SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#151 2013-05-13 20:45:54

hq
#! Member
Website

Re: Ideas for Janice

slartie wrote:

I may be wrong here, but it seems to me that the welcome script, at least in part, is what makes #! so special. The gist of what I'm getting from this thread so far, is that just about everybody would like a much more in-depth "welcome experience" with a bunch of options for what to load up on the system - both catering to the GUI and the CLI crowd.

Sound about right?

I guess so (:

Dell Studio 1555

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#152 2013-05-13 20:47:23

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

I think that the welcome script is the obvious choice to use to add things and not 'change' the overall install and first boot experiences or ISO size... a better way to please more by adding less

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

I dev VSIDO

#153 2013-05-13 20:49:17

damo
#! gimpbanger

VastOne wrote:

^ Or smxi as part of the script or install

I was just about to suggest the same thing smile  It has stopped my nvidia installation gymnastics!

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#154 2013-05-13 20:52:21

ew
#! Die Hard

gebbeth wrote:

@anonymous
Because my laptop is old & shitty. It only has one VGA port that is broken. Also i just find multiple desktops messy & ineffective. But some people enjoy that kind of setup.

@ew
Of course i know it's easy to change the number of desktops. It was merely an idea, not an demand. Might as well been the other way around.

Sure, fine by me. No problem. I can change the number of desktop myself. But I actually think that the top tint2-bar, split into two taskbars gives Crunchbang a uniqe look....

- apt-mark hold account

#155 2013-05-14 12:30:32

Salad

I suggest using mpd + ncmpcpp as audio player. When properly configured, works like a charm wink
Also:
- remove Gimp, Abiword and Gnumeric (or include them in a more heavy iso, perhaps DVD?);
- give the opportunity to install Firefox Aurora/Nightly in the welcome script;
- give choice between stable and testing/sid repos, deb-multimedia etc.
- work on ubuntu-like font rendering.
I'm a newcomer, but i used to think of CB as a good desktop base, and a good desktop needs something between stable and updated! smile

Last edited by Salad (2013-05-14 12:32:03)

#156 2013-05-14 17:47:35

johnraff
nullglob
Website

I've always been surprised how few people seem to dislike terminator. I found it overkill and always switch to urxvt. There are other candidate terminal emulators too though. The choice matters somewhat because it's built into many menu entries etc.

+1 for radiotray, preferably with a choice selection of (working) stations. Just a nice simple app that seems to fit right in.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#157 2013-05-14 17:53:58

rkwurth
#! Junkie

Salad wrote:

give choice between stable and testing/sid repos, deb-multimedia etc.

I don't disagree, but would like to point out the the choice between stable and testing was present when choosing between Statler and Waldorf, and will be again when an iso's built for Janice.

#158 2013-05-14 18:22:10

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

johnraff wrote:

I've always been surprised how few people seem to dislike terminator. I found it overkill and always switch to urxvt. There are other candidate terminal emulators too though. The choice matters somewhat because it's built into many menu entries etc.

I've often wondered about that as well. I think it's because terminator is the most obvious everything-plus-kitchen-sink solution.

Not many people know about (or even want to learn about) Xresources, which would be required to configure rxvt or xterm, while you just have to right-click to access configuration menus in terminator. You also get mouse-controlled splitting and tabbing out-of-the-box with terminator, something you'd only be able to achieve with a multiplexer (screen, tmux, dvtm) and/or tabbing plugin for rxvt. Most of the 'big name' terminal emulators offer one or the other, but not both (xfce4-term and sakura have tabbing but no splitting, for example). Others like gnome-terminal or konsole probably bring in too many DE related dependencies.

In terminator's defence, it was very good in the early days (when bundled with #! 8.10/9.04). Only later did it get slow and heavy (like all pythons when they reach maturity). I think Papanom just stuck with it for the sake of familiarity.

Last edited by gutterslob (2013-05-14 20:56:27)

Point & Squirt

#159 2013-05-14 19:59:54

nebulaehair
#! Junkie

nebulaehair wrote:

Also can Janice be like Waldorf but with added bits of coolness here and there? I really like Waldorf. I'm at that point where I now know which linux distro is my favorite and I can easily say that #! is my favorite. I'm really looking forward for Janice's release. How about you guys include Guayadeque Music Player to #! ? Just a thought (one of the best music players out there imo).

ok ok so guayadeque is not THE best but it's right up there next to Audacious, just wanted to clarify that. Not that anyone cares, haha.

"The time we wish we spent but lost it all."
- Coheed and Cambria.

my favorite distros: solyd xk | kwheezy

#160 2013-05-14 21:18:05

nebulaehair
#! Junkie

nebulaehair wrote:
nebulaehair wrote:

Also can Janice be like Waldorf but with added bits of coolness here and there? I really like Waldorf. I'm at that point where I now know which linux distro is my favorite and I can easily say that #! is my favorite. I'm really looking forward for Janice's release. How about you guys include Guayadeque Music Player to #! ? Just a thought (one of the best music players out there imo).

ok ok so guayadeque is not THE best but it's right up there next to Audacious, just wanted to clarify that. Not that anyone cares, haha.

Also, is there an official date of the release of Janice yet?

"The time we wish we spent but lost it all."
- Coheed and Cambria.

my favorite distros: solyd xk | kwheezy

#161 2013-05-15 00:54:33

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ When corenominal builds it. tongue  Seriously though, if Waldorf is any indication, it will probably be sometime next spring; the first Waldorf images were available about a year after Statler/Squeeze had gone stable.

#162 2013-05-15 06:59:55

zubcho81
#! CrunchBanger

If we have something like

Jockey GTK

#! will be much more user friendly. Not everyone can or want to go to the console or smxi. smile Just my 2 cents.

