SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#251 2013-05-20 22:37:20

ew
#! Die Hard

Re: Ideas for Janice

gutterslob wrote:

I'd like to suggest someone create a new app that interfaces with our webcams, automatically taking shots of our mugs each time we post a suggestion in one of these "What to Include in Crunchbang" threads. Better yet, have the application gimp our mugshots by adding white wigs, like the ones they have on parliament tv.

Obviously, Queen Nominal (and Duke Bobobex) will still make the final decisions, rendering our bickering pointless.
A step up from regular parliament, that.

Obviously, the application will have to be lightweight, or else it'll get lynched by the usual mob of anorexic chavs.

Hehe. The bickering, as redundant as it is, is actually a nice thing. It shows engagement:)

- apt-mark hold account

Be excellent to each other!

#252 2013-05-20 23:04:16

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

@ew, in case you missed it: I send you a PM.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#253 2013-05-20 23:25:05

saneks
#! Die Hard

@ew - don't worry, I am not pissed off at all.. we are all just people on the internet big_smile

I just wanted to make a point about what I feel the #! design is about - an interesting full functional distro - as opposed to having a minimal iso and a huge script after install.. which most intermediate users don't need anyway to add their chromium or deadbeef. the welcome script is IMO a cool surprising nice feature to introduce you to some things ("don't fear the terminal") and make life easier. it welcomes you.

but putting lots of more choices in it?.. "hey people, check this out -  when you try it live it has nothing in, but is minimal as hell - you might not notice yet, but we have this great huuge post-install script for you after you wiped your old distro and install, which builds and fills your menu and asks you tons of questions and installs everything for you, and we promise this is gonna be a cool setup - trust us." - not too convincing a concept. who should it be aimed to? - new users like a nice selection of apps ootb, intermediate users can install and set up their own stuff, menus etc, and pro users can do their own installs on whatever base --

I see a valid point in keeping a small non-PAE version for old machines, combined with a script that might be basically cb-welcome plus option for apt-getting the defaults of the main release, if desired.

nuff said for today.. we should think about details to improve, while keeping the #! qualities to it. Amen.

Last edited by saneks (2013-05-20 23:30:04)

eee701 user & other lap/desktops

#254 2013-05-20 23:58:07

anonymous
The Mystery Member

saneks wrote:

but putting lots of more choices in it?.. "hey people, check this out -  when you try it live it has nothing in, but is minimal as hell - you might not notice yet, but we have this great huuge post-install script for you after you wiped your old distro and install, which builds and fills your menu and asks you tons of questions and installs everything for you, and we promise this is gonna be a cool setup - trust us." - not too convincing a concept. who should it be aimed to?

Idk, that sounds kinda cool. It seems like a logical intermediate step between having a distro that has xorg, a WM/DE, and apps OOTB versus distros don't install anything. You would neither have to remove the default apps nor install the basics (xorg and WM/DE). We could have a CrunchBang Lite Edition with just Openbox and this script.

#255 2013-05-21 00:21:35

ew
#! Die Hard

Unia wrote:

@ew, in case you missed it: I send you a PM.

I got it. I saw it just now. Thanks for the PM, everything is fine:)

- apt-mark hold account

#256 2013-05-21 00:24:56

ew
#! Die Hard

saneks wrote:

@ew - don't worry, I am not pissed off at all.. we are all just people on the internet big_smile

I just wanted to make a point about what I feel the #! design is about - an interesting full functional distro - as opposed to having a minimal iso and a huge script after install.. which most intermediate users don't need anyway to add their chromium or deadbeef. the welcome script is IMO a cool surprising nice feature to introduce you to some things ("don't fear the terminal") and make life easier. it welcomes you.

Good point. I tend to forget the live-enviroment because I never use it. I always install the distros that I want to take a look at:)

- apt-mark hold account

#257 2013-05-21 00:30:34

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Unia wrote:
joek wrote:

Remove GParted? Really? I still dislike command-line partitioning tools, having been forced to do it a few times. I would strongly suggest keeping Gparted, as one of the few instances where I think that the 'easy to use' GUI version is legitimately easier to use without losing too much of the command line's flexibility.

That.

This. smile  I have had to reformat a HD from the Live media in the past (due to trouble with the installer not properly creating partitions), and Gparted has been my go-to for this purpose.  If there were an acceptable ncurses UI for parted, I think that might be an acceptable alternative.

