs/fuse/connections fusectl rw,relatime 0 0
gvfs-fuse-daemon /home/ew/.gvfs fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000 0 0
ew@CBmaster:~$ 

- apt-mark hold account

#184 2013-05-16 22:54:01

kiiroitori
#! CrunchBanger

ew wrote:

What`s the right settings? Installing on a ssd is just as installing on a hdd (...) There`s no such thing as the right settings...

ew, pvsage, thanks for the clear up, I didn't know that. Actually I know almost nothing about SSDs but sometimes I cannot just refrain from giving my ignorant opinion  :8  I thought there might be some right settings like TRIM but then again I am not sure what I am writing right now. In any case I must stop posting after midnight if I want to post something clever !  big_smile

I love #! more than my own kids. I told them and they sympathized.

#185 2013-05-16 23:01:57

anonymous
The Mystery Member

gutterslob wrote:

Either way, looking at all the 'requests' here (Papanom's a Top40's DJ now, it seems), I think it's about time Mr.Peachy got started on his Really Kewl Linux.  Would be huge!!

Hahahaha I remember that...I think. Anyways +1000 for RKL.

#186 2013-05-17 00:04:55

ew
#! Die Hard

kiiroitori wrote:
ew wrote:

What`s the right settings? Installing on a ssd is just as installing on a hdd (...) There`s no such thing as the right settings...

ew, pvsage, thanks for the clear up, I didn't know that. Actually I know almost nothing about SSDs but sometimes I cannot just refrain from giving my ignorant opinion  :8  I thought there might be some right settings like TRIM but then again I am not sure what I am writing right now. In any case I must stop posting after midnight if I want to post something clever !  big_smile

Trim scared me also, before I got myself an ssd. It`s really easy. Either add discard to the mount-options, or do it manually now and then, with the command "sudo fstrim /" . This will trim the root-partition. If you want to trim other partitions, just add the name in the command". Example: "sudo fstrim /home" ... You can also easily make a script that includes all the partitions  you want to trim on a regular basis, and run it manually, or set it up as a cron job(daily). I didn`t want to do that, so I`m doing it manually.

- apt-mark hold account

#187 2013-05-17 03:28:41

intoCB
Scatweasel

pvsage wrote:

How about an option (one moar for cb-welcome?) to configure an auto-updating menu?  Acceptable compromise? 8o

Could be a confusing choice for precisely the target group it would be intended to help.

#188 2013-05-17 03:37:37

intoCB
Scatweasel

A purple and orange colour scheme, a launcher with large icons along the left side of the screen and Rhythmbox as default music player would be just what CrunchBang needs.

Maybe there could also be a question during the post-install script "Do you want an intrusive and underperforming retailer-integrated search functionality to be installed and slow down your computer?" There's a market for this kind of thing, apparently.

#189 2013-05-17 04:29:28

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@ew:  Thanks for reminding me; I did manually add discard to the mount options post-install.  (It's been nearly a year since I last saw my beloved netbook. 8.( )  I trust the relatime change is something I could check on my desktop with its HDD as well.

#190 2013-05-17 17:30:13

Vladorz

+1 systemd
+1 move gimp to cd-welcome
+1 remove abiword
+1 pidgin
also please add some nice !# wallpapers and an option in cd-welcome to install other character sets (like chinese/japanese characters big_smile. and no I'm not from Asia but I do visit sometimes websites that use those characters)

oh and I'd like to thank the developer for this amazing distro!

Last edited by Vladorz (2013-05-17 17:44:37)

#191 2013-05-17 18:08:07

IrrationlArtist

Is there anyway we can make this a poll? A forum is a pretty awful place for collecting lots and lots of opinions on a bajillion different things. I feel like we'll never get anywhere this way.

Maybe someone should set up a Google Docs poll based on the most major issues and send the results to CN?

signature.txt

#192 2013-05-17 19:06:23

damo
#! gimpbanger

gutterslob wrote:
damo wrote:

At this rate cb-welcome will be a full-featured bloated app: why not call it the Crunchbang Software Centre? tongue big_smile

Eh? I thought you liked the gooey stuff. =P

I like the stuff I want, and I even have a 3-pane Terminator permanently open cos I can do tippy-tappy as well tongue

My point is that if I invite software in I want it to sit in the chair I tell it to, and not speak until spoken to - I don't want to rush around the house trying to find out where it has decided to go smile

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#193 2013-05-17 20:19:52

wuxmedia
wookiee madclaw
Website

jeez, not going round yours for tea Damo!
but you're right. -- really as a *big* distro #!  should stay where it is.
well - advance, as HW continues it will continue to be 'lightweight(ish)' and great styling..

#194 2013-05-17 20:35:03

ew
#! Die Hard

IrrationlArtist wrote:

Is there anyway we can make this a poll? A forum is a pretty awful place for collecting lots and lots of opinions on a bajillion different things. I feel like we'll never get anywhere this way.

Maybe someone should set up a Google Docs poll based on the most major issues and send the results to CN?

This is no democracy. It`s Phillips distro, and in the end he will do whatever he feels will be the best for Crunchbang in regards to reaching the goals he has for this distro, and which crowd he want`s to attract... Shaping the distro based on polls would be the worst idea ever... Phillip has his own philosofy and he should stick to that regardless what any of us thinks about it. Of course he`s interested in our input, but at no time should he feel obligated to follow the wants of a majority on this or any other forum:)

- apt-mark hold account

#195 2013-05-17 20:50:14

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

^ He never said it was a democracy, he just wanted something that would show our opinions better. Don't be so touchy when it comes to your favorite distro  wink

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#196 2013-05-17 21:02:55

ew
#! Die Hard

Unia wrote:

^ He never said it was a democracy, he just wanted something that would show our opinions better. Don't be so touchy when it comes to your favorite distro  wink

I`m a bit afraid that the majority that way could get more influence than they should have. Crunchbang shouldn`t strive to be more user friendly. Quite the opposite. I would rather see that it alienated the typical Windows-users that wants a gui or a control-panel for everything. Let them stay at Windows, or run to buntu or mint, and let CB be a distro for the semi-advanced, or those that aspire to become just that. There has to be a learning curve to make it interesting.

- apt-mark hold account

#197 2013-05-17 21:11:39

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

Have faith in Papanomical, he knows what's best for the distro  {)

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#198 2013-05-17 21:26:08

ew
#! Die Hard

Unia wrote:

Yes, and that`s why a poll is unecessary  lol

- apt-mark hold account

#199 2013-05-17 21:50:49

anonymous
The Mystery Member

ew wrote:

Crunchbang shouldn`t strive to be more user friendly. Quite the opposite. I would rather see that it alienated the typical Windows-users that wants a gui or a control-panel for everything. Let them stay at Windows, or run to buntu or mint, and let CB be a distro for the semi-advanced, or those that aspire to become just that. There has to be a learning curve to make it interesting.

So like Arch Linux?  ]:D

Be excellent to each other!

#200 2013-05-17 22:00:20

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

ew wrote:
Unia wrote:

Yes, and that`s why a poll is unecessary  lol

I too wouldn't mind a poll, it would be way easier to see what people want - which is also what Corenominal wants otherwise he wouldn't have posted this.

Board footer