Keep up the good work.  8o

Last edited by zubcho81 (2013-05-15 07:01:57)

Dried frog pills
As their name suggests, these are pills made chiefly from frogs, specifically the extremely poisonous ones that live in the vivarium at Unseen University and handled by the first-year students, so that if they kill one of them, not too much education has been wasted.

I use them daily! tongue

#163 2013-05-15 14:09:17

Salad

rkwurth wrote:
Salad wrote:

give choice between stable and testing/sid repos, deb-multimedia etc.

I don't disagree, but would like to point out the the choice between stable and testing was present when choosing between Statler and Waldorf, and will be again when an iso's built for Janice.

Yes i know, but it would be useful after installation, when Janice will be stable! smile

EDIT:
i've been thinking of including e4rat (or any other similar readahead daemon) by default!

Last edited by Salad (2013-05-15 14:25:45)

#164 2013-05-15 16:47:49

johnraff
nullglob
Website

zubcho81 wrote:

Jockey GTK

#! will be much more user friendly. Not everyone can or want to go to the console or smxi. smile Just my 2 cents.

Agree. Jockey was something I missed on the move to Debian. (Maybe the only thing I missed.) It was so simple getting the Nvidia driver I needed installed.

Unfortunately, I seem to recall seeing that Jockey had now been dropped from Ubuntu... I don't know if anything similar would now be a possibility on Debian.

John
--------------------

#165 2013-05-15 17:24:39

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Thinking about all these suggestions for alternative text-editors, media players, image viewers...
Could we be making more use of the Debian alternatives system, as suggested here: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=26418

It's possible to invent commands and add them to the system, eg I just tried:

sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/cb-image-viewer cb-image-viewer /usr/bin/viewnior 50

to make a new command "cb-image-viewer". This could then be used in the menus instead of calling a specific app, making it much easier for users to customize the defaults. (It would probably be a good idea to add cb-image-viewer.desktop to /usr/share/applications and maybe edit some file-association files too. See here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1501719 )

John
--------------------

#166 2013-05-15 17:30:00

yiannism01

I wouldn't change anything to "Waldorf" except:
1. Throw away Abiword and Gnumeric.
2. Add LXDE so to stop losing my time playing with and modifying tint2! big_smile
Everything else, as said b4, is just an apt-get away...

Last edited by yiannism01 (2013-05-15 17:31:44)

#167 2013-05-15 17:37:57

th3pun15h3r
#! Die Hard

johnraff wrote:
zubcho81 wrote:

Jockey GTK

Agree. Jockey was something I missed on the move to Debian. (Maybe the only thing I missed.) It was so simple getting the Nvidia driver I needed installed.

Unfortunately, I seem to recall seeing that Jockey had now been dropped from Ubuntu... I don't know if anything similar would now be a possibility on Debian.

could a install script and add in to the openbox menu help?  Like select either Nvidia or AMD/ati?

#168 2013-05-15 17:43:50

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

johnraff wrote:

Thinking about all these suggestions for alternative text-editors, media players, image viewers...
Could we be making more use of the Debian alternatives system, as suggested here: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=26418

sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/cb-image-viewer cb-image-viewer /usr/bin/viewnior 50

to make a new command "cb-image-viewer". This could then be used in the menus instead of calling a specific app, making it much easier for users to customize the defaults. (It would probably be a good idea to add cb-image-viewer.desktop to /usr/share/applications and maybe edit some file-association files too. See here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1501719 )

That's a sweet suggestion!

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#169 2013-05-15 18:40:55

joek
#! Junkie

Unia wrote:
johnraff wrote:

That's a sweet suggestion!

Thirded. This is a very good idea, I think. Doesn't break anything for those who like things how they are at the moment; makes life easier for those who want to change things.

#170 2013-05-15 21:55:26

Tyler R.

- Automatically updating menu
- Icons on Menu
- DeadBeef installed, leave gimp alone!
- Unified "Control panel"

Last edited by Tyler R. (2013-05-15 21:55:48)

#171 2013-05-15 22:06:19

xoraxiom

johnraff wrote:

+1 for this concept!

#172 2013-05-15 22:07:42

vic
#! by Default

corenominal wrote:

Good stuff. Nothing too wacky yet big_smile

Replace X server with Wayland, is that wacky enough? big_smile

Time to move on!#

#173 2013-05-15 23:48:56

ew
#! Die Hard

Tyler R. wrote:

- Automatically updating menu
- Icons on Menu
- DeadBeef installed, leave gimp alone!
- Unified "Control panel"

Certainly not. That`s way to userfriendly, and will attract people that we don`t want to have using the same distro as us. It could seriously demolish the geek-statuses that we all strive to achieve. You know the new linux slogun, it`s quite simple. " Do it yourself", and that`s exactly what you should do with the icons on the menu. It isn`t that hard to do, and it would give you a great sense of achievement if you actually went ahead and created that wasteful bloat yourself  ]:D

Last edited by ew (2013-05-15 23:51:40)

- apt-mark hold account

#174 2013-05-16 04:21:35

pvsage
Internal Affairs

How about an option (one moar for cb-welcome?) to configure an auto-updating menu?  Acceptable compromise? 8o

Be excellent to each other!

#175 2013-05-16 08:22:23

silince
#! CrunchBanger

I think we all need to brace ourselves for not getting everything we want! wink  Either that or have the most insanely complex welcome script ever...

Debian Wheezy on VeryPC Low Energy Desktop | Elementary on Lenovo Thinkpad SL510 | #! on Lenovo Ideapad S205 | Raspbmc on Pi | Linux Mint 17 XFCE on Lenovo W530.

Board footer