#258 2013-05-21 00:37:47

ew
#! Die Hard

pvsage wrote:

This. smile  I have had to reformat a HD from the Live media in the past (due to trouble with the installer not properly creating partitions), and Gparted has been my go-to for this purpose.  If there were an acceptable ncurses UI for parted, I think that might be an acceptable alternative.

Yes, but I`m probably not the only one who have 10-20 live-cd`s with GParted on. It doesn`t have to be Crunchbang:)

Last edited by ew (2013-05-21 00:39:02)

- apt-mark hold account

#259 2013-05-21 02:27:07

saneks
#! Die Hard

anonymous wrote:
saneks wrote:

but putting lots of more choices in it?.. "hey people, check this out -  when you try it live it has nothing in, but is minimal as hell - you might not notice yet, but we have this great huuge post-install script for you after you wiped your old distro and install, which builds and fills your menu and asks you tons of questions and installs everything for you, and we promise this is gonna be a cool setup - trust us." - not too convincing a concept. who should it be aimed to?

Idk, that sounds kinda cool. It seems like a logical intermediate step between having a distro that has xorg, a WM/DE, and apps OOTB versus distros don't install anything. You would neither have to remove the default apps nor install the basics (xorg and WM/DE). We could have a CrunchBang Lite Edition with just Openbox and this script.

saneks wrote:

I see a valid point in keeping a small non-PAE version for old machines, combined with a script that might be basically cb-welcome plus option for apt-getting the defaults of the main release, if desired.

having a full iso and lite iso for all architectures would double the download options.. I'd be ok with that. but maybe confusing? probably just a matter of laying out the homepage..

the idea above would be ok for a second lite edition. but I doubt it'd be attractive as the only option if you want to testdrive #! before install. (and dont forget about offline installs) - I use the live system a lot- yes, it is not meant to be a live distro, but it is perfectly usable. I click twice to change the keyboard layout. that's it. setup done. all there. looks good. works. wow. this is very convincing for new users! -

after all, as I understand, corenominal partly pays his bills with crunchbang donations and ads from the search-page and logically has to offer a pleasant ootb experience to new users coming from the big distros in search for a lighter and somehow geekier, yet functional system.

I really want to stress this ootb experience: when you install openbox on top of another distro, it is lightyears from like it is implemented crunchbang. it is just amazing what is put in the #! rightclick menu - seeing this clean menu, filled with a balanced choice of apps, config files and useful pipemenus, invites you to explore the configs and possibilities of the system right away.. that is really inspiring for new #!/OB users and is definitely an important selling point.

just want to push the discussion in this direction, on how to make that even better.. details..

some more suggestions..

- maybe add a line in default conky "super+arrowkeys - snap windows" - some people don't know cb-aerosnap yet.
- include a #! theme save and switch tool for bundling ob-settings, font settings, background, maybe also for changing conky.cfg - yeah - (like crunchbox?)
- find a good uses for the cb-hotcorner feature (should be not switched on by default, but access from the main menu, maybe add some example options to the cfg-file like in rc.xml)
- I love the expose-all-windows function in the heavier window managers.. is there an option in ob to tile all windows of one desktop on one screen? probably a mess if not scaled down - or maybe a program to snapshot all windows and tile scaled down versions to choose windows from? - seems a bit more complicated..
- improve partitioning in installer

Last edited by saneks (2013-05-21 02:28:39)

#260 2013-05-21 07:10:52

nore
>2^9

saneks wrote:

- I love the expose-all-windows function in the heavier window managers.. is there an option in ob to tile all windows of one desktop on one screen?

1. skippy-xd

2. Cairo Composite Manager Mosaic Plugin

#261 2013-05-21 08:40:09

gebbeth

1. Systemd

2. Remove Abiword and Gnumeric, and add them as a office-choice in the welcome-script, together with Libreoffice

3. Remove Gimp, VLC and GParted. Add them to the welcome-script, or as install options from the menu.

4. Remove slim, and add Lightdm instead, configured with Crunchbang backgrounds and themes...

That`s pretty much all we can agree on, so let`s do this ]:D

Very good summation cool  Programs as choices on the cb-welcome instead of preinstalled would at least to me be very welcome (Less to uninstall and smaller iso).

#262 2013-05-21 18:31:34

morlog

A net install version of the install would be nice.

I have a signature

#263 2013-05-21 19:10:12

diegoelsurfer
Website

Very good summation cool  Programs as choices on the cb-welcome instead of preinstalled would at least to me be very welcome (Less to uninstall and smaller iso).

I agree with the four issues... I removed gimp in every distro i have ever installed... For me, the less preinstalled programs, the better.

Last edited by diegoelsurfer (2013-05-21 19:12:08)

http://www.vanguardiasur.com.ar
embedded systems & kernel development

#264 2013-05-21 20:18:24

omns
#! wanderer

ew wrote:

Do it yourself.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xfce4 xfce4-goodies
sudo apt-get install lightdm

VOILA, XFCE :)

Great tip. Thanks roll

]:D

#265 2013-05-21 21:57:16

kbmonkey
#! Die Hard
Website

^ What @dura said. Too much personal preferences for default apps floating around, I want to see more core suggestions!

I still stand by my only addition: a simplistic backup / restore mechanism. I don't care for gui, I want more bang!

OT and for the record: you can tab-complete commands in dmenu and type parameters in there too. Just saying smile

Edit: And do not dare suggest removing gparted! It is a vital, live environment tool, no doubt.

Last edited by kbmonkey (2013-05-21 21:58:50)

#266 2013-05-21 22:05:36

anonymous
The Mystery Member

kbmonkey wrote:

I want to see more core suggestions!

Just for clarity, what would be considered a core suggestion?

#267 2013-05-21 22:07:30

saneks
#! Die Hard

nore wrote:
saneks wrote:

- I love the expose-all-windows function in the heavier window managers.. is there an option in ob to tile all windows of one desktop on one screen?

1. skippy-xd

2. Cairo Composite Manager Mosaic Plugin

thanks for that, nore!   skippy-xd is pretty awesome.. (but it should show window decoration or frames, as terminal windows are hard to discern on dark backgrounds.. and the window-name popups are sometimes toooo long) - very cool it can show live video-playback and close or minimize windows with it. what a neat tiny program. a Openbox gem, truly.

yeah, connect that with cb-hotcorners.. add hotcorner to the settings in the menu to turn it all on, and add a link to  the hotcorners config file.. nice one. the expose function is the best thing since sliced bread.

Last edited by saneks (2013-05-21 22:31:05)

#268 2013-05-22 05:14:13

nore
>2^9

saneks wrote:

skippy-xd is pretty awesome.. (but it should show window decoration or frames, as terminal windows are hard to discern on dark backgrounds.. and the window-name popups are sometimes toooo long)

Tweak your ~/.config/skippy-xd/skippy-xd.rc.

#269 2013-05-22 07:28:02

hq
#! Member
Website

What do you guys think about having the Synaptic app? Pretty cool search app

Dell Studio 1555

#270 2013-05-22 08:50:52

ew
#! Die Hard

hq wrote:

Synaptic is nice, but it`s already present in Waldorf. Just rightclick on your desktop, choose system, and there you will find the Synaptic Package Manager...

- apt-mark hold account

#271 2013-05-22 09:55:48

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

whereisthetea wrote:

I remember using something called xournal to do something like that. It is a note taking application but it can use pdf file as a background.

Thank you whereisthetea, will check it out.

From ArchBang to SlackBang | Project SlackBang

Say no to bugs. - It's not a bug, it's a worm.

#272 2013-05-22 10:31:45

Alefa

hq wrote:

ew wrote:

Synaptic is nice, but it`s already present in Waldorf. Just rightclick on your desktop, choose system, and there you will find the Synaptic Package Manager...

I think hq meant Synapse, the search and launch tool, not Synaptic, the package management frontend. Synapse is nice, but I've experienced some graphical glitches in Crunchbang. I'm currently using Kupfer, a similar program. Gnome-do still exists as well.

#273 2013-05-22 11:05:22

hq
#! Member
Website

^ exactly sorry guys sad

I used Gnome-do before, but Synapse seemed somehow easier to use, I'll give Kupfer a try. Thank you!

Dell Studio 1555

#274 2013-05-22 11:10:29

zenjester

Tiling

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#275 2013-05-22 11:52:26

uname
#! Junkie

Tiling

Tiling or a tiling wm?

I use in openbox

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=119020

Board footer